magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack and dir-625 router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdj522
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack and dir-625 router Reply with quote

[font=Comic Sans MS:8905e498c0] [/font:8905e498c0] Just got my MJ today and installed it. (Vista Ultimate, all updates, and sp1.) I can make calls, but they all are broken, with the sound routinely dropping out for a second or so constantly. I tried the magic fix, and passed everything except the last item which called for ports 5060 and 5070 as well as a couple tcp ports to be opened.

I went into the settings for my router, a d-link dir-625 and opened the ports everywhere I could think of, then re-started the router and rebooted the pc, but still no luck and magic fix still says the ports are closed. (Windows firewall is disabled, btw.) I am really stuck here and magic fix support was (As seems to be the normal case with every other post here where contact with them has been mentioned.) absolutely useless.

Any help you all have to offer would be most appreciated.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kink of internet do you have? Try to do a VOIP test to see how well your internet connection support VOIP calls:

http://www.testyourvoip.com
jdj522
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:
What kink of internet do you have? Try to do a VOIP test to see how well your internet connection support VOIP calls:

http://www.testyourvoip.com

Had voip before mj and it worked well. Tried the link and got a 3.5. Not horrible, but not great either. However, it is passable.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did the test go through ok with no error message like "trying again with port 6000"?

Why don't you try to set the followings for your DIR-625:

Advanced/QOS Engine/QOS Engine Setup: Check Enable QOS Engine
Advanced/Firewall Settings/Application Layer Gateway (near bottom): uncheck SIP

do not do any port forwarding, leave everything in default, except for the above.

Last edited by LikeMagic on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what kind of phone are you using with MJ? If it's a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, it may interfere with your wireless router, causing voice drop-outs on your MJ calls.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not sound like a router problem to me. But to be sure, test with your PC connected directly to the cable modem. (Make sure that Windows Firewall or another software firewall is enabled when you do this.) You'll need to cycle power on the cable modem for this test, and again when you reconnect the router. You may need to reboot your PC for the test, and again when you reconnect it to the router. When testing, confirm that your Internet connection is working, before starting MJ.
Bendle
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are asking for pain if you use MJ on a PC connected via wireless, as a general rule. Hardwire it.

Its not a port issue if you are able to make calls. The quality problems could be a result of being wireless, if wireless is the case.

if you do as Stewart suggested and remove the router completely for testing and calls still are crackly then its your PC.

Last, some others have had success bumping up the priority of the executable process on the PC itself. I prefer to run it as a service, but you can use the CPU priority on that EXE easily and quickly for troubleshooting.

What speed is your Internet service? Is your wireless network secure or do you have neighbors hitchhiking on your internet?
Do you have other services running on your connection like BitTorrent or other bandwidth hogging apps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: