Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic jack Can't make a call

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Magic jack Can't make a call

hey guys! I need help pls. i have my mj but i can't make a call just receive calls only! so what is the solution plzzzzzz?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Something in your computers firewall or setting in your router is blocking ports that your MJ needs to communicate.

Your in the right place to find an answer to your issue.

Search is your friend.

Are you using 10 digit dialing? XXX-XXX-XXXX even for a local call.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Matt9876 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject:

so anybody can tell me what about firewall and router. i have d-link 2540u so how can i fix it?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject:

This is a fix listed for D-link routers and the MJ+

http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved

All MagicJack devices use the same ports this will give you clues to fixing your MJ.

Normally people can't get incoming phone calls and can make out going calls, your problem is reverse, check everything before making changes.
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject:

still have the problem and also the explanation on mj plus and my mj is the old i need help pls
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject:

pls i need help anybody help me pls i still can't make call
mjplus2000
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Need a little more info. What happens when you try to call out? Do you get dial tone, dead air, a recording? Did you check your magic jack account to make sure it's set up to make outgoing calls?
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no, when i write number and then press on send i don't get anything
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I'll assume you logged into my.magicjack.com and checked to make sure outgoing calls were activated? Also a few people were having trouble receiving calls so They hit the reset button and that cleared the trouble. Not sure if that would help for the opposite trouble.
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject:

so tell me how can I active outgoing calls?
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject:

walou wrote:

Not sure if there's a way to look at your options through the softphone. I go to my.magicjack.com. Log in with your phone number and password. Go to my subscriptions. The 2nd item down allows you to set outgoing and incoming calls. Check to make sure they are both activated.
walou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:

thank u man for the important information! now my mj working good! thank u very much
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject:

walou wrote:
thank u man for the important information! now my mj working good! thank u very much

Not a problem. I'm glad it worked!! Kinda makes you wonder how that feature was turned off in the first place. Too bad all mj issues weren't that simple. Very Happy
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Chances are when he first installed and registered his MJ he neglected to check "make outgoing calls" box. So it was working correctly..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Chances are when he first installed and registered his MJ he neglected to check "make outgoing calls" box. So it was working correctly..

Good point...as always. Smile
bulldog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject:

mjplus2000 wrote:
I'll assume you logged into my.magicjack.com and checked to make sure outgoing calls were activated? Also a few people were having trouble receiving calls so They hit the reset button and that cleared the trouble. Not sure if that would help for the opposite trouble.
i cant activate my phone how do i do this
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject:

go to my.magicjack.com and sign in with you number and password. go to subscriptions. You'll see an option for incoming and outgoing calls. Click on that and make sure that both are activated for full use of the mj. If they are active already then you may have a different issue. Give me a full description about the trouble you're having and I will do my best to help you. If I can't, there's always someone on the forum that will be able to.
silvermix81
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: i can't make out going calls with a home phone

i can get calls with my home phone and i can make them with the soft phone, but can not make an outgoing call with the home phone. the home phone just has a dial tone. works for incoming so it doesn't make any sense. i checked everywhere on my account for anything that might be the problem. i am checked in the box for both incoming and outgoing. anyone know what the problem might be. thanks for the help!
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:

What happens when you try to dial out? Does the dial tone just stay there? Do you get a recording? It's most likely going to either be the phone or your router(assuming your plugged into the router). If you're using it through your pc then it could be a power issue or a bad cord. It's really going to depend on how you're using the mj and what happens when you dial out.
silvermix81
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: can't make calls

Yes whenever I dial out the buttons are being pressed, but it just give me dialtone still after i finish dialing. No recording or anything, just dialtone. I can dial from the softphone, but not my regular phone. I've tried it hooked up to the router, and tried just with the computer usb. I've also tried different usb ports on the computer. All my hardware/computer/router is fairly new, so it shouldn't be any issue with those. My house is also new, so no wiring issues.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Dumb question, but have you tried a different phone? It sounds as if the red and green phone wires are reversed and out of phase. If it is not your phone, it is most likely a bad MJ dongle and needs to be replaced.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silvermix81
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject:

i'm going to buy a new one tonight and see if that works. i do have an older darth vader speaker phone but it shouldn't be broken. i thought this might be the problem since it's old but my husband doesn't think so. i think he just doesn't want to give up on that darth vader phone though lol.
silvermix81
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: it works now!!!

@bitstopjoe
you were right! i guess it was my phone. i went to walmart and just picked up a cheap corded style phone ($6) just to see if that would make it work. it did! i'm going to buy a cordless phone now and hope there isn't a problem. i don't know if the vador speaker phone didn't work for any certain reason,never had a problem with it on a home service, but i'm glad the problem is fixed either way. thanks everyone for the help, esp. bitstopjoe!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject:

Good job.. Glad all is working...
VivaLostWages!
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Dear mjplus2000,

Many thanks for your advice to silvermix81. I had the same problem of being able to receive calls but was unable to make calls. After I logged-in, the solution for me was Call Features > Select Service > I elect to accept outgoing and incoming service > Save.

Contrary to other comments, I never remember seeing an option to check "make outgoing calls." The download for magicJack is designed as a plug-and-play application. And why would anyone in their right mind think that I would use it only to receive calls? Receive and make calls should be on by default.

I spent hours "chatting" with a first level magicJack Customer Support person, only to be escalated to a 10% person, who then told me he needed to escalate the matter to an Engineer (who 48-hours later has yet to contact me!)

Thanks again for your assistance! magicJack should send you a commission check since you just saved them from losing a 5-year subscription.
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:

VivaLostWages! wrote:
Dear mjplus2000,

Many thanks for your advice to silvermix81. I had the same problem of being able to receive calls but was unable to make calls. After I logged-in, the solution for me was Call Features > Select Service > I elect to accept outgoing and incoming service > Save.
Thanks again for your assistance! magicJack should send you a commission check since you just saved them from losing a 5-year subscription.

You're welcome...I agree that those features should be activated out of the box. I just don't get why that's not the first thing support checks...Instead they keep passing you along to rep after rep with no solution in mind at all! I think they're just hoping too annoy you just enough to go away! Anyway, glad I could help.
memphis-greyhound
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: can't place outgoing calls

had mj for about 8 months no issues except incoming calls volume very low.

now recently something happened and mj will not allow me to place outgoing calls. I have reset unit and checked both incoming and outgoing calls.

i get a dial tone and can receive calls but nothing happens when i dial out. my mj is pluged into my pc....any suggestions?
Zachrey
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: can't place outgoing calls

memphis-greyhound wrote:
had mj for about 8 months no issues except incoming calls volume very low.

now recently something happened and mj will not allow me to place outgoing calls. I have reset unit and checked both incoming and outgoing calls.

i get a dial tone and can receive calls but nothing happens when i dial out. my mj is pluged into my pc....any suggestions?

Starting on December 13, 2012, our MJ Plus stopped working. No outgoing calls and incoming calls will not ring but go straight to voicemail. After tinkering with it a little bit, I think I know the solution to the problem. It needs an update?!

While troubleshooting, I plugged MJ Plus directly to my laptop and was able to send and receive calls just fine. While it was connected to the computer, a window popped up saying it was updating the software. I have not used the MJ app on the laptop in many months so I didn't know if it updated the laptop app or updated something on the little MJ Plus USB box.

Anyway, I plugged it back into the router and the little USB power supply and IT WORKED!!

So if your MJ Plus stopped working recently, try it on your laptop and see if it does an update and then try it back in stand-alone mode.

Good luck!
Zac
dacoleman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject:

I had the same problem, I could receive but not make calls. One additional thing I had to do besides activating "outgoing and incoming service" in my MagicJack account settings was to input my Static IP into my MagicJack account settings by unchecking DHCP. After I entered the static IP info all was fine.

I know this is an old thread but anybody googling for help may need this additional step like I did.

I'm using Comcast as my provider (Houston, TX) and a NetGear WNR3500 Router.

Once you login into your account you choose "Call Feature" from the Menu Bar across the top of the web page, then choose "Advanced". to change the settings I've mentioned above.

David

mjplus2000 wrote:
walou wrote:

Not sure if there's a way to look at your options through the softphone. I go to my.magicjack.com. Log in with your phone number and password. Go to my subscriptions. The 2nd item down allows you to set outgoing and incoming calls. Check to make sure they are both activated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: