magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Compaq t5700 Thin Client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dialplan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: HP Compaq t5700 Thin Client Reply with quote

I am buying this:
Memory: 256 Meg
WinXPE SP2

My question is if I want to upgrade the memory what's the max. I can go for and what kind of memory it take?

What kind of disk I can add to increase storage?

Last question can I install Microsoft .Net 3.5 on this?

Thanks All
jason_tld
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is for Magic Jack usage. Goto support.hp.com and you should find what you are looking for. Traditionally all hardware is upgradeable you only need to determine the correct parameters for the upgrade.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: HP Compaq t5700 Thin Client Reply with quote

dialplan wrote:
I am buying this:
Memory: 256 Meg
WinXPE SP2

My question is if I want to upgrade the memory what's the max. I can go for and what kind of memory it take?

What kind of disk I can add to increase storage?

Last question can I install Microsoft .Net 3.5 on this?

Thanks All

I believe the answers to all of your questions are in the sticky http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/hp-thin-client-modifications-upgrades-for-magicjack-t1493.html There is a lot of other good info in there as well.
manasota
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with 512mb RAM and a Hitachi 4gb Micro Disk with a ribbon cable for storage. What that you'll be able to install a full or a slimmed down version of XP.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manasota wrote:
Go with 512mb RAM and a Hitachi 4gb Micro Disk with a ribbon cable for storage. What that you'll be able to install a full or a slimmed down version of XP.

I second your recommendation it makes for a very nice combination!

Somewhere in that sticky I pointed manasota to is a right up I did on adding a 4gig microdrive. I have those instructions posted on a website also. Adding a Microdrive
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you meant "write up" not "right up", and a very good one indeed.

As a side note, you can use the MD filter driver on any removable drives including USB to make windows think it is a fixed drive, just add the device ID to the list. The filter also works under Vista as well.

Also, if your original DOM is running fine, an easier way is to transfer it to the MD with cloning software like Acronis or Ghost. They can automatically resize the target drive partition also.

This eliminates the formatting step as well as installing the OS from the USB drive in your tutorial, but you will have to remove the original DOM and install both drives in your desktop machine. This requires an available IDE channel on your desktop and an IDE 40pin to dual 44pin cable adapter. Be sure to set the MD as Slave to clone the DOM.

This method is much less time consuming especially if you are replicating multiple drives. Also a great way to always have a backup MD on stand by just in case it fails.

Just to add, if you are running XPe there is no need to use the MicroDrive filter unless you are going to enable the Pagefile.

XPe will run just fine on a CF or MicroDrive as a removable drive, but the Pagefile cannot be created on a removable drive. You will get a Pagefile error and a small temp Pagefile will be created everytime you restart unless you apply the filter.

Disabling EWF and RAM Disk as well as enabling the Pagefile is the key to using machines with lower memory. TC's with as little as 128MB memory will perform with rock solid stability and excellent call quality. Absolutely no need to spend extra money on memory upgrades.

XP Home or Pro will always require the filter as they cannot boot from any removable drives.

BTW - $26 is a bit spendy for the MicroDrive. I have them for under $8 shipped on ebay...

Just my .02 cents...

Alpman aka acpcguy
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpman wrote:
I think you meant "write up" not "right up", and a very good one indeed.

Guess I didn't have the write stuff when I typed that. Rolling Eyes
Alpman wrote:

As a side note, you can use the MD filter driver on any removable drives including USB to make windows think it is a fixed drive, just add the device ID to the list. The filter also works under Vista as well.

That is good to know about working in Vista also I haven't made that transition yet.
Alpman wrote:

Also, if your original DOM is running fine, an easier way is to transfer it to the MD with cloning software like Acronis or Ghost. They can automatically resize the target drive partition also.

This eliminates the formatting step as well as installing the OS from the USB drive in your tutorial, but you will have to remove the original DOM and install both drives in your desktop machine. This requires an available IDE channel on your desktop and an IDE 40pin to dual 44pin cable adapter. Be sure to set the MD as Slave to clone the DOM.

This method is much less time consuming especially if you are replicating multiple drives. Also a great way to always have a backup MD on stand by just in case it fails.

Yes this would be a much better method, if your doing a lot of these, but it does require mucking with your desktop and a little extra hardware. I guess one could also use TFTP and keep an image available on the LAN as well.
Alpman wrote:

Just to add, if you are running XPe there is no need to use the MicroDrive filter unless you are going to enable the Pagefile.

XPe will run just fine on a CF or MicroDrive as a removable drive, but the Pagefile cannot be created on a removable drive. You will get a Pagefile error and a small temp Pagefile will be created every time you restart unless you apply the filter.

Disabling EWF and RAM Disk as well as enabling the Pagefile is the key to using machines with lower memory. TC's with as little as 128MB memory will perform with rock solid stability and excellent call quality. Absolutely no need to spend extra money on memory upgrades.

How do you keep the TC clean from virus' etc without EWF or anti virus software? And I am asking because there are different ways of doing lots of things maybe I can learn something.
The reason I like EWF is for the clean protection it offers. I keep the TC isolated from it's neighbors on the LAN and don't make it a part of a workgroup etc so that any infections it caught would be contained on the TC and then perform a nightly scheduled reboot of the TC to return it to pristine condition itself.

Alpman wrote:

XP Home or Pro will always require the filter as they cannot boot from any removable drives.

BTW - $26 is a bit spendy for the MicroDrive. I have them for under $8 shipped on ebay...

I did that write up last year and the prices of the MD's must have really come down. I like your price better I will look for you on EB Smile

Alpman wrote:

Just my .02 cents...

Alpman aka acpcguy
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also install the cloning software onto the TC, connect a USB CDRW, create the image to CD, install the MD, boot from CD, restore image to MD. No extra cables or mucking with your desktop either. Plus you now have a backup image to restore from anytime.

If this is strictly a MJ TC then there are not too many worries about viruses. Just make sure you have a firewall. If you are using it for occasional browsing then I do suggest using AV software or enabling EWF. I do use the reboot just to be sure MJ is running fresh every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: