magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Finally can use MagicJack on Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiderman4
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: I Finally can use MagicJack on Linux Reply with quote

Hi Guys im a linux user and after months trying to find how to make MAGICJACK works on Linux, I install "WMware Workstation" PAID VERSION*** and looks the results:

yes works for me awesome!!! Smile
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine in Vmware Server as well as Virtualbox 3, both of which are free.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paperloader
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your analog phone work with Virtual Box 3? I don't want to use headphones.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm so here's an interesting problem. In ubuntu 9.04, my magicjack worked correctly in VB3, and was detected as one device even. No such luck in VB3 on hardy heron. It will not start.

I'm going to try version 2 and get back to you.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't work in version 2 under ubuntu 8.04 either. However, it does work using VMware Server under hardy heron. So I guess you should use either of those 2 applications depending on the version of linux/ubuntu you're running.
montego
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had it working under Ubuntu 9.04 with VMServer 2.x and now with the latest Ubuntu updates, I can no longer get XP to recognize the MJ. It keeps coming up now with "Error, Broken Storage". I have tried, via the guest XP O/S to reformat the MJ "drive", but it doesn't work. It used to be where I could also see the MJ Phone icon on my Ubuntu desktop, but now I see a USB drive and as soon as I connect to the TigerJet USB "drive" within the VMServer console at the bottom right, the USB drive disappears off my Ubuntu desktop, a My Computer instance fires up on the XP guest, disappears, and then the MJ begins to fire up like it used to, then the "Error, Broken Storage" message. Haven't a clue now what is broken.
sudobash
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

I already had a VMWare Workstation XP install and got the magicjack calling out with in 10 minutes in Linux once I actually got around to it. The hardest part about getting it working in Linux XP VM was just having to make sure the device stayed unmounted in Linux so it can be mounted in the VM... I have had this Magic Jack since my bday in April and just now actually got it working like 5 minutes ago... I am curious and looking for info on extracting the SIP information so I can get it working without a VM in Linux.
montego
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm Reply with quote

sudobash wrote:
make sure the device stayed unmounted in Linux so it can be mounted in the VM

May I ask how you were able to accomplish that? I am willing to try just about anything.
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried it with virtualbox ? Reply with quote

I have not tried it yet, however virtualbox (PEUL) licensed works with USB devices by default

But that still defeats the purpose of using it on linux though ?

DARN pesky windows
pathologicalglances
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Using Magic Jack in Virtual Box Reply with quote

I previously had installed Windows XP service pack 3 using virtual box on Linux 9.04 64-bit and succeeded in getting the USB recognized within virtual box's Win XP. However the sound quality was horrible. Much delay, like I was constantly running too many programs. I tried setting ram up to over 1 gig and the problem persisted. I was wondering if anyone else has tried virtual box and had this same issue? I may try VMware server, it seems everyone is having much more success with it.
killabx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problems with virtualbox. I installed WinXP on a headless server running Debian on an AMD64-X2 with 4GB RAM. The audio was choppy. I installed WinXP on identical hardware with 2GB RAM and it worked flawlessly. I'm not sure what's going on, other than to suspect something with the speed of USB, due to driver issues or something. Does anybody know if Magicjack runs fine on USB 1.0? I'm running it (supposedly) on USB 2.0.

I have seen at least one other post on another forum where so
ebody claimed that it works under virtualbox. So, maybe it's something with our configurations?
zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Magic Jack in Virtual Box Reply with quote

pathologicalglances wrote:
I previously had installed Windows XP service pack 3 using virtual box on Linux 9.04 64-bit and succeeded in getting the USB recognized within virtual box's Win XP. However the sound quality was horrible. Much delay, like I was constantly running too many programs. I tried setting ram up to over 1 gig and the problem persisted. I was wondering if anyone else has tried virtual box and had this same issue? I may try VMware server, it seems everyone is having much more success with it.

I have gotten it to work using VirtualBox in a XP VM. See my post here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post55486.html#55486

Very important to get VBox 3.1.4 or later.

Best
Z

Edit: I rescind this post. Yes I can get the interface up. Yes I can make and receive calls. BUT, please read the edit I made to my post in the link above. Arrow
DeanZF
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings one and all,

I am about to be the owner of MJ. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to Linux. Bought a Dell laptop with Ubuntu installed, no Windows OS at all. Have not figured out how to remedy that, but someday. Sigh.

My questions are about the specifics of using MJ with a bare Ubuntu system, Jaunty (9.04). I need for someone to go really, REALLY slow with me to walk me totally through what's needed to make it work on my Ubuntu laptop. Does it need to have some version of XP hiding on the same machine?

Also, I do not care whether it's on an analog phone or a software phone. Is that a "soft phone"? The jargon is all very new to me. I am interested in cheap and effective communication. I'm just fine with a headset. Cheap is good so long as it's...well, good! Smile

Looking forward to the interaction
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanZF wrote:
Greetings one and all,

I am about to be the owner of MJ. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to Linux. Bought a Dell laptop with Ubuntu installed, no Windows OS at all. Have not figured out how to remedy that, but someday. Sigh.

My questions are about the specifics of using MJ with a bare Ubuntu system, Jaunty (9.04). I need for someone to go really, REALLY slow with me to walk me totally through what's needed to make it work on my Ubuntu laptop. Does it need to have some version of XP hiding on the same machine?

Also, I do not care whether it's on an analog phone or a software phone. Is that a "soft phone"? The jargon is all very new to me. I am interested in cheap and effective communication. I'm just fine with a headset. Cheap is good so long as it's...well, good! Smile

Looking forward to the interaction

You obviously lack the 'nix chops to truly resolve this issue.
Pay Redpepper his fee and grab your sip credentials, install your favorite softphone (I suggest Ekiga) and start calling. Outright plugging in your MJ to a 'nix box is a veeeerrry unlikely scenario...
ashwinipn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Sound problem with MagicJack in VirtualBox Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently could use MJ successfully with the latest VB in Win XP guest on Ubnutu 10.04 64 bit host. However, I experience sound distortion/clicking a lot and actually call becomes useless with that noise. When I run MJ in Native Windows (Vista) installation in the same USB port, the noise disappears. So, I think it has something to do with the interface between host and guest. Probably, the USB driver emulation of VB 3.2. Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Ashwini
kawikaratekid
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the vmware workstation idea...Do I need to download that plus have an O/S to run on it?
KhanTG
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Yes.. Reply with quote

kawikaratekid wrote:
I'm new to the vmware workstation idea...Do I need to download that plus have an O/S to run on it?

Yep... VMware is just hardware virtualization, kind of defeats the purpose of having linux if you ask me. I just keep a cheap M$ box hanging around for my VPN and MJ. would like to see some REAL development for MJ on Linux though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: