magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

linux support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paperloader
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: linux support Reply with quote

First of all let me say I hate Windows. I do not want to use virtual box or something else that uses virtual Windows to get my MJ to work. In their FAQ it says MJ will have linux support in the first quarter of 2010. That date has passed and still no linux support. The live support says it is coming soon but they do not have a date. I will be surprised if they have it by the end of the year if ever.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: linux support Reply with quote

paperloader wrote:
I will be surprised if they have it by the end of the year if ever.

Never is the operative term. What does MJ gain for their effort? There is more than enough programming talent to accomodate this if it were important. Releasing MJ as a 'nix capable device would be counterproductive to their business goals
paperloader
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason MJ SHOULD have linux support is all the people who hate Windows. They could gain a lot more customers if they did. I have my doubts they will ever do it. They should just be honest instead of promising support in the first quarter of 2010.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paperloader wrote:
The reason MJ SHOULD have linux support is all the people who hate Windows. They could gain a lot more customers if they did. I have my doubts they will ever do it. They should just be honest instead of promising support in the first quarter of 2010.

I don't disagree with you regarding MJ's broken "promises." But with about 90% of all PCs running Windoze, and maybe 5% MACs (which they do support), what economic sense does it make for MJ to support Linux? And which "flavor" of Linux should it be "certified" to run on - Red Hat? Fedora? Ubuntu? Debian?

Easiest thing right now for Linux is to search this forum for the means by which you can obtain your SIP credentials and then use one of the various SIP-based softphones on Linux. That way you can dump the USB dongle in a box and run whatever flavor of Linux your heart desires.
vszasz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like the linux support so I can devote an old PC to just run magicjack without spending the money on a windows license.
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsweiss wrote:
I don't disagree with you regarding MJ's broken "promises." But with about 90% of all PCs running Windoze, and maybe 5% MACs (which they do support), what economic sense does it make for MJ to support Linux? And which "flavor" of Linux should it be "certified" to run on - Red Hat? Fedora? Ubuntu? Debian?

Easiest thing right now for Linux is to search this forum for the means by which you can obtain your SIP credentials and then use one of the various SIP-based softphones on Linux. That way you can dump the USB dongle in a box and run whatever flavor of Linux your heart desires.

We all pretty much know that it's not a hardware issue. You can plug in your MJ on a linux machine and it recognizes it but doesn't have the software to run it. There are many cross-platform programs that work in both linux and windows. It's not Brain Surgery. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason 90% are windows is because 89% of us had no other option besides Mac. If all devices were offered in a cross-platform arena I bet you would have seen many different percentages from the get go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: