magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incoming Voice Quality Choppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmalone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Incoming Voice Quality Choppy Reply with quote

The incoming voice quality is very choppy/jittery. A restart of the MJ software temporarily resolves it. But very shortly after it is back. The soft phone seem to work fine. I do not believe it is the phone itself because I have tried it on 2 others with the same problem.
Any thoughts?
jebise
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i think it because MJ ios not getting enough power. Are you using the usb wire that it came with? is so try plugging it in directly into the computer and making a call. This was the issue for me i just used a more thicker usb cable and now MJ voice quality is like my homephone.
Freephone132
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue and I'm not using the USB extension cable. I'm thinking about trying a powered USB port but I want to make sure it will work before I buy one.
mattg3
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem happens to me when my internet connection drops in speed since im on a shared wireless connection.When the speed is fast in the mornings magicjack works fine
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg3 wrote:
This problem happens to me when my internet connection drops in speed since im on a shared wireless connection.When the speed is fast in the mornings magicjack works fine

Might be your wireless but more than likely, its MJ's over subscribed servers.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Voice Quality Choppy Reply with quote

bmalone wrote:
The incoming voice quality is very choppy/jittery. A restart of the MJ software temporarily resolves it. But very shortly after it is back. The soft phone seem to work fine. I do not believe it is the phone itself because I have tried it on 2 others with the same problem.
Any thoughts?

Have you tried changing your Windows performance characteristics? That is, use PRIO to change the magicJack process priority to higher than normal? Also, search this forum for additional threads on this very same problem for other suggestions.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Voice Quality Choppy Reply with quote

hsweiss wrote:
Also, search this forum for additional threads on this very same problem for other suggestions.

There's a gigantic write-up on "choppy, garbled voice" on the wiki FAQ.

That might be more staightforward than wading through forum discussions.

Mark
yechi7
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a powered USB hub, increasing the priority to high & lots of other fixes, but nothing worked. Finally, I saw a link which tested for "packet loss" & it was 50-65%. No wonder I was losing every other word.

I bypassed my router & hooked straight into the cable modem & ran the packet loss test again - 0% packet loss. I went & bought a new router about which I had seen great reviews - D-Link DIR 655 - & ran the packet loss test again - 0% packet loss. Problem solved! No more choppy voice!
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yechi7 wrote:
I tried a powered USB hub, increasing the priority to high & lots of other fixes, but nothing worked. Finally, I saw a link which tested for "packet loss" & it was 50-65%. No wonder I was losing every other word.

I bypassed my router & hooked straight into the cable modem & ran the packet loss test again - 0% packet loss. I went & bought a new router about which I had seen great reviews - D-Link DIR 655 - & ran the packet loss test again - 0% packet loss. Problem solved! No more choppy voice!

For the record, what was your old (crappy) router?
yechi7
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it wasn't that old or that crappy. It was excellent - until I tried to do voip - then its deficiencies became apparent. It was a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router F5D8230-4. When I bought it, not that long ago, it was the top of the line.
CheapBastard
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless=interference= choppy audio.
yechi7
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheapBastard wrote:
wireless=interference= choppy audio.

Just to clarify: Even though I was using a wireless router, my PC was wired in & I still had the packet loss & choppy sound until I switched routers.
lawoman1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

Ok I see alot of folks having issues with "choppy" & "gargled" calls...so what do we REALLY do? I read (or tried to)...MagicJack/Support Resources/How-To/Proxy Find2...and I am sooo lost... Confused . Will someone please help me understand the best way to make this thing work for ME...I would be eternally grateful Wink
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is go to the mj wiki. There you will find instructions and recommendations to help get MJ up and running. Start off with downloading and running wireshark when you make a call to see what proxy server you connect to. From there block that server using the directions in the wiki. My mj is set for the Atlanta server no matter what I tried the calls were always choppy until I blocked this server. Also search in the forums here you may have to go back a few month's but there are some great threads on getting mj up to it's peak performance.
lawoman1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: thanks for reponding... Reply with quote

sabresfan...thanks for your response, however you do know that not all of us know what the heck this stuff is right? Confused ...It can be a foreign language to alot of us.

To all of you experts out there, I would really appreciate your helpful input, my livelyhood is depending on getting this thing up and running. So in the best possible way for a lay person to understand, SOMEBODY PLEASE HALP!...LOL
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read the other day that if you chat with MJ support they can change the server you are on.
It is worth a try anyway..

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for reponding... Reply with quote

lawoman1962 wrote:
sabresfan...thanks for your response, however you do know that not all of us know what the heck this stuff is right? Confused ...It can be a foreign language to alot of us.

To all of you experts out there, I would really appreciate your helpful input, my livelyhood is depending on getting this thing up and running. So in the best possible way for a lay person to understand, SOMEBODY PLEASE HALP!...LOL

Welcome to the forum lawoman1962! Admittedly, I have only been here a couple of months. I was able to get a really good setup by taking the advise given to me - use SEARCH. The side benefit is that one gets familiar with the jargon, VoIP principles and hardward need to get what you want. If I told you what to do, you may not understand and then more confusion will set in.

Not be difficult, sebrestfan gave you the FASTEST way to understand the device that you say you must depend upon. Okay, I will tell the secret .... for you, with your admitted level of knowledge, get a Thin Client, powered hub and Hawking Booster.

SEARCHing will give you the reasons.

Cheers,
lawoman1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

bitstopjoe...I did contact MJ support and they helped some ...but am still looking into it. Thanks for the response!
lawoman1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

Popgory...thank you for the welcome!

Well, I took into consideration what you advised and here is what I found...

Thin Client: $199.00
Powered Hub: $9.95
Hawking Booster: $82.99 ($49.00 for refurb)
Magic Jack $39.99
----------
Total $331.93 + tax

so how did this Magic Jack become the "bargain" I sought to begin with?..hmmm I think AT&T is a better choice if I go this route. I may not know IT, but I do know money Wink

Thanks for your reply darlin'

I will still be SEARCHing for the man with the answers...LOL
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

lawoman1962 wrote:
Popgory...thank you for the welcome!

Well, I took into consideration what you advised and here is what I found...

so how did this Magic Jack become the "bargain"
Thanks for your reply darlin'

I will still be SEARCHing for the man with the answers...LOL

Here are some more answers ....

Here is what I spent

Thin Client: $79.00 (eBay)
Powered Hub: $29.95 (don't go cheap here)
Hawking Booster: $25.99 (new)
Magic Jack $39.99 (Radio Shack)
----------
Total $175 + tax

Balanced against Ma Bell at $45 a month --> 4 mths to breakeven. One more month to go then it is extra $$ to take the Mrs out.

If I had more patience, I could have found a less expensive TC but I learned from searching that you want a minimum of the Wyse 9450 or the HP5720. Earlier models require more tinkering.

Now, if you just want to use the doogle on your 'puter, you do not need a TC or hub. But for me, I have switched the whole house over to mJ.

Also, I have put the Gateway, Router and TC on a UPS so I have service in the event of a power failure.

Opps, forgot to mention to set the process priority to High or Realtime.

Cheers
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawoman1962

I'm far from an expert but have garnered a bit of MJ knowledge fighting the battle. I know how frustrating it is when someone trying to help forgets when they didn't know all about it.

For starters: what is your equipment and configuration? Desktop, laptop, wired, wireless, cable, DSL. Outside of MJ, how comfortable with how things happen on your computer? Turn it on and just use it or some expertise beyond that?

If you can answer the above questions it will help us, help you.

According to Dan's (Mr MagicJack) advertising there have been thousands of MagicJacks sold. This is undoubtedly the premier web site dealing with MJ issues. Given that when I just checked the members list there were less than 2700 members, one might conclude that there are a lot of folks that don't have issues or had issues and couldn't/wouldn't find the site, or gave up and wrote off the $40. As I'm sure you realize, most people that are satisfied wiith a product don't take the time to express their satisfaction on a site such as this. Having said all this, it's clear that you have a problelm and are looking for understandable assistance.

"You can do it, we can help." (Home Depot)

OTC

PS Don't let the post count fool you; much of it was asking for help.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet here is what I spent. $39.00 shipped from QVC in Aug 2008. Plugged it in and it has worked perfectly ever since. EXCEPT after the June 9th update and the infamous beeps ( which are gone now).
I kept my PC on when I was home anyway so not a biggie..
Now I have naked DSL and my MJ has saved mucho $ and I could not be happier ( well if I wasnt living alone I could be happier but that's another topic Smile

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lawoman1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

OTC...thanks for that acknowledgement Wink

I have a Gateway desktop about 6 years old, running windows XP. I have Cricket wireless internet service. This is what I have...it could be better, but better is NOT an option today for I am in a start-up company for myself (after being laid off in March).

I am a PC user, not a Tech. So support is what I need. Finding this site was easy because I know how to find resources...that's where you all come in...lol I am not giving up hope! Smile
lawoman1962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

bitstopjoe...

So it IS possible...yay

As for the living alone part I hear ya...perhaps I need a live in Tech...ha
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wireless is most likey to blame for the choppy sound kiddo.
If there is ANY way to try your access wired directly it would be worth a try and see.
That's exactly what I am a PC tech guy. Been on the net since 1992 and online in some form since 1983 ( 300 baud modem and BBS's). Built my first PC in 1989. I help a lot of people online and via phone ( I never charge friends, neighbors or family) Even though I can use the $ I don't change a lot of people for help. So many are in worse shape than me and I just can't bring myself to charge them.
If you need to talk to me for help send me a PM and I will be glad to give you my MJ#.

Joe Sica
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the call lawoman.. I am glad I was able to be of help AND enjoy the conversation at the same time.

Joe Sica
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe,

Apparently you were able to help. Can you share your fix so we can all learn more?

Thankx

OTC
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...300 baud modem...

That is funny. I remember those modems. Download was300, upload I guess 25. My computer had 40 kb RAM and mini tapes. Laughing
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was using a wireless internet service, Cricket. All I had her do was forward her MJ to her cell phone, for now. It was a quick fix until she gets cable or DSL internet.
I didnt bother to post it here since it was as I said just a quick fix for her.

Joe Sica
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitstopjoe,

Thanks for the info.

OTC
grold
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: fix for choppy sound pause carbonite...seems to help Reply with quote

that callback number is cool thanks.

carbonite is my constant backup data program.
canoner1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am NOT hearing ANY voice on incoming calls.

I am not using USB extension. I am using LAN. My internet connection is 10/2 so should be fast enough. This is my third year using MJ and lately it just sucks.
para
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Incoming Voice Quality Choppy Reply with quote

bmalone wrote:
Any thoughts?

on the top left corner on an updated version of magicjack, there should be an option to switch from Normal (DSL, Cable, Wi-fi, etc.) to Air Card 3G (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.).

Switching from Normal to Air Card 3G completely solved my problem. Sound quality is great now.
commando penguin
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had choppy calls when using MJ on my celeron laptop. but now that its' on my desktop i have no problems. alot has to do with internet connection, speed, and your processor as well. if you have alot of stuff going on in the background while your on the phone, it can cause a choppy call.
jetpilot2005
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time the quality was good for me. Then not too long ago it started beeping then everyone on the forum bi--ced and MJ must of heard, no more beeps.. LOL Just when I thought that the thing was running good it's choppy. Now this has just started for me since the last update. It is bad!

Question -- when you use a thin client and all that other stuff that has been talked about in this thread --- is that in place of a computer? Is that the permanent fix for this thing? I like the MJ but I am getting tired of messing with it lately.

thanks for any help!
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetpilot2005 wrote:
For a long time the quality was good for me ... Question -- when you use a thin client and all that other stuff that has been talked about in this thread --- is that in place of a computer? Is that the permanent fix for this thing? I like the MJ but I am getting tired of messing with it lately.

thanks for any help!

Hi Jetpilot2005, YES thin client computer in place of desktop or laptop computer.

My 1st two weeks had mJ on a P-III 900Mhz laptop, voice quality was good but distant phones did not ring.

Then switched over to a 550Hhz TC (thin client) and powered hub. I needed to tweak the router QoS settings and ultimately achieved near POTS quality.

The laptop was drawing some 48 watts and the TC is drawing 11 watts.
The laptop emitted noise and the TC is completely silent.

Is it a permanent FIX? Hmmm, as I understand it, an ATA is the permanent fix for voice quality. However, as you may have read in numerous threads, the ATAs experienced an assault. It took a bit of work to enable them again.

I will continue to use my TC as it uses mJ as it was designed to be used. Also, I am not savy enough to set up an ATA, at least not yet.

Hope this helps
degarb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there is no forum definition of choppy.

I have experienced occasional garble (cpu or isp related), garble or choppy (usually isp, but also rogue aps.), and like other person talking into fan. The fact that the person can restart MJ means, and can only mean that fault is squarely on software of the dongle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand all the reference to wiki's and recomendations to spend hundreds of dollars ( ever heard of OOma?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: