magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I wanted to share information from MJ support...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sellenwood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: I wanted to share information from MJ support... Reply with quote

I just spoke with two different MJ techs. The main problem is that incoming calls only work maybe 1 in 10.
Since several items were of interest (and potential help to others in the community), I thought I'd post some of the info here. Also, I apologize for the LENGTH of this post, but it seemed there was potentially useful info.
~~~
Here's the first tech:

Scott Ellenwood: i can MAKE calls
Scott Ellenwood: i can only Receive Sporadically.
Scott Ellenwood: 1 in 10.
David: Click the link below and click the "Have Vista?" icon to upgrade to Vista (works with XP and Vista)
David: http://www.magicjack.com/site/customercare.html
Scott Ellenwood: already did that.
Scott Ellenwood: when i first set it up.
David: Click the link below for magicFix: http://www.magicjack.com/site/magicfix.html If that does not work: Please
try connecting your magicJack to a different USB port and try again If that does not work: Please try using a different
phone with your magicJack If that does not work: Please reboot your modem and router (if you are using one) for 3
minutes
Scott Ellenwood: well then, it seems i've already run the gamut. I've done each of these things over the last couple
days. Does this mean i'll have to settle for it being outgoing only?
David: no

David: This is going to be a bit complicated but I will try to explain as well
David: as I possibly can.
David: Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to "Start" in Windows and click on
David: "run". In there write regedit and press enter.
David: Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
David: Click on + sign next to SYSTEM
David: Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet
David: Click on + sign next to Enum
David: Now find folder called USB. Right click on that and click on
David: "Permissions". In permissions click on the check mark called "Allow" to the right
David: of "Full Control".
David: Click Ok.
David: Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called
David: "Vid1307", right click on one at a time and select delete.
David: Now click on - Sign next to USB.
David: Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.
David: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.
David: Find the folders called "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
David: and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
David: Right click on those one at a time and delete them.
David: Now exit Regedit and then plug your magicJack in.

Scott Ellenwood: fyi... in vista, it's not call vid1307
Scott Ellenwood: it's vid_1307&pid_0169
Scott Ellenwood: and you can't delete them
David: ok thanks
Scott Ellenwood: and i *am* administrator
David: i understand
Scott Ellenwood: same w/ubstore... you can go to permissions & try to tive 'full control' to everyone (checkmark in Allow), but you get access denied.

~~~
Here's stuff from the second tech:

Henok: disable your antivirus firewalls please and restart your magicjack
Scott Ellenwood: i have no a/v or firewalls active.
Scott Ellenwood: ok, how do i 'restart' the magicjack? unplug & plug back in?
Henok: is the blue light on?
Scott Ellenwood: yes
Henok: ok go to my computer and find a magicjack icon and a removable disk or drive called Phone
Scott Ellenwood: ok. i see it.
Scott Ellenwood: hit 'eject' ???
Scott Ellenwood: btw .. in Vista it's called magicJack (Vista only)
Henok: no
Henok: ok right click on vista only and select start magicjack
Henok: does the magicjack start?
Scott Ellenwood: yes. it's coming up again.
Henok: ok
Henok: let me knwo when up
Scott Ellenwood: oh, it's up, but when i call the number, i get the 'temporary greeting'.
Henok: is this your greeting?
Henok: did you see my call?
Scott Ellenwood: nope. didn't see anything come on the screen.
Scott Ellenwood: my call log is empty.
Henok: what message is displayed on the dialpad?
Scott Ellenwood: says ready to call, then the #
Henok: are you able to place calls and receive calls?
Scott Ellenwood: i'm able to PLACE calls fine.
Henok: go to menu on the dialpad and make sure that do not distrub icon is not checked
Scott Ellenwood: no, it wasn't checked.
Scott Ellenwood: just to make sure, i just checked & unchecked it.
Scott Ellenwood: just tried the #... still get the 'temporary greeting'.
Henok: when was the last time you where able to receive calls?
Scott Ellenwood: first thing this AM i tried it. it went right through. then 2 mins later i tried it again & got the
temporary greeting.
Scott Ellenwood: and i've rebooted the system in the interim.
Scott Ellenwood: made sure no programs are running.
Scott Ellenwood: done the magicfix... it says everything's fine.
Henok: try a different phone please, is that possible
Scott Ellenwood: As I told Mr David, I've tried all those suggestions.
Scott Ellenwood: i've put on different phones, i've checked wiring, i've downed the router & modem, i've rebooted,
i've put my MJ in different usb ports...
Scott Ellenwood: i've run the VISTA upgrade program, i've done Magicfix.
Scott Ellenwood: autorun is enables, i do not have any programs incompatible w/MJ, I don't have any running
programs that would interfere w/ MJ installation process, MJ is compatible w/my operating system, I have the correct
version of directx, my audio settings are correc, my MJ is functioniing properly.
Scott Ellenwood: have i left anything out?
Henok: are you behind a router?
Scott Ellenwood: i am plugged directly into the back of the router (it's one that allows for wireless access via our
laptops).
Scott Ellenwood: and per previous conversations, have downed both it AND the highspeed modem.
Scott Ellenwood: for about 10mins while i checked wiring.
Henok: yes are the ports 5060/5070 unblocked on your router?
Scott Ellenwood: one moment. let me check.
Scott Ellenwood: VoIP is enabled.
Henok: yes are these specific ports unblocked?
Henok: 5060/5070
Scott Ellenwood: going through the list. one sec.
Scott Ellenwood: yep.
Scott Ellenwood: 5060 is udp
Scott Ellenwood: enabled.
Henok: 5060 to 5070 udp
Henok: are these ports forwarde to your computers IP address?
Scott Ellenwood: the only screen i have shows enabled.
Henok: Scott I will pass this issue to our engineers and they will take a look at it
Henok: I will contact you as soon it has been fixed
teano1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanted to share information from MJ support... Reply with quote

sellenwood wrote:
I just spoke with two different MJ techs. The main problem is that incoming calls only work maybe 1 in 10.
Since several items were of interest (and potential help to others in the community), I thought I'd post some of the info here. Also, I apologize for the LENGTH of this post, but it seemed there was potentially useful info.
~~~
Here's the first tech:

Scott Ellenwood: i can MAKE calls
Scott Ellenwood: i can only Receive Sporadically.
Scott Ellenwood: 1 in 10.
David: Click the link below and click the "Have Vista?" icon to upgrade to Vista (works with XP and Vista)
David: http://www.magicjack.com/site/customercare.html
Scott Ellenwood: already did that.
Scott Ellenwood: when i first set it up.
David: Click the link below for magicFix: http://www.magicjack.com/site/magicfix.html If that does not work: Please
try connecting your magicJack to a different USB port and try again If that does not work: Please try using a different
phone with your magicJack If that does not work: Please reboot your modem and router (if you are using one) for 3
minutes
Scott Ellenwood: well then, it seems i've already run the gamut. I've done each of these things over the last couple
days. Does this mean i'll have to settle for it being outgoing only?
David: no

David: This is going to be a bit complicated but I will try to explain as well
David: as I possibly can.
David: Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to "Start" in Windows and click on
David: "run". In there write regedit and press enter.
David: Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
David: Click on + sign next to SYSTEM
David: Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet
David: Click on + sign next to Enum
David: Now find folder called USB. Right click on that and click on
David: "Permissions". In permissions click on the check mark called "Allow" to the right
David: of "Full Control".
David: Click Ok.
David: Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called
David: "Vid1307", right click on one at a time and select delete.
David: Now click on - Sign next to USB.
David: Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.
David: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.
David: Find the folders called "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
David: and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
David: Right click on those one at a time and delete them.
David: Now exit Regedit and then plug your magicJack in.

Scott Ellenwood: fyi... in vista, it's not call vid1307
Scott Ellenwood: it's vid_1307&pid_0169
Scott Ellenwood: and you can't delete them
David: ok thanks
Scott Ellenwood: and i *am* administrator
David: i understand
Scott Ellenwood: same w/ubstore... you can go to permissions & try to tive 'full control' to everyone (checkmark in Allow), but you get access denied.

~~~
Here's stuff from the second tech:

Henok: disable your antivirus firewalls please and restart your magicjack
Scott Ellenwood: i have no a/v or firewalls active.
Scott Ellenwood: ok, how do i 'restart' the magicjack? unplug & plug back in?
Henok: is the blue light on?
Scott Ellenwood: yes
Henok: ok go to my computer and find a magicjack icon and a removable disk or drive called Phone
Scott Ellenwood: ok. i see it.
Scott Ellenwood: hit 'eject' ???
Scott Ellenwood: btw .. in Vista it's called magicJack (Vista only)
Henok: no
Henok: ok right click on vista only and select start magicjack
Henok: does the magicjack start?
Scott Ellenwood: yes. it's coming up again.
Henok: ok
Henok: let me knwo when up
Scott Ellenwood: oh, it's up, but when i call the number, i get the 'temporary greeting'.
Henok: is this your greeting?
Henok: did you see my call?
Scott Ellenwood: nope. didn't see anything come on the screen.
Scott Ellenwood: my call log is empty.
Henok: what message is displayed on the dialpad?
Scott Ellenwood: says ready to call, then the #
Henok: are you able to place calls and receive calls?
Scott Ellenwood: i'm able to PLACE calls fine.
Henok: go to menu on the dialpad and make sure that do not distrub icon is not checked
Scott Ellenwood: no, it wasn't checked.
Scott Ellenwood: just to make sure, i just checked & unchecked it.
Scott Ellenwood: just tried the #... still get the 'temporary greeting'.
Henok: when was the last time you where able to receive calls?
Scott Ellenwood: first thing this AM i tried it. it went right through. then 2 mins later i tried it again & got the
temporary greeting.
Scott Ellenwood: and i've rebooted the system in the interim.
Scott Ellenwood: made sure no programs are running.
Scott Ellenwood: done the magicfix... it says everything's fine.
Henok: try a different phone please, is that possible
Scott Ellenwood: As I told Mr David, I've tried all those suggestions.
Scott Ellenwood: i've put on different phones, i've checked wiring, i've downed the router & modem, i've rebooted,
i've put my MJ in different usb ports...
Scott Ellenwood: i've run the VISTA upgrade program, i've done Magicfix.
Scott Ellenwood: autorun is enables, i do not have any programs incompatible w/MJ, I don't have any running
programs that would interfere w/ MJ installation process, MJ is compatible w/my operating system, I have the correct
version of directx, my audio settings are correc, my MJ is functioniing properly.
Scott Ellenwood: have i left anything out?
Henok: are you behind a router?
Scott Ellenwood: i am plugged directly into the back of the router (it's one that allows for wireless access via our
laptops).
Scott Ellenwood: and per previous conversations, have downed both it AND the highspeed modem.
Scott Ellenwood: for about 10mins while i checked wiring.
Henok: yes are the ports 5060/5070 unblocked on your router?
Scott Ellenwood: one moment. let me check.
Scott Ellenwood: VoIP is enabled.
Henok: yes are these specific ports unblocked?
Henok: 5060/5070
Scott Ellenwood: going through the list. one sec.
Scott Ellenwood: 5060 is udp
Scott Ellenwood: enabled.
Henok: 5060 to 5070 udp
Henok: are these ports forwarde to your computers IP address?
Scott Ellenwood: the only screen i have shows enabled.
Henok: Scott I will pass this issue to our engineers and they will take a look at it
Henok: I will contact you as soon it has been fixed

Hello,
have window-xp I did this ,it reinstalled mjack but I still am not able to register it ,tells me "unable to contact the service provider".

In the forum are also many guys with same trouble and I still get no support from magicjack.com USA and CANADA are they still in business????.
Thanks for your help.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i think they're in business...otherwise like sunrocket they would just put up some crappy text saying that they left and right after u read it your out of service Very Happy thats how it happened to me. I think there in business but there chat sucks, they're igorning u, or there is an issue with there chat.
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Al
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I read he appeared to be doing his job which is to go thru a number of steps one at a time to eliminate some obvious possible issues.. then he turned it over to the next level... not unlike just about any tech support function in most companies....

Did you ever think that he was just following directives in not transferring you to Amange? Just because another tech does pass you to Amange does not mean that tech is following protocol... perhaps he is a renegade regarding following protocol?

Why not ask Amange for a direct contact method so you can bypass David and Henok? and be sure to let us know how you make out.
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar experiences...and I think there definitely are different tech support levels. I had the most luck with Richie. On a follow up call you have do go through the different levels.

I managed to get Richie to call me. I always keep notes of the last person I spoke to, and try to copy and save my chat sessions.
katan_bartak
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most common issue with no incoming calls or sporatic incoming calls is a problem with the routing between the different phone companies and magicjack servers.

you will be best served to get the companies that callers are using to try to reach you to trouble ticket it and they will work with majicjack to solve the problem.

the phone companies use each others lines to route calls and the same problem could be affecting multiple companies.
sellenwood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Just a follow-up for those interested... Reply with quote

Well, it's been nearly a week and the calls STILL can't come in. There's no use contacting each individual telephone company -- from what I keep reading they point at each other or at MJ.

So, what'll it be Dan (Barislow)? Is there really a level-2 set of technicians that do anything other than play videogames? Is there actually anyone out there working on helping this service live up to its potential???

Ok, Ok, I"ve only given it a week. Should I wait 2 weeks before getting pissy? How about a month? OH, wait! Then my 30-day trial will be up, the thing still won't work, and I'll have an 'outgoing only' device on my hands. (which, judging by calls today, can be very static-filled).

::::siiigh::::

Guess it was too good to be true.

dse
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sellenwood,

You know it could be your MagicJack box. Why don't you ask them for a new one. From what I have read it is not that hard to get them to send you a replacement unit.

I suggest this because the description of your problem doesn't IMHO fit the normal or typical pattern of problems and lets face it there has to be a lemon MJ Box or two floating around out there.

Also this is not following comment is not directed at you but just MJ users in general. This think is pretty damn handy and has saved me a fair chunk of change in the few weeks I have had it. I use it predominately for outgoing calls. I would sure not consider it ready for prime time nor would I even consider relying on it for incoming calls. And anyone that picks up one of these things and cancels their real phone is just looking for about a four Valium anxiety attack.

Back at you Mr./Mrs. sellenwood, as far as over shooting your thirty day mark not to offend you but why don't you just accept it as yours and use it for the next year. There are only two possibilities, it will get better or they will go out of business. The chances of you not recovering your outlay in saved long distance calls over the period of one year I should think would be pretty slim. You have to admit it is a pretty entertaining new toy and every time I have an hour long - long-distance call for free I feel like a little kid that just made off with the cookie jar. Wink

But from a technical perspective again let me repeat myself and suggest that maybe you have a Defective Black Box and a replacement unit might put all your current problems behind you and think of all the Valium you won't have to take. Wink

"My Two Cents" and absolutely no offense intended toward you sellenwood or anyone else that may read this.
brucemc777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started trolling these entries, but has anyone else picked up on any other registry settings or installed files? I am trying to condense the information down to a "simple" tech reference for us until a real one is released, but seeing how we are still in beta I suppose that is a moving target...

Though I am kind of late in getting on board - excellent information you folks posted; THANK-YOU!
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Bruce777

That would be an appreciated effort, but I think you would be burning your time. I think I would wait until this is out of beta to pursue this.

If it ever gets out of beta. Ha

It's a happy thought, though.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad,

Do I detect a twinge of pessimism in your comments Mr. digitalnomad. Laughing

Unless there is a lot going on that we mortals don't know about they sure seem to be taking their time ... considering I have seen Late night TV commercials for the Magic Jack, around the same hours they advertise the Oric Magic Vacuums - but wait if you act right now... you still don't get a set of Ginsu knifes added to sweeten the deal.

OK so my humor is sick, I take medication.
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I actually like the product and the service.

I just find it odd that it is based on TigerJet and SJ and supposedly has been in development for 3 years.

I have been involved with some of the larger baby bells, the 3 letter guys, and some smart tech types that worked for Northern Telecom that left and started smaller tech companies.

I am not an engineer myself, but do know a little about telecom from being involved in marketing new products and services, and it ain't all rocket science.

So, I just find it hard to see why it's taking them so long. They keep talking about 40 Russian technicians they hired and stuff like that...sounds like nonsense.

Last edited by digitalnomad on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad,

I pretty much agree with you and as far as their extremely slow product advancement, well it doesn't make sense to me if you are advertising on TV. If it was me I would be concerned about thousands of returns from people that just want to use the phone and not tinker with some hi-tech toy.

I also like the MJ and even with it's pitfalls wouldn't consider returning it for two reasons (I said this in another post but what the hell) every-time I make a long distance call for free I feel like I just got away with something and secondly I like tech toys. Actually there is a third reason I have what borders on a sick love affair with phones and phone gadgets ever since I was a kid. like some of my cell phones, they almost border on being a "Dick Tracey" "Wrist Radio", therefore in my deranged mind very, very cool. Embarassed
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your fetish. I have even been involved in some attempts at startup companies involving either telephony products or services. It all started way back...

Oh well, you know.
sellenwood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: OK, I give up. Reply with quote

As another user pointed out, I can have free calls for a year just for the cost of the box.
The only downside is I can't have calls coming in. That's kind of important when people want to get ahold of you.

Yes, the box may simply be bad, but to date no one from support has responded to me with suggestions about fixing things, so we can't be sure that's the situation
So, who do I call? There's no 'live' phone support and the techs don't seem to be able to get anything accomplished, so I doubt they'd know how to exchange a potentially bad box.

I guess I must just be picky, but if I put out over 3hrs of my effort (I only earn $10/hr) I want the darned thing to work.
So come on, Techies. Come on Dan Barislow. Come on SOMEONE.

Either make it work, tell me how to exchange it, or tell me how to send the &%#@ thing back. Mad
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sellewood-

Try this from HolmanGT on another thread here on this forum. You need to "read" the forum.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=2929#2929

Also, I sent you a pm that may help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: