magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced the standard T5700 DOM with a 2 GB Transcend DOM ?
I bought the 2 GB Transcend for my T5700 and after 3 attempts
to load XPE using the USB thumb drive i wasn't able to.After a long time of trying to load it gets stuck and the error message is NON System disk
or disk drive.Replace to continue.I checked the BIOS and it says 1002 MB as the capacity of the DOM while the one i have bought is 2GB. A sticker on the module says 2G so it should be 2G.
My question is has anyone used 2GB DOM on the HP T5700 motherboard ? From stroths posts it seems they should work...
I've upgraded the RAM to 512 and thats working ok.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazlett wrote:
For those who might be hesitant to order from dealextreme.com I have ordered quite a few items from them, bluetooth headsets, "toys" and other electronic gadgets and am well pleased with not only the pricing and postage paid, but also with the speed the items arrive to my home.

Just now I ordered the CF adapter for $2.82 and expect it next week.

If you pay with paypal just make sure your order info gets loaded back to the dealextreme website. Mine did not and after I waited a long time I went back checking the status and found a notice that they were having troubles with that. I emailed them and waited and then emailed them later and got no response from them. I was just about to give up when I went back to the order info area they had a new web page to report problems with paypal orders. Fortunately I had kept the paypal email receipt because they required I send it to them to finally get my order in the works.

After some time my order did finally arrive. So in the end I did get it; but I order lots of stuff and use paypal for payment and this mess with them is the only time I have had problems so I believe the problem is theirs and not paypal's.

They are so cheap I may take another chance with them again but I hope it goes smoother than the last time.

VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booyah5 wrote:
Does that Compact Flash adapter (listed here in the 1st post: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10310 ) support Type II MicroDrives?

I'm thinking about getting that and a 4gb MicroDrive.

Yes it works with a type II. I am using it with one of these Hitachi 4GB microdrives $19.00 + shipping.

Also works great with a RiData 233X 4GB CF $17.99 + shipping.

You will also need a 6 " female/female IDE cable $8.00 + $2.00 shipping.
booyah5
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VaHam!
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Anyone out there with a 2GB DOM on a T5700 ? or 1 GB ?
I need to know so that i can return the 2GB one and get a 1 GB if
2 GB is not supported.

Thanks
lymon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
2 GB is not supported.

Thanks

I have a T5700 with a 1GB DOM and it works fine.

I don't know if 2GB is supported but obviously at least one other board member is having issues with his 2GB DOM.

The curious thing is that early on in this thread stroths mentions and shows a picture of a 2 GB CF card and adapter being used for flash memory in one of his T5700s. Why a 2 GB CF with 44 pin adapter would work and your DOM won't is a good question.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lymon,
Thanks.
I attached the 2GB transcend DOM and the BIOS shows only 1GB (1002MB).
As you and a few others have been going great with the 1GB DOM and i might as well go
with that.I will return my 2GB and get the 1GB.Hopefully that will work.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me check my T5700 when I get to work tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I put in the 2GB, and I had no problems. I couldn't get stroths images to work, but just installed the full image from HP...

But, let me check in the morning!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy,

While you are at it can you confirm if you have this one (without SMI controller )
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS2GDOM44H

or this - (with SMI Controller)
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS2GDOM44H-S

I have the new (TS2GDOM44H-S) ?
Transcend is phasing out the old one this september so maybe its time i got it before it
goes off if that would work.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Well, I'm sorry I inspired potentially false hope. Turns out I did cheap out and only get the 1 GB. I have the TS1GDOM44H-S

Sorry... I think my head is already going fuzzy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking.
I have returned the 2GB DOM and ordered the 1GB.Hopefully that would work.
marlonsito
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Problem with Thin Client Reply with quote

I was able to get a new memory. I got a 512MB PNY Optima PC2700 DDR 200pins. On this forum they said is 100% compatible with the T5700. I got the 1 MB DOM flash memory. When I start the thin client it start and shows the HP logo at the beginning but stays there forever. It does nothing. I hit all the buttons on the keyboard and nothing happens. It just freeze with the HP logo. I change the memory back to the old 256MB and the TC boots normally. I checked on the PNY web site and it says that this is the memory that I need for the T5700. Do I need to upgrade the BIOS? Please help. Sad
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of upgrading my video card on my thin client,
T5700 - 512 MB RAM/1GB DOM.
Any suggestions on how much Video memory it can take .
Any pointers to compatible makes of video cards will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
I was thinking of upgrading my video card on my thin client,
T5700 - 512 MB RAM/1GB DOM.
Any suggestions on how much Video memory it can take .
Any pointers to compatible makes of video cards will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

HP states there is one video card that is compatible with the T5700, which I mentioned in my response message to you. There may be others but the spec sheet didn't mention any. The video card will have 64MB memory. Also, if you choose to upgrade, you would need to buy an Expansion Module kit which will come with a 50W power supply in order to operate a PCI video card. The kit will probably cost around $40.
PTravel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally enough, I've just this minute finished setting up a t5720 as a video server for my home theater. I don't know how much of this applies to the t5700, so take with a grain of salt.

1. You can't use just any PCI video card. The drivers may install, but the thin client will give an error message along the lines of, "The video driver is for an older version of the operating system and will not run on this system." And it won't. It will default to the SiS graphics card and driver regardless of setting. Anyone want to buy a perfectly good, used only once, PCI graphics card?

2. The HP-recommended card will not support HD through the DVI port - it only goes up to about 1600 x 1200. DVI is 1920 x 1080. HP says the Matrox TC2 will not work in the t5720. Matrox says it will. They're both right and they're both wrong. You'll get the same error message, but it WILL work. Ignore the error message. The TC2 is a dual-head card and can actually support two DVI displays or two analog displays or a DVI and analog display at the same time. The Matrox is a very expensive graphics card - the best I could find from the reputable on-line stores was around $250. I finally wound up with an OEM version that I got on eBay for $175. However, it works like a champ.

3. Okay, that takes care of video. Now to deal with audio. USB-to-SPDIF adapters that use the Microsoft standard usbaudio.sys driver will not work properly, i.e. they will NOT pass 5.1/7.1 audio. You need to get one that has a dedicated driver. I got a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM for around $80. Install, but ignore, the software the comes with it, except to set the output to SPDIF (the Audio Advantage will pass surround sound from the computer's software in digital, but all the equalizers and other software provided with it won't work when set to SPDIF).

4. Now the t5720 can handle HD video and digital surround sound audio. You need software to play it. This part is easy: just download the free, open source VLC Media player. Set the aspect ratio to 16:9, crop to 22:10 (otherwise you'll get an annoying white line at the very top of the screen), and the audio to "Use SPDIF if available." Note that VLC is the ONLY media player I've found that supports SPDIF out and works on the t5720.

5. I should have mentioned earlier, but I use an external USB drive both to store movies AND for program installation and for the TEMP and TMP variables target.

And a final point. I did a quick test of HD material (some video in HDV format) and the t5720 choked. I expect I can get it to work eventually by fiddling with the t5720's hardware settings, but remember that HDV (and BluRay) have a bandwidth of 25 mpbs, more than double that of standard DVDs. Also, the built-in graphics of the t5720 supports 1920 x 1080 and HIGHER resolutions -- unless you're trying to setup a home theater and are really picky about video quality, the whole exercise of getting a DVI graphics card working may be unnecessary.
booyah5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my CF micro-drive, ribbon cable, and adapter yesterday, and I've put a full copy of XP on it (I would have gone with a micro, but those seem to be riddled with spyware when I scanned one at least). The only problem is that I get the following error:

I think this is because windows thinks it's a removable drive. I was going to use the ATCFWCHG.COM utility, but I can't think of a good way to get into DOS. I used an old boot-disk that I had on CD, but the boot-disk doesn't recognize my usb CDROM. It will boot to dos, but it won't load the drivers to access files on the CD. I put a USB thumb drive with ATCFWCHG.COM and rebooted, but the hp5700 chokes at boot-up like it's trying to boot from the thumb drive. (I wonder why it doesn't choke on the MJ?)

I can't seem to find the USB floppy drive I bought just for such an occasion. Rolling Eyes

To make matters worse, it's highly doubtful that ATCFWCHG.COM will do squat because my drive is a Hitachi. I tried the xpfildrvr1224_320 "fix", but windows doesn't think that's an acceptable driver when I do a redo with it.

The stupid thing is, all I have to do is click the stupid dialog and windows uses page memory anyways, but it won't log in without clicking that dumb button. Plus, I can't run srvany because you can't run that from a removable drive.

Any thoughts?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booyah5 wrote:
I got my CF micro-drive, ribbon cable, and adapter yesterday, and I've put a full copy of XP on it (I would have gone with a micro, but those seem to be riddled with spyware when I scanned one at least). The only problem is that I get the following error:

I think this is because windows thinks it's a removable drive. I was going to use the ATCFWCHG.COM utility, but I can't think of a good way to get into DOS. I used an old boot-disk that I had on CD, but the boot-disk doesn't recognize my usb CDROM. It will boot to dos, but it won't load the drivers to access files on the CD. I put a USB thumb drive with ATCFWCHG.COM and rebooted, but the hp5700 chokes at boot-up like it's trying to boot from the thumb drive. (I wonder why it doesn't choke on the MJ?)

I can't seem to find the USB floppy drive I bought just for such an occasion. Rolling Eyes

To make matters worse, it's highly doubtful that ATCFWCHG.COM will do squat because my drive is a Hitachi. I tried the xpfildrvr1224_320 "fix", but windows doesn't think that's an acceptable driver when I do a redo with it.

The stupid thing is, all I have to do is click the stupid dialog and windows uses page memory anyways, but it won't log in without clicking that dumb button. Plus, I can't run srvany because you can't run that from a removable drive.

Any thoughts?

I used the xpfildrvr1224_320 and it worked like a champ for me but I am using XPe.
booyah5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used the HP image? And how did you go about using that driver. Did you 1st uninstall the previous driver, or did you choose to reinstall driver and then browse?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booyah5 wrote:
You used the HP image? And how did you go about using that driver. Did you 1st uninstall the previous driver, or did you choose to reinstall driver and then browse?

The steps I used are shown in the 12th post on page 5 of this thread.
joevv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add a wireless pci card to my t5720. I already have the expansion module for the TC.
Now when I install the card its not detected by xpe. I manually install the drivers but that will not work either.

Question: will the tc only work with certain hardware or is it possible to use any off the shelf hw?

Thanks for your help
Joe
booyah5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

I guess it's not going to work. This is what I get:

Though in your instructions, you say "Next select the Hardware tab you should then see your microdrive listed in the "all drives" box." I'm assuming this is the equivalent to "Disk Drives" that I have.

I guess I'll try XPe and see how it goes.

FYI, anyone know of a good free Ghost-like program to image drives/partitions across a network on a samba share? I've tried Clonezilla, but it fails every-time on ntfs.
booyah5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, problems after problems...

I did a redo of XPe on my 5700 and now I get an error on login ""A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer.
Error Code: 0x80070002."

I did a search for this on this board, and the search came back to the "HP Thin Client and Magic Jack" thread, but the dumb search doesn't pin down the actual post and that thread is 32 pages long!

Does anyone have an idea about this error and how to fix it? I thought these images were good to go.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booyah5 wrote:
VaHam wrote:

I guess it's not going to work. This is what I get:

Though in your instructions, you say "Next select the Hardware tab you should then see your microdrive listed in the "all drives" box." I'm assuming this is the equivalent to "Disk Drives" that I have.

I guess I'll try XPe and see how it goes.

FYI, anyone know of a good free Ghost-like program to image drives/partitions across a network on a samba share? I've tried Clonezilla, but it fails every-time on ntfs.

I don't think it should have made a difference but it looks like you got to drive properties thru Device Manager from the graphic above. My instructions were based on right clicking on the drive in My Computer and selecting Properties from there. If you do that then you see the hardware tab.

Your telling it to upgrade the driver correct? And then instead of letting XP try and find the driver for you; you say no and point to it your self.

I hate to say this but clonezilla works fine for me across the network. I saved to a shared folder om my desktop rather than my Samba server which should be the same difference to clonezilla (you use the same options for both). It imaged just fine for me on the ntfs partition. I did not choose compression of any type maybe that made a difference.
booyah5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah I jumped ahead and used the device manager. I selected it to reinstall the driver. If I ever put a full XP install back on (which might be tonight) I'll see if there is a difference.

Before i tried the failed XPe install just now, I used Clonezilla again from the 5700 to a samba share that had 20gb free space, and I then cloned that back onto the 5700 and it failed on reboot. I've been doing disk to disk imaging, and when I looked up the problem on Clonezilla, it seems to be a known problem. I hope the author fixes that as it would be such a great tool to have.

If I don't get this licensing thing resolved tonight, I'll probably put XP Pro back on it, and try the driver again. I probably should have gone with the DOM, but I had to be creative...
PTravel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:
I would like to add a wireless pci card to my t5720. I already have the expansion module for the TC.
Now when I install the card its not detected by xpe. I manually install the drivers but that will not work either.

Question: will the tc only work with certain hardware or is it possible to use any off the shelf hw?

Thanks for your help
Joe
Out of curiosity, why not just use a USB wifi NIC? They're cheaper than cards and don't require the expansion module. In answer to your question, I can't think of why your card wouldn't be detected. Try this:

Look in Device Manager. Is the wifi card listed under Network Interfaces? If it is, and doesn't have a yellow exclamation point, it's installed and working. If it isn't, click on "Actions" and choose, "Detect new hardware." That should do it.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booyah5 wrote:
Ah yeah I jumped ahead and used the device manager. I selected it to reinstall the driver. If I ever put a full XP install back on (which might be tonight) I'll see if there is a difference.

Before i tried the failed XPe install just now, I used Clonezilla again from the 5700 to a samba share that had 20gb free space, and I then cloned that back onto the 5700 and it failed on reboot. I've been doing disk to disk imaging, and when I looked up the problem on Clonezilla, it seems to be a known problem. I hope the author fixes that as it would be such a great tool to have.

If I don't get this licensing thing resolved tonight, I'll probably put XP Pro back on it, and try the driver again. I probably should have gone with the DOM, but I had to be creative...

I think the problem is your letting XP try and locate a better driver from the message you got. You need to choose upgrade and then manually point to the Hitachi Driver.
booyah5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set it to choose the driver myself - not XP choosing for me.

I guess the licensing thing is not a known problem. I might try flashing XPe again, and see if it bitches about the licensing again. Then if no joy, abandon the stock HP image and try XP Pro again.
booyah5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out about the driver. What I did was choose to point windows to the right folder. But I didn't manually select the type of device which then led me to the file and presto - it now works. Thanks.

But the license issue won't seem to resolve. I found the reference here on this forum, and they "fixed" the issue by buying another TC. Again I'll be going back to XP Pro and seeing how that driver works with the virtual memory. I did find a tiny version that doesn't seem to have spyware in it, so we'll see.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booyah5 wrote:
I figured out about the driver. What I did was choose to point windows to the right folder. But I didn't manually select the type of device which then led me to the file and presto - it now works. Thanks.

But the license issue won't seem to resolve. I found the reference here on this forum, and they "fixed" the issue by buying another TC. Again I'll be going back to XP Pro and seeing how that driver works with the virtual memory. I did find a tiny version that doesn't seem to have spyware in it, so we'll see.

Now I am confused how could you update the microdrive driver on the TC if the license issue is a problem? You could never get to the "update driver" choices if that were so?

Now if the license issue is cropping up after you try to repartition or resize the microdrive, I can understand that and. I had the same problem. (see my comments about that in the earlier post of mine on page 5 of this thread.) That is why I left the original boot partition as is and created a second (actually third since EWF creates a small type 45 partition) which then became my D: drive. There is a lot of info on this resizing vs license issue on the net but I did not try to solve it I just created a second partition and left the original one alone. After I thought about it I decided it would be nice to run EWF on the C: partition anyway to protect it from virus etc.

Once that license issue cropped up if I recall correctly I had to reformat the microdrive and re-flash it in order to clear the issue.
booyah5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Now I am confused how could you update the microdrive driver on the TC if the license issue is a problem? You could never get to the "update driver" choices if that were so?

I was able to bypass the license issue by booting into safe mode - no networking (if you choose with networking - you get caught in the same repeating loop). I tried various fixes described online - including registry hacks to registering dll's but no joy. I've flashed it twice with the same persistent problem.

The only difference I can tell in how I'm flashing it, is I'm using a USB DVD-RAM drive and burned an iso instead of the DOK method. I tried the DOK method, but my thumb drive didn't work.
joevv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
Joe
Out of curiosity, why not just use a USB wifi NIC? They're cheaper than cards and don't require the expansion module. In answer to your question, I can't think of why your card wouldn't be detected. Try this:

Look in Device Manager. Is the wifi card listed under Network Interfaces? If it is, and doesn't have a yellow exclamation point, it's installed and working. If it isn't, click on "Actions" and choose, "Detect new hardware." That should do it.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. The problem was the setting in "Environment Variables" I had TEMP and TMP set to a usb drive that I used to install directX and never set it back to dfault z drive. Once I did that plug n play worked and detected the new hardware.

Thanks,
Joe
booyah5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that only certain video cards will work with the TCs. Maybe the same is true for WiFi?
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
Going by this Transcend DOM's should last you a long time -
Check this...

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took the plunge, and got a TC Model T5710 with the 1.2Ghz processor and Radeon 7000M Graphics, and 16Megs of Video Ram, NEW in the BOX, with everything included, on eBay for $140 + $10 shipping.

It came with 512MB flash drive and 256MB RAM, but I decided to get the 8GB Flash Drive, it's down to $90 + $4 shipping ($106 less 15% OFF with a promo their running) ... so I couldn't resist... http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS8GDOM44H-S

now I'm going to get 512MB RAM chip.

I also found the PCI Expansion Kit , on eBay, for me to put a WiFi card in it... the Engenius EPI-3601S Wireless G Network Adapter - 108Mbps
I hope it works on that TC, if not I'll just use the TC for the magicjack.

anyone know if the PCI slot follows all the PCI specs, and what version specs is that PCI slot anyway?
are the 3.3volt pins active (there are 12 of the 3.3v pins on the PCI connector) ... I have an old MOBO that doesn't have those 12 pins connected to the 3.3v powersupply... I hope this isn't the case with the TC Rolling Eyes
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
free2talk wrote:
2 GB is not supported.

Thanks

I have a T5700 with a 1GB DOM and it works fine.

I don't know if 2GB is supported but obviously at least one other board member is having issues with his 2GB DOM.

The curious thing is that early on in this thread stroths mentions and shows a picture of a 2 GB CF card and adapter being used for flash memory in one of his T5700s. Why a 2 GB CF with 44 pin adapter would work and your DOM won't is a good question.

holy crap, am I now going to not be able to use the full 8GB Flash Drive?
will the TC only see it as a 1GB drive? .. is this a BIOS update issue? ... am I screwed? ...
Confused
Transcend sent an eMail saying it's back ordered, should I just change it to the 1GB and tell them to not send the 8GB one?
I don't know if I have the time to wait for your answer, they may automatically ship it in one or two days if it's not actually backordered.

crap, crap, crap, just my luck. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
bneuman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the 1Gig....it works.....8Gig....probably not
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo,

There are people on this forum who have used 8GB DOM on a T5720.The 5700 it seems is limited to 1GB.( Not confirmed
but at least 2 people including me have had problems with 2GB on a T5700.

Yours is a 5710 it just might read the 8GB one,if not well you can return it and get a lower capacity
DOM.To run the magic jack your 512 MB DOM should be enough once you upgrade the RAM to 512.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
Momo,

There are people on this forum who have used 8GB DOM on a T5720.The 5700 it seems is limited to 1GB.( Not confirmed

Yours is a 5710 it just might read the 8GB one,if not well you can return it and get a lower capacity
DOM.To run the magic jack your 512 MB DOM should be enough once you upgrade the RAM to 512.

Hi, free2talk, (thanks for caring) ... Smile
I called the Transcend tech support to research if the 8GB DOM will work on the t5710, and to verify what RAM module would be most compatible to what they sell...
the promotion to get 15% off if you enter the code "back2school" in the checkout page, is still ON .... so I'd also like to get the SODIMM from them as well if I can. (my luck, the promo will end just before I find out all this info ... Rolling Eyes ) Razz

Meanwhile, I've canceled the 8GB one until they can be sure... I was hoping to use it so I can also have the TC as a small communication server and terminal for internet surfing, and downloading of files, not just the MagicJack ... freeing up my main computer for more important things, so I was trying to use the largest drive I can find, but, now I think, when I want to download something large, I'll just attach a USB Hard Drive for the time needed to finish the file downloading.

I just hope the stupid PCI Expansion Kit will not give me any troubles with the WiFi PCI card I got.... we shall see!
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Transcend TECH cleared things up by researching the correct memory to use.

this was their answer regarding the RAM chips and DOM

------------------------------

Here is the compatible module (up to 1GB).

PC2700 (DDR 333MHz) 200PIN Non-ECC SODIMM http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/MemList.asp

512MB 32Mx8 TS64MSD64V3F (link to ITEM DETAIL - http://ec.transcendusa.com//product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS64MSD64V3F )

1GB 64Mx8 TS128MSD64V3A (link to ITEM DETAIL - http://ec.transcendusa.com//product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS128MSD64V3A )

According to HP, they cannot accept anything above 512MB, both memory and DOM. However, HP also recommends using USB flash drive as storage (AP-HHR100HD2)

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12082_ca/12082_ca.HTML

My suggestion is to stick with a 1GB DOM and use a separate flash drive for storage purpose.

Tech Support

Transcend Information, Inc.

=====================

when you look at the datasheets of the module,

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/Datasheet/TS128MSD64V3A_1870_S.pdf
http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/Datasheet/TS64MSD64V3M_1180_S.pdf

you'll see they have 16 chips on them, 8 on each side, not just 8 total (4 on each side), maybe this was why some here were having problems with them working all the time.
you'll also notice, the 1GB RAM Module is priced lower than the 512MB one... Confused that's strange, but he never said the 1GB will work on the T5710
I'm going to try it based on what others on here said worked on their 5710

so, that's that... I really wished the 2GB DOM (really the 8GB too) would have worked... for 10 dollars more the 2GB is double the storage. Rolling Eyes
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
Momo,

The Trasncend tech said they'd be willing to send me one 8GB DOM for a 30-day evaluation to test your theory, or, fact, as the case may be -
and if it doesn't work, I could send it back and get the lower sized 1GB DOM

First off, that's mighty nice of them. I hope it works, 'cause the 1GB would really limit me, and I didn't want to have a USB HD on it all the time, causing more wattage to be used. I'd still use a USB HD, at times, but, just not all the time.

I found the WD10EVCS interesting, datasheet wise, for the low power it takes in idle, and very low in standby. I ordered one today.
originally made for the PVR hard drive for Digital Recorders.

buy.com has it for $157 and change... and using the coupon code http://www.buy.com/basket/additem.asp?sku=84773074&loc=55812
you can get an additional $7 and change off (it's a 5% off discount coupon i found online) up to 15 dollars off your total...
(input the url at another browser window, at the time of check-out) coupon expiration date is Dec-31-2008

... being buy.com is one of the online stores adding TAX to the bill at checkout, for some states, every bit helps ...
getting back half the tax is nice Laughing too!

in true buy.com fashion, they over-charged for the tax, and have to credit me the difference Rolling Eyes

The whole point of me getting the TC at all is to have a very low power server, without all that heat
and noise too.... but I needed to have enough space to try different uses and configurations, and also have room to expand the duty of it.
it will become my communications server for phone - Internet - TV (using my Dvico USB FusionHDTV tuner) - and whatever else comes up.

So, talk4free, we may see if your theory is correct, that the 5710 may, or should work.
Should I try Question

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 am; edited 2 times in total
stroths

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The t5700 and t5710s should work with the 8gb DOM, but I can't say that with 100% certainty since I don't plan on getting one. I had my t5700 running fine with a 2GB CF card and IDE adapter, but I was running a full version of XP.

Part of the problem with a larger storage medium is with the HP XPe image. I don't think it likes going over a certain size. The hardware doesn't seem to have any issues though since I had a 30GB laptop drive hooked up at one point just for testing with full XP.

If you go with the 8GB, I would suggest you try out a regular copy of XP and nlite it if you know how. My t5710 runs a slimmed down XP that I managed to squeeze on a 1GB DOM, but just barely. If you want to stick with XPe, you will likely run into the problems I did if you want to use the full capacity of your storage. I tried to use partitioning software to expand the partition which worked, but XPe gave me activation errors. I installed a crack often used on copies of XP to make them "genuine" and it fixed that error. Considering this isn't that type of forum, I won't go into details but I am sure a google search will find what you need (antiwpa).

If you go the full XP route, read up in my earlier posts for a link to the EWF driver to preserve the life of the DOM.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case i got a 2GB DOM and fixed it up on the T5700.Went to the BIOS and it shows up as a 1002 MB sized disk.
This was a brand new DOM without any OS installed to it.

Could it be the BIOS which limits it ?
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ free2talk, the idea it's the BIOS ran through my mind too... to bad I don't know assembly language Smile

@ stroths, yes, I was also thinking of running an "xp-lited" version of the full xp pro, lucky for me I have a legit unused key to try from
a never installed legit purchase. I figured it was most likely the XPe limited control of the hardware... but the BIOS question is still annoying me too, anyway to find out if it's also limiting the Thin Clients use of "any" hardware options?

Now may be that time to use my unused key for the full XP, ... I'm just wondering if MS will hick-up about it when it's activated, that it's not the machine they intended it for.
(they'll have to refund my doe, or try to pry the CD out of my dead cold hands) Smile

and yes, I saw the post about the EWF driver, interesting read. Wink ...
you'd think MS would make it as easy to set as a control panel mouse click. Rolling Eyes

well .... it sounds like you're all saying "... go ahead and try it ..."
and I tend to agree.

I'm going to wait until all the stuff gets delivered, with the stock chips and DOM in there already, then I'll call Transcend and order the
Evaluation 8GB DOM to try, and the 1GB SODIMM RAM, ... I've got 10 days (or 9 days at the time of this post) to order with the 15% off promo.

I'm so glad I didn't get the 5700 ... it's a good thing the one available (two of them) were 800Mhz processors, .. it made me go with the
BRAND NEW IN BOX 5710, with all the accessories... and the 1.2GHz processor.

even though I paid $140 + 10 shipping, the used ones went for around $100 at the end of the auction, and to spend that much for one that's used, and without all the normally included items, didn't make much sense to me, so, there ya go, "lucky me" Smile

I'll let you all know what the result is ... in about one week or so... after getting the 8GB DOM.
joevv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just set up a t5720 with MJ and did not have to install Directx. I guess the latest upgrade from MJ (3124) no longer needs DX to work. I upgraded the TC with the latest xpe image file from HP's website and plugged in MJ and it worked right away.

Joe
Magicjack reseller
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the difference between the 5710 and 5720 ... any that are major? (other than it going to 1GB RAM, and higher DOM capacities as stock)

EDITED
nevermind, I found out already Smile

Last edited by momo on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I got a 5720 after our last chat and netflix streams well to my LCD from the thin client but HULU sucks specially HD shows.Stutters a lot and lots of lag between audio and video.I was thinking if i upgrade to the 64MB Nvidia will it work for HULU?I wanted to know your experience with Hulu.Have you tried to stream hulu with your upgraded 5720 ?
HULUs processor requirements are huge 3Ghz !!! and we cant upgrade processor on 5720 anyway...
I have upgraded my RAM to 1GB and my internet is cable 6.0 MBPS.If HULU works for you then i would also go for the 64MB VRAM and the pci expansion slot.

As always thanks for your insights.
amex202
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Thin Client running MJ and winamp(as the the on hold music player) business phone system here.
PTravel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free2talk wrote:
Mark,
I got a 5720 after our last chat and netflix streams well to my LCD from the thin client but HULU sucks specially HD shows.Stutters a lot and lots of lag between audio and video.I was thinking if i upgrade to the 64MB Nvidia will it work for HULU?I wanted to know your experience with Hulu.Have you tried to stream hulu with your upgraded 5720 ?
HULUs processor requirements are huge 3Ghz !!! and we cant upgrade processor on 5720 anyway...
I have upgraded my RAM to 1GB and my internet is cable 6.0 MBPS.If HULU works for you then i would also go for the 64MB VRAM and the pci expansion slot.

As always thanks for your insights.
What video card are you using in the 5720? I haven't tried HULU yet on it (just found out about it today from your post). However, my 5720 plays mpeg2 from a hard drive just fine -- that's a 10 mbps bandwidth, which is considerably more than your 6 mpbs internet connection. I get no stuttering or other problems of any kind. Also, I suspect that HULU's requirements are quite overstated. My 2 GHz Core 2 Duo laptop plays HULU HD in full screen just fine. I'm out of town at the moment, but when I return, I'll try HULU on the 5720 and let you know how it works. Frankly, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptravel,
Thanks for the reply.
I haven't upgraded my video card yet.I am planning to upgrade to 64MB Nvidia but wanted to confirm first.Hulu says it requires min 3 GHZ processor and min 64MB VRAM.I can upgrade the Video card but can the 1Ghz processor handle hulu ? If it works from your 5720 with the upgraded video card then the answer would be yes.
But for an accurate result to stream HD content from Hulu you would need to have high speed cable, dsl doesnt cut it yet.
Pls check and let us know.
Also checked your website.Good start.Will wait for the content to come up.
Incidentally there is a lot of demand for nettop PCs (devices streaming to LCD tv) and the thin client fits that bill nicely.If only the processor were at least 1.5 Ghz.But its ok for now.
PTravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a DVI-out card for the t5720 is more than a little tricky. HP has a 4-head one, the name of which I don't recall at the moment that's quite expensive. I first tried an ATI PCI card (it's very, very difficult to find a DVI-out card in a PCI, as opposed to PCIe, format). It simply didn't work. I could load the drivers, but when I'd try to do anything with it, I'd get an error message indicating that it was an "old" driver and not supported by the OS. I finally bought a Matrox TC2 dual-head card ($175 on ebay and that was a STEAL -- everyone else has it for $250 or more). HP claimed it wouldn't work. Matrox claimed it would. They were both right and both wrong. The t5720 gave the same error message but it did let me change resolution and other settings. This thing worked fine with my HDTV -- I keep ripped movies on an external USB drive and play them with VLAN. I also added a USB 7.1 toslink audio interface. VLAN upscales very nicely so I wound up with an upconverting, 7 channel surround sound video jukebox. It does not handle HD well, but I haven't played with it much -- I had an HDV clip that choked VLAN and the t5720. It could be that the bandwidth, 25 mbps, is just too great but I'll play around with it some more.

I'm home, now, but I'm copying some huge files over the network to the t5720 video machine, so I can't test Hulu. I will tomorrow, though. Frankly, I'll be shocked if it doesn't work.

You also might shortcut the whole process by buying a t5730. This has a built in DVI port, as well as a couple of other upgrades (same CPU, though). I just picked one up on ebay for $249, but that was also a steal -- I've been watching them for a while and they're always in the $400-600 range.

Incidentally, I'm having such fun with these thin clients (the t5730 is my fifth one), I've decided to start a website devoted to them. It's not up and running, yet, as I'm still configuring the forum and some of the "info" pages. You can say the home page now, though, at www.thinclientforum.com -- I'm rather proud of the Legal Notice section. Wink

Hope you'll stop by once it's open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: