Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack Died on Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Died on Me

Has anyone experienced a Magic Jack simply stop working? Mine died yesterday. It worked fine in the morning but when I came back in the afternoon it was not working. XP Pro SP2 reported that "Windows did not recognize the device." And, "Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device."

There were no storms in the area, and my DSL line and computer are well protected.

I also tried different phones--ones that worked fine before.

I also connected it to my notebook, XP Home SP2 and got the same error message, so it looks definitely like a Magic Jack hardware failure.

Today, I after going through tech support hell ("Nicole", "Harry" "Irish" and "Therese") and performing all the software stuff they asked, they said they would send me another one.

I have had it since Feb 08. For what it cost, I am happy, but I didn't expect much at all from it.

Any ideas on what could have happened to cause the failure??
XoDiViAoX
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I've read alot of postings on here lately they're starting to break. Mine messed up and I had to go threw tech support hell too they told me twice they were going to send me a replacement, still no emails, still no replacement. They'll probably do you the same way.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. Oh, and I see that Magic Jack now as a great big "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau.

I was told to expect an e-mail confirmation in a couple of days.
HendersonMike
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject:

grw wrote:
Thanks. Oh, and I see that Magic Jack now as a great big "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau.

I was told to expect an e-mail confirmation in a couple of days.

As far as the BBB, 99.9% of the time, the only people that report anything to them are the ones who have a problem with a company, thus, their ratings ------ Take with a grain of salt.

Just like in 99% of the forums out there for different & various products/services. 94% of the postings are from disgruntled people who blame the product/service for their mis-fortunes - 4 % are from people who have had sucesses with the product/service - 2% are trolls
aone999
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Mine stopped working some days back. Tech chat was useless - they said they cannot give me a replacement because I am out of the trial period.

I sent an e-mail to Dan Borislo (for those who doesn't know - he is the inventor of MagicJack). Somebody replied on his behalf. After a few exchange of emails (about 5) in 2 days (which were about the same diagnostics the stupid techchat guys tell you), he agreed to send me a replacement.

I was not believing - but next day I got an email with tracking number. The Jack arrived in 3 days.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.

I am going to give them a few days (holiday weekend and all that, you know) and then send an email I saved a copy of the tech support text discussion, so I have some documentation about what was promised.

Once it breaks, there is no real alternative other than getting a replacement.

I have forwarded the MJ phone number to my cell phone in the interim. But I used it to make outgoing calls primarily.

I'll post anything I get.
twebdonny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Mine appears OTS as well

Tried all the troubleshooting with tech because I can not get any sound thru headset as soon as I dial out.
This is a new issue and all worked fine previously.
The device is just 2 months old and and "out of 30 day warranty"
tb01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Mine died, then revived...

2:23 PM 7/8/2008

Mine died, then revived...

I have indeed had the exact same issue previously. Device was deader than a doornail for about a week. Then it just started working again for no apparent reason.

From my first three extremely frustrating experiences of 'Tech Chat' I have decided that short of the device actually exploding (grin), I intend to completely avoid that avenue of raising my blood pressure and wasting my time. I have plenty to frustrate me with just keeping WinXP running (and only for mJ service!).

I also had a series of recent issues, which I posted here [http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/no-softphone-must-plug-devmgr-shows-m-dr-t2228.html], and may be of some benefit to others.

I hope you all get your replacement devices!!!

--tb01

grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mine died, then revived...

Thanks for posting your experience. I have been plugging mj into the USB port a couple of times a day, hoping for the same revival experience you had.

Same ole, same ole--neither XPSP2 or XPSP3 recognizes it--windows says it is malfunctioning and the device needs to be replaced. Doesn't even get as far as drivers.

I am also thinking about putting it in the fridge overnight to see if that might revive it.

I will keep you posted on my experience.

tb01 wrote:
2:23 PM 7/8/2008

Mine died, then revived...

I have indeed had the exact same issue previously. Device was deader than a doornail for about a week. Then it just started working again for no apparent reason.

I also had a series of recent issues, which I posted here [http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/no-softphone-must-plug-devmgr-shows-m-dr-t2228.html], and may be of some benefit to others.

I hope you all get your replacement devices!!!

--tb01

maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:

MagicJack did have a warning earlier not to install XPSP3. I don't know if that issue has been resolved.
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Putting MJ in the fridge is not a good idea. Any moisture build up on the circiut board and when you plug it back in, you can damage the components on the board.

MJ does not support SP-3, by using that service pack, your just asking for probs.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject:

maine-iac wrote:
MagicJack did have a warning earlier not to install XPSP3. I don't know if that issue has been resolved.

Yeah, you are correct. It appeared AFTER I installed SP3. However, mj seemed to work just fine with SP3. It automatically installed an mj upgrade at some point.

As a corrective measure, I removed SP3 and tried it with SP2. Didn't work. I also tried the mj on my notebook with XP home and SP2 (never had SP3). Same problem--did not recognize the USB equipment. So I have isolated it to the mj equipment itself.

Thanks for the observation.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:

lonestarmagic wrote:
Putting MJ in the fridge is not a good idea. Any moisture build up on the circiut board and when you plug it back in, you can damage the components on the board.

MJ does not support SP-3, by using that service pack, your just asking for probs.

\
Good point!

Scratch that idea.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject:

grw wrote:
maine-iac wrote:

Yeah, you are correct. It appeared AFTER I installed SP3. However, mj seemed to work just fine with SP3. It automatically installed an mj upgrade at some point.

As a corrective measure, I removed SP3 and tried it with SP2. Didn't work. I also tried the mj on my notebook with XP home and SP2 (never had SP3). Same problem--did not recognize the USB equipment. So I have isolated it to the mj equipment itself.

You might try removing the MJ software from the hard drive, reformat the MJ device, and then install the old MJ "downgrade". Those intrucations are somewhere on the forum.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject:

grw wrote:
maine-iac wrote:

You might try removing the MJ software from the hard drive, reformat the MJ device, and then install the old MJ "downgrade". Those instructions are somewhere on the forum.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject:

maine-iac wrote:
grw wrote:
maine-iac wrote:

You might try removing the MJ software from the hard drive, reformat the MJ device, and then install the old MJ "downgrade". Those instructions are somewhere on the forum.

Thanks! Great minds think alike. I wish you were right. I thought it might be a corrupt driver or sumpthin' like that. After trying again (without success) on my XPSP2 notebook, I plugged the MJ device into a USB port on an XPSP2 desktop that never had MJ installed. Still same error message: Windows doesn't recognize the device. Try again or replace defective device.

Lots of good ideas coming out here.
twebdonny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Still no luck

Still cannot get any sound on my MJ when I dial out from this laptop. I know its not a device problem as
I can use it fine from another PC. I tried all the typical fixes to no avail and am now at a loss.
grw
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Good experience to report. Tech Support said they were sending a replacement, and they did. They said I would receive a confirming e-mail in two days, but that never arrived.

Instead I contacted [email protected] asking about it, and I got a response!

As promised I received a MJ replacement via first class mail. Installed and up and running without a hitch.

Once the new device was up and running, I removed it and tried the defective device, thinking something may have changed. Still not working. I am about as sure as one can be that it is defective.

Perhaps overheating?? Could that be a cause.

The only other problem I have had is the inability to retrieve messages from a non MJ phone. Pressing * does not seem to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: