Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
love it or hate it? Can't get mine to work, ck this ouit!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

was your mj Easy to hook up>Or did you have problems?
vote 1 for easy 2 for problems!
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
vote 1 for love it, 2 for hate it !
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
vote 3 for I don't understand
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

cmfic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: love it or hate it? Can't get mine to work, ck this ouit!!!!

[font=Arial:31c0aee561] [/font:31c0aee561] [b][i]

I have had nothing but headaches with my MJ since I got it. The customer service is horrinble and to this day, is on my system, they tell me its working, yet not one call goes thru the mj and I finally had to sign up with my local phone co for a unlimited long distance package because the MJ was costing me a fortune in long distance calls that i was told were going thru my mj but weren't! can somebody please help me fix this thing and I want to know how many folks love this device and have no problems with it, and how many hate it and have nothing but troubles from it? 1 for love it, 2 for hate it!
sligg
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: love it or hate it? Can't get mine to work, ck this ouit

cmfic wrote:
[font=Arial:ac5e7e82ab] [/font:ac5e7e82ab] [b][i]

I have had nothing but headaches with my MJ since I got it. The customer service is horrinble and to this day, is on my system, they tell me its working, yet not one call goes thru the mj and I finally had to sign up with my local phone co for a unlimited long distance package because the MJ was costing me a fortune in long distance calls that i was told were going thru my mj but weren't! can somebody please help me fix this thing and I want to know how many folks love this device and have no problems with it, and how many hate it and have nothing but troubles from it? 1 for love it, 2 for hate it!

I have had MJ for over one year. It is the biggest piece of crap for use as a phone system and I used 5 different MJ's. The problems never let up and there are so many of them. I'm going to switch to Ooma at least they have great reviews and for a one time price of less than $250 I won't have to spend hours on Magic chat and be subject to all the lies they hit you with.
booyah5
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Ooma will survive.

I like MJ for what I get for the price, but I have had problems - mainly a wicked echo that just won't quit. My mom has the same problem. I get around it by using the *67 trick, but it's a pain, and it doesn't work for inbound calls. Not to mention the fact that it's unencrypted, so someone could ease drop if they could sniff your packets; I'd be leery about giving my credit card number over it.

So it's awesome for the price, but I'd never rely on it exclusively.
cmfic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Yp, I thought so! MAGIC CRAP should be the name..

I got suckered into buying ONE of these, and thank GOD it was ONLY one. I wrote an email to Dan- the creator, and now we'll see what his reply will be- IF he replies at all. I told him it's sad that you can't even send a person a set up manaul, or offer and provide a person with REAL customer service...and that how is a person supposed to KNOW the unit works when the customer service people tell you it is hooked up properly and then the PHONE co comes along and sends you a bill for ALL the long distance calls you made that you ASSUMED were not going to be there, because you spent HOURS AND hours ON THE INTERNET GOING OVER YOUR ENTIRE HOOK UP AND BEING TOLD IT WAS WORKING PROPERLY- GO AHEAD, MAKE YOUR CALLS. Guess who has to PAY for all those calls...on my paltry $729 a month disability!
Shame on you MAGIC JACK for jacking the $50 from my pocket and burying me in debt!

The poll is wrong by the way- it should read love it- top box, hate it bottom box- there should be 2 votes for HATE IT, not love it.

Do yourself a favor and forget about buying a magic crap and pay your local company a tad more to get unlimited long distance. It'll cost me an additional $90 a year, but let me tell you, I will KNOW I can talk as long as I want and thats the MOST I will ever pay is that small amount each month! And best of all- I can CALL my local phone company if there's ever a question or problem and they provide me with top notch service...They even sent me $50 gift card useable anywhere as a thank you for remaining one of their loyal customers, and to say Sorry for all the money MJ just cost me! magic jack won't do anything like that now will they????
ice cold beer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:

How do you botch a phpBB poll?! Shocked
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:

ice cold beer wrote:
How do you botch a phpBB poll?! Shocked

Cause he is a newbie to the forums,I suspect Smile

I really hate to hear about so many people having problems,Mine works pretty good 24/7 just once in awhile an incoming call will get trashed and I have to call the person back.

Running dedicated HP XE783 64Meg of RAM,XP with SP2 on cable 7MB internet. Very Happy
taflocks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:

MY 12 Y/O COUSIN WITH DOWNS SYNDROME WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THE M/J WITH NO PROBLEMS AND IT WORKS FINE FOR HIS MOM AND DAD
--

McCain supporters are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile
to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
cmfic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Tech Support...

I suspect your 12 yr old didn't have to deal with a modem connection, and a router box either to know HOW to hook it up.

after sending a letter to Dan from MJ, I rec'd a email from his lead tech, Richard. He called me personally, and went over my system and hook up. There was NO WAY my MJ would have worked since the phone we were using HAD to be plugged into my modem to run my computer. MJ doesn't come with instructions that tell you that "if your phone is plugged into a modem and router- that you MUST plug another phone into the back of your PC and then plug that phone directly into the wall - THEN you an use that phone ONLY to send and recieve calls using MJ! All calls made using the phone connected to the modem WILL run thru your phone company, and you WILL be billed for them".

Now had I gotten a manual of some sort-explaining this as simply as I just did, none of my problems would have occurred. I am going to plug my other phone into the MJ as instructed, and if it works as well as I am told it will, I will be estatic. I Will owe MJ Co an apology, but given the problems I experienced and all the BS I went through....I feel I had the right to state how I honestly felt. Also, I rec'd the MJ in April, and it's now Sept, and I am just NOW going to be able to use it for the first time- And Richard took care of my lost time for me too- so I must admit that although I had to kick and scream to get some results, Once I finally got their atention, they stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. AND...they are attempting to make a manual because of all the problems that DO or CAN occur with MJ.

And how do you screw up a poll? Yep- I'm a newbie and that says it all- and I'm a REDHEAD NOT a blonde...

Once I make sure my problems are over, I will have to come back and do some major apologizing and remove the poll....
wrenchead3
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Not a good product at all !!

The concept is excellent. The MJ itself is crap. Yes the echo can be fixed by the *67 but like stated it does not fix the inbound calls. The delay in the time from when you speak until the other end recieves it is long enough to make it all but useless to use. As you speak you try to correct your self and then the other end tries to talk and you already speaking again, the convo is broken up to enjoy. Something as basic as a telephone call should not be frustrating. The customer service for MJ is beyond horrible. When a customer speaks to a service department it should not feel like your bothering them nor should they make you feel as if you are the problem and it is most certainly not their product. I am very happy that I only purchased 1 of these as I had plans to buy many for my family. I very seldom use it, maybe 3 times in 3 months that I have had it and my wife used it once and cut the call short to use the land line. She will not use it at all. I dont blame her. So at this point I am out $40, we still use our land line, buy calling cards and everytime I look at the jack I begin to feel angry again because of the way customer service has treated me. Not a product to purchase in my opinion. yes this is just my opinion but I see that i am not alone. They should really be looking at the company and the unit.
wrenchead3
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject:

taflocks wrote:
MY 12 Y/O COUSIN WITH DOWNS SYNDROME WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THE M/J WITH NO PROBLEMS AND IT WORKS FINE FOR HIS MOM AND DAD
--

Thats all and nice but you can't simply ignore all the people that have problems with them, me being one of them. It has nothing at all to do with installing it, it has to do with the unit itself. Not to many peeps are complaining about the install, the complaints are about how it works, or should I say doesn't work. Lose the tude and read a little more buddy.
devinmccloud
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject:

My review is based on the three days I have had it. My dream was to rid myself of Verizons death grip monthly bill of $60 a month. I live in a apt. with utilities paid. I don't need to call a million people just a few family and friends. I was skeptical at first because all the negative feed back but naively bought it. At this point(3) days in I can make calls but can't receive any calls. I have tried every thing pay phones, landlines, cell phones ect. No incoming phone calls. Tech support had me go threw 3 different people before I was told they would check it out and call back...so far no word on the issue. I am very PC savvy A+ certified, MCSE! With that said I would not recommend this to anyone. Why, most people have little patients to sit on chat with techs with IQ of 85 for hours and deal with a product that works for some and not for others. People expect a product that works out of the box, not one that take hours of tech support help. I laughed when I read people needed to ask for tech support. But then after hours of trying to get it to work through the router, firewall and unplugging it all and running it straight threw the modem I had to cave to tech support too. Why would you, it should be simple enough to get this to work. Half the time the site is blaming the phone when in reality its the software and MJ that is the problem. I think the unit its self is full of bugs! So for those that do getting it working 100% count yourself lucky!
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Okay...
The millions of us that have gotten it to work will count ourselves lucky.
devinmccloud
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Well then maybe those that got it working can confirm the states that it is working in. That way we can figure out where the problems are. I'm in North Dakota and in coming calls all get an error that the call can't be connected. Out going calls all work... I am still waiting to tech support to call me back. They are obviously busy with others that have problems. Millions is vague number considering your one person and this forum has tons of posts with problems. I am sure it works for many, that wasn't the point. The point was that a product should work for everyone the same! Not just some....non-sense!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: