magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Grabs 1 Million Phone Numbers for Google Voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicjack6666
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Google Grabs 1 Million Phone Numbers for Google Voice Reply with quote

from pcworld.com

c/p

"Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:24 AM PDT

Google last month reserved 1 million phone numbers with Level 3, signaling that it may finally be ready to roll out its long-anticipated Google Voice service.

The free service, announced in March, lets users unify their phone numbers, allowing them to have a single number through Google Voice that rings a call through to all their phones.

Sources could not say when the 1 million numbers may be assigned. Level 3 has been supplying Google with phone numbers since the introduction of Google Voice, so the 1 million numbers are an indication Google is close to adding a significant amount of users.

A Google spokesperson would only say "as a matter of policy, we typically do not comment on contracts with third-party technology suppliers."

A public launch has been anticipated since Google said in March the service would be "open to new users soon." There has been speculation that the service would begin today � June 18 � but Google has yet to make an announcement.

"I've only been using Google Voice for a few months, but it's completely changed the way I use voicemail and communicate, just in general," said Kevin Dando, director of digital and education communications for PBS. "When it goes public, I think the rush to grab Google Voice numbers is going to be stunning. I know some of my friends check the Google Voice page almost every day to see when they can grab a number and get started using it."

Google Voice has a number of unique features including call transfer between a user's devices, multi-party conferencing, conversion of voice calls to text messages, cut-rate international calling, and call transcription.

Google also has integrated the Voice service with Gmail contact lists.

But the gem is the fact that a user can have one phone number people can dial to reach them regardless of where they are located, either home or mobile. Google Voice uses VoIP to link collections of phone numbers.

Google Voice is a product of Google's March 2007 acquisition of GrandCentral. For the past two years, however, it appeared the GrandCentral technology had been tossed into a black hole.

But on March 11, Google announced Google Voice and opened the service up only to former GrandCentral users.

Last week, TechCrunch reported that Google would add number portability later this year to Google Voice, which would let users keep one of their existing phone numbers as their Google Voice number. For example, users could make their cell phone number their Google Voice number.

The feature is significant because switching to a new Google Voice number comes with a cost such as having to distribute the new number to friends and family. In addition, outbound calls and text messages show the phone number you are calling from and not your Google Voice number."

direct link
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/166978/google_grabs_1_million_phone_numbers_for_google_voice.html
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is accurate because I was afraid Google would abandon GV altogether. I was fortunate enough to get in during a brief window last year. For those who are interested, lately I've been using it with iDialer and my Samsung Omnia to make outgoing calls. (http://supware.net/iDialer/)

There is also a complementary app, iContacts, from the same author. Since Verizon has just added Friends and Family to their service, it's a great way to keep my minutes low.

More importantly, if GV rolls out to more users, I would expect some more really cool apps to follow. Yea!
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
More importantly, if GV rolls out to more users, I would expect some more really cool apps to follow. Yea!

Care to speculate what this means for Dan?

Many have speculated MJ was just a quick roll out looking for a buyer. Potential buyers were suggested to be Google, Walmart. With Google getting back into VoIP in a big way, it indicates to me Dan's not going to get any offers from Google. Any hopes he had for a buyout seem greatly diminished.

Unless it creates demand from competitors to enter the same arena. Then MJ would be an easy way to do it.

Mark
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Care to speculate what this means for Dan?

Not really sure how GV will affect Dan. IMO, probably not much at all, since it still requires a device from which to make and receive calls. I see them as complimentary technologies. Or, at least that's how I'm using them. As I mentioned in a previous post, both my MJ numbers are forwarded to GV, which is forwarded to my cell phone.

With MJ, I simply call out - that's it. My most frequently called numbers are in the handset, so it's not much different than my old, long-since-retired, land line. With Google Voice, I have to look up the contact, wait to receive the incoming GV connection, and finally connect to the other party. It's a little cumbersome if you're in a hurry.

The fly in the ointment for Dan, however, could be the development of third party apps once GV is rolled out. Hard to even imagine what the possiblities are, but I think it will be exciting to find out.
magicjack6666
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up

I got an invite today.....

I can't remember when I ask for it. It must have been a while back during grandcentral times. probably over 6 months ago.
lcompton
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Me Too... Reply with quote

Good morning, magicjack6666.

magicjack6666 wrote:
I got an invite today.....

I received my invite last evening. Isn't Google Voice so neat?!

magicjack6666 wrote:
I can't remember when I ask for it. It must have been a while back during grandcentral times. probably over 6 months ago.

I wish I could remember when I requested my invite. It was a long time ago though. I had completely forgotten about it.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool service.
I recieved my invitation and it's awesome to say the least.

Unfortunately, I live in Canada and the only US number I have is the magicjack.
I certainly hope they open up to Canada soon, with Canadian numbers.

I had to use a proxy just to accept the invitation, as I was located outside of the United States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: