magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help. MJ on new TC T5710. After a call, MJ unloads itself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Help. MJ on new TC T5710. After a call, MJ unloads itself Reply with quote

Hi,
I upgraded to a HP T5710 from an T5700. MJ worked fine on the T5700. On the T5710, MJ installs, the blue led in the dongle lights up. I can make one call. But after I hang up, MJ unloads itself. In other words, the MJ interface disappears. And on the telephone, I don't have a dial tone anymore.

If I unplug the MJ and re-plug in, the blue light illuminates momentarily, then goes out. The MJ is on a 6' USB extension (same as when I had the T5700). Plugging the MJ directly into the TC doesn't help.

If I do a soft reboot (Start, Shutdown, Restart) on the TC, MJ won't reload. I have to power off completely and restart.

I have 2 MJ's and symptoms are the same with both on this particular T5710.

Any tips?

thanks.
davrow
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the T5710 this time, not the MJ. So, give us some specs to work with... processor, speed, flash, ram, router, internet line speed... then we'll make guesses that may or may not help anything. Shocked
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davrow wrote:
Sounds like the T5710 this time, not the MJ. So, give us some specs to work with... processor, speed, flash, ram, router, internet line speed... then we'll make guesses that may or may not help anything. Shocked

HP Thin Client T5710
1.2 Ghz processor
512 Flash (stock HP TC)
512 RAM (stock HP TC)
XPe 5.1.336 Rev. A 26 Jun 2007
DirectX 9

Router: Linksys WRT150N
Cable Internet: 5 Mbps down, 512 Kbps up

The same MJ works fine on the 1 GHz T5700 with 256F/256R and without DirectX loaded.

The router and Internet work fine when the MJ is plugged into the T5700 or either of the 2 laptops.

Agreed, it looks like the TC is the culprit. I have another T5710 coming in a week or so and I'll have another unit to run comparative tests.

For now, I've put the T5700 back in place and the MJ works fine.

thanks.
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to update the USB drivers. HolmanGT provided some instructions which are included in my upgrade sticky (or look in my sig) in the Troubleshooting section. It's the one about the blue screen when plugging in the USB. Follow those instructions, commit and see if that helps. Also make sure you disable power saving mode as the instructions mention.

EDIT: NM, I think you already did this per our PM conversation.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
You may need to update the USB drivers. HolmanGT provided some instructions which are included in my upgrade sticky (or look in my sig) in the Troubleshooting section.

Hi,
Right, I had to do the switch to the standard MS USB driver from Ali to prevent the blue screen of death.

Weird. I wonder if the USB port on the T5710 is putting out enough oomph? I tried all 4 ports on the TC, no difference. I'll dig out a powered hub and try. Will report back.

-Tony
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update.
Thanks ret27m for the T5710 image. It helped a bit as I could make a few test calls before MJ unloaded itself.

The MJ interface just disappears off the screen and out of task manager. Oddly, when I call up My Computer and poke around the MJ directories, My Computer will disappear too, just quit.

Currently I'm testing how long MJ will run before it unloads itself. It seems to run well for awhile, then when I come back to the PC, I notice MJ has unloaded. Only a hard restart will have MJ re-load again.

Weird. The same MJ worked fine for the past 6 weeks on a T5700 TC.

Task manager reports 22 processes, 1-2% CPU usage at idle, and a commit charge of 149,336K / 416,909K. The TC has 512Flash, 512 RAM, running 1.2 GHz. It's got the TM8600 processor.

I've confirmed the USB ports use the MS driver, not the Ali one. Also the power management option to turn off USB ports to save power are disabled.
stroths

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony wrote:
An update.
Thanks ret27m for the T5710 image. It helped a bit as I could make a few test calls before MJ unloaded itself.

The MJ interface just disappears off the screen and out of task manager. Oddly, when I call up My Computer and poke around the MJ directories, My Computer will disappear too, just quit.

Currently I'm testing how long MJ will run before it unloads itself. It seems to run well for awhile, then when I come back to the PC, I notice MJ has unloaded. Only a hard restart will have MJ re-load again.

Weird. The same MJ worked fine for the past 6 weeks on a T5700 TC.

Task manager reports 22 processes, 1-2% CPU usage at idle, and a commit charge of 149,336K / 416,909K. The TC has 512Flash, 512 RAM, running 1.2 GHz. It's got the TM8600 processor.

I've confirmed the USB ports use the MS driver, not the Ali one. Also the power management option to turn off USB ports to save power are disabled.

Have you looked through the Windows event log? Should be accessible through the control panel under Administrative Tools. It might give you a better idea of what it happening.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
Have you looked through the Windows event log? Should be accessible through the control panel under Administrative Tools. It might give you a better idea of what it happening.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check on the next failure. Weird, MJ has been running for a couple of hours without unloading now and I've made test calls to my bank's automated system. The one change I did was to disable turning the monitor off in right-click Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > Power > Turn off monitor > Never.

However, the TC runs an extended desktop viewer so is there is activity all the time so I don't think disabling turning off the monitor changes anything really.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
The MJ interface unloaded twice in the last few hours. I still don't have a time estimate for how long before it unloads. I leave the computer for a few hours and when I get back, the MJ interface is gone.

Checking the event logs, there are no errors with applicable times. There is one error under Component Services > Event Viewer (Local) > System

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Serial
Event Category: None
Event ID: 18
Date: 1/4/2009
Time: 9:55:04 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HP-JUHA61OQUADQ
Description:
No Parameters subkey was found for user defined data. This is odd, and it also means no user configuration can be found.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 56 00 ......V.
0008: 00 00 00 00 12 00 06 c0 .......�
0010: 53 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 S.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

MJ's blue light is still on. Checking My Computer, both "drives" on the MJ dongle are empty of files. Unplug the MJ, re-plug back in (TC is still running), blue goes on for about 1 second then goes out. MJ won't reload.

Do a soft restart, MJ loads (contrary to what I said in original post).

On my 2-line phone, when MJ fails, the red light goes on indicating 'line in use" (or in my case, MJ not connected to a MJ server).
ret27m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as crazy as this sounds tony, do a restart and as soon as the MJ loads and says ready to use do a commit and then do a restart and see if that fixes you problem.....
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
as crazy as this sounds tony, do a restart and as soon as the MJ loads and says ready to use do a commit and then do a restart and see if that fixes you problem.....

Hi ret27m,
Thanks. I've just plugged in the T5710 in place of the T5700, and did a commit > restart. I'll let it run and report on what happens. If MJ is still loaded in the morning, it'll be a resolution.

-Tony
newtoncd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the self-powered USB hub make any difference?
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Hi,
On the powered hub, it didn't make any difference. MJ still unloaded after a couple of hours or less. I'm back to plugging directly into the TC's.

On doing a commit right after loading, it seemed to work as MJ stayed resident (we still use that term these days?) and was still active the next morning. But shortly after some test calls, it unloaded itself.

At times after a soft reset (Start > Shut down > Restart), MJ wouldn't load. I had to power down the unit and start it up again with the power button before MJ would load.

I wonder if the T5710 itself is flakey? I'm back to the T5700 and it works just fine.

-Tony
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I can think of is either a fresh install, a restore of a working backup (if you have one), or flash one of the images provided here on the board. I have one in my MJ upgrade thread that works on the 1.2GHz 5710 if you have 1gb flash, but I can't remember if you do or not.

If you do one of these and still have the problem then the 5710 hardware is likely to blame. Could be a bad USB host controller or something else. If that's the case, you could gamble on getting the extended bay and put in a PCI USB 2.0 card and see if that solves the problem.

One other thing I thought of is the apps priority. Have you tried running it as either a service or using an app to set the priority to high? Not sure if that would make a difference, but its a thought. I could probably write a simple app that would run in the background and reload MJ if it unloaded if you want.

Other than that, I am not sure.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stroths,
Thanks. I tried a fresh install of XPe and also ret27m sent me an image customized for MJ. Same results with MJ unexpectedly unloading itself.

I have another T5710 coming in a few days. I'll try that one and see if I can eliminate either my MJ dongle (which works fine on other TC's and PC's) or the first T5710.

I only have 512F/512R in the T5710's. I'm reluctant to mail-order memory upgrades as shipping to Canada from the US is exhorbitant, anywhere up to $35USD to send a $16 memory module. I'm not sure why the vendors need to courier something when US postal service works fine at 10% of the cost. It seems once crossing the border is involved, it's like sending something to the moon.

-Tony
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think about that. I've had shipping from Canada that wasn't costly, but it was sent by the cheapest method and took a while to get here. Border Patrol was probably checking it for WMD Very Happy
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony wrote:
I have another T5710 coming in a few days. I'll try that one and see if I can eliminate either my MJ dongle (which works fine on other TC's and PC's) or the first T5710. -Tony

Update. The 2nd T5710 arrived and I flashed the flash with the factory image off the HP site. I didn't remove any of the extraneous Altiris programs nor load Directx. MJ loaded fine last night and has been running fine for about 12 hours with numerous test calls. *

I think there is something wrong with the first T5710, perhaps the USB ports. I'm going to set it up to run web cams and see if it's stable. If it is, then that T5710 will be the web cam server instead.

Meanwhile the T5700 (512F/256R) is running MJ, my extended screen, the x10 SmartHome Essential software just fine. I think I'll just leave it as is.

thanks for all the troubleshooting tips.

*Of interest to people in Canada, I've been getting my TC's on ebay from biggeek-computers based in Ontario. Service is good, no hassle replacement on a T5700 shipped instead of a T5710. Shipping is reasonably priced and fast, and there are no extra taxes bringing items over the border.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the USB ports on the first T5710 I tried setting up.

The USB ports aren't reading my USB key now. I think there is definitely a problem with the USB ports. Seems to be temperature related.

Meanwhile the 2nd T5710 is running MJ just fine, it's been several days without MJ unloading itself.
gavilaso
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on my 5710 1.2g 512/512 it unload or crash itself when ever it want!!!! i can tell how long it stay on.... if you find a soltution please let me know....
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: T5710 Heatsink Temperature Overheating Reply with quote

I had a problem with one of my T5710's acting eratic like this. I found out one of the heatsinks inside was loose. Some of the heatsinks are just glued on with thermal conductive glue. I found some thermal conductive glue and re-glued it. Problems went away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: