magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost all my contacts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgash
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Lost all my contacts Reply with quote

I just rebooted my computer and when magicJack loaded, it said "Contacts is empty". The call I made are still available, but there are no labels in the list. Can I get my contacts list back again?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost all my contacts Reply with quote

kgash wrote:
I just rebooted my computer and when magicJack loaded, it said "Contacts is empty". The call I made are still available, but there are no labels in the list. Can I get my contacts list back again?

It's stored on the "PHONE" drive which appears in your drive manager after plugging in the USB device. You have to "explore" it to avoid the autorun from kicking in if you just click the drive.

My guess is that you don't use the "safely remove" thing in the taskbar before unplugging the MJ device. I think that inevitably leads to corrupted files on the writable portion of the device. I don't think most people realize the MJ device is writable. And, MJ doesn't help this situation when they don't provide an "Exit" function on the softphone (to unmount the device for you). And, they don't detect that you unplugged it ungracefully (they just exit the softphone with no warning).

Unless you were backing up that PHONE drive, I don't think there's anything you can do. Unless the file is still there and you can repair it somehow.

Mark
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search, you will find some posts earlier this year that show 1.) how you can back up your address files, and 2.) IMO, more importantly, quickly and easily add or modify the XML file where they are stored.

I want to say the information came from Stewart, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. This may not be the solution you're looking for, but it may help.
kgash
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick replies. I guess I did remove MJ from the port incorrectly, but it seems I have a problem. When MJ is plugged into a USP port, it will not boot. It seems to get locked up immediately and I cannot even get into BIOS. So I have been unplugging MJ when I shut down and replugging it in when booted. I did a search a while back and found no help on this topic.
Thanks again,
Ken
MagicHack
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
If you do a search, you will find some posts earlier this year that show 1.) how you can back up your address files, and 2.) IMO, more importantly, quickly and easily add or modify the XML file where they are stored.

I want to say the information came from Stewart, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. This may not be the solution you're looking for, but it may help.

The addressbook is stored on the magicJack drive under:
Code:
G:\magicJack\AddressBook.xml

(Substitute Drive G for your proper drive)

And Darkman90808 was right, Stewart did post about this a while back.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgash wrote:
It seems to get locked up immediately and I cannot even get into BIOS.

Maybe your BIOS "boot order" specifies USB? My laptop will hang on a USB device that's not bootable if I set my bios to try and boot from USB if a device is found.

If you power down and remove the MJ device it shouldn't be a problem. But, just pulling it out while it's powered on could be a problem. I think you should use "safely remove" in the taskbar. Like I said, it's not your fault. MJ doesn't do all it could to warn people.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: