magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If existing customer and get email offer for $34.95...?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alcheringa
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: If existing customer and get email offer for $34.95...????? Reply with quote

If existing customer and get email offer for $34.95......

Had to get online help to order. The CC order screen does not display your CC billing address and consequently will not complete.
Once the correct billing address for the CC used is entered the order completes online, but it does not give you an option for an alternate shipping address.
You must then get chat to pull up your order and add/change to different shipping address.
BTW, when talking with chat you can order multiple new MJ+s at the discounted price, but only the first is not billed for 30 days, the extra units are billed to your cc immediately.......always something
rexlan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They told me that I would lose all of my pre-paid remaining service if I switched units. Losing 3 years of service make is NOT a great deal so I went to NetTalk instead.
alcheringa
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't HAVE to switch units. just keep your original unit and buy the Plus,
especially if you can get it at half price.

Keep your original till it expires.

Add the new Plus on your original MJ number.

Then you have 2 units at pretty good deal.

Use the plus as a stand alone and use the original when you are online with your PC, or when you travel, or give it to someone who deserves it.
It's Xmas!

I had a 5 year deal on my original and it still has a couple of years to go.
for $70/five years it was a good deal.
I don't plan on dumping it, or the remaining years.
TheMagicHasFaded
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rexlan wrote:
They told me that I would lose all of my pre-paid remaining service if I switched units. Losing 3 years of service make is NOT a great deal so I went to NetTalk instead.

You don't lose it, you just cannot apply it toward your MJ+ if you buy one. Yes, it's a pretty greedy and idiotic policy but who wouldn't expect this from Dan and his cronies? Lesson learned by most is don't EVER EVER purchase advance years from MJ again. I know people suggest you keep both but many of us, myself included wants to upgrade/replace my old MJ, not supplement it and try to feel good about this unfriendly policy by keeping the old one around. I think most people with a couple of years or more remaining wouldn't even mind paying the full price for the MJ+ if the existing credits could be applied toward the MJ+ dollar for dollar. I think everyone understands it wouldn't be year for a year because of the 50% higher price for MJ+ service. If there is a way to make customers feel screwed and unappreciated, these guys find a way to do it at every single turn, every policy, every decision.
toyfountain
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ sold five years of service for the MJ for $70 and $100. If one gets the offer to buy the MJ+ for $35 then there is a rebate of $35 too on the regular price of the MJ+. That equals to crediting 1.75 year of MJ for those who bought the extended service for $100 and 2.5 years of credit for the people at $70. That is if a person was willing to buy the MJ+ at the regular price of $70 which is the same as Nettalk's price. One gets to keep their number, with Nettalk, one doesn't. I also think MJ has way more local prefixes for each area code than Nettalk. At least that is so for Canada.
Pablo123
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that, I think Nettalk has more coverage in Canada then MJ does.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo123 wrote:
I second that, I think Nettalk has more coverage in Canada then MJ does.

If you "second" that, I assume you know that means you agree? The post said they thought MJ had more coverage than NT in Canada.
TheMagicHasFaded
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyfountain wrote:
MJ sold five years of service for the MJ for $70 and $100. If one gets the offer to buy the MJ+ for $35 then there is a rebate of $35 too on the regular price of the MJ+. That equals to crediting 1.75 year of MJ for those who bought the extended service for $100 and 2.5 years of credit for the people at $70. That is if a person was willing to buy the MJ+ at the regular price of $70 which is the same as Nettalk's price. One gets to keep their number, with Nettalk, one doesn't. I also think MJ has way more local prefixes for each area code than Nettalk. At least that is so for Canada.

Your logic is flawed in addtion to that being a lot of work to make oneself feel good about customer unfriendly policies. Instead of trying to consider this a "rebate" of something not yet used, think of it in out of pocket terms. Assume I just renewed my MJ for 5 years for $100 or $70. Now I get the offer to buy a MJ+ for $35 plus shipping for about $45 delivered which includes the first year of service. Assume I have no use for two MJ devices and I don't want to continue to dedicate a computer or thin client to MJ.

My out of pocket for first year if I want MJ+ and choose to abandon my old MJ is $145 (@$100) or $115 (@$70). It is then $30 annually for service assuming no surprises from Dan next year and beyond. If Dan and cronies would allow me to buy MJ+ for $80 ($70+shipping) and apply $ for $ of prepaid to my new account then year 1 out of pocket is $80 and I would receive prepaid credit for 3.33 years ($100 credit /$30 yr) of additional service or 2.33 yrs ($70/$30). In the $100 example, I get 4.33 years of MJ+ for $180 out of pocket or in the $70 example I get 3.33 years for $150 out of pocket.

Out of pocket for 4.33 years (yr 1 + 3.33 add'l) becomes:
promo MJ+ and eat $100 = $45+$100+3.33*$30 = $245 or $57/yr
versus
full price MJ+ and apply $100=$80+$100= $180 or $42/yr
Breakeven would be if I could get someone to buy my old MJ and 5 years of prepaid for $65.

For the $70 example and 3.33 (yr 1 + 2.33 add'l) years it is:
promo MJ+ and eat $70 = $45+$70+2.33*$30 = $188 or $56/yr
versus
full price MJ+ and apply $70 = $80+$70 = $150 or $45/yr
Breakeven is finding someone to buy my MJ and service for $36.

For someone who doesn't have a need to keep their original MJ and doesn't want the hassle of finding someone to buy it and transfer then the ability to apply prepaid yrs of service is MUCH better.

But, this example really shows why it is MUCH MUCH better for Dan and his cronies to employ the policy they have chosen. They get to pocket the prepaid fees AND get the new $30 revenue stream every future year, much of that prepaid being for service that may get little if any future use.

All that said, I would buy the $34.95 (really $45) MJ+. I am one of the lucky ones with nearly no time remaining on my original MJ so I don't have to worry about eating any prepaid time or considering that in my decision to get the MJ+.
toyfountain
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By calculating the out of pocket money you are expecting them to credit the cost of the old hardware. Also no company can be expected to give out free shipping because you chose to get a new piece of hardware. Some estore do give out free shipping, but at half the regular price for a new market item with a low profit margin this is extremely rare. You can not expect to recoup the cost of the hardware or shipping unless you sell the original item.

Fact is, the offer is for $34.95 less than the regular price. That covers the service you bought for 1.75 years if you bought it at $100. Did anyone really buy it at $100 for five years when it was $20/year? I'm not even sure it was at that price. The lower cost covers 2.5 years if you got it at $70. If you have more time than this remaining on your renewals, then you will eat a loss. The maximum loss is $35 if you had just renewed for five years.

The newer MJ+ service is now at $29.95/year. Again it's magicjack prerogative to chose at which price it will provide the service. They probably looked at the competition and saw people are happy to shell out $30 for Nettalk's Duo service. Who's to say the MJ service will not raise to the same price after the remaining stocks of MJ in stores everywhere are all sold? I wouldn't be surprised if next year you'll see the service go from $20 to $30 per year for the MJ. That would incite a lot of people to finally upgrade their MJ to the MJ+.

If one is tempted, they could also buy 5 years of MJ+ service for $20/year for $100 ..........again for some. I know I personally stay away from long term deals on internet purchases.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner takes it up his gunner! LMAO
Paul777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow this link for a great way to get Simulring if you have old MJ and new MJ+. Old minutes not lost !

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/can-both-mj-mj-devices-be-registered-to-the-same-account-t11534.html
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The newer MJ+ service is now at $29.95/year. Again it's magicjack prerogative to chose at which price it will provide the service. They probably looked at the competition and saw people are happy to shell out $30 for Nettalk's Duo service. Who's to say the MJ service will not raise to the same price after the remaining stocks of MJ in stores everywhere are all sold? I wouldn't be surprised if next year you'll see the service go from $20 to $30 per year for the MJ. That would incite a lot of people to finally upgrade their MJ to the MJ+.

The reason why people used to be happy to shell out 29.95 because Nettalk provided significantly better service. Now, with Nettalks sudden change of terms, things look different. BTW, since MJ charges on the top of the 29.95 a nonexistent 4.8% " regulatory fee", the real price is $ 31.39 which seems to slipped the mind of all forum participants, showing how a simple trick can work miracles.
I suggested many months ago that MJ may rise the costs of " classic" once all old units are sold. However, that may incite a lot of people to drop MJ rather than to upgrade to MJ+
Pablo123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer netTALK over MJ, at least nettalk doesn't block phone numbers like MJ does and nettalk has way better support then MJ, I can talk to a live person with nettalk.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the email:

I am offering my newest invention, the magicJack PLUS, to our existing customers first. I wanted to make sure my loyal customers could be rewarded and be first in line. No doubt, most of you will want the option to continue using the magicJack as you have (with a computer), or now just plug into the wall and internet (without the computer) - it's your choice and so easy to use as always. The new magicJack PLUS is the same size as the old one, and it is basically a computer/system on a chip. Our chip developer Dr. YW Sing really outdid himself this time.

The magicJack PLUS will be in Radio Shack first followed by Walmart for $69.95. It will contain everything you need and the first year of service will be free. You will be able to use the same number you had before or you can even port a number to the new magicJack PLUS. You will not be able to transfer your old plan to the new magicJack PLUS. That is just one reason why we are offering a 48 hour special to buy the magicJack PLUS at half price. The price right now is $34.95. This price will not last and I wanted to make sure you knew that. This price is less than what we sell it to retailers for. This is not a gimmick, it is truly my way of saying Thank You for being a loyal customer. To make sure you continue to Love my company and always be totally satisfied with us, you will have a FREE 30 day trial period. The offer is on a first come first served basis. We have sold over 7 million magicJacks and we only have 200,000 new magicJack PLUS to offer! . After that, you will have to wait about 60 days more to get yours.

The reviews for the magicJack PLUS by bloggers and reporters have been so positive. It makes me very proud for them to rave about the call quality and ease of use.

Thanks for being a great customer.

Dan Borislow
CEO magicJack, Inventor and Founder

This Half Price Offer is ONLY available by clicking the links in this email or the button below
- it is not available anywhere else.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received my email for the 1/2 price offer. Never did see it on my soft-phone, but at least I can feel special again for 48 hours. Well I just opened the email but it was sent last night, so I guess I only have about 30 hours of special feelings left. Although I'm betting the 48 hours is not a real strict time limit. I will find out.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got both the email and the banner ad but I just cant see investing more money in this company after buying the 5 year plan and having 3 years left.

Magicjack became useless to me when they started blocking ata and the tech boys here did not release a new work around or one that I am aware of.

Dan really needs to allow some sort of transfer of years.

If GV starts charging I might reconsider but then the deal will be over so Id probably do nettalk.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now GV will still be free in 2012....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fire_Witch
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Although I'm betting the 48 hours is not a real strict time limit. I will find out.

I know that!!! The 48 Hr. deal showed up on my softphone 10 days ago......IT'S STILL THERE! And I made my purchase on the 2nd day (wanted that deal). And no problems w/ purchase, it went smooth.
But, anyway...... all is well. I received the PLUS in 4 days, w/o paying any rush fees (from Florida to Texas).
I had No problems at all. Set up was easy and done in minutes. (But I went w/ a new #, no porting). I decided to keep my original MJ as is and fwrd it to the new PLUS. So I have about 10 months left to decide if I keep it, or just go w/ the PLUS.
Just had to wait for the telephone unit I bought to arrive to use it w/o PC. No problem w/ that either. hooked it up, presto!!! dial tone.

I may keep both. I have no problem paying 19 and 29 to have 2 different #'s. I don't have a landline, gave that up a couple of yrs ago. When I look at my roommate paying $300 a mth phone bill...now that is stupid!
Evil or Very Mad MY ONLY COMPLAINT.... I could not get area code 666 dang it. Twisted Evil
I only buy 1 yr at a time, life is short. ( I doubt I will be alive in 5 yrs, I have progressive MS and a bonus brain tumor ) So why sweat the small stuff.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

666 huh Smile
Why not tell them the REST of the numbers you wanted... hehehehe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Llamaman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the 1/2 price deal in my email and bought the MJ+ with a virtual account number that's set to expire in Jan 2012. (I don't like giving MJ my real credit card info since they seem a tad shady in that department).

I'm hoping that with the purchase, I can leave my old MJ going for a few months and then activate the new MJ+ for an additional year using my original number. Let's say, March or April of next year. It seems to be possible since I haven't noticed any time limit to activate it after purchase and I still have some time left on my old MJ. I know I can assign my old number to the MJ+, but I'm not sure if I'll get the full year of service if I delay activation.

I wonder if I'm wrong in assuming that I can get away with doing this?

edit - I see that "alcheringa" has the same idea http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack74806.html#74806
lymon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former customers get the offer too. And, yup, I fell for it. Another phone number for less than $50, why not? Smile
justavet
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: What a joke - misleading and outright false promises Reply with quote

I have had the original mj for a little over a year. I received the "special offer only available for a limited number of units." First, I doubt that is anywhere near the truth. I just might have the US Attorney look at that marketing ploy. One of the things that I thought was good was that even though I would be losing about 6 months of service, I could keep my same mj number. NO WHERE DOES IT TELL YOU THAT IT WILL COST AN ADDITIONAL 19.95 TO DO THAT! I could understand that if it was another company or a land line, but this is there own company trying to get people to pay more for the same service (29.95 a year vs 19.95 a year).

I ordered this unit on 12/5 and received it today, 12/12 (I didn't opt for their "expedited shipping" and low and behold they shipped it two days later instead of the 2-3 weeks they said it would take to get it sent out). So they are lying again. I connected to their chat today and learned of the additional charge and wanted to know how to return it. I went to the site to get the RMA # and it said in order for a refund, it would have to be received by 12/26. That is 3 weeks, not 30 days as they say in their advertising. (chalk up another lie).

By the way, if you get it in the mail, be very careful how you open it. The UPC is part of the mailing label and if it is not intact, you can't return it. Just adds to the overall sleaziness of the company.

Well, I have had it with this company. This is about principles...which magic jack evidently has none.
toyfountain
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyfountain wrote:
(cut)

(cut)

It looks like MJ is will be doing just that beginning January 20, 2012 for the regular MJ.

New rates increases for MJ
1yr 19.95 increasing to 29.95
5yrs 69.95 increasing to 99.75

Why would anyone still buy the MJ versus the MJ+ since the yearly cost will be the same?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real good reason to load up years now on the old MJ at the $19.95 year rate. your never going to see service rates that low ever again.

I'm now glad I took the 5 and 6 year subscriptions in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: