Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack cant help me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimisbell
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack cant help me.

I have spent the better part of 4 hours a day for 10 days with the Second Level help and I still dont have it working.

It worked on the Thin Client from October to June and then that "upgrade" hit it and it crashed so bad MJ couldnt fix it. SO they sent me a new one. I finaly got it going on the desktop after a 16 hour marathon with MJ. BUT it still wont work on the TC anymore.

It boots ONLY by clicking on the Icon and clicking on OPEN. But will not boot by double clicking on the Icon.

After it starts, all looks good till it gets to where it tells me it isnt connected to the internet. BUT...I can use IE to contact My Magic Jack and communicate with the live help function!!! So it is obvious the internet IS connected.

It never brings up my number and never connects but it displays the keypad and my 911 address correctly, just not my phone number.

MJ is working otherwise however as it takes messages etc. But I cannot receive or send phone calls.

Any help would be appreciated.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Jim, if you're using one of the HP thin clients, is it possible that you're getting the update but not saving it on the flash ram? Not sure I'm saying that correctly. Just a thought.

OTC
jimisbell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:

That is VERY possible, but I dont have a clue as to how to fix that. The upgrade is saved to the Magic Jack, though, so shouldnt be affected by that quirk of the TC....unless I have missed something...???
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Jim, try Stroth's utility to see what version of MJ software you're actually running. If it's not the current one, 1.80.484.1 Dated 4/10/2009 then do the update for MJ then commit the update with little green icon in lower left of TC window.

Hope this helps.

OTC
barkndog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject:

jimisbell wrote:
That is VERY possible, but I dont have a clue as to how to fix that. The upgrade is saved to the Magic Jack, though, so shouldnt be affected by that quirk of the TC....unless I have missed something...???

After an upgrade (you can use MagicFix to make sure you're up to date) go to the EWF Configuration in control panel and select “Commit Data to Volume”. That writes the changes to the drive - otherwise, when the thin client reboots it discards all changes.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject:

is there a way to make it always save changes without doing that?
barkndog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Yes, you could disable EWF entirely, but I recommend against it. A great feature of the thin client is that if it gets hosed, or a virus gets on it, you can just reboot and it all goes away. You go back to your last saved good configuration. Running virus protection on the thin client takes up precious resources and could affect call quality.

Personally, I decided that once a month I would reboot, run MagicFix (which will get you the latest updates) and then commit the data to volume. Doesn't take that long and it's a lot safer.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I was asking because one of my TCs is running a 10GB HD and space is not a problem. But it may not have that feature anyway since I have a full up XP running on it. So unless that feature is not on the flash drive then it wont affect the HD
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject:

jimisbell wrote:
I was asking because one of my TCs is running a 10GB HD and space is not a problem. But it may not have that feature anyway since I have a full up XP running on it. So unless that feature is not on the flash drive then it wont affect the HD

A full copy of XP would not have EWF unless you manually installed it. EWF is a feature unique to XPe.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject:

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the conformation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: