magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux softphones

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tvland, can you tell us what you did to make the call quality better with Twinkle?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: VOIP tutorials--maybe some help for Linux--twinkle--MJ? Reply with quote

On the following link, I found tons of Linux tutorials, including three devoted to configuring the quality of VOIP signals:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/

Here are those three:

Giving VoIP Traffic the Green Light, Part 1
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6266/1/

Giving VoIP Traffic the Green Light, Part 2
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6272/1/

Giving VoIP Traffic the Green Light, Part 3
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6275/1/

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can judge whether there are useful clues therein to help our Linux--twinkle--MJ challenge.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll take a look at those when I'm not drunk.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using these instructions, I have it working with Twinkle (thanks!). Reading the Twinkle Manual (version 1.3.2), I found that on the SIP server page, if an outbound proxy is used and it is identical to the Registrar, then the Registrar field can be left empty. So my User profile settings are:

User
SIP account
Your name: Firstname Lastname
User name*: Exxxxxxxxxx01 (replace x's by phone number)
Domain*: talk4free.com
SIP authentication
Authentication name: Exxxxxxxxxx01 (same as above)
Password: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20-character MJ password)

SIP server
Outbound Proxy
x Use outbound proxy
Outbound proxy: proxy?.city.talk4free.com:5070 (where "?" is a small positive integer and "city" is a nearby city in the proxy list).

Voice mail
Voice mail address: xxxxxxxxxx (phone number)

with all other entries left at defaults.
jp10558
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find out your MagicJack password?
jp10558
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to translate this for X-Lite? I can't install Twinkle on the EeePC...
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I tried xlite for linux and thought it was just horrible. I'd rather try to help you install twinkle on the EeePC than figure out xlite.

Let me know what OS you have running on the Eeepc and we can go from there.
jp10558
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

default install on the 4G (not surf). I believe it's Xandros.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long you've been using Xandros, but I could definitely recommend that you install ubuntu on your EeePC. There is a netbook remix as well as straight ubuntu 8.10 that will work with the EeePC, there are deb packages available for twinkle in ubuntu.

To get you started, here's a link to what the ubuntu netbook remix can do: http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/nbr

and here's a link on how to install it all! http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_become_a_linux_netbook_poweruser

If you have no desire to install ubuntu (though I definitely think it will enhance your netbook experience) you could start with twinkle by looking at the instructions here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mfnboer/twinkle/index.html

You'll have to install the dependencies listed there before the program.

In the mean time I'll see if I can figure out xlite.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got concerned when I heard that some people had been booted for violating the TOS, since there seems to be no way to set the User-Agent in Twinkle. At present I'm using IPKall/FWD/dukaDIAL as primary phone service, and keeping the MJ service as backup.
jp10558
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have an atom processor, so Ubuntu is out of the question. Plus, this is set up with other software, and I need it working. If this doesn't work, I'll just bring my Windows laptop as well...

Twinkle is pretty hard to figure out for me - it doesn't work from synaptic, and I can't double click -> next -> finish it on that website ... I have no idea if any of the versions of the dependancies will break Xandros, and some are not the version (QT is 4 for download) that Twinkle wants...

XLite was easy, double click and it ran...
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK only one person has been caught because of that.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa I did it.

SIP phone details for Xlite:

Click the button to the right of the "clear" button in the center of the xlite console. Choose system settings>SIP proxy>default.

Double click enabled, change to yes.
Display name: whatever you want.

Username: your proxy username
Authorization user: also your proxy username.
Password: Your sip password here
Domain/realm: UserDomain
SIP Proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com
Out Bound proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com:5070 (if your ProxyPort is different use that instead of 5070)
After this al the fields remain at default, change nothing.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp10558, did you manage to get xlite working then via the setup I posted?
jp10558
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It connected, but I guess bandwidth or the eee can't handle the connections well... Oh well, worth a try.
falserepellant
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not very good at linux but I use it from time to time to learn. I was trying to connect MJ in linux. I tried to follow the instructions in this thread; however, I have a couple of questions:

1. when I try to click Register from Registration menu in Twinkle a popup window opens that asks me to enter User name and Password and the window says "Login required for realm: stratus.com"

2. In setting SIP authentication do I create a new Password or in one of the post replies it said that 20 characters MJ password.. I bought magic jack almost 8 months ago, and I don't remember they ever gave me that 20 characters password. The only password I have is the login to the my.magicjack.com
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the tools here: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stroths-mj-utilities-suite-1-6-sip-grabber-upgrader-more-t4230.html

They will help you find your SIP info (login name and password)
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to extract the username and password from the MJ. You can use the Strohs tool in the following link to extract them.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stroths-mj-utilities-suite-1-6-sip-grabber-upgrader-more-t4230.html
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kif Hah I beat you! :p j/k.
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you! LOL Smile

Your just quicker on the draw gnimsh. Smile
falserepellant
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll check it out over the weekend.
nayten
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tutorial seems to work great for me, but it seems that I'm unable to receive calls. Any advice?
gnimsh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with, can you give your system information, distro and version, what program you're using, audio setup, stuff like. Also if you can explain in detail what happens when you receive an incoming call that would help too.
nayten
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, Twinkle 1.3.2. I'm using a mic/speaker plug generic headset.

Everything works great for making calls. When I call my number, it rings just one time (sounds like it gets cut off) and goes straight to my MagicJack voicemail, as if my MagicJack is not online.

Not sure what you're looking for more in-depth than that. I got my SIP info using the MJ Utilities Suite, and it seems as though that's all running well since I can make calls.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm I've never experienced that. Make sure you have call forwarding disabled.

I'm on 8.04 as my headset, along with various other devices, would not work in 9.04. I can't really test it myself for this reason, unfortunately.
nayten
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what I did differently other than a reboot, but works like a charm now! Thanks for the help.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the mysteries of linux. Sometimes a reboot is all that's needed Smile
stav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Twinkle on Ubuntu, few issues Reply with quote

First of, thanks to gnimsch and all the fellows that worked so hard to post all these goodies.
I followed gnimsch step-by-step instructions installing Twinkle and MJ on Ubuntu9.04 and I get the following error message, "Cannot reach the STUN Server STUN:proxy01.miami.talk4free.com:5070. If you are behind a firewall then you need to open followingUDP ports , Poerts 5060 (SIP signaling) Ports 8000-8005 (RTP/RTCP).".
anyone has a suggestion on how to overcome this?
I haven't installed any firewall on Ubuntu and have no firewall on my wireless router either.
Thx,
Stav
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your sip server settings in twinkle, make sure "registrar" looks like: proxy1.Miami.talk4free.com:5070

Check the "register at startup" box.

Under "outbound proxy" use the same line as above (proxy1.Minneapolis.talk4free.com:5070)

Check the FAQ page from twinkle and search for STUN, as it seems to address this problem: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mfnboer/twinkle/index.html

Finally, you may try logging into your modem at 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.0.1. The IP address depends on your modem brand but its usually one of those. From there you should be able to enable portforwarding for the required ports. Good luck!
stav

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened the ports and it works now.
However, I cannot use my phone to place and answer calls. The headset works fine, though. Any hint on how to overcome this ? The audio settings are all defaults (OSS conexant).
Thanks for helping,
Stav
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stav wrote:
I opened the ports and it works now.
However, I cannot use my phone to place and answer calls. The headset works fine, though. Any hint on how to overcome this ? The audio settings are all defaults (OSS conexant).
Thanks for helping,
Stav

In linux, the MJ device works as a soundcard. When you plug a phone into the MJ soundcard while running linux, it just funnels the sound from the soundcard to the phone instead. There is no software running to detect the dialing from the number pad on the phone. Therefore, while you should be able to have a conversation via your telephone, you must dial from the software phone.

As the MJ also runs as a soundcard, you could also check to make sure the device is not muted. First, I am assuming you're running ubuntu. There are a few issues with the gnome volume manager, and so its better for you to use gnome-alsamixer, which can be installed from synaptic. Once you install that, open it up. There will be 2 tabs, one for your default sound card and one for the usb mixer. Unmute everything in the usb mixer. You can also try this in ubuntu's volume manager, but I think alsamixer works better.
stav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Ubuntu 9.04.
Installed the alsamixer and the device is unmuted. I went to Twinkle and changed the system settings of the sound card to ALSA USB Internet phone by Tigerjet(USB Audio) on all selectable items in there. Still unable to use the phone. It works with the headphones and the standard settings tough. Something I'm missing here? Thx

Also, do you know if the MJ works if plugged directly in the USB port of the router?
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm well as of this writing, all softphones other than the MJ one no longer work... that means that twinkle will not connect to the MJ service, sadly. So it may not be your set up at all.
stav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try the x-lite and report back. Thanks anyways for your great help. Do you happen to know a thread about connecting the MJ directly to the wireless router or if this setup will work?
Have a great w/e,
Stav
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't but I don't believe you can hook it up to a router like that as you would still need to run the software phone, which a router cannot do.
stav

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen furtively one such post, not sure if it was in this sticky but cannot find it using the search anymore ...hmmm, anyone out there.... any hint? thx
Stav
reelbigfish
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Use MJ as a PSTN connection for an Asterisk Test Box Reply with quote

good day - I have a MJ and a working Astrisk server with some sip phones. I'd like to use the MJ account as PSTN provider for my Asterisk test box.

I've captured a Sniff of MJ but I'm not sure what I need and how to find it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
bg3075
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is MajicJack no longer working with Twinkle, as gnimsh stated above? I have tried everything...even entered the Domain as MajicJack customer support chat advised, "reg.talk4free.com". I am running Twinkle 1.4.2.1.fc10, and MajicJack just been upgraded (I believe like 1.90; cannot tell while in Linux right now). Tried all recommendations, even robatino's:
Quote:
User
SIP account
Your name: Firstname Lastname
User name*: Exxxxxxxxxx01 (replace x's by phone number)
Domain*: talk4free.com (and reg.talk4free.com)
SIP authentication
Authentication name: Exxxxxxxxxx01 (same as above)
Password: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20-character MJ password) - though mine was not 20-characters, but 7 characters.

SIP server
Outbound Proxy
x Use outbound proxy
Outbound proxy: proxy1.Dallas.talk4free.com:5070
bg3075
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
Whoa I did it.

SIP phone details for Xlite:

Click the button to the right of the "clear" button in the center of the xlite console. Choose system settings>SIP proxy>default.

Double click enabled, change to yes.
Display name: whatever you want.

Username: your proxy username
Authorization user: also your proxy username.
Password: Your sip password here
Domain/realm: UserDomain
SIP Proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com
Out Bound proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com:5070 (if your ProxyPort is different use that instead of 5070)
After this al the fields remain at default, change nothing.
gnimsh, I did just as you specified above, and get an error "403 forbidden" when attempting to make a call. And here is the log:
Code:

SEND TIME: 2622740035

SEND >> 67.107.71.134:5070

ACK sip:[email protected] SIP/2.0

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.2.126:5060;rport;branch=z9hG4bK2345D2A6FACED88A39E126621CCE958A

To: <sip:[email protected]>

Call-ID: [email protected]

CSeq: 10250 ACK

Max-Forwards: 70

Content-Length: 0

SEND TIME: 2622754402

SEND >> 67.107.71.134:5070
SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized

I have already tried using Twinkle as well...does no internet phone work with MagicJack any longer?
mj777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using ubuntu karmic, mjproxy and twinkle i got mj to successfully register and place outgoing calls. i could not get it to receive though. the client wll receive with other carriers (sipgate, sipsorcery) so don't think it is the nat, maybe it's something to do with mj proxy. but its a start. if anyone has any ideas please post. i compiled mjproxy from source post here.
Amountstax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: I see what really happening here... Reply with quote

The great thing about Linux is also a double edged sword. I think the real reason MagicJack isn't even trying to support linux is b/c the linux community is so vast and helpful. What do I mean? (MagicJack Programmers) Why do we need to figure out how to get it to work? Linux users will figure it out for us! Mad

I think this is more common than we like to admit! Evil or Very Mad
ashwinipn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
Can you put a screenshot up of your various settings?
Be sure to erase your number, just put a black line over it in a simple editor or something...if you care about us seeing your username (as your password is already hidden anyway)

I was getting the 503 a lot the last few days, having to do with the server outages. Try switching to a new server like newark instead of nashville, for example

Hi,
Which password is required? The usual MJ one that I use for login at http://my.magicjack.com?
Thanks...
bpunch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting poor call quality, heard about twinkle but don't know how to configure it.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: