magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Thin Client and Magic Jack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnODon wrote:
Actuallty, I must has posted the manual atthe same time as Thunder did. I just happened across it and figured someone could use it.

Yes...logged in with the local admin account.

Ohh...I thought I could use this to make a backup of my current image (stroths plus any mods I made...i.e. RemotelyAnywhere) that I could restore if anything bad happened.

John

You can - that is exactly what it is for. Whatever you have configured when you boot off of a thinstate T.D. will be cloned into an image file on the T.D.. The next time you boot off of it it will wright the image to whatever machine you boot from it.

If you make some changes and want to create a new image make sure you delete the old image off of the T.D. or it will over-wright your thin client with the image that is on the thin client.

Take a look in the BAT file that ThinState creates on the T.D. It says if there is an image on the T.D. burn the thin client, if there is not an image on the drive create one from the thin client.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I am satill having the same problem...I double-click the ThinState icon in teh contorl panel and nothing happens. I don't get the wizard that is shown in the manual (why I looked for the manual inthe first place). That is why I specifically asked about stroths image. I wasn't sure if he disabled the ThinState app on purpose or something.

I appreciate the help but it is no no big deal. it just would have been nice to have a backup image. I guess I can use Ghost if need be.

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: What if Reply with quote

What if you need to do a clean installation?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What if Reply with quote

MagicJohnson wrote:
What if you need to do a clean installation?

Do you have Acronis True Image 11 or 2009? Also How much Memory do you have in you thin client flash & Ram?
Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT.

Do you think an older version of Acronis 9.1 would work. I guess I could just give it a try.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder & Magic,

Standby a couple I am running a test now and will let you know what happens in less than 30 minutes if you are still around or square, whatever. Shocked
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have been fooling with Acronis and the new version has me buffaloed at the moment.

So I could post a 512/512 version from one of my thin clients. it is vanilla and to the point. I don't know what Stoths has in his but mine in very vanilla so to speak but the ThinState Ulility does work.

If anyone wants it I will post it.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using one of the images I posted, so I can't really test this myself. I'm running regular XP on mine, which I can't post for legal reasons. My image was mainly meant to help others.

I don't recall doing anything with the thinstate utility, but I did disable a lot of services. Maybe the thinstate utility relies on one of them. If anyone can verify if it does need a specific service, then the fix could be as easy as re-enabling and starting the service.

For my backup needs, I am a big support of Acronis. For the thin client, it makes a nice small image. Some backup apps clone the entire diskspace sector by sector (including freespace). This makes a much larger image than is needed. Acronis only backs up the used diskspace, so the resulting backup is much smaller and it will even compress the backup.

Since Acronis isn't freeware, I resorted to using CloneZilla (freeware) for the later images I created. You should be able to use the USB with CloneZilla I provided with my later images to backup as well. However, I can't really give instructions as I don't remember off the top of my head.

My suggestion is Acronis not only for your thin client, but for any other computer you have. It can be a lifesaver. If you watch, there are often deals on it to make it much cheaper after rebate. You can get it at newegg (link below) for around $25, free shipping (or download) and no rebates. I've also seen it free after rebates at Frys.com in the past.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200004
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512R Reply with quote

To use this image you must have a T5710 with 512 flash and 512 ram, no more no less.

Create a bootable thumb drive using the ThinState Utility located in the control panel. Then download the image file from this link:

http://dc35.4shared.com/download/67852558/a9efce76/5710_512-512_MJ_FLASH.rar

Unzip the file and place the file �FLASH.IBR� in the root of the thumb drive.

In the bios settings set your units first boot option to USB and all other boot options to disabled.

Insert the thumb drive into your unit and tell the bios to save and exit. The thin client will then go thru booting from the USB device routine install the image and then tell you to remove the thumb drive and power cycle your unit. When the unit starts its BIOS post procedure and you are give the opportunity to press the F10 key do it and then once back in the bios settings change the boot device from USB to ATA Flash (leave all other boot device disabled), then save and exit.

There is one more step and maybe somebody like Stroths has a better way of doing this but it is such a small inconvenience I have not attempted to figure out a better way. When the system finaly boots back up you will be already to use MagicJack with one exception and that is you will need to fix the EWF (commit lock). You will notice that it is amber, open and Xed out. To correct this simply put a thumb drive in a USB port (one that you don�t care if what is on it is lost) then run the HP ThinState utility and point it to the T.D. you just plugged in and tell it to do a capture. It is really not going to capture anything because you do not have anything in the bios set to boot off a USB drive � right? But what it will do is reboot your machine then convince windows this is a first boot and reset all the flags and EWF parameters to the correct state and then finally boot back into Windows and �Eureka� the little lock will be locked and green.

I don�t know what Stroths� has removed from his image but he does get a little aggressive. Laughing This image is just aggressive enough to get rid of memory hogs and add some memory hogs like DirectX and God help us JAVA. JAVA is huge but in the past most of the MagicJack WEB Site diagnostics required it, which is no longer true because they removed all of them i.e. MagicFIX. But I have left Java in to be more compatible with some WEB sites.

Anyway I was tired of Stroths getting all the accolades for his rather tremendously well written �how to� documents and doing all the work for the rest of us by posting his image files.

PS � Please remember that this image file is an HP ThinState image for an HP T5710 with 512 Megs of flash and 512 Megs of ram only. Also in this image the Bios and OS are the newest versions on the HP site. ThinState is still functional, and the Ethernet drivers have been updated with the newest XPe drivers from the manufacturers WEB site, dated 9/21/2007 Version 3.72.0.457. And frosting on the cake, TeamViewer HOST is preinstalled. A tip on using Teamviewer is if you check the IP address of your thin client in your router I have set it to accept local LAN access so just enter the IP address of your thin client and use the password �314159� (or Pi if you haven�t already recognized it as such). Once connected you will be able to acquire the ID and login that way.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512R Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
...There is one more step and maybe somebody like Stroths has a better way of doing this but it is such a small inconvenience I have not attempted to figure out a better way. When the system finaly boots back up you will be already to use MagicJack with one exception and that is you will need to fix the EWF (commit lock).

Thank you for the kudos. I am glad you created an image so there will be some other options than just mine.

Regarding EWF, I had setup a command in the Windows runonce registry section to basically execute a custom EXE I created that enables EWF and then reboots the system. The custom EXE basically ran the command below and then had a reboot command build in.

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe ewfdll.dll,ConfigureEwf Start

I have provided a link to my custom EWF exe's for status, commit, disable, reinitialize, etc for anyone interested. They'll work fine on any XPE build. HolmanGT, feel free to include them in any images you release if you find them useful.

http://rapidshare.com/files/156324244/stroths_EWF.zip.html
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths,

Kudos where kudos due !!!

I specially like your wallpaper Very Happy

How did you do the .EXE's? Do you have some kind of script compiler? That is kind of impressive.

I downloaded all your work - damn near broke out in a sweat working that hard. Laughing

Thanks much.

George
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512R Reply with quote

The label on the case of my thin client says T5720 512/256 Xpe, so I guess your image would not work on my thin client.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512 Reply with quote

MagicJohnson wrote:
The label on the case of my thin client says T5720 512/256 Xpe, so I guess your image would not work on my thin client.

No, my image is only for a T5710 512/512.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out some T5710 thin clients have a TM8600 processor, and some have a TM8800 processor. (both 1.2 GHz) but the TM8800 can also go to 1.5GHz with a setting in BIOS (although not available for altering by us)

I found out the hard way when I got my TC back from HP recently and the 1GB RAM module isn't working. (gives vertical stripes & flashing dots without showing text or graphics) the original 256MB RAM is fine.
the 1GB RAM module was replaced by Transcend and still gives this fault

I noticed my TM8800 processor isn't on the replacement board HP sent back to me, and has the TM8600 instead.
(shown in ... BIOS / system information)

This could be why some peoples T5710 worked with the 1GB RAM and some don't.

HP really sucks eggs thru a straw. Mad
Not sending a replacement board with the same chip sets as the one I sent in for repair. Exclamation

Last edited by momo on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
stroths,

Kudos where kudos due !!!

I specially like your wallpaper Very Happy

How did you do the .EXE's? Do you have some kind of script compiler? That is kind of impressive.

I downloaded all your work - damn near broke out in a sweat working that hard. Laughing

Thanks much.

George

I used a freeware program called AutoHotKey. It has a built in compiler that will let you compile any AutoHotKey script into an EXE (with an icon). The dll I included is what keeps each of these exe's from showing a dos window like if you ran the commit, enable, disable, etc from a shortcut. It basically does it in the background, intercepts the data and puts it in a nice Windows popup box for you.

It's basically doing the same thing that running the dos command does, but in a cleaner looking way.
muhsdm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512R Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
There is one more step and maybe somebody like Stroths has a better way of doing this but it is such a small inconvenience I have not attempted to figure out a better way. When the system finaly boots back up you will be already to use MagicJack with one exception and that is you will need to fix the EWF (commit lock). You will notice that it is amber, open and Xed out. To correct this simply put a thumb drive in a USB port (one that you don�t care if what is on it is lost) then run the HP ThinState utility and point it to the T.D. you just plugged in and tell it to do a capture. It is really not going to capture anything because you do not have anything in the bios set to boot off a USB drive � right? But what it will do is reboot your machine then convince windows this is a first boot and reset all the flags and EWF parameters to the correct state and then finally boot back into Windows and �Eureka� the little lock will be locked and green.

Thanks for this image and instructions. I didn't have to do anything extra after flashing my TC. When it was finished the lock was already closed and green. I plugged my MJ in and it worked fine. One thing that I noticed after a couple of reboots is that the MJ software on the TC was displaying what I believe is YOUR phone number AND address. Wink I pulled up your house on Google maps. I unplugged my MJ and rebooted, then plugged it in again and it went back to my phone number and 911 address. Strange!

I'd tried Stroths' image, but it kept failing ~80% into the flash.

Thanks again, David
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muhsdm,

Your are welcome. The main difference between the image I posted and Stroths is his is "totally optimized" whereas mine has only had the junk removed and just enough optimization to make MJ perform as well as MJ can which is not always that great but for $20 bucks a year I have made that back many times over.

It has done something else for me that I don't think I have heard anyone else mention, the damn thing has actually brought my family a little closer. I live in Utah (as you already know Mr. muhsdm Laughing ), my sister lives in Arizona, my daughter lives in California, and the rest of my family lives in Alabama. Well pre MagicJack era we spoke to one another fairly often, now we spend so much time on the phone to one another that we at times actually run out of things to talk about.

Anyway before I start crying about the benefits of MagicJack - enjoy - and I hope for you and anyone else brave enough to try a Thin Client that between Stroths and myself we can make the Thin Client conversion process just a little easier. At least lower some of the required "Aspirin Consumption" during the conversion. Rolling Eyes

PS - is Stroth's image for a 512/512 memory unit or something else. The images that HP ThinState generates are only for units with the same amount of Flash and Ram. I know his was made with a third party program but if it came from a 1GB/1GB unit that may explain crapping out at the 80% mark.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
muhsdm,

Your are welcome. The main difference between the image I posted and Stroths is his is "totally optimized" whereas mine has only had the junk removed and just enough optimization to make MJ perform as well as MJ can which is not always that great but for $20 bucks a year I have made that back many times over.

It has done something else for me that I don't think I have heard anyone else mention, the damn thing has actually brought my family a little closer. I live in Utah (as you already know Mr. muhsdm Laughing ), my sister lives in Arizona, my daughter lives in California, and the rest of my family lives in Alabama. Well pre MagicJack era we spoke to one another fairly often, now we spend so much time on the phone to one another that we at times actually run out of things to talk about.

Anyway before I start crying about the benefits of MagicJack - enjoy - and I hope for you and anyone else brave enough to try a Thin Client that between Stroths and myself we can make the Thin Client conversion process just a little easier. At least lower some of the required "Aspirin Consumption" during the conversion. Rolling Eyes

PS - is Stroth's image for a 512/512 memory unit or something else. The images that HP ThinState generates are only for units with the same amount of Flash and Ram. I know his was made with a third party program but if it came from a 1GB/1GB unit that may explain crapping out at the 80% mark.

1GB flash memory is required on my images. If I would have made them with Acronis, they would have been more flexible. I went the method I did just to stay in the freeware compliance zone.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths,

I have tried Acronis a couple of times, without success. The images it created would not boot.

I am going to try it again, but version 11 and 2009 have a sector by sector copy that I have not tried yet but will and let you know how it goes.

In all truth however the HP ThinState utility does a pretty good job. And unlike myself "muhsdm" and others have told me that they have not had any problems with the EWF coming back in working condition albeit the fix being extremely easy and quick. It must be the product of them doing something I consider wrong. Laughing Guess I will have to figure out what it is that I am doing right and stop it. Rolling Eyes
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
- and I hope for you and anyone else brave enough to try a Thin Client that between Stroths and myself we can make the Thin Client conversion process just a little easier.

AMEN!!! Smile

Thanks for all the effort guys!

John
lymon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:

...I have tried Acronis a couple of times, without success. The images it created would not boot. ...

Do you mean that Acronis didn't work with a thin client or Acronis flat out didn't work for a regular XP or Vista machine. I am now worried that I am sitting on several worthless backup images. Thanks!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:

...I have tried Acronis a couple of times, without success. The images it created would not boot. ...

Do you mean that Acronis didn't work with a thin client or Acronis flat out didn't work for a regular XP or Vista machine. I am now worried that I am sitting on several worthless backup images. Thanks!

lymon,

No don't worry - Acronis works fine with XP and Vista and I have been using it since if first came out and it has saved my bacon more times than I care to admit.

The problem that I had was when I recreated a ThinState USB drive image, the thin client didn't want to boot from it. I have made another last night and will test it as soon as I can and let you know how it goes. There is something a little unusual about the ThinState images. If I plug one that works just fine into my Vista machine just to look at what is on it, Vista says something is wrong with it and wants to scan and fix it. If I say no Vista will open it up and everything look OK. Just something a little different about them and so far I have never investigated it because of the adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
muhsdm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
1GB flash memory is required on my images. If I would have made them with Acronis, they would have been more flexible. I went the method I did just to stay in the freeware compliance zone.

My bad, I totally missed the 1GB flash requirement.Crying or Very sad I have 512/512. Sorry, Stroths!Embarassed
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muhsdm wrote:
stroths wrote:

My bad, I totally missed the 1GB flash requirement.Crying or Very sad I have 512/512. Sorry, Stroths!Embarassed

No problem. I'm glad Holman caught onto that.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
muhsdm wrote:
stroths wrote:

No problem. I'm glad Holman caught onto that.

Now we have TWO bases covered 1GB/1GB and 512MB/512MB. Cool
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: 512/256 Reply with quote

I need a 512/256 image. Sad
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 512/256 Reply with quote

MagicJohnson wrote:

Well other than suggestions I can't help. I just boxed up my last unit. But if you could spring for a 512 ram it should really help keep everything in ram and save wear and tear on your flash.

I sell you one 512 for $10 dollars plus $3 for shipping or a 1GB for $15 plus $3 for shipping. Did I really just say that, I must be off my rocker. Rolling Eyes

The are new and factory sealed.

What type of unit T5700 or T5710?

PS - Is it Xmas, must be. Laughing
Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering what is the best setting for the RamDrive Z and is it possible to make it larger then 64 or is that a bad idea.
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 512/256 Reply with quote

Mine is a T5720

HolmanGT wrote:
MagicJohnson wrote:

Well other than suggestions I can't help. I just boxed up my last unit. But if you could spring for a 512 ram it should really help keep everything in ram and save wear and tear on your flash.

I sell you one 512 for $10 dollars plus $3 for shipping or a 1GB for $15 plus $3 for shipping. Did I really just say that, I must be off my rocker. Rolling Eyes

The are new and factory sealed.

What type of unit T5700 or T5710?

PS - Is it Xmas, must be. Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJohnson,

T5720 uses the same ram as the T5710 so your in if you want to be in?

Thunder,

I really don't think there is a "best" size. It depends on what you are doing.

If you want the browser to run flash adds like "this is Magic and this is Jack, I named them after my Daddy..." then do what I do. I set the Z drive to 64 megs and then set the temporary space in the browser to 32 megs. That seems to be a sweet spot for the browser. Videos and music come thru clean, less than that and both Video and Sound get choppy for me.

All the Z drive is really for is to keep the scratch folders "Tmp" and "Temp" of of your flash ram and additionally make the temp directors self cleaning every time you reboot.
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.. I just need to get this thing working right is all.

HolmanGT wrote:
MagicJohnson,

T5720 uses the same ram as the T5710 so your in if you want to be in?

Thunder,

I really don't think there is a "best" size. It depends on what you are doing.

If you want the browser to run flash adds like "this is Magic and this is Jack, I named them after my Daddy..." then do what I do. I set the Z drive to 64 megs and then set the temporary space in the browser to 32 megs. That seems to be a sweet spot for the browser. Videos and music come thru clean, less than that and both Video and Sound get choppy for me.

All the Z drive is really for is to keep the scratch folders "Tmp" and "Temp" of of your flash ram and additionally make the temp directors self cleaning every time you reboot.
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Magic jack just wont run anymore. In the magicjack directory there are two corrupt folders that I can't delete. Somehow I think this is causing the magicjack to not properly load up or install.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJohnson wrote:
My Magic jack just wont run anymore. In the magicjack directory there are two corrupt folders that I can't delete. Somehow I think this is causing the magicjack to not properly load up or install.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp

If you are talking about folders in the folder called "mjusbsp" then the fix is simple. Remove your MagicJack then delete the folder mjusbsp and everything in it.

Reboot and plug your MagicJack back in. It will rebuild everything. As a matter of fact it should rebuild the entire mjusbsp folder every time you reboot or plug your MJ in. But if you follow my suggestion it is a sure thing that it will get rebuilt.

Let us know what happens.

Do you have TeamViewer installed on the thin client?
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant delete the folder because there are corrupt files/folders in it.

HolmanGT wrote:
MagicJohnson wrote:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp

If you are talking about folders in the folder called "mjusbsp" then the fix is simple. Remove your MagicJack then delete the folder mjusbsp and everything in it.

Reboot and plug your MagicJack back in. It will rebuild everything. As a matter of fact it should rebuild the entire mjusbsp folder every time you reboot or plug your MJ in. But if you follow my suggestion it is a sure thing that it will get rebuilt.

Let us know what happens.

Do you have TeamViewer installed on the thin client?
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the folder on the MJ itself or the profile folders (i.e. c:\documents and settings\{username}\application data\...? If the latter, try rebooting into Safe Mode with the MJ disconnected and see if you can delete them then.

If the former...I have no idea what to do.

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter. I haven't tried safe mode yet.

JohnODon wrote:
Are you saying the folder on the MJ itself or the profile folders (i.e. c:\documents and settings\{username}\application data\...? If the latter, try rebooting into Safe Mode with the MJ disconnected and see if you can delete them then.

John
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you should be able to delete that folder logged in with your current acocunt as long as the process associated with MJ are not running. Kill all MJ processes in task manager and then see if you can delete the folder.

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't delete the files in safe mode or safe mode with command prompt. The folders are just corrupt. (mjusbsp\ar00000\ and mjusbsp\in00000\)

JohnODon wrote:

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped all tasks that windows would let me stop. Still couldnt delete those folders. When I try to delete, an error message pops up that says the folder is corrupt and unreadable. Sad

JohnODon wrote:
Actually, you should be able to delete that folder logged in with your current acocunt as long as the process associated with MJ are not running. Kill all MJ processes in task manager and then see if you can delete the folder.

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured if somebody knows how, please tell me how to reinstall the OS and that should take care of the corrupt files.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an article that says to try this:

"Use Unlocker:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
It's an explorer extension.
It calls itself automatically whenever the deleting process failed.
It frees all the calls to the file, so you can delete it, but it does not work always (atleast for me)
You can also choose if you want to delete the file after a reboot.
But other than that its a pretty handy program "
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, here is a M$ article about deleting corrupted files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246026

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article states a very good idea. Back up the files and then restore everything except the corrupt files. Now how do I make an image of the os and then restore it. I use Norton Ghost on a regular PC, but what imaging program works with a thin client?

JohnODon wrote:

John
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1809593&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=1809592&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058

MagicJohnson wrote:
This article states a very good idea. Back up the files and then restore everything except the corrupt files. Now how do I make an image of the os and then restore it. I use Norton Ghost on a regular PC, but what imaging program works with a thin client?

JohnODon wrote:

John
solarpower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512 Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
MagicJohnson wrote:

HolmanGT, is there anyway to make it work for 512/256? I bouth PC2700 512 which is incompatible with 5710. Appreciate your image. I guess it will help us who want to make it work out of the box without upgrade. The only other reason i am interested is, finding drivers for embedded XP is really hell!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512 Reply with quote

solarpower wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
MagicJohnson wrote:

HolmanGT, is there anyway to make it work for 512/256? I bouth PC2700 512 which is incompatible with 5710. Appreciate your image. I guess it will help us who want to make it work out of the box without upgrade. The only other reason i am interested is, finding drivers for embedded XP is really hell!

Well, I must have been tired when I made the statement above. Actually none of what I said is true except for the fact that it is for a T5710 and will not fly on a T5720.

You can use my image on a system with 512 or more flash, however I know from trial and error that if you apply my image to a 1GB flash the system will only see 512 megs of the 1GB flash but still works.

As for the ram my hunch is it doesn't care about that piece. So my candid opinion is it will work just fine on a system that has 512 flash and 256 ram.

But if you have your system all set up just create an image of what you have so you can always return to where you were before starting this great adventure. In any case you will not damage anything that can't be undone.

Also check your PMs for the link.
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Here is another image flavor for T5710 with 512F/512 Reply with quote

Im still learning about this thin client of mine and found the HP thinclient imaging utility. however the problem is that there are corrupt files in my magicjack directory which I believe might be the cause of my magicjack not wanting to start up. I can't delete the files. Therefore I am trying to figure out how to reload a clean OS image.

HolmanGT wrote:
solarpower wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
MagicJohnson wrote:

Well, I must have been tired when I made the statement above. Actually none of what I said is true except for the fact that it is for a T5710 and will not fly on a T5720.

You can use my image on a system with 512 or more flash, however I know from trial and error that if you apply my image to a 1GB flash the system will only see 512 megs of the 1GB flash but still works.

As for the ram my hunch is it doesn't care about that piece. So my candid opinion is it will work just fine on a system that has 512 flash and 256 ram.

But if you have your system all set up just create an image of what you have so you can always return to where you were before starting this great adventure. In any case you will not damage anything that can't be undone.

Also check your PMs for the link.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJohnson,

You can delete everything in the "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp" directory and it will be rebuilt by plugging in you MJ.

When you delete the mjusbsp directory just make sure your MJ is unplugged.

When they are re-installed if they are still corrupt then they are damaged on you MJ and we can fix that also in a similar manner.

Go ahead and delete the entire directory - and we can go from their.

Oh - I just re-read your post - don't blow away you OS just yet. What OS are you using? This can be a quirk of Vista - I lived with it for a long time prior to switching to a Thin Client.
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot delete the directory because the folders are corrupt
MagicJohnson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Windows XPe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: