magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guess What

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Guess What Reply with quote

I haven't had any of these problems listed on these pages after I did a comparison test ofMJ and ooma. I have finally put MJ in a drawer and ended the frustration of making a simple phone call. ooma is just like a landline except there is no monthy bill. Yes it is more expensive than MJ, but there are none of MJ agrivations.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess What Reply with quote

gators5 wrote:
I haven't had any of these problems listed on these pages after I did a comparison test ofMJ and ooma. I have finally put MJ in a drawer and ended the frustration of making a simple phone call. ooma is just like a landline except there is no monthy bill. Yes it is more expensive than MJ, but there are none of MJ agrivations.

Good for you! Have a nice day.
sligg111
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess What Reply with quote

maine-iac wrote:
gators5 wrote:

Good for you! Have a nice day.

Gave up on MJ seven months ago. For seven months, I have not had one problem with my new VOIP service-Ooma.
murphy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess What Reply with quote

sligg111 wrote:
Gave up on MJ seven months ago. For seven months, I have not had one problem with my new VOIP service-Ooma.

I'm confused. You gave up on MJ 7 months ago. You joined this forum 3.5 months ago. Why are you posting here?
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check these forums almost every day. I use both MJ and ooma and I have to say that ooma outperforms MJ in every way except price. I use the MJ for trips and such and keep my ooma as my home phone system.

If people are willing to drop the money on ooma and the risk involved with an invistment like that I would say go for it. It works great! If you are looking for an inexpensive backup phone then MJ all the way.
Anne
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it no one ever recommends Skype?

Anne
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, Anne, you must really enjoy eating the worms that come out of a newly opened can! Laughing There are several reasons why Skype is the ugly stepcousin of VoIP.

First, it is a closed protocol instant messaging service that has the facility to carry voice payload. It is not a VoIP service. As such, it is not possible to use any standards-based client devices with their service, only dedicated equipment or a PC. By contrast, MJ uses the world standard SIP protocol as its transport mechanism, which allows for all of the "alternate client" solutions you have seen in the Tips and Tricks and Thin Client categories of this forum. Using SIP as the transport mechanism also permits other hacks, like the various proxy choosing hacks, even if you choose to remain using the MJ dongle on your PC.

Second, Skype's underlying network is an outgrowth of KaZaa, the P2P file sharing system that was popular 7-10 years ago. In fact, it was created by the same folks, who needed a new opportunity when the various governments around the world started arresting KaZaa customers for illegal file sharing. KaZaa and Skype both use a network scheme that stays afloat by leeching off the horsepower and bandwidth contributions of its members. This manifested itself badly for them about 18 months ago, when Microsoft released a major Service Pack for Windows XP. Unbeknownst to Skype, every PC that is set to take automatic updates from MS does so at the same hour, around 3AM local time. As this update rolled around the globe, every computer in each Time Zone started downloading the SP at the same time and, once finished downloading, installed the SP and rebooted. Once having rebooted, these PCs waited until daybreak for their owners to wake up, log in and restart the Skype client. Skype learned that with more than half of its supernodes (Skype clients who have enough bandwidth and/or computer horsepower to act as relay points in the "network") off line in each Time Zone its network had no means of support. They also learned that the network scheme was not self healing, and it took them several days to restore service. I am sure they made some changes in network topology since then, but as a closed protocol none of these changes, nor the current network engineering scheme, are public knowledge.

I would be curious to learn what anyone knows about their remedies.
norml jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjack service continues to be flawless for me.

Last edited by norml jack on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mufon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.

Last edited by mufon on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
root
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the Magicjack is superbly functional. Most problems are on the end-user. We live in a time were unsophisticated persons are delving into the consumption of some products that they are not able to handle if said product is not perfectly idiot-proofed.

root
ret27m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto norml jack, except for a minor hic-up here and there mine has preformed way beyond my exspectations, and has saved me hundreds of dollars too boot, i fired ma bell long ago..... Laughing
Anne
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, mberlant, for your teaching answer; I love technology and in this case skype history. BTW, all the worms I eat are made from soy.

I really appreciate the upbeat answers from everyone about how well mj works for them; me, too, but I'm superstitious enough to make an impromptu mojo over the device before connecting it.

Thanks, everyone - I really enjoy being somewhat literate in electronics.

Anne
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
...Second, Skype's underlying network is an outgrowth of KaZaa, the P2P file sharing system that was popular 7-10 years ago. In fact, it was created by the same folks, who needed a new opportunity when the various governments around the world started arresting KaZaa customers for illegal file sharing. KaZaa and Skype both use a network scheme that stays afloat by leeching off the horsepower and bandwidth contributions of its members...

Thanks for reminding me that Skype is a P2P implementation. I forgot, and kept Skype up even when not using it. Don't want them to use my system as a node.
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for skype using you as a node, there is a simple script that you can get to disable the "feature" It changes something in the registry. a simple yahoo search will find it for ya. If you are having problems locating it semd me a message I think I have it here somewhere
MJKobe
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative thread.

I just hope Ooma doesn't become a SunRocket in the process because their pricing is very similar to SunRocket.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?
I wasn't around for sunrocket...
Sunrocket dongles costed 200.00+ !!!????
Holy crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: