magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got my NT Duo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Just got my NT Duo Reply with quote

and as gashliquor said it kicks ass. My setup was a bit slower than his. I had trouble plugging in the wall wart. Once that was done, I waited for the ring and good to go. This is a direct connect to Dlink 615 router. No changes, no tweaks, nothing but success.

First call I made was to an Alaska weather recording that I used to use to check out MJ. As most everyone knows, MJ blocked calls to Alaska so that didn't work. First attempt got several rings but no connect. So I tried some of my other test numbers. Slicker than all get out. Tried the Alaska number again. Success!! Sounded better than MJ ever did, including using SIP info with ATA.

Next to try is buy some international minutes and call the kids in Germany. Have to wait until tomorrow for that.

NT Rocks!

OTC
kevin8629
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine Saturday and I like it as well. The only downside is that I had to choose a number out of my area, but hopefully one will open soon
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! Just got my NetTalk Duo today. It took 6 days from order date to delivery. I have it hooked up thru the router. Its a Belkin N+ Wireless F5D8235-4. So far so good. I only made a couple of test calls, and sound quality so far is good. I am using an older Panasonic 5.8Ghz model# KX-TGA560M. I am hearing a little hissing I guess you would call it in the background. I also notice there is a delay. I test called to one of my other MJ's here and while I was 2 rooms away talking to my son, I could hear him talk about 4 seconds sooner than I could hear it in the phone, but since normal calling won't be with it person in the other room, I will probably never would have known that. I am going to try a couple of other phones I have here at some point today to see if any of them are any better. One is another Panasonic Dect 6.0 model# KX-TGA101S another is an AT&T Dect 6.0 model# EL52209. I am still thinking about the V-tech phone that sabresfan suggested. My only concern with it, well two concerns, the exact model he suggested does not have an answering machine and I need that, but they do sell a model with it in, and two, from what reviews I read about it online, it does not display the Call Waiting Caller ID, and I need that too. I am not absolutely sure about that yet though. I need to someone who has this phone to confirm that. So if anyone could confirm that a V-tech Model# CS-6329-3 (this one has an answering machine in it and you get 3 handsets with it) or the V-tech model# CS-6319-2 (this one has no answering machine and you get 2 handsets with it) does or does not display Call Waiting Caller ID, I sure would appreciate it . I think sabresfan said he has the V-tech model# CS-6319-2 along with oldtimercurt. I will post back my test results on the other phones I have here running with the NT Duo. Wink
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
YAY! Just got my NetTalk Duo today. It took 6 days from order date to delivery. I have it hooked up thru the router. Its a Belkin N+ Wireless F5D8235-4. So far so good. I only made a couple of test calls, and sound quality so far is good. I am using an older Panasonic 5.8Ghz model# KX-TGA560M. I am hearing a little hissing I guess you would call it in the background. I also notice there is a delay. I test called to one of my other MJ's here and while I was 2 rooms away talking to my son, I could hear him talk about 4 seconds sooner than I could hear it in the phone, but since normal calling won't be with it person in the other room, I will probably never would have known that. I am going to try a couple of other phones I have here at some point today to see if any of them are any better. One is another Panasonic Dect 6.0 model# KX-TGA101S another is an AT&T Dect 6.0 model# EL52209. I am still thinking about the V-tech phone that sabresfan suggested. My only concern with it, well two concerns, the exact model he suggested does not have an answering machine and I need that, but they do sell a model with it in, and two, from what reviews I read about it online, it does not display the Call Waiting Caller ID, and I need that too. I am not absolutely sure about that yet though. I need to someone who has this phone to confirm that. So if anyone could confirm that a V-tech Model# CS-6329-3 (this one has an answering machine in it and you get 3 handsets with it) or the V-tech model# CS-6319-2 (this one has no answering machine and you get 2 handsets with it) does or does not display Call Waiting Caller ID, I sure would appreciate it . I think sabresfan said he has the V-tech model# CS-6319-2 along with oldtimercurt. I will post back my test results on the other phones I have here running with the NT Duo. Wink
Glad to see you got your Duo. The call waiting caller id works for me with all the vtech's I have.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
Glad to see you got your Duo. The call waiting caller id works for me with all the vtech's I have.

Wow, I am glad to hear that, because when I went on the Walmart site and started reading the reviews there, people were saying in the reviews that it did not display the caller ID of the second incoming call. I need that as well as the answering machine. I don't like relying solely on voicemail, because I often wonder if we all get all the messages on voicemail that are left...??? Rolling Eyes Now I just need to get one of the V-tech's and an HBB1 and I should be ready to rock -n- roll!!!! Wink

also does anyone here know how to enter a pause in the speed dial on the NT so it will dial an extension?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nugrl"][quote="sabresfan"]
Nugrl wrote:

also does anyone here know how to enter a pause in the speed dial on the NT so it will dial an extension?

Sadly, the speed dial is pretty worthless. I would stick with the phone book function on your phone(s).
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nobody beats the Whiz!"][quote="Nugrl"]
sabresfan wrote:
Nugrl wrote:

Sadly, the speed dial is pretty worthless. I would stick with the phone book function on your phone(s).

so what you are saying is that you can not enter a pause in the speed dial feature if you need to dial an extension after dialing the main number? I would use the phone for its features but I am still not sure which phone I am going to use with the NT Duo yet, so I don't know if all of the phones I have here right now are capable of speed dial. So with the phones I use with my two MJ's, I use the magicfeatures to handle the speed dialing for me, but with NT I have to rely either solely on it to do it for me or like you said my phones but not sure if they can?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all modern phones include a phone book function.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:

yes, but it is with the 1 button dialing feature? I just looked thru 2 of my phones menus and saw nothing in there that referred to speed dial, or should I say 1 button dialing, like you can do with magicfeatures, and god only knows where the manuals are that came with these phones to figure it out.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how to you turn the pages ... I need to get to "G" ...

Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:

But how do you turn the pages ... I need to get to "G" ...

Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugurl, on the Vtech phone when you set up your phonebook you can put pauses in you number. Maybe that solves your problem. You can call from the phonebook pretty easily. The directory key then the alpha key for the number you want. Scroll by repeating the letter. Since I only have one "G" (for Germany) entry it's really quick. Don't know if you can program the pause in the 10 speed dial numbers available.

Yes, the HISS is gone with the Vtech phone Very Happy Another Germany call and clear as a bell.

Received my Hawking today and waiting for my wife to get off her computer so I can hook that up.

Things are looking good.

OTC

Last edited by oldtimercurt on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
Nugurl, on the Vtech phone when you set up your phonebook you can put pauses in you number. Maybe that solves your problem. You can call from the phonebook pretty easily. The directory key then the alpha key for the number you want. Don't know if you can program the pause in the 10 speed dial numbers available.

Yes, the HISS is gone with the Vtech phone Very Happy Another Germany call and clear as a bell.

Received my Hawking today and waiting for my wife to get off her computer so I can hook that up.

Things are looking good.

OTC

Wow! thats good to hear! Wink I mean that literally! Wink Sounds like you are on your road to success!!! I still need to get a V-tech and the HBB1. I am still here juggling phones around for now to see which one I have here already works best with the NT Duo. As of right now I am not being so successful. Sad
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need someone to call with a good ear with different phones so they can tell you which one sounds best
Or call your cell VM and leave a message with each phone and see, uh hear, for yourself.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
You need someone to call with a good ear with different phones so they can tell you which one sounds best
Or call your cell VM and leave a message with each phone and see, uh hear, for yourself.

AMEN! Exclamation
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
Nugurl, on the Vtech phone when you set up your phonebook you can put pauses in you number. Maybe that solves your problem. You can call from the phonebook pretty easily. The directory key then the alpha key for the number you want. Scroll by repeating the letter. Since I only have one "G" (for Germany) entry it's really quick. Don't know if you can program the pause in the 10 speed dial numbers available.

Things are looking good.

OTC

@ OTC, When you get that Hawkins hooked up i assume or you better hook it up between the modem and the WAN/Internet port of the router and disable QoS inside the Router, However if you have a Cisco/Linksys you can have the upstream bandwidth enabled to auto in the Linksys and all is fine any other router i have no clue. After thats all said and set. Unplug modem, booster, linksys, NT then computer. Wait at least 30 secs. Then plug modem in and wait until it starts up fully or 30 secs, Then plug booster back in and wait until all green at least 2-3 mins, Then router, Then NT Duo. Turn on your puter and your all set it will pick up your max QoS from your bandwidth. Unless you have a power outage you really would not have to mess with it again. But i reset all once a month anyway. I think you read what i wrote about the firmware already.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I am further disappointed. I just placed another test call to my sister and used the AT&T Dect 6.0 and it too was cutting out, only this time I could hear it on my end too!!!! Mad what is the problem now? I don't know... Sad I only have one more phone here to try it with and thats the older Panasonic Dect 6.0
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
well I am further disappointed. I just placed another test call to my sister and used the AT&T Dect 6.0 and it too was cutting out, only this time I could hear it on my end too!!!! Mad what is the problem now? I don't know... Sad I only have one more phone here to try it with and thats the older Panasonic Dect 6.0

Cutting out? Sounds more like your internet connection than your phone..
Since your internet is what you have in common with MJ and NT Duo. You said you were having bad connections with your MJ too, so it may be your internet all along...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:

I doub't it is your phone, It can be your router. God knows what your settings are in there or if any QoS is involved etc and then your internet connection comes into play. Have no clue to what your D/L U/L is, But to me it does'nt sound phone related at all Confused
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gashliquor

My system didn't want to respond according to your directions. If there was nothing "loading" the modem, it would not get out of the test mode. Did I miss something. It's Terayon TJ 715. Provided by Cox. System seems to be working but no severe testing. The blue light is definitely on during a call.

OTC
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:

I doub't it is your phone, It can be your router. God knows what your settings are in there or if any QoS is involved etc and then your internet connection comes into play. Have no clue to what your D/L U/L is, But to me it does'nt sound phone related at all Confused

ok here are some speed and ping results. you tell me what you think. now mind you I have to kids here both online playing warcraft and doing god only knows what else right now.

Nugrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some new speed and ping tests. how about these results!!! Shocked

so now tell me, is my internet the problem? I still have 2 kids online at the same time playing warcraft, etc.

now wait, I just tested again, and take a look at this now! Shocked

look out gash, I'm in your neighborhood now buddy!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing so now tell me its my internet! Wink
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try hooking up your Duo to your modem and see if things improve. Unfortunately if this does not work then it is a probably a problem with your isp or a bad connection somewhere outside of your control. With speeds like that you should not have terrible sounding calls all the time unless there is a line problem or your isp's server is overloaded http://www.modemsite.com/56k/backbone.asp or not adequate.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Try hooking up your Duo to your modem and see if things improve. Unfortunately if this does not work then it is a probably a problem with your isp or a bad connection somewhere outside of your control. With speeds like that you should not have terrible sounding calls all the time unless there is a line problem or your isp's server is overloaded http://www.modemsite.com/56k/backbone.asp or not adequate.

well don't get too excited, I did though, but those are not my normal speeds. I don't know what the hell happened there. I keep getting those really high speeds for some reason. they must have opened the flood gates somewhere and sent all the bandwidth my way! Wink I wish!

so why do you think I should try hooking the duo to my computer? I thought it really does not run well that way.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not your computer directly to your modem. Try bypassing your router and everything else connected and see if your call quality improves. It's a trouble shooting step to see if the problem is with your router or somewhere else.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Not your computer directly to your modem. Try bypassing your router and everything else connected and see if your call quality improves. It's a trouble shooting step to see if the problem is with your router or somewhere else.

well I would do it right now, but my two kids are still on here playing warcraft and they would have a fit if I disconnected them right now. but don't stop, keep thinking what else I can try also, because I will definitely try that, I want to know if it is my router or not. I have been wondering that myself for a while now. maybe the router is just a piece of sh!t. On my last test call with my last phone to try, the panasonic dect 6.0, it was going good at first then it too started doing stuff. My sister said I was sounding like I had a alien sounding voice.

Last edited by Nugrl on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
sabresfan wrote:

well I would do it right now, but my two kids are still on here playing warcraft and they would have a fit if I disconnected them right now. but don't stop, keep thinking what else I can try also, because I will definitely try that, I want to know if it is my router or not. I have been wondering that myself for a while now. maybe the router is just a piece of sh!t.
I can sympathize my two are always playing something. Taking them camping is almost like torture. Ok I'm starting to sound like some people I thought were old not to long ago.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
sabresfan wrote:

well I would do it right now, but my two kids are still on here playing warcraft and they would have a fit if I disconnected them right now. but don't stop, keep thinking what else I can try also, because I will definitely try that, I want to know if it is my router or not. I have been wondering that myself for a while now. maybe the router is just a piece of sh!t.
I can sympathize my two are always playing something. Taking them camping is almost like torture. Ok I'm starting to sound like some people I thought were old not to long ago.

OMG me too! I wonder what would happen if I told them I am going to pull the plug right now!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
johnlvs2run
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered two NetTalk Duo's, 3 days apart.

The first one took 7 1/2 days and came yesterday.

The second one took 5 1/2 days and came this morning.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
sabresfan wrote:

well I would do it right now, but my two kids are still on here playing warcraft and they would have a fit if I disconnected them right now. but don't stop, keep thinking what else I can try also, because I will definitely try that, I want to know if it is my router or not. I have been wondering that myself for a while now. maybe the router is just a piece of sh!t. On my last test call with my last phone to try, the panasonic dect 6.0, it was going good at first then it too started doing stuff. My sister said I was sounding like I had a alien sounding voice.

You do realize them playing games and you trying to use VOIP can cause problems right? The Hawkings should really help you in that area. I have a feeling if and when you buy the hawkings a lot of your VOIP problems will lessen or go away totally.
My jitter is usually 1 or so, and yours is high which can for sure cause breakups. Your can TRY to get your ISP involved but if you tell them it is for VOIP they will tell you to pound sand. Just tell them you get pauses when you surf and when you did a ping test it showed high jitter. Again do not mention VOIP...

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
gashliquor

My system didn't want to respond according to your directions. If there was nothing "loading" the modem, it would not get out of the test mode. Did I miss something. It's Terayon TJ 715. Provided by Cox. System seems to be working but no severe testing. The blue light is definitely on during a call.

OTC

OTC, The modem can't fully bootup because the other devices after it prevents it from connecting to the internet. So what i should of wrote to you is let the device startup as far as it can go, To play safe give each device 1 min in order solves it all, BTW when your on the phone does that BLUE light stay lit 100% ( When your on a call WHEN the person picks up )
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:

ok here are some speed and ping results. you tell me what you think. now mind you I have to kids here both online playing warcraft and doing god only knows what else right now.

There is nothing wrong with the tests that i see, However a few tests are WAY out of range and computer software can make them that way. I prefer taking the tests with AV shut off and others beleive otherwise. But i see no problem with these tests. Actually there a over kill for that device.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Her NT works worse then MJ...Thats a RARE disease! Reply with quote

@ Nugrl, I looked closer to some of your tests, I just got up. I seen jitter at 8 ms, When jitter is 9 ms my rule of thumb is your gonna get some breakingup, clipping etc. I see you were near that number. My jitter is 0.6 which means its not even ONE. Also as Joe says your children can be causing you all the problems as online games is taking bandwidth more then you think even though you have a pretty good connection. If i find this is your problem the only thing that will bail you out is the Broadband Booster like joe said. However i received a email thru my private fan mail. Read it and do as i said and let me know the results and go from there as i don't read alot of these messages as im involved in a project that usually don't take a week to solve. The key in the perfect world is LOW jitter under 9ms, If jitter is'nt kept low there is nothing anyone can do except bitch to there cable company which nothing they will do anyway, Yes i can make jitter drop messing with your computers services etc but not from here i can't and to do thru text or phone is even out as i trust no one but myself if something goes sour. Plus i DOUB'T thats your problem. I think your problem 95% is your off spring and i COULD still be wrong. However do the test i asked and make 3-5 calls and i want to know the out come. The BAD thing of these online tests is there NOT worth a shit in a way because NT server is'nt the same server that speedtest is doing a test with. Best you can do is test in there area if YOU know where there server is and it's not hard but let's see the out come of the simple test. Oh and B4 i forget EVEN though your internet works fine and kids playing games and MAYBE watching porno etc it STILL does not mean your modem had it either even with the results you posted!.

Last edited by gashliquor on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Nugrl, If the children are looking at porno THAT may cause your system to have the jitters which would cause clipping and breaking up etc Wink

P.S. If u find a manual of your router in PDF send it too me thru fan mail
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
here are some new speed and ping tests. how about these results!!! Shocked

so now tell me, is my internet the problem? I still have 2 kids online at the same time playing warcraft, etc.

now wait, I just tested again, and take a look at this now! Shocked

look out gash, I'm in your neighborhood now buddy!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing so now tell me its my internet! Wink

Those readings are bogus not correct and i know why, I don't have the same connection anymore. Im 15 up and 100 Down now Laughing , It's the upstream thats more important to ya and all your tests you have more then enough
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gashliquor

Basically I followed the sequence: modem in test loop-wait; HBB1 until blinking greens-wait; router until synced in; Duo-let it re provision. Waits were a game or two of solitair. Working fine.

I get a blue flash when the call goes out then steady when called party answers. Guess that's normal indication.

OTC
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
gashliquor

Basically I followed the sequence: modem in test loop-wait; HBB1 until blinking greens-wait; router until synced in; Duo-let it re provision. Waits were a game or two of solitair. Working fine.

I get a blue flash when the call goes out then steady when called party answers. Guess that's normal indication.

OTC

OTC, You got it, Go into I.E. and type this: 192.168.229.61, What is your upstream rate?. and for the hell of it your Firmware is 1.2.0 right?.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware version 1.2.0
Upstream rate 1546
Upstream MTU 1514

I think the Hawking is doing its job Very Happy

OTC
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
Firmware version 1.2.0
Upstream rate 1546
Upstream MTU 1514

I think the Hawking is doing its job Very Happy

OTC

Yes you got it all correct, At least we have a happy camper now trying to install this into a system via remote into NY for someone that don't understand Laughing
johnlvs2run
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this?

$24 a month just for broadband.

A tech came out about 10 years ago and said there was too much noise in the line, so they lowered the speed.

Suggestions on getting a faster speed and/or lower price are much appreciated.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnlvs2run wrote:

How is this?

$24 a month just for broadband.

A tech came out about 10 years ago and said there was too much noise in the line, so they lowered the speed.

Suggestions on getting a faster speed and/or lower price are much appreciated.

I can see your in CA i know i lived there too, Your speeds are low and i bet your stuck with Verizon in your area. Noise in area is there headache and for the speed u have IMO $24.00 is too much. Use speedtest.net and show me those results to your local server which will be still in the L.A. area. And when you SAID they lowered the speed your not kidding Exclamation
johnlvs2run
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gashliquor wrote:
I can see your in CA i know i lived there too, Your speeds are low and i bet your stuck with Verizon in your area. Noise in area is there headache and for the speed u have IMO $24.00 is too much. Use speedtest.net and show me those results to your local server which will be still in the L.A. area. And when you SAID they lowered the speed your not kidding Exclamation

Right, stuck with verizon.
It was set up for 1mb at the time. They lowered to 1/2 that, then at some point it came back to 1mb.

DslExtreme is advertising $25/mo for 3mb in this area, which is a much better deal than verizon.
I wonder if the noise would increase with that though.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gash liquor

Had to modify my setup.

My brother-in-law, down closer to you, was trying to set the XYL up with Skype Video. She's using a notebook wirelessly off my network. After messing around for a while finally got the connection to work. However, quality was not good: stutter, freeze and dropouts. Came into the office and noticed that Hawking wasn't showing blue light So I went in to my router D-link 615 and turned on the QOS. For the next thirty minutes not a hiccup from Skype. Even though not seeing blue light from Hawking. Checked NT Duo and got normal Hawking blue flash then steady blue when called party picked up. Looks like the router QOS only applies to the wireless. I guess the Hawking blue light wasn't on for Skye because of Skype's proprietary protocol, correct?

Thought this might be interesting to anyone that runs into similar problem.
OTC
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I just ordered the Hawkings. I am done thinking about it. I have resigned myself to using the Panasonic Dect 6.0 KX-TGA101S with the NT Duo for now. Out of the 3 phones I have here, that one sounds the best with it. So now that I just ordered the Hawkings, another phone right now is not in the budget. Sad Hopefully with a little help with my router, I can get it sounding better. Wink
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnlvs2run wrote:
gashliquor wrote:

It was set up for 1mb at the time. They lowered to 1/2 that, then at some point it came back to 1mb.

DslExtreme is advertising $25/mo for 3mb in this area, which is a much better deal than verizon.

The upstream is NOT good enough im sorry to say, Your betting switching carriers
newtoncd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gashliquor wrote:
The upstream is NOT good enough im sorry to say, Your betting switching carriers

VoIP requires somewhere between 80-90 kb/s and johnlvs2run's upload is at 380 kb/s. While it isn't a speedy connection, with QoS they should be able to be on the Internet and on the phone at the same time without any issues. I could see an issue if they are uploading/sharing files 24/7, however.

For normal use, I am just curious why it wouldn't be good enough.

Last edited by newtoncd on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldtimercurt wrote:
gash liquor

Had to modify my setup.

My brother-in-law, down closer to you, was trying to set the XYL up with Skype Video. She's using a notebook wirelessly off my network. After messing around for a while finally got the connection to work. However, quality was not good: stutter, freeze and dropouts. Came into the office and noticed that Hawking wasn't showing blue light So I went in to my router D-link 615 and turned on the QOS. For the next thirty minutes not a hiccup from Skype. Even though not seeing blue light from Hawking. Checked NT Duo and got normal Hawking blue flash then steady blue when called party picked up. Looks like the router QOS only applies to the wireless. I guess the Hawking blue light wasn't on for Skye because of Skype's proprietary protocol, correct?

Thought this might be interesting to anyone that runs into similar problem.
OTC

The Hawkins booster does NOTHING for anything wireless, WMM QoS inside a router DOES have to do with quality wireless ONLY. However i don't deal with routers unless there Cisco/Linksys here. You can get away with QoS with the router for non wireless but just putting the upstream QoS in the router to AUTO. But again in your case i only will use Linksys routers. So with your tweaking and testing you may have it cured WITH your brand of router. Im working on a audio setup and have took back 5 VTech phones. Now they came out with 6.0 DECT Plus and it kix ass with the Duo but if your willing to spend $90.00, I'll be backing im testing with NY on DUO.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtoncd wrote:
gashliquor wrote:

VoIP requires somewhere between 80-90 kb/s and johnlvs2run's upload is at 380 kb/s. While it isn't a speedy connection, with QoS they should be able to be on the Internet and on the phone at the same time without any issues. I could see an issue if they are uploading/sharing files 24/7, however.

For normal use, I am just curious why it wouldn't be good enough.
Agreed my upload is only 256 kbps. I can stream a movie on the Wii and talk on the phone at the same time and everything sounds good. I had a faster speed with dsl years ago but the quality of the line was terrible. While work was slow last year We went down to the lowest speed TWC has and had only 128 kbps up and was still able to talk on the phone and surf the web but nothing else.
newtoncd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnlvs2run wrote:

The speed tests are fine, but you want to measure for VoIP traffic.

Run a VoIP test (leave the default at G.711 codec) at: http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

What does it report?
gashliquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ johnlvs2run, IMO your upstream is LOW however the device does'nt require a large amount of upstream so it is true your fine there, However if your jitter starts changing here and there during the day your gonna not sound that good. Remember im not on a home connection here so now matter what im ok. In your case get a jitter of 9ms and above and i don't care what u have it's going to clip, breakup etc. Usually cable companies would not even help a customer to get rid of noise on there line, I had a problem once and they had to bury a new central line but i did'nt pay a damn thing for 6 mo either. I really don't care for Verizon myself and others my adore them, Plus WHO's TO SAY what your upstream is staying at. Your upstream can be like blood pressure changing every second or less you don't know. I see what happening on my end with my connection and i can tell you the worst time of the day on my end is 6pm, But even then it does'nt effect me. I can be on MJ and 4 ppl on my Ooma and a 3-way on NT and nothing breaks up plus be playing online gaming if i cud and have old lady and daughter on same network wireless Youtubing and d/l or u/ling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: