Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Long distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewilcox1971
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Long distance

I have had magicjack for less than a week. Had problems with the audio but hopefully that is resolved. Now the problem I have is that anyone that tries to call me it is a long distance call for them. We have the same area code but different prefixes and magicjack said this is a long distance call for them even though it is local through AT&T. Is this true and will it change anytime soon? Thanks.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Long distance

ewilcox1971 wrote:
I have had magicjack for less than a week. Had problems with the audio but hopefully that is resolved. Now the problem I have is that anyone that tries to call me it is a long distance call for them. We have the same area code but different prefixes and magicjack said this is a long distance call for them even though it is local through AT&T. Is this true and will it change anytime soon? Thanks.

Being in the same area code doesn't equate to toll-free calls. I wouldn't trust what MJ says about it since it's not MJ who will be the entity billing the caller. Only the caller can verify with their service provider whether an intra-area code call will involve a toll.

There is probably a way to determine this using Local Calling Guide (http://www.localcallingguide.com). But, I don't know how to do it. Maybe someone else can explain.

Mark
TimSH
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject:

As you've already been told, same area code does not equal local call. That's not up to MagicJack.

It may be that all calls within certain area codes are local to each other, but that depends largely on how large (geographically) an area code is. Conversely, not all calls from one area code to another are long distance.

Have the people calling you check with their provider to see if a call to your exchange is local for them.

To tell the truth, I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't at least have unlimited in-state long distance included with their land line now. You can get a line without it, but why would you unless you're just getting bottom of the barrel service in case you need to make an emergency call or want people to be able to call you without using cell phone minutes.
ewilcox1971
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I checked the local phone book and called AT&T and they said it is a local call but could not do anything about it because it was a magicjack issue. When I contacted magicjack they said you must have the same area code and prefix of the caller for it to be local for the caller. This does not make any sense.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ewilcox1971 wrote:
When I contacted magicjack they said you must have the same area code and prefix of the caller for it to be local for the caller. This does not make any sense.

You've already been told that you shouldn't believe the knuckleheads in the Philippines to know anything about US telephone charges, especially for service providers they don't support.

Mark
murphy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject:

My house has two different area codes assigned to it. The land line provider is Verizon. 23 prefixes from one area code and 16 prefixes from the other area code are my local calling area. All other prefixes in either area code are toll calls. All dialing is 10 digit and has been for at least 10 years. Area code number 3 has already been assigned but is not in use yet. The old rules about what is local and long distance no longer apply.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:

To determine what constitutes a local call according to the ILEC (Verizon, AT&T, etc.), go to Local Calling Guide and enter the other person's Area Code and exchange in the first two boxes and your MJ's Area Code and exchange in the second two boxes. Press the Submit key and wait for the result. There will be some technical information about V/H coordinates, but what you care about is at the very bottom of the answer box. It will say if the POTS carrier in the originating area considers this to be a local call. Aside from actually calling that phone company, this is the most reliable information available.

Of course, if the person calling you is subscribed to a different phone company (a CLEC, a cell phone company, a VoIP company, etc.) or a different service plan (Lifeline service, Measured Rate service, Extended Metro Service, etc.), the local calling area may be larger or smaller than the normal local calling area for that locale's ILEC.

For example, a call between Area Codes from 610-253 (Easton, PA) to 908-235 (Phillipsburg, NJ) is a local call. A call within the same Area Code from 585-234 (Rochester, NY) to 585-300 (Batavia, NY) is not a local call.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject:

And just to add a bit more fuel to the fire, at one time some of the states had just one area code (e.g., Maryland's 301, New Jersey 201, New Mexico 505).

When all of Maryland was 301, it was split up into various calling regions. For example there was the Washington (DC) calling region and the Baltimore calling region to name two. All the exchanges listed in the Washington calling region could make local calls to all the other exchanges in that region with 301 area codes. They could also make local calls to Washington DC's 202 area code. And they could also make local calls to close-in Northern Virginia 703 area code exchanges - but not all of 703. They could NOT call Baltimore calling area exchanges as a local call even though they too had 301 area codes.

Eventually, Maryland was split into the 301 and 410 area codes geographically. For the most part, what was the 301 Washington calling area kept the 301 area code plus other parts of the state as far as 150 miles to the west. The Baltimore calling area (and many other parts of the state) changed over to the 410 area code. We now also have non-geographic over-lay area codes (224 for DC and 443 for Baltimore) just to make it more interesting.

But it all comes down to the calling areas defined by the local Public Service commission. For example, my home to office is not a local call. My home is in the Baltimore calling region but can also call Annapolis. My office is suburban and not really in either the Washington or Baltimore calling regions - it sort of overlaps each a bit. My old house was 5 miles away and it was a local call to the office. Frustrating and strange. No wonder people get angry over these things.

Sigh - what the telco's do to make a buck!
ewilcox1971
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject:

The local calling guide said it is a local call and AT&T said it is a local call. But when the other person calls it says it is long distance and AT&T says it is a magicjack issue. I contacted magicjack and the said the call had to originate from the same area code and same prefix. Surely it just has to local for AT&T. I guess the question is does the orginating call have to have the same area code and prefix or just in the local calling area for AT&T?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:

ewilcox1971 wrote:
But when the other person calls it says it is long distance and AT&T says it is a magicjack issue. I guess the question is does the orginating call have to have the same area code and prefix or just in the local calling area for AT&T?

I receive calls all the time from different prefixes within the same area code (even different area codes in the same metro area). The callers aren't charged for the call.

Are you sure your caller doesn't have a special form of AT&T service? Something that limits their ability to make local calls in return for lower monthly costs?

Mark
ewilcox1971
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Well this person does have a block on there phone to prevent long distance calling. Maybe it is not working properly. I will try to get someone else to try from the local calling area and see what happens. I wonder why magicjack would say it had to be the same prefix?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:

ewilcox1971 wrote:
I wonder why magicjack would say it had to be the same prefix?

This is the third time you've been told not to listen to what chat support has to say on this topic. They are in the Philippines, making about a nickle to answer your question. They have no idea what a different US telco provider charges their customers. They'll tell you whatever you need to hear to get you off chat, so they can move on to the next nickle.

In this case, that's confirming your experience so you'll go away saying "well, MJ told me it's supposed to be this way."

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject:

hsweiss wrote:
All the exchanges listed in the Washington calling region could make local calls to all the other exchanges in that region with 301 area codes. They could also make local calls to Washington DC's 202 area code. And they could also make local calls to close-in Northern Virginia 703 area code exchanges - but not all of 703.
It was more interesting than that. Back then, there were no exchange overlaps in the Washington calling area. A Washington phone exchange number would be in only one of the three Area Codes, so that all of greater Washington could enjoy 7-digit dialing. On top of that, callers from outside Washington (I worked in New York at the time) could place a call to any Washington area number using any of the three Area Codes and the call would go through.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:

mberlant wrote:
hsweiss wrote:
All the exchanges listed in the Washington calling region could make local calls to all the other exchanges in that region with 301 area codes. They could also make local calls to Washington DC's 202 area code. And they could also make local calls to close-in Northern Virginia 703 area code exchanges - but not all of 703.
It was more interesting than that. Back then, there were no exchange overlaps in the Washington calling area. A Washington phone exchange number would be in only one of the three Area Codes, so that all of greater Washington could enjoy 7-digit dialing. On top of that, callers from outside Washington (I worked in New York at the time) could place a call to any Washington area number using any of the three Area Codes and the call would go through.

I didn't know that! But of course that had to be the case since we only used 7-digit dialing for all calls within the DC calling region.
vicky3278
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Which Headset or telephone is best 2 use with Magic Jack??

I would like to know which headset or telephone works best when using Magic Jack? I have a GE and Uniden telephone 5.8Ghz and a headset I bought from Walmart 2 use 2 plug into my computer and I have Windows XP operating System.

It's just that my voice fades in and out and the party on the other end doesn't hear me very well or it's not clear and both telephones are very new phones. Are there any suggestions about increasing the quality of Magic Jack so I can use the service and feel good about it?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Unless you wish to mess with changing your audio device inside the MJ softphone, you would be better off using an earset or headset that is compatible with one of your telephones. By default, MJ delivers the audio to the RJ-11 jack on the dongle. If you want to divert it to your PC's headphone you need to do that from within the MJ softphone.

Is this what you are trying to do?
vicky3278
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: MJ Softphone

What is the mj softphone? I have never heard of that before. How do I do that from within the mj?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject:

Please take some time to read some of the previous postings in this forum. You will need the basics to get along.

There are three components of the MJ system you care about. There is the network (everything that is not in your hand), the dongle and the softphone. The dongle has two halves, the voice processor/telephone interface and a file cabinet.

The file cabinet half installs the softphone in your computer and then stores your address book and some other bits of control information. The program that runs on your PC and actually does the work is an SJPhone softphone, customized to work "smoothly" and work "only" with the MJ service.

A quick Search for "softphone" will give you a better idea of how the softphone fits into the MJ picture.
DOGLOOP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject:

What can you do if your area code is not available? I had to choose an area code close to mine but it is showing up as long distance. So I guess anyone who calls me will be charged long distance even though we live in the same town. This doesn't seem right.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject:

As you have realized by now, MJ is at the very bottom of the price vs. service curve. One of the things that keeps their price about 1/10 of everyone else is that they don't have phone numbers in as many Rate Centers as those who charge 10 times as much. The only unfair part of that, in my opinion, is that they do not allow potential customers to see their list of Rate Centers until after purchase. On the other hand, if this is a deal breaker for you you have 30 days to return the MJ for a refund.

If you decide to keep your MJ you can do what many Canadians do. Tell your callers to let the phone ring 3 times and hang up. You look at the Caller ID and call the person back instead of answering the ringing phone.
DOGLOOP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the fast reply. Well I will be returning it, not going through that kind of trouble. Thanks again!
DOGLOOP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the fast reply. Well I will be returning it, not going through that kind of trouble. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: