Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Device Drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLM-MJ
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Magic Device Drivers

I appears MagicJack (MJ) uses to devices, A disc drive device and a DVD/CDROM Device. The problem that I'm having is with DVD/CD authoring software that searches for the dvd/cdrom drives. Since MJ is setup on a DVD/CD device, when the software accesses this device MJ runs the a autoplay program. Has any one else had this happen, are there any fixes? The only advice MJ tech support gave wast to either don't use my dvd/cdrom software or move MJ to another computer that was not running an other programs, (ie a dedicated pc).

You help is appreciated.

Gary
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject:

A search will show you that MJ will not work with Roxio and other CD/DVD software, and possibly others.
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject:

yes, it is wicked annoying, but just unplug the thing while you are making your DVD, (that works for Nero..)...
we posted that back in Aug 2007.
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:

There are several articles found by Googling that tell you how to disable auto-play in Windows. This would eliminate autorun from getting loaded when the device gets mounted. It also means that when you insert a real CD disc into a drive that you will need to navigate to the disc to manually start the autorun.exe or setup.exe program (or whatever autorun.inf says to load). Many security gurus recommend disabling auto-play as it is a hazard when users bring in USB thumb drives to plug into the company's computer and have some unknown and non-authorized program startup on their host. Auto-play is both a convenience and an inconvenience depending on the particular circumstance.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bdisable+%2B"auto-play"+%2Bwindows
GLM-MJ
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks of the info. I will look at disabling the windows autorun feature; but correct me if i'm wrong. The reason MagicJack uses a DVD/CD Rom device is to make use of the autorun feature. Therefore by disabling the windows autorun feature, MJ will not start when it is first plugged into the usb port.

Also, I found I could use the USB Safely Remove Hardware tool to stop MJ. Does anyone know if there is a tool to restart a USB Device the has been stopped without unplugging and plugging in again.

Gary
GLM-MJ
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi all, I was able to write this script to stop or start MagicJack. devcon.exe can be found at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311272

the script assumes the windows autorun feature is still active. If autorun feature is disabled then a line will need to be added to the script to run the autorun.inf file on the magicjack drive.

here is the script. save it with an extention of .vbs for example mj.vbs

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
ans=msgbox("Click YES to start MagicJack" & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Click NO to stop MagicJack" & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "Click CANCEL to do neither",3)
select Case ans
case 2
msgbox("No action taken")
case 6
objShell.Run ("%comspec% /c c:\devcon\devcon.exe enable *MagicJack*"), 0, true
msgbox("MagicJack will started shorty")

case 7
objShell.Run ("%comspec% /c c:\devcon\devcon.exe disable *MagicJack*"), 0, true
msgbox("MagicJack Stopped")
end select
shivaya
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject:

I had a different problem with MJ but one of the byproducts was MJ not starting up when I booted or rebooted my machine. The fix I discovered playing around was to go to the the hidden files in My documents> Administrator>Application Data>mjusbsp and add the setup1 exe from the ugrade folder to my start up files in winpatrol. Perhaps it will work if just added to your start up in configsis. MJ has been working like a dream ever since. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: