magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack as a service - a better way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xkahn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, looks like you got it running.

Yes, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can't say that MJ carries spyware but it has been suggested by several people. It would be highly illegal to pull peoples private files off any PC no matter what TOS says. I imagine that it would be more likely for someone to use the MJ service to hack a system using it as an exploit.

So with that in mind, keeping MJ on an inactive limited user account keeps all other files and accounts safe. Also running it as a service keeps the other account from running other software twice over such virus scanners.

I am glad you are enjoying your new service.
nitemare
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please someone post a working procedure to run as service (or hide) using Windows 7 64 Bit. So far everything I tried does not work.
Xkahn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitemare wrote:
Please someone post a working procedure to run as service (or hide) using Windows 7 64 Bit. So far everything I tried does not work.

Let's begin with, can you remove the software from your account and install MJ to a new user account? Once done and MJ is up and running don't logoff as the new user but instead switch users.

If you can get to this point MJ should stay working but hidden on the other account. Let us know how that works out.
arcadia2uk
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could try this
Code:
http://abc-deploy.com/Features.aspx

Quote:
Free Tool
ABC-SrvAny
Run any program as a Windows System Service.
ABC_SrvAny installs on both 32 and 64 bits Windows, and are able to start 32 bit as well as 64 bit applications as supported by the operating system
ABC_SrvAny is 100% free for both commercial and none commercial use.

or there is the already built in Windows version:
Quote:
Windows comes with the SC.exe tool which allows you to directly create and modify services.
Simply go to an elevated Command Prompt and type:
sc.exe create <Service Name> binPath= <Path> DisplayName= <name>
For example, to create a (useless) notepad service, you could use:
sc.exe create MyNotepadService binPath= "C:\windows\notepad.exe" DisplayName= "My notepad Service"
(Please note, spacing after the equals and before the value is important)
You can then start the service from the command prompt using SC start <Service Name> or through the services section of Computer Management.
linkaccounting
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Running magicjack as a service Reply with quote

Based on last update I can not run Magicjack as a service. It appears Magicjack ask now to log in. Is there a work around to run as a service
m4f1050
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my MJ as service, it runs, it shows running but when I dial I get a dialtone after every key dialed. Is this the update they did? Any work around to this?

Thanks.
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: I can't get the service to run... Reply with quote

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and went through the steps below. These are the original steps as posted by semicharm with the Vista/Windows7 mods as suggested by Gospelific.

Everything looks fine, and the service even says that it Started, but the phone line is dead.

If I go to the registry and copy and paste:

"C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "F:\magicJack"

into a CMD window, MagicJack starts up and I can make/receive phone calls.

Does anyone know why the service says that it is started, but nothing happens?

Another note, when the service is started, the magicJack.exe process does not show up in task manager, but when I run that same command from the CMD prompt, MajicJack starts up and the process shows up in task manager.

Please help,

Jim

STEPS I PERFORMED:

1) Install MJ as usual.

2) Once MJ is finally at the dialpad window and working properly, open Task Manager, click the Processes tab and end the MagicJack.exe process.

3) Run MSConfig, go to the Startup tab, uncheck cdloader2.exe, then click OK.

4) Open My Computer and go to
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming*
and move the mjusbsp folder to
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming*

While you're in My Computer, also note the letter for second drive assigned to the MJ box. If you right click the drive and choose Properties, the correct one will have the name PHONE.

5) You can get rktools.exe to install the Windows Resource Kit, but you only really need instsrv.exe and srvany.exe.

6) Using the default path where the resource kit is installed, run cmd and enter

"C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\instsrv.exe" "MagicJack" "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\srvany.exe"
(MODIFIED THIS FOR MY PATH)

If you have those two files somewhere else, just adjust the path accordingly. Make sure that there are no errors reported and close the window.

7) Run regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Services\MagicJack
Right click the MagicJack key, choose New>Key, and name it Parameters.
Now in the Parameters key, right click, choose New>String Value, and name it Application.
Double click the Application value and set it to

"C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "X:\magicJack"

where X is the second MagicJack drive letter you found earlier, then click OK.
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSport1966 mentioned that you have to run magicjack.exe in compatibility mode for Vista.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/tool-to-make-magicjack-run-as-a-windows-service-t8112-180.html
4plus3vette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you arcadia2uk.

I went to that link and tried what SuperSport1966 said without success.

After trying several other things, I bumped the User Account Control to "Never Notify" and it worked - that is, along with SuperSport1966's suggestion.

So, I will post my findings over there because that etvaugha guy has some sort of script for this and would probably like to know.

Thank you again for all of your help. It was what I finally needed to get me over the hump.

Jim
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to debug when running as a a service? i had it working but now i get a strange tone instead of a dial tone?
NationalOpinions
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: FireDaemon Reply with quote

sbb wrote:
Anyone heard of FireDaemon? It is a program that will run ANY exe as a service. Their original version was free and I have it and use it to run magicJack as a service. FAR EASIER than the above instructions. Download it HERE.

Only applications that are programmed to run as a service can run as a service. And that's just point one! FireDaemon is not free.
rah
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: you can run majicjack as a service Reply with quote

http://www.evanvaughan.com/magicjack.aspx
installed this yesterday. Works perfect.
eddo617
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a newb and this is gonna be a stupid question for you guys, but what does it mean when you say run MJ as a service and what benefits do you get?
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to seem to harsh but have you looked at the many posts in this thread? There's a wealth of into there but you have to dig a bit.

OTC
Michael Pavacik
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it that way as a service but otherwise i used it and the phone service was satisfactory. Will use that version as well though. I hope it serves me the same way as the regular service does.
xr440dude
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Didn't do the trick... Reply with quote

I installed 1.8 today on Win 7/64. It does not start up on boot. I still have to login to receive calls. I don't see any discussion here regarding v1.8. Is anyone else having difficulty on Win 7/64?
phoneguy509
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Win7 64bit Reply with quote

I too am running into this error, It gets most annoying when I Remote Desktop to this machine then disconnect, it logs me out so then it is no longer running. Have to have my machine re-logged into locally to have it start again.
thesoulja
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: sorry for this cut in---- Reply with quote

I cannot get to my magic jack screen to get to the menu or settings and etc because another pop up starts in front of my mj window and it will not allow me to move it or when you hit the x it makes both windows dissapear???? please how do i get this problem resolved i am trying to figure out why i we can hear perfectly during a phone call but the other end only hears bits and pieces of our convo ie a couple of words then cut outs a couple of words then cut outs and on and on.... Please I am begging someone for some help and I am also not all that computer savvy either.... thank you so much Virgil
Madoushi
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started going through the process, but my computer runs Vista and I on't have a C:\Documents and Settings

Also I am a moron and all the steps you have to go through an things you have to mess with seem really confusing.
D:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: