Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Looked so easy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezie132001
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Looked so easy...

I like to think of myself as a relatively intelligent person, but I had myself and my two teenage sons in total confusion trying to figure out how to use our household cordless phones with Magic Jack! We plugged our home phone line into the Magic Jack and then the Magic Jack into the USB port on our computer, which worked fine, but how do you then have your cordless home phones work with the Magic Jack?

Please try not to bash me too much for not understanding what sounds like a simple process..lol

Thanks
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked so easy...

weezie132001 wrote:
We plugged our home phone line into the Magic Jack and then the Magic Jack into the USB port on our computer, which worked fine, but how do you then have your cordless home phones work with the Magic Jack? Thanks

Hi,
Perhaps a confusion around terms here, but what do you mean by "home phone line"? Or did you mean "home phone handset"? Or do you mean you ran an telephone extension wire between your MJ and your wall jack (i.e., the home phone line)?

Careful if you've connected your MJ direct to your land line home phone wiring. You landline has voltage on it and it'll fry your MJ. You have to disconnect your home phone wiring completely from your landline telephone company's wiring.

Assuming you're not connected to your home phone wiring, you can use a phone line splitter to plug your landline phone handset and a cordless into the MJ.

Last edited by tony on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked so easy...

weezie132001 wrote:
I like to think of myself as a relatively intelligent person, but I had myself and my two teenage sons in total confusion trying to figure out how to use our household cordless phones with Magic Jack! We plugged our home phone line into the Magic Jack and then the Magic Jack into the USB port on our computer, which worked fine, but how do you then have your cordless home phones work with the Magic Jack?

Please try not to bash me too much for not understanding what sounds like a simple process..lol

Thanks

Just plug your cordless base into the MJ. Then all its associated handsets will ring...
By plugging your "home phone line into the MJ" I assume you mean you ran a cord from the MJ to a wall jack? Yes that can work in some situations, BUT BUT BUT please make sure you unplug your Tel Co line from the outside distribution box as the ring voltage can and will destroy your MJ...

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
weezie132001
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much, that makes sense now! That's exactly what I was trying to do, figure out how to plug my base unit into the Magic Jack. Have a great day!
Louise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: