magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I suggest doing this when setting up a new MJ account.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Dasher
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: I suggest doing this when setting up a new MJ account. Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

For those of you that are about to setup a new MJ account you may want to do a bit of research.

What I discovered through trial and error was that the area code (proxy server) you first register with is the the proxy you will all ways be with even if you change your area code. So it doesn't matter how many times you change your phone number it will always be routed through the area code (proxy) you initally picked.

What I did for my second MJ was to ping and tracert the various MJ proxies and VM servers to find which had the shortest routes and ping times in relation to my Internet provider. After finding this info I did a quick search of this forum to see if anyone had issues with the area code I was about to pick. When all seemed to be good I registered my new MJ to that area code though it wasn't the area code I wanted.

I'm not sure if you have to wait but just to be sure, after a week of using the temporay area code I used my one free MJ phone number switch to choose a phone number in an area code I actually wanted.

So I got the area code I wanted (New York City) on better MJ servers.

Hope this helps a few of you. Please let us all know if I'm not correct in my assumptions.

Mr D.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice thing to know when I get another mj I will make sure to give it a try. Thats been my only downside with mj was having an area code thats fixed to the atlanta server and having to block that server because it's overloaded. Thanks sabresfan
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you guys look for other methods?? There is a way, stated in this forum, to block certain Proxies. If you are in a area of a Proxy that doesn't give clean service, it can be changed and the bad one blocked. If you search you can find
Smile
Mr_Dasher
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did search and I did find.

I found the blocking of proxies not to work in the sense that it introduced a lot of inconsistanecies. To make sure I would always got the proxy I wanted I had to block every other proxy then wait until my MJ found the one that worked. Then it would work and then wouldn't work. I could make a call and then the next time I would get just dial tone. ,etc.

Really, my suggestion was aimed at people who were setting up a new MJ account.

As an aside, I found eliminating the MJ dongle and going softphone or external ATA device gave me better quality with no lost calls.

Mr. D
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a certain number of proxy servers blocked and mj has been great ever since. It's a small price to pay for the savings. This is nice to know for future use and those that do a little research and may not have to go through the pain of making mj work for them with this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: