Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Looking for quickest, easiest way to install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cork1958
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Looking for quickest, easiest way to install

Hello all,
New to the forums, but have been reading up on some of this stuff.

My MJ should be arriving in the mail shortly according to the tracker info from my e-mail.

My question is this:
What is the quickest and easiest way to install and configure MJ, with as few services running as possible?

My setup is going to be like this (hopfully). I have 3 cordless phones, 2 of which are actually plugged into phone jacks, and 1 corded phone here. Will all phones ring still? If not, how do I make them work correctly?

Thanks for any and all help.

Edit:
Man! The mail is fast today. 3 minutes after posting, my MJ arrived!

Last edited by cork1958 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuhntech
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject:

You will just have to try and see. If it won't ring all of your phones, you may need a powered USB hub. Other than that, the only way to install is to plug it in.
cork1958
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah,
Was considering the powered usb thing. If I use one of those, I SHOULD be able to use MJ nad NOT have to have the computer on all the time, hopefully, right?

Thank you
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I not a guru on this but here is how I have my phones: I have DECT 6.0 phones made by Panasonic. I have one base phone plugged into MJ. I have an additional 5 phones, cordless, throughout the house. None of the phones are plugged into a jack. The phones do plug into house current to recharge the AAA batteries. So six phones, one MJ connection and no wires running anywhere.

In reality, I have one of the six phones plugged into MJ and computer. The other five phones are plugged into Nettalk DUO via my router (on 24/7). This way I have two outside lines. Nice when wife and I both need a phone.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:

cork1958 wrote:
Yeah,
Was considering the powered usb thing. If I use one of those, I SHOULD be able to use MJ nad NOT have to have the computer on all the time, hopefully, right?

Thank you

Uh no. A powered USB has NOTHING to do with keeping the PC on all the time for your MJ. As it stands you HAVE to have your PC on for your MJ to work. And that means NOT in sleep mode or hibernate mode either.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cork1958
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
cork1958 wrote:
Yeah,

Thank you

Uh no. A powered USB has NOTHING to do with keeping the PC on all the time for your MJ. As it stands you HAVE to have your PC on for your MJ to work. And that means NOT in sleep mode or hibernate mode either.

Joe Sica

Actually,
That is what I thought, but was hoping like heck for the other way around!!

Here goes plugging it in. Back in a few.
cork1958
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:

All installed, registered and all that good stuff.

Just called myself. No phones are ringing. Where do I start now?

Edit:
What about the dsl filters on phone line? I tried unplugging the one on the main phone line, Internet suddenly got real slow. Plugged it back in and fast again.

Edit 2:
Even with the 231 area code (Muskegon, MI), this is still going to be long distance for everyone (it's going through Traverse City, MI)? Ton of noise on line also.
cork1958
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject:

OK. I guess the long distance thing ISN'T long distance, just have to dial area code first, it appears.

I have switched lines around so phone upstairs rings, but neither of the phones downstairs ring. HELP!!
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject:

You can't plug MJ into a live phone jack.

You have to change the cable pairs the MJ will be using on the house wiring to keep it separate from your DSL connection.

There are actually many ways to solve this, but you may need to seek help from a knowledgeable friend or professional.

In the meantime, you may just want to use a multi-jack splitter plugged into your MJ to plug in all your phones there (do not connect MJ to the wall jack).
cork1958
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
You can't plug MJ into a live phone jack.

You have to change the cable pairs the MJ will be using on the house wiring to keep it separate from your DSL connection.

There are actually many ways to solve this, but you may need to seek help from a knowledgeable friend or professional.

In the meantime, you may just want to use a multi-jack splitter plugged into your MJ to plug in all your phones there (do not connect MJ to the wall jack).

Nope, never had the MJ plugged into a live phone line, even the on the first try.

I did the live chat thing with 2 agents. First one was obviously reading from a script and although I did what she said to do, I knew that wasn't going to do any good. She transferred me to a top 10% agent, what ever that is, who had me do a couple other things, that I could tell weren't going to do any good also.

After all that, when second agent asked me if there was anything else she could do, I asked if the MJ phone number was going to be long distance for everyone who calls me. Gave her the area code and prefix of my area and the same for the MJ I had. Sure enough, long distance for everyone! Sure wish I could've found this out before ordering and going though these changes!

MJ is already on it's way back to West Palm Beach, FL., well before they get a chance to rip me on the credit card.

Thanks for the help people.
nitemare
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject:

Get a real ISP provider that uses CABLE and not DSL. DSL is your problem.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:

nitemare wrote:

Uh why?? I have DSL now for 5 years and with my MJ for over 2 years. ZERO problems.. So do some research first before you make a dumb statement of which you know nothing.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikefahy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:

nitemare wrote:
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:39 am

My grandmother told me nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:

mikefahy wrote:
nitemare wrote:
Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:39 am

My grandmother told me nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Especially if you feed a gremlin.
mikefahy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:

?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:

mikefahy wrote:
?

A reference to the movie Gremlins. They were told NOT to feed it after midnight...

Joe Sica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: