magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Contact List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrPacman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Lost Contact List Reply with quote

Good Day all�

I�ve been using magicJack for a few weeks now with no noticeable problems to report at all� Very happy with the product indeed�

However last night my system ran its weekly scheduled virus scan on the system (AVG Professional).

Normally I remove the MJ from the system, however last night it was left in place and active.

This morning when I looked at the Soft phone dialer, I notice that my entire contact list had been removed.

My system never has developed a virus, nor do I suspect that one was present last night� (No quarantined files showing anywhere) nor do I suspect that there is any form of a virus on the MJ...

Anyone have any clues why this may have happened?

Regards,
dgs
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue why, but if it was AVG it should be in the quarantine section and you should be able to restore it.

It normally lives here:

E:\magicJack\AddressBook.xml

Where "E" is the first MagicJack drive. On my system it is E & F on your it could be anything i.e. "G" & "H" so if your is G & H look in G.

PS - it is a good idea to back this file up once in awhile, there are several things that can kill it for you.
DrPacman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
No clue why, but if it was AVG it should be in the quarantine section and you should be able to restore it.

It normally lives here:

E:\magicJack\AddressBook.xml

Where "E" is the first MagicJack drive. On my system it is E & F on your it could be anything i.e. "G" & "H" so if your is G & H look in G.

PS - it is a good idea to back this file up once in awhile, there are several things that can kill it for you.

Thanks for the pointers�

I have to admit it has me stumped indeed� No sign of the file in AVG nor my recycle bin either� Just gone poof�

Funny thing was, like most curious cat�s I was looking at the file structure on the MJ key itself, and made a mental note to make a archival copy of all the configuration files just in case of such a catastrophe� too bad I didn�t get around to doing such a process before I lost the file� Bet I�m going to do just that when I reconfigure the contact list� Laughing

Regards,
dgs
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrPacman,

Sorry you lost it I know it is a real pain to rebuild. But I am glad to see I am not the only one with the strange backup philosophy, I too usually back up important stuff the day after it disappears. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: