magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It is all about audio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did all the reg edit stuff with the MJ support people and the new one still won't work. It still says to plug into the usb. The old one works fine but has bad audio so I can't see why the new one won't work.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the new one is bad? Have you tried it in another computer - e.g., a fresh install on a different box? Wouldn't it be nice if MJ had a diagnostic to test the dongle without putting us and their tech chat thru hours of do this, do that?
murphy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
I did all the reg edit stuff with the MJ support people and the new one still won't work. It still says to plug into the usb. The old one works fine but has bad audio so I can't see why the new one won't work.

Do these two units have different phone numbers? If the new one was a replacement for the old one and the old one still works, then what number is associated with the new one. I would not expect two MJ to work with the same number.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said, I've been through 5 different tech support people now ans done a complete re-install of the MJ files. They have always asked me my phone number and they have all said it's ready to go. But it's not. I have no idea whats blocking it. I've shut down the AV and firewall and have no idea whats keeping it from loading.
krieg
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: dukaDIAL Reply with quote

I have been reading about all the problems of MJ, and have had a few myself. The main reason I purchased MJ was for the cheap long distance calls, BUT, I have found something MUCH better, thanks to a poster on these boards. It's called "dukadial", and it is FREE. Call quality blows MJ right out of the water, and it's FREE, not just cheap like the MJ service. Soooo, while we are waiting for this company to get it's $#!t together, I can still keep in touch with friends and family all over the country. Very Happy Cool
rodak
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember I said I'd finally gotten my MJ to route me through the nearby Atlanta proxy? Well, that blasted thing is determined to route my calls through Chicage! They have CHANGED the address of the Chicago proxy! I found this in my Tomato QoS Details display today:

proxy1.chicago.talk4free.com (216.234.69.Cool 5070 Highest

This address is NOT in pageman's list of proxies! I think the Chicago proxy used to be 216.234.70.8.

That may explain my poor call quality the weekend after I made the change.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodak wrote:
This address is NOT in pageman's list of proxies!

MJ will always change things. I don't think any list will ever be completely accurate. I put "Pagemen's" instructions into the wiki (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/FAQ#How_do_I_find.2Fchange_my_proxy.3F). It explains how to get the current list of proxies.

However, it seems like MagicJack is changing things. Last week some IP addresses could not be resolved through nslookup. And, vms servers didn't have the hostname "vms1.{city}.talk4free.com".

So, we may have to maintain a list on a regular basis. I started one on the wiki (proxy find how-to).

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'That may explain my poor call quality the weekend after I made the change." Sure hope it's not a of things to comefor ya. The first year I had MJ I loved it-it worked great after I got it set up right and added the Hawking Broadband booster.The second year was good but startd to have trouble I think. It seems like it's been about a year.
rodak
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're right about it changing - I can see them adding new proxies or removing some from time to time, but I didn't know they'd actually change the IP address of an existing proxy. I mean, what possible reason could they have for doing that, except to thwart the efforts of folks like us to improve our call quality by choosing a better proxy? (I know, I know, they probably have some strange *good* reason for doing so, but it sure feels like I'm forced to go through that blasted Chicago proxy no matter what I do!)
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried it all and even did a complete XP reinstall. This has all been a real test on my blood prssure, which is normally high but I take meds for it, but lately it's been probably through the roof as my frustration levels have gone ballistuic. I have been trying to get the new one to install-Yeterday it finally did but I find out I have to have a new number for the new dongle. Which is bs-they can transfer the number to the new one but now thats the big problem. So I had to go back to using my old one becaus they don't have a new number in my area cose!!!There goes my BP!

So they tewll me it will be another 10 bucks to switch numbers. I say just give me my old number-switch it from the old dongle to the new one-simple right? No-They said when registered the new one it automatically gave me a new number even though I never asked for one! Itold Dan this is a design flaw in the reg window-there should be an escape to back out that window in the event of an error or changed mind. There is none-your stuck with the number and now Rikard's trying to get the engineeres to switch it for me.I have to go with Ooma-My BP can't take this anymore. Between the sketchy calls and sketchy support, this is having a negative effect on my health and could cause me to go back to drinking! lol-just kidding on that part but it is bad for the heart to put so much pressure on it and this outfit does just that.
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lady friend that I would love to talk to but she hates my phone and I can't blame her. So, in the name of love, and hopefully sex, I got to get a new system that she likes. Or I never get it! I'm trying to introduce her to my dongle but the phones not doin it's part! lol
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodak wrote:
what possible reason could they have for doing that, except to thwart the efforts of folks like us to improve our call quality by choosing a better proxy? (I know, I know, they probably have some strange *good* reason for doing so, but it sure feels like I'm forced to go through that blasted Chicago proxy no matter what I do!)

A couple things give me the impression they're trying to make it harder for customers to change the proxy. But, I think it's common to use a new IP address when replacing a server. I get the impression they're doing some work like that.

I've seen some things that look like Dan's trying to make it difficult for us to change our proxy. But, it could just be hardware changes. Time will tell.

It's dumb to try and stop it because he can't. It will only generate more negative commentary. But, anyone will still be able to change their proxy just by blocking the IP address they currently connect to, reconnect, and block the next IP address they connect to. And so forth.

What's funny about this is that it appears Dan changed from hostnames to IP addresses a few months ago to prevent customers changing the server they connect to (using their hosts file). Now we have to make servers inaccessible, which really can break things. If Dan would have left things alone, we could have used the hosts file which doesn't break anything.

Mark
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodak wrote:
Well, that blasted thing is determined to route my calls through Chicage! They have CHANGED the address of the Chicago proxy! I found this in my Tomato QoS Details display today:

proxy1.chicago.talk4free.com ( 216.234.69.8 ) 5070 Highest

I restarted my softphone and checked the list of available proxy servers (as described in the wiki how-to). It still has the old (71.5.91.70) Chicago address. This address is not even pingable.

So, if I went through blocking addresses to change proxies, when I got to the 20th server, it wouldn't be able to connect.

That's useful to know. Some people have reported that they couldn't connect to a proxy server after blocking their default proxy. It could be that the list of proxies supplied by MJ to the softphone contains inaccurate info. In that case, all I person can do is block that address and move on until they connect to something.

Mark
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Server quality (Jan 31) Reply with quote

I went through a bunch of proxies tonight. The results weren't very good (see below). I found a couple things that were odd:

1. There was considerable variation on a single server. My first call might be clear. The next 4-5 calls would be extremely choppy. Or, 3-4 calls were clear, and one call extremely choppy.

My descriptions below describe the majority of calls on a server.

2. I think the chop is due to MJ's echo cancellation or their low-volume squelch (those two may be one in the same). I've found certain words are more susceptible to fading and chopping. For example:

... 2a. When I say "mathematical" (pronounced quickly, but deliberately enunciating the syllables, "math - ah - mat - ah - cal" it cuts out the "cal."

... 2b. When I count from 1 to 10, it frequently cuts out the "six." I can repeat "five six" a few times and the "six" will drop (or *fade*) out.

Even if speaking random words doesn't revel much chop, those words are likely to be chopped. There were only a couple of calls where it handled those words.

====>>>> servers

Phoenix - moderate chop.

San Fran. - moderate chop.

Tampa - moderate chop.

Houston - moderate chop

Sacramento - good

Minneapolis - good

Cleveland - good

Las Vegas - moderate chop

Miami - moderate chop

Atlanta - Choppy

Seattle - Good

Washington - Choppy

New York - Choppy

Salt Lake City - Choppy

San Diego - Choppy
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio choppy and garbled today.I have a phone with LA area code.

Audio was good the past few days and its started to act up again.
With the setup being the same its got to be problems at their end.

Anyone else having problems with 323 area code ?
rodak
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 323, but I made a call today from the 678 area code to a 770 number (both near Atlanta), through the Atlanta proxy, and the choppiness was about the worst I've heard yet.

Boy, I sure hope MJ gets their act together soon.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better fot last TWO days...Area code 3232 lets see how long this lasts...
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to stuttering audio.With my setup being exactly the same MJ is at it again.Anyone else having stuttering problems since friday 13th Feb .
duncanSF
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Max Headroom Reply with quote

"I ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-ca-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?-lo?"

Useless for voice calls. MagicJack works fine as a voicemail service and I can set it up through Skype.
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth---I have been using both MJ & ooma for the last 10 days. I just bought ooma and I wanted to compare the MJ and ooma side by side.
MJ continues to have echoes, choppy audio and an occasional dropped calls.
ooma is like Ma Bell, you pick up the phone and make a call and it works perfectly. The same when the phone rings, you answer it and there are no issuses with the quality of the audio.
Do like that ooma has name & number caller ID.
I was going to test both for 30 days, but if I continue to get similar results over the nexxt few days I will be an exclusive ooma user.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gators5 wrote:
MJ continues to have echoes, choppy audio and an occasional dropped calls.

I've noticed the same thing comparing MJ to *anything*. A person doesn't need to drink the Ooma Kool-Aid to find better voice quality than MJ.

Mark
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool aide is not being served, it is just one man's experience comparing MJ with ooma.
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooma doubters, youmay want to read this...
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/voip/ooma-the-fcc-backed-phone-company.html
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gators5 wrote:
ooma doubters, youmay want to read this...
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/voip/ooma-the-fcc-backed-phone-company.html

Now you're crossposting Ooma literature? From my response to your other post:

This called the writer's integrity into question:

Quote:
The company agreed and changed the way their devices work - now using a new network they have developed. There are no longer security issues I was told during a dinner meeting with CMO Rich Buchanan and VP Corporate Marketing Tami Bhaumik.

Ooma told everyone (repeatedly, for over a year) there was no security issue when they were terminating calls using customers' landlines. They tell this author the same thing once, and he believes them?

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: