magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loud oneway siren soundbyte when trying to dial 850 acode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robertr333
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Loud oneway siren soundbyte when trying to dial 850 acode Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post, but I should let you all know that I've had a Magicjack for the last 2-03 years, and I have relied on this forum extensively for help when I needed it. Thanks!
So, here's the thing. I had been using magic just fine in Ocala,Florida (352) where I used to live. I had a local number for the area, same pc, everything was fine. I moved recently, and kept the same number. Again, everything fine, made calls, got calls, same pc, a-ok. 2 days ago, I changed my number to the local code here, which is 850. At first, everything was good. Now, this morning when I pick up the phone and try to dial out, there is a VERY sound "siren" soundbyte that plays when I try to push any numbers to dial out. The siren sounds exactly like a bank's burglar alarm, and is almost impossible to hear through. I call it a soundbyte because the sound plays for about 3 seconds, fades out, then starts up again, never stopping. When I first pick up the phone, I get a dial tone and no siren, but when I try to dial, it cuts loose. NONE of the functionality is gone, and I can make as many calls as I want to, no problem. When I connect, even though I hear the sound, the other person cannot. So, the noise is only heard from my end. One thing someone mentioned to me is a buzzing, but that may have nothing to do with the siren. Help! I got a great number, and I have no idea how to deal with this. My internet is through Comcast, and there is a house phone that has a local number and uses this internet, as well (voip). Do you think it's something comcast set up to prevent people from using a non-comcast voip? What should I do to try to correct this?
xscoutx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi--I'm not really answering your question, I know, and I'm sorry about that! But...my area code is 850 ... I've had my MJ for about 2 months now and have had no problems at all. Best of luck!!
Robertr333
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Should have replied sooner Reply with quote

But I was watching this topic to see if anyone else was having this issue, because it seemed so odd. I did google searches of different kinds and it wasn't reported even once. The only results I got regarding sirens where just people talking about hooking up alarm systems and things like that.
I restarted my computer and the problem went away entirely.
HOWEVER. This condition had absolute signs of being programmed in in some way. It did the same thing every time, for the same reasons. I installed mozilla thunderbird the exact same day before this started. It was version 7.0.1. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1.
I also know that telecommincation streams like comcast divide up the data flow in broadband to several different channels. My home's data service is comcast broadband, and we get voip from them as well. My suspicion is that the home as a whole was using enough internet that I oveflowed into comcast's voip stream with my magicjack call and because I was using a voip service (mj) to make the call, a voip, the system sent me an audible message that something was wrong. I say this because the alarm was DEFINITELY a soundbyte, so SOMETHING SOMEWHERE had to be playing that soundbyte. I eleiminated MJ, because absolutely noone has reported this before. I'm left with the telephone company, and they have voip service on the same broadband my computer uses.
A different theory I have is that somewhere, waaaaaaaay up the trunkline, every person's internet and phones are being monitored by the phone company or government. Somehow, I was able to make and recieve phonecalls outside the monitoring spectrum, and the "operator" was somehow detecting it. Not able to prevent it, but detecting all the same. Therefore the DEAFENING ALARM. I say this because it was only audible from my side. Impossible to reproduce because a person wouyld literally have to come to my house and use my phone to hear the noise. I could record it, but still there would be no real way to reproduce it somewhere else. Hope this information helps.
danjayh
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just wanted to let you know that packet switched networks, by definition, do not have "cross talk" like old analog networks. There is absolutely no way that you could "overflow" your internet connection - when you attempt to send some data, your cable modem checks if you're under your transmission rate cap, and if you are, it sends it. If not, it waits, and your call will sound "choppy". Each block of data contains an the address of the recipient, and although blocks may be dropped in the case of an overloaded network, they are never combined. The most likely source of the sound you heard is a problem within the MJ audio stack - maybe the codec wasn't initialized correctly, or maybe there's a rare software bug that's so much of a corner case that nobody else has seen it, hard to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: