magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new2MJ
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Got the MJ to test for thirty days and thought that I could hook it up to my outdated IMac. Only after troubleshooting did I see the Mac requirements for INTEL only machines.

Anyone using MJ with the MacMini? I saw all the kernel requirements on the MJ website, but I am not sure what I get if I was to by a new Mac Mini to use with MJ. Can I get an older Mini on Ebay and load Leopard software? Would that get the right kernels loaded.

I don't want to buy a Intel Mac for over $1000 when all I am using it for is MJ. Never been into the PC side of things, and wouldn't know what to look for. Maybe someone can tell me what is the cheapest "new" PC I could buy just to use MJ on.

Thanks,

Paul
CaliforniaPlaya
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Paul! I'm currently running MJ on a Mini with 10.5.5 and it works fine except for incoming caller id. Running on XP with Boot Camp it seems to work just as well and caller id works as well. I've had similar results running MJ on a MacBook.
If you're already planning to get a Mini and run MJ on it, its a nice little capable machine. Good deals can be had on refurbished Macs on Apple's online refurbished store. But I wouldn't get a Mini just for the purpose of running MJ. Check into the thin client info on here, that should work for you. Its not Mac, but if your only need is to run MJ, it should work just fine.

Good luck!!!
strndedinalska
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a mini either when you can get a cheap windows machine. If you're going to do something else with it, then by all means, the mini is great. If not, it's like buying a one ton truck to pull your push mower on a single axle trailer. Buy one of the thin clients or a cheap pc for a lot less money.
strndedinalska
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a mini either when you can get a cheap windows machine. If you're going to do something else with it, then by all means, the mini is great. If not, it's like buying a one ton truck to pull your push mower on a single axle trailer. Buy one of the thin clients or a cheap pc for a lot less money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: