magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use static IP with magicJack Plus ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anupjalan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: How to use static IP with magicJack Plus ? Reply with quote

I have configured my magicJack Plus to work with dynamic IP using DHCP, and this works OK.

I want to stop using DHCP and use a static IP instead.

I have done the following:
1. Attached MJ+ to my computer's USB port
2. Gone to magicjack.com and logged in using my username/pwd
3. Clicked on Call Features -> Advanced Features
4. De-selected "Use DHCP" and filled in the IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS server information.
5. Clicked on "Save" button
6. Logged out from magicJack.com
7. Disabled DHCP on my network
8. Removed MJ+ from USB and attached it to my network using ethernet.

However, MJ+ does not take the static IP I entered on the site.

When I used DHCP, I was able to ping to MJ+ and also use it without problem. Without DHCP, I am unable to either ping to MJ+ nor am I able to use it.

I get the error 3002.

How to solve this problem ?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you probably need to plug your MJ+ into your PC once again so that it can receive the update you ordered in your online session. You should see the "Lucky you" splash screen telling you that your MJ+ is downloading its update from the server.

Beside that, though, since your MJ+ works well under DHCP, what benefit to you hope to gain by limiting its address to a fixed one?
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use a MJ+ (or any other device for that matter) connected directly to your router and want that device to always have the same IP address assigned to it, you need to do that in your router - your pc has nothing to do with it. Go into your router's settings while your MJ+ is connected to it and set your router to permanently reserve a specific IP address for the MJ+'s MAC address.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
When you use a MJ+ (or any other device for that matter) connected directly to your router and want that device to always have the same IP address assigned to it, you need to do that in your router - your pc has nothing to do with it. Go into your router's settings while your MJ+ is connected to it and set your router to permanently reserve a specific IP address for the MJ+'s MAC address.

That's the way most people, including myself, do it. For those whose router's features don't support DHCP reservations or for those who don't have permission and/or the skill to make changes to the router, MJ have provided a feature in the management console (hence, the PC) to implant these settings in the MJ+ itself. My take on the OP is that this feature is the one he is trying to use.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
For those whose router's features don't support DHCP reservations or for those who don't have permission and/or the skill to make changes to the router, MJ have provided a feature in the management console (hence, the PC) to implant these settings in the MJ+ itself.

-Incorrect. Only a router can reserve LAN IP addresses for devices that are connected *directly to* that router.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for not being clear enough. My comment meant to say that if for some reason you cannot use a router's DHCP reservation service you must instead manually set the fixed IP parameters in the client device.

Naturally, the MJ+ cannot force the router to reserve an IP address for it. MJ has, however, provided a mechanism for manually configuring a fixed IP address and its ancillary parameters directly in the device. It is this feature of the MJ+ and its online management interface, that the OP is trying to use.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DHCP "on/off" feature within MJ's account management website(s) is non-functional.

P.S. I'm not aware of *any* commercial router that does not have the ability to assign attached devices fixed LAN IP addresses.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any, either. This leaves my other question unanswered -- what benefit is derived from fixing the IP address? It can't be for QoS, because anyone able to set QoS priorities can more easily set a DHCP reservation inside the same router.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
I'm not aware of any, either. This leaves my other question unanswered -- what benefit is derived from fixing the IP address? It can't be for QoS, because anyone able to set QoS priorities can more easily set a DHCP reservation inside the same router.

THEORETICALLY it should generally not be necessary to set one's router to assign a consistent, specific LAN IP address to a given device that is connected to it directly (whether that direct connection is via Wi-Fi or Ethernet is largely irrelevant). But when it comes to practical, everyday usage in consumer products and consumer ISP services, "theoretical" possibilities are often not seen to be evident - especially in VOIP applications.

Specifically regarding the MJ+ that is connected directly to a router, in layman's terms:

Proper, consistent and reliable performance requires a very consistent/constant connection between the MJ+, the router, the modem, one's ISP, and the MJ/YMAX servers. If the router is NOT set to consistently assign the exact same LAN IP address to the directly-connected (via Ethernet) MJ+, the router's assignment of a specific IP addresss to the MJ+ is only *temporary*. When that router-assigned IP address's "lease" period is up, and/or the MJ+ becomes inactive for a certain amount of time, the router must then essentially take a moment to assign the MJ+ a new IP address. To make a long story short, often that process ultimately results in the severing of the MJ+'s connection with the VOIP service's server. This can result in dead silence, a MJ-generated error message, and/or other types of VOIP service problems. The issue is most easily prevented by simply setting the router to reserve the same IP address for the MJ+ all of the time and for "lease expiration" to be set for as long as possible if not indefinitely.

FYI, QoS is a totally different thing. QoS is simply an attempt to get the router to "priorize" outgoing data packets based on either the "service type," application/program name, IP address, or MAC address of the specific connected device (or program) that generated those packets and sent them to the router for transmission out through the modem.

I *always* recommend that whenever possible MJ+ consumers set their router to assign ALL of their routinely-connected devices "fixed" IP addresses (of course, those IP addresses need to be included within the range of IP addresses that the consumer has set the router to use), that they enable QoS by MAC address, and that they set the MJ+'s QoS priority to "Highest" (or the equivalent). Simply using whatever pre-configured "VOIP" QoS setting (which is in effect a subset of QoS-by-service type or application/program name) will NOT necessarily work properly for MJ.
greenman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link on port forwarding and setting a static IP for the magicJack plus.

Additionally, you can probably find a recipe for your specific router at http://portforward.com. You don't have buy the software if you're comfortable setting your own router settings manually.
Just select your manufacturer, close the ad for the paid app, select your specific router, select 'magicJack' and follow the recipe.

Caveats:
  • They suggest setting BOTH UDP and TCP for protocol for some routers. I prefer setting only UDP. They also don't include the rtp port range.
  • Their recipe for setting static IP's is for computers only -- not for setting static IP in the router. The video in the link at the top of this post shows how to set a static IP inside a router.
ssybesma
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: instructions for getting IP cfg into MJ+ don't seem to work Reply with quote

Hello,

First off...I want to make use of the static IP configuration which you can set up through the MJ website because I have almost all my devices set up that way and I have a lot of devices on my home network.

I would like to know if anyone has successfully gotten this to work with a MagicJack Plus on a home network using private IP addresses.

I've been through many iterations of trying the update after the MJ was plugged into my laptop, unplugging it and replugging it back into my laptop after the update, also with the network cable plugged into the MJ as it was plugged into my laptop...basically everything I could think of to 'trick' the upgrade to download the IP configuration into the MJ+

I cannot see where the IP configuration from the MJ website is coming down into the MJ+ at all. So how does this get done and what is the use of putting the IP information into the website?

My DSL router still thinks it has to use DHCP with a reserved IP. All my other devices which I can set up as static on the device don't have a problem showing as Static when I reserve the IP address in the DSL router and set up the address on the device. Being the MJ+ doesn't allow you to directly set up the IP on the device, I was believing the update pulled the IP configuration down from the website into the MJ+

Anyone who has been successful and can prove the MJ is set up as Static, let me know. One way you can know if it's set up as 'Static' is if the router shows the device obtaining its IP that way. If it shows as 'DHCP', that means that the router is assigning it because the device is not set up to pull its own IP address.

Thanks,

Steve Sybesma
FlaSuncoast
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Setting Dedicated IP address Reply with quote

I'm trying to CHANGE my dedicated IP, and it's not changing from the previous static IP address. The only thing that changed, we switched from a "Vanity" number to an automatically assigned free for $10 phone number.

All this talk about DHCP MAC reservations would be great if everyone was using a private IP address behind a NAT. For anyone who has available valid (routeable through BGP) IP4 or IPV6 addresses assigned by their ISP, DHCP is an unlikely option. When we switched (almost immediately) from behind a NAT and DHCP to a public, static IP, our random unreachable and unavailable errors ceased completely!
FlaSuncoast
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: instructions for getting IP cfg into MJ+ don't seem to w Reply with quote

ssybesma wrote:

Anyone who has been successful and can prove the MJ is set up as Static, let me know. One way you can know if it's set up as 'Static' is if the router shows the device obtaining its IP that way. If it shows as 'DHCP', that means that the router is assigning it because the device is not set up to pull its own IP address.

Thanks,

Steve Sybesma

Mine has been working nearly a year with a static IP address. Assuming we can get past that setting, you can skip all that reservation jazz and just assign any address outside the DHCP block.

Steve K
FlaSuncoast
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I spent 8 hours today "chatting" with 9 reps at Magic Jack. They are reading from a script. They have nobody that knows what a static IP is. I even had one rep tell me you can only get 1 IP address from your ISP. I had reps that would connect to my PC, even after I explained the MJ was on a different network. I humoured 2 of them. Both of them closed the chat window, essentially hanging up on me.

At this point, someone has remote control of my computer. But then he closes the chat window. Unfortunately it did not connect to the same agent. So Pia here is the 9th person I talked to at Magicjack today.

Quote:

Live Assistance
Chat
Pia (Listening)
Pia: Hi, my name is Pia. How may I help you?
You: Done. Still
Pia: Hi there
Pia: May I know the exact nature of your problem with full details please?
You: SOrry. Was trying to say I've rebooted. Still not working
Pia: What do mean, please clarify.
You: I did as you asked. I power it down, waited 20 seconds, plugged in. Still not working. Are you still connected to my PC?
Pia: Yes I'm still here
Pia: May I know if the device is plugged on the wall outlet or USB port of the computer?
You: OK, because a couple of my browser windows just closed on there own. It is plugged into the ISP's Switch. Which is not a router and does not support DHCP.
You: Pia, I was in a session with another agent. He is still connected to my computer. The session is number 807384
Pia: Please wait while I check that for you
Pia: Magicjack will not work on it'
You: Why not?
Pia: I would suggest plugged the device to router or modem
You: It worked for 7 months. How do I get a refund?
Pia: It won't work like as you said it does not support DHCP.
You: Actually, it seems to require it. Thats my problem.
Pia: Okay, let me explain it to you further
You: I have it setup connected to the old ISP with the same IP address on the same hardware that worked for 7 months.
Pia: One moment please...
Pia: An unmanaged switch does not have an IP address. It is a ethernet switch and it switches ethernet packets and on the level of ethernet packets there are no IP addresses.

If you plug in a switch to the modem and the voip adapter and the router to the switch then you have two devices directly connecting to the modem and the internet. Traffic just goes through the switch.

This will work, if 1) your modem allows multiple sessions at a time and b) your ISP allows you multiple sessions and multiple IP addresses at a time. Each device will require a unique public IP address from your ISP. There is nothing you can do about that if you connect two devices directly to the modem and the internet. The switch is only the mean to connect three or more devices.

If you don't want your ISP to give you the second IP you must use a router or alternate the use of the devices.
Pia: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
You: Please google "wiki networking bridge" this will explain what kind of bridge I am talking about.
Pia: Okay
You: And that section is correct. The traffic goes right through. That's why they assign the static (they never change) IP addresses from the ISP. We host Web servers. That would never work with dynamic ip addresses assigned by DHCP. They have static IP addresses.
You: That's why we have no need for a router.
Pia: Okay
Pia: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
You: What I'm calling Static IP addresses is what that is calling public IP addresses. The only private addresses are 192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/, 169.254.157.0(APIPA) and 10.0.0.0/8
You: My web configuration is not setting. I would like to return my phone to proper functioning status or request a refund
You: Ironically, I knew your first spokesman. He was a show host on Home Shopping network. I was a Network Administrator their for 13 years. Can't remember his name. Can see his face though.
Pia: hold please
You: ok
Pia: please hold
You: Everyone else went home an hour ago. No problem.

Those last five lines were over a 30 minute period. Clearly being stonewalled.
ssybesma
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: MagicJack support is lacking Reply with quote

FlaSuncoast is 100% correct.

In my opinion, MagicJack is wasting its money paying the offshore support the $1.00 per hour they get.

If you don't know what a LAN cable is, what a USB jack is and what a router is, you probably shouldn't buy one to begin with. Stick with the phone company and pay more. There is a financial cost for being an idiot.

Beyond the obvious things everyone except a complete idiot can figure out, their support is truly worthless.

The other thing I've noticed about bargain basement support is they play a cute game of transfer, transfer, transfer with you until you finally give up. You can always tell crap support when you run into a loser who can afford to get fired because the job pays so little.
ssybesma
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: instructions for getting IP cfg into MJ+ don't seem to w Reply with quote

FlaSuncoast wrote:
ssybesma wrote:

Thanks,

Steve Sybesma

Mine has been working nearly a year with a static IP address. Assuming we can get past that setting, you can skip all that reservation jazz and just assign any address outside the DHCP block.

Steve K

When you say it's using a static IP, that is different than putting a reservation into the router to force DHCP to always assign that address.

The static IP feature on MJ's website is supposed to force the MagicJack to use the address you specify without you having to do a DHCP reservation.

I think that does not work...in my experience it does not work because like I said, my router shows whether the device determined what its address was or if DHCP did...for the MJ, it always says DHCP did. I have many devices which show 'Static' when I set the IP on the device.

When you do the 'upgrade' to try and force the IP config to go into your MagicJack and then remove the reservation from your router, you may find your MJ's address assigned to another IP if the lease ran out.
anjanavj
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: thanks to Majickjack Plus Support Reply with quote

really I was struggled in this problem.I got VoIP service from regional VoIP Service providers. I was faced the installation problem .I got exact solution in this thread thanks to all who gave the solution for Majickjack Plus Support to install it.
anjanavj
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: magicJack Plus Support FlaSuncoast Reply with quote

Great honor to FlaSuncoast! Nicely displayed Embarassed
FlaSuncoast
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We first installed one Magic Jack as a test 16 months ago. Initially most of our inbound calls were going to voicemail, only 10% of inbound calls were ringing through. (And vMail is a big Magic Jack advertisement.) Since we also have an external network, I moved the magic jack to our external network with a static IP address. To accomplish this, I had to download a MJ utility which I used on an XP Pro PC. Worked perfectly. We ran on a static IP address for over a year. We even kept the MagicJack tucked into the telephone switch it was so small. The test was because we were still on HDSL. But Docsis 3 cable was coming into our industrial park.

A little background, we host servers here including our time clock system all with external addresses. And we are currently staying with Telco POTS lines for our main service because this is Florida, and Cable Phones don't work when the power goes out.

So we switch from clec telco HDSL to Cable. Of course we get a new IP address block. That's when my trouble started. I just wanted to CHANGE the IP address. Now some reps say it's my network that's the problem, some say what was working can't possibly work.

I left this off my last post. This is a capture from the external network showing the device was still trying to reach a DHCP server that does not exist. I sent this data when 3 of the reps tried to tell me the device was set for a Static IP address.

Code:

15:26:44.121120 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:44.441100 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:44.761086 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:45.081078 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: 15:26:54.225072 IP c.gtld-servers.net.domain > europa.flausa.net.46328: 30733- 0/7/4 (637)
15:26:54.286624 IP europa.flausa.net.37485 > se-dns.sth.netnod.se.domain: 16598% [1au] A? g.ns.bredbandsbolaget.se. (53)
15:26:54.286633 IP europa.flausa.net.59454 > se-dns.sth.netnod.se.domain: 22411% [1au] A? f.ns.bredbandsbolaget.se. (53)
15:26:54.436983 IP se-dns.sth.netnod.se.domain > europa.flausa.net.37485: 16598- 0/5/4 (359)
15:26:54.437294 IP europa.flausa.net.51966 > ns2.bredband.com.domain: 5117% [1au] A? g.ns.bredbandsbolaget.se. (53)
15:26:54.443820 IP se-dns.sth.netnod.se.domain > europa.flausa.net.59454: 22411- 0/5/4 (359)
15:26:54.786046 IP europa.flausa.net.35331 > b.in-addr-servers.arpa.domain: 43712 [1au] PTR? 193.122.54.195.in-addr.arpa. (56)
15:26:55.028064 IP europa.flausa.net.52486 > dns1.telia.com.domain: 56546 [1au] PTR? 107.144.36.192.in-addr.arpa. (56)
15:26:55.167857 IP dns1.telia.com.domain > europa.flausa.net.52486: 56546- 0/3/1 (136)
15:26:55.400783 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:55.720867 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:55.869553 IP europa.flausa.net.57850 > dns49.de.telia.net.domain: 24803 [1au] PTR? 67.10.228.81.in-addr.arpa. (54)
15:26:56.040759 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:56.051586 IP tinnie.arin.net.domain > europa.flausa.net.37052: 32298- 0/4/1 (323)
15:26:56.360740 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:56.005011 IP dns49.de.telia.net.domain > europa.flausa.net.57850: 24803*- 1/2/1 PTR dns2.telia.com. (115)
15:26:56.360740 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:55.400783 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:55.720867 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:56.040759 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:33:a9:4d:08:9e (oui Unknown), length 300
15:26:56.180180 IP dns2.telia.com.domain > europa.flausa.net.51380: 23621*- 1/2/1 PTR dns49.de.telia.net. (134)
15:26:58.416591 IP 10.114.217.196.router > rip2-routers.mcast.net.router: RIPv2, Response, length: 64

Bottom line; It appears if you actually want to use your MagicJak, they will abandon you.
FlaSuncoast
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: instructions for getting IP cfg into MJ+ don't seem to w Reply with quote

ssybesma wrote:
FlaSuncoast wrote:
ssybesma wrote:

Thanks,

Steve Sybesma

Steve K

When you say it's using a static IP, that is different than putting a reservation into the router to force DHCP to always assign that address.

The static IP feature on MJ's website is supposed to force the MagicJack to use the address you specify without you having to do a DHCP reservation.

I think that does not work...in my experience it does not work because like I said, my router shows whether the device determined what its address was or if DHCP did...for the MJ, it always says DHCP did. I have many devices which show 'Static' when I set the IP on the device.

When you do the 'upgrade' to try and force the IP config to go into your MagicJack and then remove the reservation from your router, you may find your MJ's address assigned to another IP if the lease ran out.

What I'm saying is, with a static IP, there's no reason to screw around with reservations. If you're using 192.168.1.0 as your network, you tell your modem/nat device to assign ## number of clients starting at 192.168.1.# address. So if you set 50 clients at 192.168.1.10 the addresses your modem will assign are 192.168.1.10 through 192.168.1.60. Everything from 192.168.1.61 to 192.168.1.254 will be available. So rather than set your modem up with a MAC to IP address reservation, which most home versions do not support, you assign a "static" (ie: doesn't change) ip address OUTSIDE the range DHCP is using. So between 192.168.1.2 and .9, or between .61 to .254. (.1 is typically reserved as the modems gateway address.) Then the only thing left is to setup the modem's DMZ IP address to that of the MagicJak's static IP address. Or you may have to find out specifically which UDP and TCP ports Magic Jack uses and port forward them to that device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: