Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Looking for Router with VoIP phone adapter recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooney
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Looking for Router with VoIP phone adapter recommendations

Looking for a cheap Router with VoIP phone adapter that works wirh MJ....Any good recommendations are appreciated.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Router with VoIP phone adapter recommendatio

gooney wrote:
Looking for a cheap Router with VoIP phone adapter that works wirh MJ....Any good recommendations are appreciated.

I have the Linksys WRT54GP2 Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports

If you buy the unlocked (WRT54GP2-NA) version then you can set it to use most VOIP service including MJ when they offer BYOD (or now if you risk MJ banning your MJ account if they find out you're using ATA device with MJ) Laughing Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:

LikeMagic,

I was going to ask why they would care if you used ATA, but then it downed on me that you would not have to see the commercials in the softphone and that might tick them off.

But of course we all know that you don't really have that equipment and even if you didn't would use it in violation of the TOS. "Cough", "Cough" Laughing

But thanks for the tip because I have no such morality problems.
dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Has there been any cases where MJ has cut off a number because they found out that person was using an ATA?

any confirmed cases?
seashores
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject:

What do you mean about commerials in the softphone??? I just received my magicjack a week ago and the left side of the softphone is blank and has been blank from the start. I'm in Canada so I don't know if that is the reason but I have nothing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Dan,

No one has been cut off as far as I know. I have never seen any post claiming such a thing happened. But there are plenty of post in which people openly admit to doing things that I am sure MagicJack would prefer we didn't. Smile I am also positive they monitor this site. So if they were hot on any of these issues they wouldn't have to look very far to know exactly what we the endusers are doing or attempting to do. Actually at the moment in their infancy they probably appreciate all the volunteered TOS work-arounds, save them from having to find them on their own.

seashores,

Hmmm... I have never heard anyone mention a blank advertisement window. At the moment it is not advertisement in the true sense but MagicJack Update, Testing and International calling notifications.
gooney

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject:

HolmanGT wrote:
I am also positive they monitor this site.

Now youre scaring me lol... oh well ill just leave it running on my old laptop (sitting in the closet for 2 years) with the monitor closed... this action does not violate MJ's TOS right? or am i wrong? I guess ill just stay away from the ATA+MJ option for now if it violates the tos.

Anyways thanks for the tips guys!!!!
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Yep, they monitor every damn thing we say here...at least Richie is registered so he has to be checking daily....even though even I cant keep up with you guys these days....
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject:

HolmanGT wrote:
LikeMagic,

I was going to ask why they would care if you used ATA, but then it downed on me that you would not have to see the commercials in the softphone and that might tick them off.

But of course we all know that you don't really have that equipment and even if you didn't would use it in violation of the TOS. "Cough", "Cough" Laughing

But thanks for the tip because I have no such morality problems.

I don't use the above VOIP router with MJ, I use it with FWD (FreeWorldDialup) see my .sig Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm an honest person and would rather pay extra money when MJ offers BYOD than violate the MJ's TOS Rolling Eyes Laughing Shocked Cool

Besides, MJ already saves me tons of money from my local PSTN's LD service for which I'm very thanksful. I tell all my relatives/friends about MJ, I'm sure MJ likes that Laughing Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject:

kumar,

I also wouldn't believe they give one hoot what we do. The Geek element is invaluable for gaining field information but our numbers are relatively low. The amount of us that may figure some work around is so small relatively speaking that we are more valuable for information than attempting to squash us or defeat some of the things we do. Now come up with something simple like swap two wires and Eureka no more commercials they would probably immediately fix that. But buy a special router, unlock it, reprogram it and use it with MJ so you don't have to have it connected to your computer. I would be willing to bet that of all the MJ units sold now and in the future there is only the standard 8-10% of the end users that would even consider such an adventure. i.e. to us it is like come here little boy, want some candy. Present that scenario to my Sister and Daughter whom I purchased MJ(s) for and they wouldn't be interested if you paid them.

And if your listening MJ and I am sure you are because a company with a radical game plan like yours has to be mostly Geek at heart, you know that about 72 hours after we find a back-door we tire of it and move on to something else anyway. So we are no threat to your bottom line anyway.

Right about here I am sure everyone expects me to plug in a laughing smiley - truth is I am not joking and honestly believe what I have written albeit a little tongue-n-cheek.

PS - Guy if you don't think they listen in ask anyone that hung-out on DSLReports Linksys forum before Cisco bought them out. Linksys Engineers would drop by and give out pre-release and Beta firmware - If you want to run something thru the tourture test toss it in the middle of a group of Hacker/Geeks and stand back. You will get more testing for your money than if you hired a hundred Software Test Engineers. "And that's the truth".

HolmanGT AKA Mr. Opinionated, diehard Hacker/Geek from birth. Wink
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject:

If all you want is to eliminate MJ's ads, it's not that hard and MJ couldn't even find out. Remember, if you have a router or software firewall or ad-blocking proxy server, etc. you could use these tools to filter out any/all incoming ads including MJ's ads which is http-based Laughing Laughing

Hint: You'll have to find out the URLs which feed the ads to the MJ's softphone then add those URLs to the filter list Laughing Laughing

Last edited by LikeMagic on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject:

HolmanGT wrote:

No one has been cut off as far as I know. I have never seen any post claiming such a thing happened.

Have you seen Kumar's post?
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post3693.html?highlight=#3693
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject:

@gooney: I would consider taking it "out of the closet" if I were you, reason here
gooney wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
I am also positive they monitor this site.

Now youre scaring me lol... oh well ill just leave it running on my old laptop (sitting in the closet for 2 years) with the monitor closed... this action does not violate MJ's TOS right? or am i wrong? I guess ill just stay away from the ATA+MJ option for now if it violates the tos.

Anyways thanks for the tips guys!!!!

@LikeMagic: Yes, wouldn't it be nice if they gave the referral credits given that many of us have referred 100's of people (literally).
LikeMagic wrote:

I don't use the above VOIP router with MJ, I use it with FWD (FreeWorldDialup) see my .sig Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm an honest person and would rather pay extra money when MJ offers BYOD than violate the MJ's TOS Rolling Eyes Laughing Shocked Cool

Besides, MJ already saves me tons of money from my local PSTN's LD service for which I'm very thanksful. I tell all my relatives/friends about MJ, I'm sure MJ likes that Laughing Laughing
gooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject:

testing123 wrote:
@gooney: I would consider taking it "out of the closet" if I were you, reason here

What i meant was i had this laptop sitting in the closet for 2 years and never used it... I took it out and now running MJ on it plugged into the wall... and no i dont use the laptop batteries Wink
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject:

gooney wrote:
testing123 wrote:

What i meant was i had this laptop sitting in the closet for 2 years and never used it... I took it out and now running MJ on it plugged into the wall... and no i dont use the laptop batteries Wink

Dood, you're such a dweeb ...

Welcome to the club. Razz
leons
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:

People are mentioning that doing this might violate the TOS. BUT, that means some ARE doing it? Dis I miss the process somewhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: