Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Long Distance not working--cannot call or receive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whippersnapper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Long Distance not working--cannot call or receive

About three months ago my ability to place and receive long distance calls--calls made from outside of and to my Magic Jack's area code--stopped functioning. Whenever I try to call a long distance number I simply get a busy signal.

It worked fine for about a year. Is there a reason why this would happen?
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Distance not working--cannot call or receive

Whippersnapper wrote:
About three months ago my ability to place and receive long distance calls--calls made from outside of and to my Magic Jack's area code--stopped functioning. Whenever I try to call a long distance number I simply get a busy signal.

It worked fine for about a year. Is there a reason why this would happen?

Are you able to make local calls?

Still, it seems every outgoing voip (including MJ) call is a long distance call, there is no distinction to MJ. Your MJ call gets routed over the Internet to a MJ server likely in some far off city from where it interacts with the rest of the north American phone system. So whether you call your neighbour or the next state, if say you are using a MJ server in Florida or Texas, then your call really is coming from Miami or Houston.

For some trouble shooting: can you confirm if you can make and receive local calls? Second, go to www.homedepot.com and call home depot stores at varying distances from you (I suggest home depot only because they have lots of stores and an automated system answers the phone so you don't need to talk to anyone). See if there is a pattern to who you can connect with.

Also, read the other posts about blocked area codes and prefixes. It could be your long distance destination numbers coincidentally are among the ones that block calls from MJ numbers.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by tony on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Distance not working--cannot call or receive

tony wrote:
Also, read the other posts about blocked area codes and prefixes. It could be your long distance destination numbers coincidentally are among the ones that block calls from MJ numbers.

Let us know what you find.

That would be my guess.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whippersnapper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I can make and receive calls for the area code of my Magic Jack, but I get a busy signal when I try to call another area code. I tried calling my Magic Jack with GMail phone and it wouldn't connect.

I had a type-chat with a Magic Jack help person and they said their engineers are looking into it as though I'm not the first person to have this problem.

My Magic Jack's area code is 248. I have a difficult time believing that I had no problems making calls all across the country for over a year and then all of the sudden all the numbers I'm dialing block Magic Jack.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Whippersnapper wrote:
I can make and receive calls for the area code of my Magic Jack, but I get a busy signal when I try to call another area code. I tried calling my Magic Jack with GMail phone and it wouldn't connect.

I had a type-chat with a Magic Jack help person and they said their engineers are looking into it as though I'm not the first person to have this problem.

My Magic Jack's area code is 248. I have a difficult time believing that I had no problems making calls all across the country for over a year and then all of the sudden all the numbers I'm dialing block Magic Jack.

30 plus pages of people just like you who can't beleive it.. BELIEVE IT!!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-can-t-call-local-ISP-area-code
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whippersnapper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, BitStopJoe. I'd been calling numbers in a rural area code; that's probably what the problem is. Funny, the Magic Jack TV ads don't mention that a great many numbers are blocked, if that is indeed the case. It almost seems like they are positioning themselves to be on the defendant side of a class action lawsuit.

So, if Magic Jack is no longer working for many people, what's the next best alternative? Has anyone heard of any problems with Ooma?
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject:

Whippersnapper wrote:
Thanks, BitStopJoe. I'd been calling numbers in a rural area code; that's probably what the problem is. Funny, the Magic Jack TV ads don't mention that a great many numbers are blocked, if that is indeed the case. It almost seems like they are positioning themselves to be on the defendant side of a class action lawsuit.

So, if Magic Jack is no longer working for many people, what's the next best alternative? Has anyone heard of any problems with Ooma?

Due to the number blocking, I have moved to nettalk. So far, some minor issues, but it seems pretty good.
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject:

There's a forum discussion devoted entirely to magicJack alternatives. Lots of good info.

OTC
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-can-t-call-local-ISP-area-code

Hey Joe,
Interesting link. And that the rural phone companies (wow, independent phone companies still exist? I think there is only on left in my province) are charging other carriers exorbitant rates. The calling customer doesn't see these rates so blame it on their carrier, MJ in this case. No win for the carrier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: