magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux VirtualBox

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant fresh install of windows, just in case that's not the one you did. Anyway, here's a link that seems to be the most complete way to remove magicjack: http://www.ooine.com/index.cfm/2008/3/15/How-to-uninstall-Magic-Jack
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I actually meant fresh install of windows, just in case that's not the one you did. Anyway, here's a link that seems to be the most complete way to remove magicjack: http://www.ooine.com/index.cfm/2008/3/15/How-to-uninstall-Magic-Jack

its not a problem cause by windows, it was cause by this software. i
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about that. Is there any more context to this 1406? a message with it, something...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nickage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. Is there any more context to this 1406? a message with it, something...

I got the vm server reinstalled but the virtual machine does not get on the internet and the netwrok icon on the bottom right has an exclamation point in it. It is set to automatically bridge???
MJRP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Not able to use analog phone on VirtualBox Reply with quote

Can some one please help me.

I successfully installed XP Pro in VirtualBox 1.5.6 on Ubutnu 8.04 with USB interface. My MJ comes up by itself and I can make and receive calls only with softphone.But not able to use analog phone.

On softphone, when I click Menu->Volume/Headset control, it is not allowing me to select "Telephone" radio button. It selected Headset/Other by default.

Thanks in advance
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to enable something in so that the USB works in it.

So all you need to do is
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=393582
I do not use Virtualbox, but I tried it a few months ago and I needed to do the above. Tell me if it works out or if it doesn't.
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
You need to enable something in so that the USB works in it.

So all you need to do is
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=393582
I do not use Virtualbox, but I tried it a few months ago and I needed to do the above. Tell me if it works out or if it doesn't.
Kumar

Kumar, I have USB working perfectly in VMware Server and have *never* been able to use a "real" phone with MJ -- only the softphone; the Telephone button is always grayed out. (Multiple PCs/Laptops/Architectures, multiple VMware 1.x versions, multiple Host OS's (SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian)).

I think there may be something more to it than just USB recognition -- I could be wrong -- I sure would love to find out the solution.

(And just for kicks I have used MJ on a "native" XP laptop with USB 1.1; just to make sure it wasn't because VMware 1.x only supports USB 1.1).
dman777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i have virtualbox running in linux with windows xp as my guest. magic jack loads successfully with no problems. i can use mj in my windows xp guest and i can get a dial tone. but when i try to dial out, rather through soft keypad or my phone, it doesn't ring or do anything. any suggestions?
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
hey, i have virtualbox running in linux with windows xp as my guest. magic jack loads successfully with no problems. i can use mj in my windows xp guest and i can get a dial tone. but when i try to dial out, rather through soft keypad or my phone, it doesn't ring or do anything. any suggestions?

Wish I could help on this ... still trying to get my VMware XP Guest to recognize a "regular" phone when using MJ (softphone works fine).

Also checked all items in Device List and everything appears properly configured, no "X's" or anything.

Check your Device List to see if everything is OK -- especially sound devices.
mozerd
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
bump
I believe that MJ has a DirectX 9.0C dependency so I suggest that you try installing that to perhaps solve your issue.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got at tip from Stewart: Looks like I am missing the Tigerjet USB Phone device drivers in the VMware XP Guest ... I am trying to track down those drivers from the Tigerjet site -- would rather get the latest/greatest there than on the M$ site. If anyone has a link let me know. Thanks

testing123 wrote:
dman777 wrote:

Wish I could help on this ... still trying to get my VMware XP Guest to recognize a "regular" phone when using MJ (softphone works fine).

Also checked all items in Device List and everything appears properly configured, no "X's" or anything.

Check your Device List to see if everything is OK -- especially sound devices.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: SOLVED Reply with quote

Finally SOLVED (on VMware).

I tried EVERY trick in the book (including downloading every Tigerjet sofware ever) AND downloading DIVX codecs -- none worked.

Solution:

In VMware you must enable BOTH the "YMax Communications Corp MagicJack" device AND "Tiger Jet USB Network USB Device" by using VM / Removable Devices/ USB Devices menu option.

I had never enabled the "Tiger Jet ..." device before because from the early days (probably from the "official" MJ forum) we were told that device didn't need to be enabled.

As soon as you enable it, you can now choose "Telephone" from the device menu!

Hopefully this helps you Virtualbox Users as well.
dman777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

can anyone help me with my problem w/ virtualbox? i can get a dial tone but when i dial the number all i get is silence. The number does dial out though because i called my friend and he recieved the call. I just can't hear anything(but I CAN hear a dial tone before I dial).
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the most basic fix might be to check that your softphone is enabled to use the phone and not the headset. Try that.
dman777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, it is enabled. i'm stumped. just to be clear, other people have gotten magic jack to work on virtual box - correct?
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
ya, it is enabled. i'm stumped. just to be clear, other people have gotten magic jack to work on virtual box - correct?

I believe some may have. Check here

And Search the forum using "virtualbox" -- I would have provided the search url but I can't seem to snag the search url from this forum when it delivers the results.
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux VirtualBox Reply with quote

ir_efrem wrote:
well I got my magicjack working with innotek's VrtualBox i can call out and in.....

one problem the voice quality is choppy as hell....

My setup is an AMD x2 3800+ 1gig of ram - Debian 4.0 etchy *2.6.18-5-486*

I only have 200mb allocated to windows in the virtual window

ill mess with a few virtual settings and see if I can't improve performance a bit and come back to post more....

Edit: well there wasn't much to actually change - i tried using 512mb of ram for the virtual machine and it had to effect - i rooted around in windows and changed the sound devices from MagicJack device to default device - also no effect.. set the program priority to Realtime, again no effect.....Anyone with an Idea or 2?

Hey all - I'm here at this point also. Got it working, can make/receive calls, but the quality is un-useabley choppy. I did some bandwidth checks and my UPLOAD speed is like 55 k in the XP guest. The host has just under 1 meg, so I know the physical computer and network is sufficient to handle the load, but the guest is only getting a dribble. (Download speed is similar in both the guest and host, just the upload speed).

Any hints on what to tweak / set / adjust to get more UPLOAD bandwidth from the guest?

Thanks -
MoHoelX.
dman777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you got yours working. I wish I knew how you did it. There's no volume on mine. I can make calls and it will actually call the other person, but there is no volume what so ever on both ends of the phone.
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
I can't believe you got yours working. I wish I knew how you did it. There's no volume on mine. I can make calls and it will actually call the other person, but there is no volume what so ever on both ends of the phone.

Well, apart from un-doing a bunch of things I had tried previously, here is the deal.

Using Ubuntu 8.04, and after failing to get VMWare Server to launch, I went back to VirtualBox and started by uninstalling the 1.5xx version I had, and loading the current 1.6xx version, and then followed the instructions found here;

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=242936

As for sound, when I first tried with a cheap-y mic/headphone plugged directly into the 2.5mm jacks, I don't think I got any mic sound (didn't test much for sure, since on this laptop it's always been "full" of machine noise anyway). Got a USB headset at Target, and that works great! Shows up as a C-Media audio device. Just set the MJ to headset and select the C-Media devices for mic and speaker, and away I went....

...well, apart from the lack of upload bandwidth....

Odd note - when I test bandwidth I get anywhere from 35 k to 220 k (which would be acceptable) depending on the test site and method (java is consistently horrible, Flash is a mixed bag depending on testing site).

But regardless of the test results, I am still getting so chopped up, it is not useable.

So close, and yet so far.....
dman777
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, that chopped up sound is actually on the fault of Virtualbox. I have done alot of research on it and usb audio(tried to get my external usb receiver to work) and that is a common issue in virtualbox. they refuse to fix it saying that it's not meant for multimedia purposes, only business. great. wish sun micro never bought it.
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when does multimedia mean "not business"? Someone should mention that to Sony, BMG, Disney, etc. Granted, my particular use for VirtualBox might not be their 'sweet-spot', but oh, well....
spandanj
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: ubuntu 8.04+virtual box 2.0.2+winxp SP2+MJ = not working Reply with quote

HI,

I mount both Ymax cd/dvd drive and the Tigerjet USB. I see both in my computer in winxp (in virtualbox)

MJ starts automatically. I hear the dial tone in the phone. However, when i make calls I do not hear any rings or any voices. It does not work with telephone OR the headset. I know headset works b/c i listen to music on winxp (in virtualbox).

so what's the problem?

How can i solve this?
spandanj
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supposedly,

the problem lies in host network interfacing. IF you can set up bridge connection in your virtualbox to your host OS, MJ should work.

I have not been able to do so because setting up bridge connection in ubuntu 8.04 is WAY WAY complicated. you have to write scripts, change config files. It's really annoying. No end user should have to go through that. we are not all linux experts here! I tried, and I almost screwed up my internet.

If virtualbox could just provide option to set up a bridge connection (click, select) during its installation, like parallels does, MJ would work.

so, IF
1) winxp in virtualbox sees tigerjet usb, and magic YMAX cd/dvd mounted.
2) bridged connection

Your MJ should work.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello boyos,
Allow me to introduce you to your new friend, VMWare server: http://register.vmware.com/content/eula-107.html

Perfectly free to download, just register for a free serial key and install it via the terminal. Oh, you want to set up bridged networking? Just enter yes or no. Its much better than VirtualBox even if not its not free as in speech but it is free as in beer, so give it a try!

I've used my MJ in it and it works perfectly. Just make sure to enable the USB support (which you can find out how to do by searching around here or googling, look on google for "#magic to make usb work" or some such).

Good luck.
mufon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to finally get the magicJack up and running under Wine, on my desktop machine. On my laptop however, it's still not working. When I get the laptop running and I fully understand the setup myself, I will write up some instructions. Until then, suffice to say it is do-able, and personally I like the setup far better than a vmware or similar solution.

Interestingly I am using a slingbox player w/wine on the desktop, and it was after installing the slingbox player that I was finally able to get the magiJack software to run. The slingbox player required me to replace about a half-dozen dll's in Wine's config, and I had assigned them globally just before the MJ started working. The slingplayer is not installed on the laptop.

Both machines are running the x64 version of Ubuntu 8.04.1, the "Ultimate Edition" variant.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Can you tell me more about this slingbox?
mufon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
Interesting. Can you tell me more about this slingbox?

Slingbox is a streaming media device that allows for broadcasting television over the internet or local network and is designed specifically to be used with cable or satellite tv converter boxes. They have a Windows or Mac compatible client for viewing their proprietary streaming format.

http://www.slingmedia.com/
spandanj
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying VMware now!

thanks for your advice.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mufon I hope you get some free time soon to describe us what you did!
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to duplicate the dongleless configuration described at

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/easy-way-to-use-magicjack-without-usb-dongle-t2640.html

I copied the magicJack and mjusbfs directories to a directory on my Fedora 10 filesystem. Then running

wine ./mjusbsp/magicJack.exe /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot ./magicJack

in the same directory, it shows the "Starting magicJack, please wait..." progress bar, then nothing. Using Wine 1.1.9. Any quick hints as to what I'm missing would be appreciated.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we don't really have any hints to give you...none of us have figured it out either. Sadly the best option at this time is to either hack the device for your SIP credentials or run the magicjack from a Windows VM.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
Well we don't really have any hints to give you...none of us have figured it out either. Sadly the best option at this time is to either hack the device for your SIP credentials or run the magicjack from a Windows VM.

Using it in Twinkle works great (thanks for the walkthrough!) except for not being able to use it with a regular phone, which I don't really care about. But I read some rumors about some people who were caught using other SIP clients and got terminated at

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack-tech-support-link-t301.html

and would feel better about being able to run the real client. I have it running in VirtualBox but the sound quality is poor, possibly because a VB bug causes it to use ~100% CPU when the guest has access to USB devices. And I haven't been able to get VMware server working at all. They are so focused on business customers that they support RH Enterprise Linux but not Fedora at all. I've heard there are walkthroughs but it seems like too much work just to get one app working properly. Everything else works fine in VirtualBox which is much smaller and easier to use.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a tutorial on how to install VMware server: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/05/30/install-vmware-server-106-on-ubuntu-804-hardy/

That has no ubuntu-specific commands (as far as I can tell) so it should work with fedora.

Once that's done there's one more thing you'll have to do to enable USB (at least I have had to do this): http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007/10/26/usb-not-working-with-virtualbox-in-ubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon/
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufon wrote:
I was able to finally get the magicJack up and running under Wine, on my desktop machine. On my laptop however, it's still not working. When I get the laptop running and I fully understand the setup myself, I will write up some instructions. Until then, suffice to say it is do-able, and personally I like the setup far better than a vmware or similar solution.

Any progress on this? If it's not too complicated, a lot of us would be interested in the basics of what you did, even if you still don't understand it fully yet. Maybe someone else can fill in the missing pieces.
luxor
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any one still having trouble RECEIVING MJ calls with Ubuntu host/XP guest on VMWare Player, The solution is to disable some settings on the Ethernet card using:

ethtool -K eth0 sg off rx off tx off
or
ethtool -K eth0 sg off rx off tx off tso off
depending on the settings supported by your network card.

Then switch VMWare to BRIDGED network connection.

I'm running XP in VMWare Player 3.52 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit and with this fix works GREAT. Tried virtual box first, but sound was too choppy.

For more info visit:

http://scottbarnham.com/blog/2007/08/23/vmware-on-ubuntu-linux-with-bridged-network-to-xp/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: