magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Voice �> Skype Call Cap...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcompton
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Google Voice �> Skype Call Cap... Reply with quote

Good evening.

I've discovered something that may be of interest to others who have Google Voice and either have Skype or are planning to purchase Skype and use it with Google Voice. Inbound calls through Google Voice and answered on Skype are capped at 15 minutes. I've been able to confirm this through multiple tests.

I only discovered this late this afternoon quite by accident when someone called me and I picked up the call on my Skype-connected telephone. The call dropped at exactly 15 minutes, which made me suspicious. I then went on to review my received calls log on Google Voice and discovered that I had other inbound calls that exceeded 15 minutes, but they were answered either on my wireless telephone or Gizmo5 ATA-attached telephone. I ran a couple of other tests with inbound calls through Google Voice answered with my wireless telephones (T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless) and the calls successfully exceeded 15 minutes in all test cases.

My Skype service is up in early January and I am not planning to renew for another USD59.50/annum. Google Voice �> Gizmo5 seems to meet my needs for inbound calling (with the unconfirmed Google Voice three hour call cap) and I'm probably going to end up using T-Mobile's unlimited calling plan for USD49.95/month for outbound calling, wireless service and a workaround to the Google Voice three-hour call cap if needed. It seems to be the best value right now.

I also purchased the A.T.& T. Bluetooth Cordless Answering System so I can tie the Gizmo5 ATA telephone line and my T-Mobile telephone line to the same home cordless telephone system.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the TK6000? That looks to me like the best deal around, atm.
A friend of mine just bought one, and they are pretty cool, works great.

100 bucks for lifetime service, unlimited to US and Canada, call waiting, caller id, voicemail, threeway calling, etc.

Not to mention it can either plug into your router or your usb slot.
lcompton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening, JohnnyFreightTRAIN.

JohnnyFreightTRAIN wrote:
Have you tried the TK6000? That looks to me like the best deal around, atm.

Nope. I'm still with my Google Voice <�> Gizmo5 setup. It's great. It doesn't cost me a penny and I have two lines going through my Linksys PAP2T. Smile

True, I do need to use a computer to make outbound toll calls, but I have a wireless telephone back-up as well.

A friend of mine just bought one, and they are pretty cool, works great.

That's nice. I haven't spent a penny on equipment or telephone service since setting up my ATA last summer. Smile

100 bucks for lifetime service, unlimited to US and Canada, call waiting, caller id, voicemail, threeway calling, etc.

I spent about USD50.00 for an ATA that I can use over and over again with any VoIP provider. Smile

Not to mention it can either plug into your router or your usb slot.

My ATA sits on the Ethernet backbone of my network. I did upgrade to a Linksys E3000 a couple of months ago, which has been an awesome move. I now have network accessible storage as well as a gigabit Ethernet backbone and Wireless-N/dual-band networking. Smile

I'm really liking the Google Voice <�> Gizmo5 setup, too. In fact, I'm on the fence about dumping my wireless telephony service and pocketing the money each month. It's a shame Verizon will increase my DSL by USD11.99/month if I dump the wireless telephone service. Sad

Oh, no call caps either! Razz
macman4hire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icompton have you tried to configure your GV/G5 accounts using Sip Sorcery to automate a seamless call out experience? Doing so is a simple process and you will no longer have to use the GV web interface to initiate out going calls. I have provided you a link below if you would like to investigate this any further.

http://code.google.com/p/google-voice-sipsorcery-dialplans/w/list
macman4hire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icompton have you tried to configure your GV/G5 accounts using Sip Sorcery to automate a seamless call out experience? Doing so is a simple process and you will no longer have to use the GV web interface to initiate out going calls. I have provided you a link below if you would like to investigate this any further.

lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, macman4hire.

macman4hire wrote:

The short answer is no. I had a look at a few of the pages at the link you provided, but I didn't see any clear-cut explanation on how to implement Sip Sorcery to be able to call out from a Gizmo5-attached telephone through Google Voice.

Is there a straight-forward soup-to-nuts narrative describing the process without having to hunt for bits and pieces of information?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcompton wrote:
Good morning, macman4hire.

macman4hire wrote:

The short answer is no. I had a look at a few of the pages at the link you provided, but I didn't see any clear-cut explanation on how to implement Sip Sorcery to be able to call out from a Gizmo5-attached telephone through Google Voice.

Is there a straight-forward soup-to-nuts narrative describing the process without having to hunt for bits and pieces of information?
Try this one it helped me setup my Gizmo5 line/Google Voice line with Sipsorcery http://sipsorcery.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/google-voice-app-tutorial/ hope it helps.
lcompton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening, sabresfan.

sabresfan wrote:
lcompton wrote:

Try this one it helped me setup my Gizmo5 line/Google Voice line with Sipsorcery http://sipsorcery.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/google-voice-app-tutorial/ hope it helps.

I had a look at the page to which you linked. Did you see this note at the bottom of the page:

Quote:
Caveats. Google obviously didn�t intend for people to be able to hook up their SIP devices to make free calls. I assume free calls via the Callback mechanism on the Google Voice web site pays off by driving web traffic to the site. With a SIP call there is no such pay off. As such the sipsorcery solution and other solutions around the web are hacks. That means they are susceptible to breaking or being blocked it Google get annoyed with the SIP calls. On the mysipswitch Forums there are already reports of the occassional call failing with a HTTP 500 Server Error. Watching the sipsorcery logs I have seen a few calls getting the same. That error maybe because there was something about the call request Google didn�t like, you can test that by using the same values in a Callback from the Google Voice page, or it may be that the HTTP requests that are sent from sipsorcery to Google are occassionally going to get rejected for some reason (the 500 Server Error was caused by a bug in the sipsorcery code). The point is if you want to use this sort of solution on sipsorcery or elsewhere you will probably need to accept that not every call is going to work (that being said none of my own test calls have failed yet).

It doesn't quite instill confidence in the effort. Confused

Is anyone actually running Gizmo5, Google Voice and Sipsorcery together to enable outbound toll calling without a computer? I'd be interested in learning of others' experiences as well as how frequently they use the setup.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this setup for about 4 month's now. I register my gizmo account with sipsorcery and then my ata to sipsorcery. It adds about 1 ring on average to the person you are calling. It's not for everyone but does work great if you feel comfortable using it. I keep this as my secondary line to save a few dollars. There is no 911 with this setup and google can block this at anytime just as MJ did last summer. This also works with ipkall if you do not feel comfortable using your Gizmo credentials with sipsorcery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: