Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lost or broken MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lida
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Lost or broken MJ

The web site says get a number for life.What is the course of action if #1 MJ is stolen ? #2 Current MJ breaks?
MagicHack
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost or broken MJ

lida wrote:
The web site says get a number for life.What is the course of action if #1 MJ is stolen ? #2 Current MJ breaks?

I think it is one number for the life of the magicJack. Break your jack, and you are SOL... Though, you can try asking "tech support"...
lida
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject:

No thanks on the CS they will tell me to download the updater and then reinstall, total useless idea. Anybody else input, ideas on this? No verbage on mj website
about mj's no longer working and your ph# or if stolen can I keep same ph# and change password etc with new mj replacement?
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject:

If you needed to replace your MJ, I'd think that the phone number you have is yours assigned to your account with MJ. If you installed a new MJ, I believe your software will pop up and you just have to enter your existing MJ number, not apply for a new one.

When I installed mine for the first time, I remember seeing a box where you could enter your existing MJ number or complete the reg as a new user and be assigned a complete new number after you chose your area code.

you could test this by uninstalling the installed software for MJ on your system.

If it is stolen, you are SOL and will have to buy a new one. If it breaks (physical damage) and you didn't buy the extended warranty, you will have to buy another one. If it just went defective (bad circuit or something) you may be able to get a replacement by contacting them and getting an RMA, but you may still have to pay for the replacement. Also, as their TOS states, you have to pay for the shipping for exchange or return of the unit.
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject:

They offer an extended warranty? I must have missed that option.
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject:

strndedinalska wrote:
They offer an extended warranty? I must have missed that option.

Yeah, unless they removed that option.....it was during your reg process where you could buy more years, etc was an option to extend the warranty......I didn't choose to do so since the device was cheap to begin with.
cowilson
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject:

I had a problem recently with my MJ and they sent me a replacement. When I plugged the replacement into my computer it was like I just bought a new MJ. It promps you to enter an email address and password, so I entered my existing email address and password and it recognized that that account already existed so it asked if I wanted to create a new account or choose a new phone number for the existing account, so I chose a new number. So you cannot keep your old number if you buy a new MJ or if you get a replacement. And that really sucks because I was using this as my permanent phone and now I have to change my number everywhere (credit cards, banking, friends, etc...) Crying or Very sad
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:

cowilson you should of contacted tech support to see if they could save your old number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cowilson
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:

I just started using my new replacement MJ two days ago so I think I will talk with tech support to see if I can keep my old number. I haven't changed my new number any where yet. Thanks for the thought. I'll give a follow up post and let you know what happens.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject:

cowilson wrote:
I just started using my new replacement MJ two days ago so I think I will talk with tech support to see if I can keep my old number. I haven't changed my new number any where yet. Thanks for the thought. I'll give a follow up post and let you know what happens.

One thing you might consider is to forward your old number to your new number You can do that via the MJ website.

Just thinkin'. . . as usual far too much.
cowilson
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject:

cowilson wrote:
I had a problem recently with my MJ and they sent me a replacement. When I plugged the replacement into my computer it was like I just bought a new MJ. It promps you to enter an email address and password, so I entered my existing email address and password and it recognized that that account already existed so it asked if I wanted to create a new account or choose a new phone number for the existing account, so I chose a new number. So you cannot keep your old number if you buy a new MJ or if you get a replacement. And that really sucks because I was using this as my permanent phone and now I have to change my number everywhere (credit cards, banking, friends, etc...) Crying or Very sad

Well, after contacting tech support they said the only way I could have kept my old number with the new magicJack is to have contacted tech support before registering the new magicJack. So now that it's already registered I cannot keep the old number. So maybe this will help somebody else who receives a replacement magicJack and wants to keep their old number.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Not cool!

Maybe if MJ employees are reading the forum they will make note and make changes to procedures. It seems as if you should be able to keep the old number. (I bet there is a way, but it just has not come up often enough for them to work it into tech support scripts.)

Just thinkin' . . .as usual, way too much.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Wait I do not get it. Is it broken or is it lost?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: MJ replacement

How and where did you get a replacement? Do you have an address? I would like to send mine back and can't find a physical address for magicJack.

Thanks.
Freddie

cowilson wrote:
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ replacement

[email protected] wrote:
How and where did you get a replacement? Do you have an address? I would like to send mine back and can't find a physical address for magicJack.

Thanks.
Freddie

You can't just send it back. You need to get on the customer service chat and convince them to take it back. If you're within your first 30 days, that won't be an issue and they will give you the procedure and the address. If you are past the 30 days, you will need to do a lot of chatting to get them to take it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: