magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack as a service - a better way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinko
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: if i can request you to make a video Reply with quote

I guess with all the instruction if you can make a video of it
it would be much easier to follow all the instruction and surely it would be a great great help ?
Please i would like to request you or anyone followed it successfully
record a video for us people who can't get it to work
thanks
carebear
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP Its Not Running for me Reply with quote

tinko wrote:

i set it exact like this as i write it down

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe/scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "X:\magicJack"

"I didnt understand this part"
where X is the second MagicJack drive letter you found earlier, then click OK.

then i restart the computer but its not running without usb
Warning Plug the magic jack USB
its only work when i plug in the magic jack Sad

Hi tinko,

1. I still use the magicJack device as well. The purpose of semicharm's method is to make mJ available to us as a Service even when we're not logged on, or when we're in standby. That way we don't lose the connection as long as the computer is still on. Also the mJ screen doesn't always pop up.

(I think I saw somewhere where one person did something additional to not have to use the jack, but that was something else or additional and I don't remember where I saw it.)

tinko wrote:

"I didnt understand this part"

Somewhere prior to this in the instructions, semicharm asks us to take notice of which of the mJ icons in "My Computer" is designated as "PHONE" - you can do this by right clicking and looking at the Properties - and remembering which drive letter it is. It is *that* drive letter you are to substitute for the 'X' in "X:\magicJack" above.

3. Also, based on semicharm's updated information, you'll want to be using the 'LocalService' folder everywhere you see 'All Users' in semicharn's first-page instructions. It appears he edited some of it, but when last I looked (when I set mine up) a few had slipped through the cracks. I don't know if it will appear to change things drastically from the way you already have the service set up, but you will have the correct setup (which will probably keep you from running into potential problems down the road).

4. If you can't find the LocalService folder, see my instructions above. I had a challenge finding it before. It had appeared for the install and then disappeared... until I figured out how to unhide it.

I'm no expert, so this is all I can offer. Hope it's helpful. Good luck! Smile
mmullins98
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norml Jack posted "If you need to access the MagicJack dialer window for any reason, just open the Services window, right click on the Magic Jack service, click the Log On tab, click Allow service to interact with desktop, and click OK. Right click the MagicJack service again and choose Restart "

If you do this then MJ puts itself back in the "RUN" entry in the registry and puts an icon on the desktop. To get things back to running the service; uncheck the "Allow service to interact with desktop", delete entry in "RUN" in registry(as done in the beginning) and reboot.
Ironhedz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Problem on Vista Ultimate Reply with quote

I ran the installmjservice but i get the error "Tue 02/24/2009 07:19 PM
ERROR: Could not find location of MagicJack program." MJ is up and running and the drive letter that states "PHONE" is E. I looked thru the batc but could not figure out where to add this. Any help would be great - thanks.
mfaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to work for me but I have a Panasonic KX-TGA640S Phone and so I have trouble dialing out. The funny thing is that when the soft-phone is up I have no trouble dialing out even with this phone. What could be the difference?

Also, I'm very upset about buying a $75 phone specifically for use with MJ only to find that there are issues dialing out. Someone posted a fix that involved soldering and circuitry, it isn't worth that and no one should have to do that to get their phone to work.

So far I like the concept of MJ but I don't think I've used it long enough to pass a final judgement, however, I've already had to buy a powered USB port and flash my Linksys router to Tomato to get decent sound quality and it still often feels like simplex communication. I can already say that there is a lot of room for improvement.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could put in a support request to have them upgrade the software to fix it but there doesn't seem to be a way to send bug reports. How do we let MJ know about issues?

-Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfaine wrote:
This seems to work for me but I have a Panasonic KX-TGA640S Phone and so I have trouble dialing out. The funny thing is that when the soft-phone is up I have no trouble dialing out even with this phone. What could be the difference?
I hope I am misunderstanding you here, but the words you used indicate that you believe that you should be able to make and receive calls when the softphone is not running. You can't. Your Panasonic phone is a slave device to the softphone, which must be running at all times to make and receive calls.
mfaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
I hope I am misunderstanding you here, but the words you used indicate that you believe that you should be able to make and receive calls when the softphone is not running. You can't. Your Panasonic phone is a slave device to the softphone, which must be running at all times to make and receive calls.

Yeah, you misunderstand it is running as a service so the magicjack soft-phone isn't visible or in the taskbar tray but it is sitll running and a dial tone is present.

While running only as a service without the soft phone I can't dial out, after dialing the phone drops back to a dial tone, if the soft phone is up the numbers are relayed to the soft phone and dialed.
Steve67
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: running magic jack as a service Reply with quote

Got the service part running and installed but i'm getting no dial tone. It works from my shortcut i created as well. I used your zip file to install the service semicharm but like i said no luck getting a dial tone. Would appreciate some tips not sure what the hell i did wrong. I noticed the msusbsp folder is in all the application folders on my pc. My wife's profile has one as well as mine. Along with the all users profile. Thanks much for any suggestions
Steve67
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Magic jack script Reply with quote

Now i got a dial tone but can"t make or recieve calls lol. Not sure why though i did it exactly as you said to. The reg entry is right. Although i had to create the parameters key in the reg entry for it i assumed your batch file would've created it but it didn't. I'm having trouble with this piece of garbage and would appreciate any suggestions. I guess you get what you pay for though. I"m getting ready to give up on this thing though. I would just run it normally but it isn"t stable it cuts me off in the middle of calls for some reason when i run it the normal way and i was just trying to get it more stable. Thx again for any help.
Steve67
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: semicharms service setup for magicjack Reply with quote

I seem to have got it. I ended up putting it in the LocalService App folder and had to tell my Norton to let out srvany.exe. Probably had it right about 4 or 5 times before realizing it was Norton's fault for not letting it out. I also purchased a powered usb hub. Thx Semicharm for the easier way of using it as a service. Didn't really want to create another user profile just to use this bug ridden program.
molitar
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after creating the service WITHOUT copying or moving the mjusb folder the service works fine.. BEWARE of moving the default folders MagicJack hates it with a passion so them running as a service a better way is total crap if you decide to move the location of the default folder.. now that I have it running in the proper folder location it installs in by default magicjack has been real stable for me so far.

So the MAIN thing is DO NOT MOVE THE FOLDER! Install it as a service right where it is located now and since than it's been stable for almost a week now.
Sparki
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had MJ running as a service on a server 'puter with no problems even after moving its files from C drive onto D drive where all the rest of the server specific infrastructure is that the server machine uses.

The reason that I switched back to running MJ as a foreground application on that server is that while running as a service I noticed that instead of requiring 1 process, magicJack.exe, it uses 2 services, that one and also the servall app that allows mj to run as a service.

That wasn't the main reason that I switched back though. I noticed that while running as a process, taskmanager reported that mj was using 30megs of memory to do its thing, while running it as a normal foreground app it consumed about 1.2 megs of mem.

Still that wasn't the main reason I switched back because that machine has like 4 gigs of ram in it. The main reason that I switched back to running MJ as a foreground process was that MJ running as a service seemed to slow the overall webserver down a tiny bit more than running as foreground. This is due to services getting more clock cycles to process I think. I used some heavy PHP pages as a benchmark to watch the PHP rendering time the machine took to compose a complex PHP page and push it to my browser while MJ ran. MJ as a service increased the PHP rendering times slightly over running as a foreground app..

These days with all the modern versions of apache and php and mySql, all the server apps, being able to run as background processes, it leaves the server desktop pretty much blank, so having the softphone panel there really does no harm, especially since that monitor stays switched off most of the time. And the mj softphone panel does offer some diagnostic info about what calls have passed though it etc etc.

The one and only thing I can caution about when setting up mj as running as a service is make sure and double check all of your path names that you put in the config files, especially the one for that servall program that allows mj to run as a service.
bigjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: MagicJack running as a service on thin client XPe Reply with quote

After reading 11 pages of postings regarding MagicJack as a service, I see only one mention of thin client, and an answer of Why?
I have MJ running on a thin client which I use for nothing else. I like the low power consumption, but would really like it to run as a service with no popup or extra resources expended on the softphone.
Has anyone done this sucessfully? Will the script mentioned work on XPe, and were is the latest script with no typos found?
Or should I leave well enough alone?
HP T5700 with 512 flash and 512 ram
Thanks
mfaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would be great if there were some way for the users to request this functionality from the makers of MJ. The way it is designed doesn't make much sense from a software design point of view. You should decouple the interface (softphone) from the service. The service should run as System and the softphone should merely pass/retrieve commands to the service. Also, the softphone should stay in the tray unless the user wants it up, no application should ever choose when to give itself focus.

I would hope that the developers of MJ would know this but apparently they do not and we have no way of telling them.

-Mark
molitar
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really starting to hate MJ.. damn thing for no apparent reason will quit dialing out.. if I could only find that tigerjet software that some others have said they got skype to work with magicjack I would try it.. MJ quality is appearing to be total crap.. just stops working for no apparent reason
mfaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molitar wrote:
I'm really starting to hate MJ.. damn thing for no apparent reason will quit dialing out.. if I could only find that tigerjet software that some others have said they got skype to work with magicjack I would try it.. MJ quality is appearing to be total crap.. just stops working for no apparent reason

Are you running as a service? I had to go back to softphone only (no service) because my panasonic phones would get a dial tone but not dial out. After dialing it would drop back to a dialtone, again this was solved by letting MJ load the way it wants to load.

-Mark
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Service on Thin Client Reply with quote

Stroths, for one indicated he had done so. (Thin Client forum) but also said that there was really no reason to if the TC was dedicated to MJ. I'm running it as intended with process priority set to high in task manager and MJ is doing well. Probably shouldn't have said that--Murphy is alive and well and he knows where my computer is!

OTC
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfaine wrote:
Well, it would be great if there were some way for the users to request this functionality from the makers of MJ.
MJ is designed as an entire "plug it in and it just works" system that has arguably sold millions of units. We are a few dozen oddballs who wish to extract more service or quality from the system than was intended. MJ is exactly like Vonage in this respect. Vonage also requires that you use their service only with a device that was sold or lent to you by Vonage, so as to reduce the variety of configurations they need to support to the bare minimum.

For a $20 equipment component (the TigerJet half, alone retails for about $70) and $20 per year service (compared to $20 per month from a regular VoIP service provider), MJ has actually made a smart business decision in locking the system complement to that configuration.

For all of the problems the MJ executive team has created by sleazy advertising, sluggish expansion of the core infrastructure, weak care and feeding of their Customer Support people, etc., the basic premise of a dirt cheap dongle coupled with dirt cheap service is a solid combination.

Anything more than that, like being able to work with others here to add running-as-a-service capability, is a bonus that was not part of what you agreed to pay for.
mfaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So feature requests are totally out of the question because it only cost $20 for the hardware and $20 per year? I strongly disagree.

MJ violates basic user interface and system design principles with the poor design of the software, at the very least they should fix this right away since it isn't even a feature request but a design flaw.

I have no problem with the hardware, well nothing too serious, it is the software that is very weak. Any company should strive to improve their product or they will eventually lose their customers. MJ cannot afford to rest on their laurels.
travispippens
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: error sort of Reply with quote

k8bebop wrote:
I get a dialog box that states:

This is my registry entry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\magicjack]
"Type"=dword:00000110
"Start"=dword:00000002
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"=hex(2):63,00,3a,00,5c,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,6b,00,69,00,74,00,5c,00,\
73,00,72,00,76,00,61,00,6e,00,79,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00

This is where this resides ... c:\reskit\srvany.exe

"DisplayName"="magicjack"
"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\magicjack\Parameters]
"Application"="\"C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\mjusbsp\\magicJack.exe\" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot \"I:\\magicJack\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\magicjack\Security]
"Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\
00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\
00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\
20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\
00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\magicjack\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_MAGICJACK\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

I got this same error. What I did was go back to the registry key for magic jack and edit the application string. Remove all quotes and it worked.
ldrancer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a problem. first the way to do it, never says to copy the folder to the all users folder, so it never works. it won't work without it in that folder. you never say copy it to that folder, but all your shortcuts point to that folder. so it doesn't work. once i went, well crap it don't work, all the shortcuts point to that folder, and i was trying to make a shortcut to that folder and it said nothing there, i thought i'd copy the folder there. then it worked.
when it gets going, when magicjack changes ads, the browser it's using, internet explorer, clicks when you go to a new web page, it's like popup ad that doesn't stop. internet explorer clicks. the magicjack, you can hear it clicking every once in while. is there someway to just disable magicjack from making application sounds. i like the click in internet explorer, lets me know i'm changing pages. it's like running an application that has ads, and everytime it changes ads, it's like changing webpages, and it clicks. is there anyway to maybe disable the browser of it, or turn off the program making sounds. it's like it's sitting on my desktop with the window open and i hear the ads.
areamike
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molitar wrote:
So the MAIN thing is DO NOT MOVE THE FOLDER! Install it as a service right where it is located now and since than it's been stable for almost a week now.

I had this same issue on Vista. I left the mjusbp folder where it originally was and haven't had problems since.
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming

For Vista users. Make sure you read this post as an adjustment to semicharm's instructions:
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post11600.html#11600

You can try moving the mjusbp folder and pointing the reg entry to it, or leave it where it is and adjust the reg entry accordingly. Whichever works for you. Also, all is case sensitive.
chopstixs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semicharm wrote:
OK, I've updated my install script, which hopefully will work on Vista. It uses various sources to get all the needed info, so there are no restrictions on drive letters and what not. It will also generate a log file, so if anyone has problems with the install, please post the log!

Install-MJ-service.zip

I am unable to install. The log file shows only a timestamp and no other information, however, the error that kills the batch install is: "goto was unexpected at this time"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Dustin "chopstixs"
R0ss
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Me wrote:
Isn't the purpose of the pop-up screen to help serve ads and therefore defray the cost of the service?
By preventing this from happening, isn't that going to prevent the company from realizing those advertising revenues and forcing them to raise the cost of the service to us?
If you like the service or the price of the service, I would recommend that you just let the pop ups occur and, if you are playing some game, disconnect your phone. If you are going to be that disturbed by the pop up, then you are not going to answer the phone anyway.
If everyone prevents these pop ups from occuring, the cost of the service is going to go up.

Installing MJ out of the box will only run on the user profile it was installed under, thus if user x installed MJ and user y logs in MJ is not available and all calls go to VM. If you only have one user profile then this mod might not suit. Had you read all of the posts you would realize this. I suspect that eliminating the pop ups and splash screen are a by product of this mod and the primary reason! Frankly I don't look at my soft phone freqeuntly enough for any addvertisements to have an affect on me. I thnk the attraction is to reduce or eliminate dealing with the "phone compnay" volume will pay for the service as wellas those that pay ahead to get a discount....Heck I save at least $240 a year just by eliminating long distance service. If I didn't need a phone line for DSL I would dump Verizon all together...
dc41
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: MJ not saving email address or password... Reply with quote

I suspect this is a problem with my MJ install itself and not the "run as a service" setup, but every time MJ starts, the registration window pops up and asks for my email address and password. Only after I have entered them can I make calls.

So, starting as a service, it doesn't log in and I get the Interactive services dialog box telling me I have to interact with MJ. Anyone know where I save the login info? I can't find a setting on the interface. I assume it's a registry entry.

Thanks!

Vista 32 bit
neideffer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Your original instruction to run worked great! Reply with quote

Your original instructions to run as a service worked great! I did this on Windows Server 2003 and it worked flawlessly. No errors in the event log, the service comes up shortly after I push the power button on the Server, no need to log in. Thank you very much.
jebise
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ not saving email address or password... Reply with quote

dc41 wrote:
I suspect this is a problem with my MJ install itself and not the "run as a service" setup, but every time MJ starts, the registration window pops up and asks for my email address and password. Only after I have entered them can I make calls.

So, starting as a service, it doesn't log in and I get the Interactive services dialog box telling me I have to interact with MJ. Anyone know where I save the login info? I can't find a setting on the interface. I assume it's a registry entry.

Thanks!

Vista 32 bit

i think your issue is that its creating a new file every time, i using MJ as a service and it working fine. i did not move mjusbsp form my profile because i have it set to auto login. People that have MJ problems is because they are moving the mjusbsp folder. There is no need to move that folder if that is the only profile you are going to use it in.
Steps123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Batch File Reply with quote

semicharm wrote:
OK, I've updated my install script, which hopefully will work on Vista. It uses various sources to get all the needed info, so there are no restrictions on drive letters and what not. It will also generate a log file, so if anyone has problems with the install, please post the log!

Install-MJ-service.zip

As they say in baseball: This file is a "Home run" Thanks a lot.......
ssudarshan75
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: please help!! Reply with quote

so i followed the instructions on OP, started majicjack service from services. Couldn't call out, when i plugged out and put the usb back it, i got a message "upgrading" and then it said "lucky you".Now if i either start majic jack from services or through the short cut it brings up the majic jack window..how do i get rid of this!!
quaan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Thanks But Reply with quote

Hey

Your instructions worked like a charm.
Once it got disconnected from USB. Upon reconnecting yes the setup showed up again.
So.....I turned off the service First, then installed it again.
After completion and ready to make calls, I ended the process under task manager. and started the service again for MJ and Yes it still works without any pop-ups.
Furthermore no Caller ID on my At&t cordless phones X3. I tried using a DSL filter hoping it would fix it but nope.
By the way i have the MJ connected to a USB hub that has its own power source.
fhmanas
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hack to make MJ work as a service. A couple of comments, though.

1. The original Post has inconsistent folder descriptions, some had '.../LocalService/...' and some had '.../All Users/...'. I chose '.../LocalService/...'

2. Had a hard time looking for '.../LocalService/...'. Solution was simple enough, open an explorer window, go to Tools->Folder Options->View and check 'Hide protected operating system files' and '.../LocalService/...' will appear.

3. Run first the following commands in a cmd terminal to determine where your '.../LocalService/...' is. Do this if you moved your Documents and Settings, I moved mine to Drive D:

@echo off
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders">log.txt
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders">>log.txt
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar">>log.txt
reg query "HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders">>log.txt
reg query "HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders">>log.txt
reg query "HKU\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders">>log.txt
start notepad log.txt
exit
cls

4. Do the RemoveDrive option upon shutdown to disconnect the USB properly.

5. If you have the 'Interact with the desktop' option on, once you log off somehow the phone interface is disconnected. You can still call using the soft phone and using the handset as a mic and earphone set. Solution is to set the 'Interact with the desktop' to off.

6. Once you removed the MJ and returned it, it will try to install again, solution is to use TweakUI to disable Autoplay to MJ drives.

7. Once you removed the MJ, the MagicJack Task is removed but the service is still on. Attaching the MagicJack will not restart the MagicJack task bec of Number #6. The service has to restarted either in services.msc or in cmd with the net start/stop magicjack command

8. An option for 6&7, is to have a copy of mjusbsp folder in each of your user's application, in which case, when you reattach the MJ, it will start the magicJack application, but take note that this is a local application execution not the service we created.
fhmanas
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the MJ USB look for during autoplay, since

1. it won't restart the service if it was re-plugged in when you disable autoplay. A manual net start/stop magicjack has to be executed.

2. If you enable autoplay, it will attempt to reinstall and the execution is local.

3. If you enable autoplay and retain a copy of mjusb in your Application Data, it will execute MJ as localized copy only.

I have made a simple batch file with the necessary net start/stop magicjack commands and wrapped into an exe using the Windows utility iexpress in your c:\Windows\System32. The "magicjack.exe", I made is working if I click it, it restarts the service silently.

My premise was to replace the exe that autorun is looking for and replace it with my "magicjack.exe" file. I will place this file in my User/Application Data/mjusb. The thing is, magicjack detects the replacement and replaces my file with the real magicjack.exe.

I was thinking if somebody can point to me how to accomplish this, it would tie up the loose end of this hack of the removing and replugging the MJ dongle during autoplay to restart the LocalService service daemon.
ldrancer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here's how i got rid of the internetr explorer, ads, that are going in magicjack, doing the browsing webpage sound every 5 minutes. it worked for 4 months, but now it started back up. but i'll say how i done it, i got to check my shortcuts again. where its running from, rename the small.skn file and big.skn file, magicjack.exe can't be running when you do it because the process is using it. magicjack, has a other skin, with a bunch more options, and the shortcut to run magicjack, after you've started it as a service, if you end the magicjack.exe and mjsetup.exe processes, to see the program, you can see the skin. i got the base skin from some other that said to get magicjack to do another skin, and get it to load more options. the base skin has no ads, so when you load magicjack as a service, it's like running on your desktop, where the ads will go, and it does the navigate sound every 5 minutes which bugged me. i'd be playing a game and in it, every 5 minutes i would hear the navigate sound, tick tick tick... ahhh. so thats how i got rid of it.
but it stopped working lately i got to figure out what it's doing it for.
about the base skin, what it is is if you load magicjack from the magicjack.exe and not the magicjackloader.exe, i think is the name, it doesn't connect and dowload, so it loads a magicjack without skins. and it doesn't revolve ads.
magicjack as a service, sits on your desktop, but you can't see it, and you can't minimize it, and it doesn't bother you with windows, if you pick up the phone, it doesn't come to view, and minimize stuff. its loaded, though, and will revolve ads, and its on your desktop.
mianne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my laptop for over a year as a dedicated magicjack host, but the laptop seems to be on its last legs. The network port is FUBARed and even the AC supply port is persnickety. I have no current need for a new laptop, and supply and demand seems to have made ThinClients nearly as expensive as full-fledged PCs lately.

Thankfully, semicharm's steps in the OP as well as modifications for Vista posted here by Gospelific have MJ running invisibly in the background on my primary computer running Vista Home Premium and I'm very pleased with the results.

One thing which didn't work initially was step 6. I got an error about not being allowed to perform that task. The solution was to run CMD as an administrator, and it worked just fine.

I am, as the saying goes, just smart enough to be dangerous, and while I pored over most of this thread, I still haven't deciphered everything I might need to know, so hopefully someone can spell it out for me or point me a little more specifically where to find what I'm looking for:

1) I did not follow exactly how to access the softphone on my desktop. Seems the OP is very XP specific. A shortcut to start it and another? to stop it without a reboot would be super.

2) Mind you, I don't have much use for the softphone itself, but would like to have easy access to the call logs. They seem to be stored in X:magicJack/CallLogs.clm with enough plaintext visible in the code to see that it should be feasible for another app to display the data in a more user-friendly format. Has one already been written, or on a to-do list?

3) The other need for the softphone display is for new voicemail notifications, since MJ unfortunately doesn't send out a new message signal to a handset. I'm assuming it'd be impossible without a hardware hack to send out the staccato dialtone via the dongle?

4) When (if) I finally get a thinclient, ATA, or other hardware to act as another dedicated host for magicjack, is there more to the uninstall process than deleting the mjusbsp directory and the HKLM/.../Magicjack registry entries?
leashy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you who run magicjack as a service with the dongle plugged in, will it work right going into and out of sleep mode? I rarely shut my computer down, but I put it in sleep mode all the time. So I'm just wondering if it would work that way.
Thanks!
quaan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leashy wrote:
For all of you who run magicjack as a service with the dongle plugged in, will it work right going into and out of sleep mode? I rarely shut my computer down, but I put it in sleep mode all the time. So I'm just wondering if it would work that way.
Thanks!

hey guys i had this mj working as a service for 2 months but recently it is acting weird
no calls outgoing or incoming.
i can hear dial tone only.
Once i stop mj as a service and check mark cdloader2, seems to work fine.
otherwise i get error 401 on magicjack (failed to register)
any suggestions?
luzer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quaan wrote:
leashy wrote:
Thanks!

hey guys i had this mj working as a service for 2 months but recently it is acting weird
no calls outgoing or incoming.
i can hear dial tone only.
Once i stop mj as a service and check mark cdloader2, seems to work fine.
otherwise i get error 401 on magicjack (failed to register)
any suggestions?

ummm. me too
i2bizee
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah same thing is happening to me. all calls go to VM and get a dial tone.. dial the number.. goes back to dial tone..
KageCM
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it turned out the new update was installed in a different folder that where the service looks. It was installed in the folder associated with the log on I used. I just copied it over to the default user and now its working again.

I am having problems with call quality now. Others can hear me fine but incoming is stuttering. Though these problems might be unrelated.
Turbo4V
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that if you just let it go ahead and do the "upgrade", and re-install the service (just go back through the service installation instructions) that all was well again. ymmv!
R0ss
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAd MJ running as a service for about two months then all of a sudden it has given me nothing but problems. Noticed the post about the recent update so I reinstalled as a service (had to do it a couple of times for it to finally work) and it seems to be OK now. However I noticed that magicjack.exe is running as a process also, is this supposed to be and I didn't notice it before?
corvax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have line but i can make a call stay dead but i have line....
corvax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put magicjack normal like factory default
GrampaDan2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Works with Firedaemon - sort of Reply with quote

I put the executable in firedaemon and I can make calls when no user is logged in ... but ...

On logging in, I find that
1. it starts the magicjack process and I have to kill it in the task manager or the phone call is really awful sounding as the process is running twice
2. a zillion copies of install.exe and autorunu.exe are running. Autorun.exe is running off the g: drive (the USB with the magicjack on it).
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1232550/process-manager.jpg
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1232550/Process-manager2.jpg

I'm using Windows 7, so it's a learning experience. I tried restricting auto runs fby turning off auto run in the policy editor, but that doesn't seem to have helped.
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1232550/turn-off-autoplay.jpg

I tried removing magicjack from the run keys in the registry, but then I got the dial tone however the calls would not work ... just dial tone and no line.
RDHeinz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Help to "Run a script" Reply with quote

I found this "script" to automate the process of converting magicJack to a service. I'm not new to computers but "running a script" is something I know little about. Here's what the script looks like. Can anybody help me?

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.13.13 (beta)
Author: Alex Escalante

Script Function:

1. Close all existing Magic Jack processes
2. Move Magic Jack application from users inveroment to shared enviroment
3. Find Magic Jack hardware and add script to root directory
4. Create the Magic Jack Service
#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here

#include <Array.au3>
#include <service.au3>

$appTitle = "MJ Service Installer"

If Not IsAdmin() Then
MsgBox(48, $appTitle, "Administrator privileges required.", 10)
Exit
EndIf

CloseVerify("mjsetup.exe")
CloseVerify("magicJack.exe")
CloseVerify("cdloader2.exe")
CloseVerify("magicJackLoader.exe")

TrayTip($appTitle, 'Closed existing "MJ" processes', 10, 1)

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "cdloader")
RegDelete("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "cdloader")

FileDelete(@DesktopDir & "\magicJack.lnk")
DirMove(@AppDataDir & "\mjusbsp", @AppDataCommonDir & "\mjusbsp", 9)

$Drives = DriveGetDrive("all")
For $i = 1 To $Drives[0] Step 1
If FileExists($Drives[$i] & "\DONT USE THIS DRIVE") Then
TrayTip($appTitle, "MJ found at " & $Drives[$i], 10, 1)
Sleep(2000)
FileCopy(@ScriptFullPath, $Drives[$i] & "\")
TrayTip($appTitle, "Updated MJ device", 10, 1)
Sleep(2000)
EndIf
Next

$serviceres = _Service_Create("", "mjsvc", "Magic Jack Service", '"' & @AppDataCommonDir & "\mjusbsp\magicJackLoader.exe" & '"')
Switch $serviceres
Case 1
TrayTip($appTitle, "Service Installed", 10, 1)
Sleep(2000)
Case 0
TrayTip($appTitle, "Error installing service.", 10, 3)
Sleep(2000)
EndSwitch

$res = MsgBox(4, "Magic Jack Service", "Done!" & @CRLF & "I suggest a restart. Should I do that now?")
Switch $res
Case 6;yes
MsgBox(0, $appTitle, "Thanks! Please consider donating a few bucks via paypal to [email protected]")
Shutdown(2)
Case 7; no
MsgBox(0, $appTitle, "Thanks! Please consider donating a few bucks via paypal to [email protected]")
EndSwitch

Func CloseVerify($proc)
Do
ProcessClose($proc)
Sleep(150)
Until ProcessExists($proc) = 0
EndFunc ;==>CloseVerify

; notes for v2
; $mjUser = "MJSVCUser"
; $mjPass = "mi*=^=*im"
; $objUser = ObjGet("WinNT://" & @ComputerName & "/" & $mjUser)
; If @error Then
; $colAccounts = ObjGet("WinNT://" & @ComputerName & "")
; $objUser = $colAccounts.Create("user", $mjUser)
; $objUser.SetPassword($mjPass)
; $objUser.Put("Fullname", "Test User")
; $objUser.Put("Description", "Test User description")
; $objUser.SetInfo
; EndIf
rajee
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all - great job on the step-by-step process, OP! Smile Exclamation

I think I've got it all working like a charm - the only thing is that I didn't notice MJ starting up by itself upon restart when I finished the final touches. I created the shortcut on the desktop as advised and ran it off of that without a glitch (so far) .. it's still running fine ... But my concern is getting it to run by itself in case the computer restarts/shuts down (so I don't have to log in to run it manually) ...

This has resolved my issue of having MJ die on us everytime the computer goes into sleep and goes to the shared User IDs screen ... since it's now in the 'background' and running as a service ...

So - my immediate situation is fine but I just want to foolproof for the future (I checked that the Parameter details in REGEDIT were all perfect and matched the shortcut which worked) ...

Please offer any suggestions. Exclamation Exclamation
T-Man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Running as a service AND disabling voice mail Reply with quote

I've got the jack set up to run as a service in win7. It is working great. However, I can't "disable" voicemail as described here. If I run the jack normally, voicemail never picks up, but when running as a service, voicemail always picks up.

Anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

T-Man
1artworkz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to MJ but I hate the long load time and the ***** splash screen.
I have followed semicharm's instruction, however I am confused and may have missed an important step.
semicharm says:

4) Open My Computer and go to
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data
and move the mjusbsp folder to C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data.
Which I did. Then he says.

7) Run regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Services\MagicJack
Right click the MagicJack key, choose New>Key, and name it Parameters. Now in the Parameters key, right click, choose New>String Value, and name it Application.
Double click the Application value and set it to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "X:\magicJack"

My question: if the mjusbsp directory was MOVED to C:\ ...\LocalService\, why is the key set to "C:\ .... \All Users\Application Data ("mjusbsp" is nolonger under All Users but under LocalService)?

Using MagicJack Utilites I have Path1, Path2 & Path3 set to "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\mjusbsp"

When I click on "Get Current SIP Information" I get an "Invalid Path1 in Config.ini" error. What have I done wrong?
matspm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Alternative way for MJ popup blocker For Vista Reply with quote

I used the OPs method for XP. When i upgraded to Vista i did the following steps.

1. Create two accounts. One for your regular use and one for MJ. It need not have admin access.
2. Login to the account for MJ and connect the MJ.
3. Once MJ completes startup, use 'Switch User' option to switch back to the regular account.

That's it. You are done Wink
degarb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am missing something. What is advantage. Seems like about 3 hours of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: