magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

inbound call issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl669
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: inbound call issue Reply with quote

this one is weird (at least to me).

i don't get a dial tone, but outbound calls work just fine.

for inbound calls, when i pick up, i sometimes hear a short screeching sound and then the call disconnects after a second.

i've tried plugging the MJ into my router and also into my computer with the same results. i also tried putting the MJ into the DMZ with no luck.

i've gone through the scripted support with no luck. i moved a couple weeks ago and setup at my new location. everything has been working fine for the last 2 weeks. problem just started happening last night. i hadn't made any changes to my network when the problem started.

any thoughts?

update: plugged it back into the computer and toggled it over to headset/mic instead of phone and it appear to work. so, it's only when i use the phone the issue occurs. i've tried different handsets in case the initial one was messed up.
BarbaraH-0197
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Blocked incoming calls: possible cause Reply with quote

MagicJack unit worked just fine making outgoing calls. But incoming calls got a slight click and dead line. After Tech support help and trial and error I stumbled upon cause and solution!!

With the unit connected directly to 1 phone, calls rang and came in just fine. But with the unit connected to a jack to feed the 'system' calls were blocked.

The previous owner of my house had phone jacks in EVERY room. I had extensions on 6 of them.

So I disconnected the extensions I had and reconnected them 1 by 1. All was fine until I reconnected the last one (#6). These were traditional phones that are powered by the phone line (many feet of it), not an AC adapter.

The problem was the MagicJack does not provide enough power to feed all the phones I had been using!

Left 1 disconnected and the others work just fine!!! The answering machine on one of them works also!!!
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have multiple handsets and not have the problem you experienced, get a wireless system. I use a Panasonic unit and it works well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: