magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is MagicJack now no longer able to be used on wireless?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swampwiz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Is MagicJack now no longer able to be used on wireless? Reply with quote

After a few months of "teething pains" back in 2008, I have had no problems up until January 2013, when I started getting Error 3. At the time I was using a direct internet connect (i.e., modem cable into the computer receptacle.) Then all of a sudden, I started getting this Error.

At that time I was forced to use Hotspot (which I really don't want since they are spammy), because evidently now, MagicJack requires Hotspot.

For a few months, I wasn't able to use my MagicJack as I did not have a good internet connection, but I do now - but now, I'm told that the wireless router for my connection has a firewall not allowing MagicJack (it's a hotel - and I'm sure they can't do anything about it.) I will only be here a few more days, but I will be going to another situation with a wireless router (which I would have some pull with, with respect to the firewall - up to a point), but I am wondering that if I am not allowed access to the router to login, that I will not be able to use MagicJack.

It seems quite cr0ppy to me that MagicJack can be stopped by a firewall - I woner if other VOIP systems have the same problem.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's a hotel - and I'm sure they can't do anything about it." Not.

It's a hotel - and they are doing what they feel they need to. Either this hotel has internet service with limited bandwidth and feel the need to block streaming services, which VoIP is when engaged in a phone call, or they perceive a significant amount of lost revenue due to people not using their in-house telephone service.

You don't mention what part of the world you are in nor the size and stature of the hotel, so everything I say is conjecture. Assuming that you are in a civilized part of the world where cellular service is reliable, my guess would be that the hotel is trying to distribute their limited internet bandwidth as fairly as possible.
swampwiz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hostel, geared for kids, so certain adult sites get blocked. I am only here temporarily, and otherwise, I like it. I've got 50 kg of stuff with me, so I don't feel like lugging my stuff around to another hostel that might kick me out again because someone would have reserved a place. I don't want to reserve anything as I want to leave as soon as I get an apartment.

The country is Russia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: