Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
magic jack consistently causes computer to freeze up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decadude
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: magic jack consistently causes computer to freeze up

this just started today but my magic jack is causing my computer to completely lock up freeze up i am forced to hold in the power button to reboot. 110% certain that the magic jack is the culprit on this as well.

any insight in this would be appreciated
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject:

Although you may have included your equipment configuration in other posts on this forum, we don't have time to try to find it. Please post your configuration here, along with any hardware/software changes that may have taken place since it worked last. Simply stating that it doesn't work or freezes up is not sufficient information. Also, try to search the forum; I know this problem has come up before.
decadude
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: i have not changed a thing

i have not changed a thing

no new software nothing

xp home sp2

magic jack downgraded to 7.1 mb upgrade file
panasonic cordless 2.4 ghz phone
Tim Me
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: magic jack consistently causes computer to freeze up

decadude wrote:
this just started today but my magic jack is causing my computer to completely lock up freeze up i am forced to hold in the power button to reboot. 110% certain that the magic jack is the culprit on this as well.

One of my computers freezes everytime I plug something into a specific USB slot. Not sure why. Maybe there is something like that happening to you. Have you used that USB slot before?
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: magic jack consistently causes computer to freeze up

decadude wrote:

Bring up your task manager and monitor what exactly is tying up your memory. If you have a virus scan running, you will be using up more of your memory and CPU.

When MJ is running and your Softphone is open, you will be using more memory.

I have found if my system is trying to do a virus scan, my CPU is maxed out and I have had issues while trying to use MJ.

Depending on how much memory you have on your system, you might find that with multible apps running at the same time is bogging down your system.

You might also want to try clearing out your history and cookies....also delete any temp internet files as well.
decadude
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: good recommendations

good recommendations could be a ram issue i thought of this, but i did recently change phones so maybe it is that but the first day i used this phone i had no problems with it

i am crazy though i have another really good phone on hte way to test with this thing
decadude
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: testing confirmed

after a short while of testing the only thing I had recently changed but at first it was working without locking my entire computer up was the phone. at first the new phone i got off ebay was working like a champ for a day. i just tested calling 5 times my lock ups for my computer occured all with in 1 minutes of talking and one of the lock ups was at 3 minutes in. Went back to old phone one conversation lasted over 20 minutes no lock up.

I will keep testing but i was using the other phone for over a week the old one..

the new one which i think is the reason for my computer lock ups which is odd very odd. I wouldnt think the phone would be causing my computer to freeze but this has to be so. the phone that is causing the lock ups is a panasonic kx-fpg376 which has a built in fax. i dont know if this is the cause but i have a splitter in my setup so there is technically 2 fax machines in my setup as i also have a brother 420cn multifunction which i can confirm faxing does work if you set baud and error control off.

i will keep you guys posted but so far remember if your computers are locking up it could be the phone as the cause.
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I haven't heard of a phone locking up one's computer using MJ, but there have been alot of reports of various phones not working at all.

I think there is a list on one of these threads that list phones that work well with MJ.
KatLuvr500
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I am having the freezing issue as well. However mine occurs only when the computer is idle for a long time, such a overnight. I just disabled the power management options, except for the screensaver, to see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know. I'm running Win XP SP3.

Here is a followup to the post above. After thinking things over and noticing that the freezing only occurred when the computer was idle for a while, I changed my screensaver to a blank screensaver. This morning my computer was still running, nothing had locked up, so I think that was the issue. Screensavers use a lot of resources, so this may have been the problem.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:

I have the same issue as KatLuvr500.
Pretty much.
After a while of my computer being idle, my magicjack can freeze sometimes. Or it will be very slow and/or freeze temporarily every few seconds or whatever.
And if I pick up the phone sometimes it takes a while to get to a dialtone, or the dialtone never comes if it's really badly frozen. Or it will take me a few times of hanging up and picking up the phone again to get a dialtone

Drives me nuts.

It's even worse if msn messenger has been running for a while, on idle. Because msn messenger stops responding then I get a box from NVIDA control panel asking me if I want nvida control panel to stop managing my msn messenger because its not responding and it might cause other things that are currently being managed by nvida to stop responding as well.

bla bla bla bla bla

jeeze I wish the magicjack was just a god damn ATA, this would solve my problems.
savinis55
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: lock ups

I am having the same trouble. I bought the MajicJack because my brother has it and it works fine on his old PC with Windows XP. I have a brand new Dell D530 with Windows Vista; Dual-Core 2.5 Ghz; 2 Gb Ram. I have all the latest OS updates. Basically, I cannot go a day without MagicJack locking up my computer.

One workaround I have found is that when it locks up, if I remove MagicJack from the USB port, the problem will go away and the computer will unfreeze. That pretty much isolates MagicJack as the culprit. And, its saves me from a forced shut down.

I originally had very much trouble getting MagicJack to run at all. I eventually figured out it was a compatibility issue with Verizon Internet Security firewall. So, I disabled that and I am running Windows firewall now.

This problem also seems to be more prone to happen if I boot up with the MagicJack connected. If I boot without it connected, and then plug it in and run it, it does seem to run stable for a lot longer. Of course, this means climbing to the back of my computer every time I boot; not a viable option.

Also, once it locks up, I cannot do anything; so, I cannot go into Task Manager as mentioned above to see what is going on.
ratp0is0n
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: magic jack freezing pc

this happened to me, turns out i had plugged magic jack into a usb 2.0 port and it froze my entire pc after trying to use it to make a phone call.
i couldnt even terminate the magicjack.exe i had to restart my pc
once i switched it back to my built-in usb port it worked fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: