Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MAGIC JACK+DSL+Hawking Broadband Booster=Good Phone Audio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: MAGIC JACK+DSL+Hawking Broadband Booster=Good Phone Audio

I keep hearing people say the same things I used to say about the MJ sound. I had the same problems with the echos and clicking and delays before getting this device. Why MJ dosen't somehow incorporate this into the blue box is beyond me but they should have this booster available for people at their store. I may write Dan to suggest this because it makes all the difference in the sound quality of the incoming and outgoing calls. The price is all over the place depending where you get it but, it can be had for as little as 25.00 up to 80.00-Frys and Best Buy seem to have the best prices and there is a 30 day gaurentee. It has speeded up my pc and made the calls clear. If you have DSL this should be at the to[p of your list.
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=80&ProdID=216
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Hey,

I can't find these at either BestBuy.com, or Frys.com. Have you had better luck in-store?

Also, where else would you look? At least at Froogle, there is a place that supposedly has them for $19.99, but they're conveniently out of stock. The next price is eBay, at $39.99, if you win the auction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Here's some places I've looked:

Amazon.com = $46.00 + $8.70 shipping
BestBuy.com = Apparently not available
Buy.com = Apparently not available
CircuitCity.com = Apparently not available
Computers4Sure.com = $74.99 + free shipping
CompUSA.com = Apparently not available
eCost.com = $83.99 + shipping (OUT OF STOCK)
Frys.com = Apparently not available
NewEgg.com = $79.99 + $7.28 shipping (OUT OF STOCK)
ProVantage.com = $76.13 + shipping (OUT OF STOCK)
SupplySale.com = $242.84 + shipping
TigerDirect.com = Apparently not available

Hawking Technologies may have their own eBay store here, where refurbished ones are available for at least $39.99 + at least $12.68 shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I got mine for $25.00 at Frys a few weeks ago but it was on sale and there was only one more there. Did they look at the warehouse? I know they won't ship from the store itself. I would call Hawking Industries also. The one for $39.00 online I saw but it was used and they had them new for about 10 more. I'd go new with any electronics. Bottom line is that if you end up paying $50.00 for the thing, it's worth it. The little f---er works good! I can't understand why Frys is not getting more of them. If it didn't work even a little bit I would have taken it back a week ago. Frys is only 20 miles away.I sent Dan an email today telling him how good it works with the audio of the MJ and suggested that he sell them in his store to the DSL users who need some help with audio. It would be nice if he could sell them at a reduced cost to MJ subscibers. Their primary fuction is to increase the signal to any VOIP traffic. It does it's job real well. Remember, if you happen to have combination modem/router like I do, then you need to add a network switch to it. You need one extra ethernet cable as well. When buying it, get the shortest one they have-3ft. is plenty as the two small boxes are real small and sit side by side flashing their lights when the signal comes in and the boost light goes blue as it boosts the signal to increase the strength to the phone or whatever. Also-you will want to upgrade the firmware when you get it-the website to do it is in the owners manuel. If you get it and it dosen't help, send it back. You have 30 days with Frys.
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject:

GOTA-I just sent an email to the customer service dept. of Hawking Industries asking them why the thing is so hard to find and how come the price is all over the map. I also said they should fire the sales person for not doing their job to get this thing in the stores or do any advertising on a big scale. This device should be on the racks at Walmart and Frys should have them in their warehouse. Someone is dropping the ball and I told them they can't sell a product that nobody can find. People don't like paying for shipping when they can go to the local Walmart to get it. This device works real good especially with dsl and I told them to contact Dan and give him a good price so he can pass it along to his customers at a really good price. I have talked to their support people before so I should have a list by tomorro for ya. If they were smart they would cut out the middle man and sell the thing directly to the MJ customers at a reduced price.
Heritage227
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:

OK Guys,

I got one on eBay for $10.56 plus $8.50 Shipping That's $19.06

Not bad Very Happy

Used but who cares at that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170198657362&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject:

wow! was that new ? it had to be stolen lol-or used. So, have you noticed an imporovement in the audio and do you have dsl? I think Hawking should do a deal with Dan to sell them at a great price to his customers. I'll see what they say.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:

I just found a whole bunch more of the Hawking HBB1 on EBAY-2 of them are selling for 20 bucks are for sale now!
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Hawking+HBB1+BROADBAND+BOOSTER&category0=
Roozie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: LOVE THE HAWKING BROADBAND BOOSTER!!!

I just received the booster yesterday, hooked it up, and it was so easy. This is truly a plug and play device! Communication is super clear with the MJ. People I talk to absolutely do not know that I am talking via VoIP! I have used it on company conference calls, faxing reports to my headquarters, calling local and long distance, with no problem whatsoever.

Oh yes, one final point. I tested the Booster by talking to someone long distance with my MJ, while downloading several 50MB data files. Not one unusual burp, stuttering or tunnel-sounding effect in my conversation. If you don't have one of these devices, it is definitely a worthwhile addition to your network hardware. I found mine at Amazon.com and received $20 off by getting an Amazon credit card. My total cost was $26 for the unit.

Rooze
SIR****TMG
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy I just bought mine on ebay,Thanks for the heads up. Laughing
shampooguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Bought one, has zero positive effect.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:

sorry to hear that. You must have some other audio problem. Well, hopefully you can get your money bck. Frys gives you 30 days-or maybe you can sell it here. I just had someone ask me where to get one. You want to sell it?
magnum68
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I bought my Hawkins BB when I first got Sunrocket a few years back. It works great. Never had bad calls with it. I'm currently using it with Vonage and MJ. And the MJ sounds clearer than the Vonage line. I live in Florida and I have made calls to California, Texas, Mass, Hawaii, Alaska & even the Philippines using the Hawkins booster and MJ. I highly recommend the Hawkins BB. You won't regret it.

magnum68
NiceGuy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: I also have a Hawking booster for sale!!

I have a recently purchased (less than 2 weeks old) Hawking booster for sale. Its great for voip and improves the sound quality considerably. It's also very well designed with air vents to avoid overheating. I also tried this unit with the magicjack device (worked extremely well) but it will enhance any voip phone service. However, I decided to go with Skype and had also purchased a cordless Skype Linksys phone. The Skype phone works well enough that I don't need the Hawking HBB1 booster. I am only asking $40 plus $12 shipping. I paid much more for the unit but I don't really need it now. Also, this unit was purchased as new and is not refurbished; it has a 2 year warranty. Send me a private message or email if interested ([email protected]).
shampooguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
sorry to hear that. You must have some other audio problem. Well, hopefully you can get your money bck. Frys gives you 30 days-or maybe you can sell it here. I just had someone ask me where to get one. You want to sell it?

I'm switching to DSL here shortly (from Charter cable internet), so I'll try the Hawking with that. I guess I had high hopes...the blue light is on when I'm on the MJ, but quality is still crappy.
PTravel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Though the Hawking will operate plug-and-play, it may need manual configuration. Open a browser and type in 192.168.229.61. Hit ENTER at the username/password screen. Take a look at the information tab and make sure it has detected your modem type correctly. If you're running DSL and it shows cable (or vice versa), go to the configuration screen and manually set it to the correct modem. Also check the detected upload speed. When I first plugged mine it, it was detecting 256k when, in actuality, I have a 750k up link. It had incorrectly detected the modem type and everything was fixed once I reset it.

THEN . . . make sure that QOS is disabled on your router and for the network connection of whatever computer you're using for the MagicJack. The Hawking device provides QOS services and you gain nothing but a significant speed loss if you allow other devices on your network to tried to detect and provide them.
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks PT for that-I never noticed that on there. I checked and like yours, my upload was wrong. It also said 256. I reset it as well as the modem type. It was set to cable. I have dsl. Now, question. Do I put another check in the box and let it do the auto-configure or just leave the box empty? What will these changes do in terms of phone and dsl perfomance? Also, when people call while I'm playing a video game it's impossible to take the call. Too much interference. Is this MJ or the booster in your opinion?
PTravel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject:

I left mine set to xDSL but let it do auto rate detection. After re-booting, the information screen shows the correct upload speed (and the MTU setting also changed, which can make a critical difference).

As for calls while playing video games, as best as I can figure out the Hawking Broad Band Booster is a heavy duty, hardware-based QOS monitor and priotizer. What it's doing is, essentially, looking at each packet that wants in or out and determining which ones are time-critical and therefore deserve priority. I assume the video games you're playing are on-line -- they're time-critical -- and, of course, VOIP is time-critical as well. I suspect the Hawking device is giving priority to whichever "claimed" the data stream first. On-line games are coded to chew up as much data bandwidth as the connection will allow, leaving nothing for other time-critical applications like VOIP.

I use a thin client for my Magicjack, as well as a number of other server-based applications, e.g. ftp server, etc. I've also got it running Firefox -- as it's up all the time anyway, I can do quick google searches without having to boot up another computer. I find that, with the Hawking, I can surf with Firefox while doing VOIP without any noticeable degradation to the voice quality. This makes sense, as the Hawking will just meter the Firefox packets through the "holes" in the Magicjack VOIP stream.
saxman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject:

Yes, my upload number was reset also, as well as the input source. Why the auto detect was wrong is kind of strange but I went ahead and checked the box to let it monitor the settings. Your answer on the game/phone problem was good. Your probably right . The booster is giving priority to the game if it's running when the phone rings. What happens is that it will ring and just keep ringing one solid ring and when I pick up nobody is there. So, I look on the monitor and get their number and call them back. It's a small annoyance. I also get some interference on the phone if I'm doing big downloads. I can surf just fine and chat etc. but gaming and downloads are the problem while calling. I suspect if I had cable instead of dsl this would not happen. still a great bargain and no monthly phone bill is just great!
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Hawking HBB1

I was thinking about trying this out but I don't have a sepparate modem and wireless router. I have DSL with Westell 327W wireless router and modem combo all in one unit. Will this work with that type of set-up and how would it hook up.Thanks,Rick
PTravel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawking HBB1

smaerd58 wrote:
I was thinking about trying this out but I don't have a sepparate modem and wireless router. I have DSL with Westell 327W wireless router and modem combo all in one unit. Will this work with that type of set-up and how would it hook up.Thanks,Rick
There are two ways you can address this. First, you try disabling QOS in the router section of the Westell. Then just insert the Hawking between your computer and the Westell. I'm not sure if that would work, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. Second, you can put the Westell in "modem" mode (I don't recall what Westell calls it) and bypass routing functions altogether. Of course, then you'll have to get yourself another router, but that might not be a bad idea anyway. My experience with the Westell units is that they are not particularly good and have some significant issues with Vista machines.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I have an Actiontec modem/router combo , not wireless, but it works just fine. If your in doubt just call Hawking tech support. I'm sure it will work.
hvlqodvhinIyc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject:

These Hawking devices are four years old. Both Windows XP SP3 and to a greater extent Vista have much improved QOS built in than was available when these devices were introduced. Good on ya' if the Hawking box works well. Maybe look first at existing PC(s) and LAN and router configurations before buying just because I'm pretty sure a look after buying will still be in order.
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I have sp3 and I have had the Hawking booster for about 9 months. I got it because of the audio quality of the calls. Not good. It made a real big difference in the sound as well as speeded up the dsl overall. It works by seperating the traffic and it does a fine job. All I know is it works as advertised.
PTravel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject:

hvlqodvhinIyc wrote:
These Hawking devices are four years old. Both Windows XP SP3 and to a greater extent Vista have much improved QOS built in than was available when these devices were introduced. Good on ya' if the Hawking box works well. Maybe look first at existing PC(s) and LAN and router configurations before buying just because I'm pretty sure a look after buying will still be in order.
Those of us running HP thin clients don't have the option of installing SP3. Moreover, I notice a dramatic difference in voice quality between my home system, which has the Hawking, and the magicjack in my office which is run off a Vista machine running SP1. Microsoft's implementation of QOS is extremely problematic and actually causes wireless disconnect issues under Vista.
saxman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject:

PT-Question-have you noticed the audio improving with MJ when the internet speed has increased? Is the speed a big factor in the quality? Qwest finally got the fiber optic lines in my area and I upgraded from 1.5 mbps to 12, starting Tuesday. It comes with a free wireless modem and I think I may contact Hawking to see about the hookup for this. I don't think it should be any different from the modem I now have only this one will be wireless. And the speed will be super fast. Hopefully it cures the game/voip conflict I now have when people call.
PTravel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
PT-Question-have you noticed the audio improving with MJ when the internet speed has increased? Is the speed a big factor in the quality? Qwest finally got the fiber optic lines in my area and I upgraded from 1.5 mbps to 12, starting Tuesday. It comes with a free wireless modem and I think I may contact Hawking to see about the hookup for this. I don't think it should be any different from the modem I now have only this one will be wireless. And the speed will be super fast. Hopefully it cures the game/voip conflict I now have when people call.
My line speeds have been constant. However, I have found that, pre-Hawking, when I had internet intensive activities going on voice quality would suffer -- I'd get static, break-ups, drop-outs, etc. The Hawking cured that.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject:

For SM58-I forgot to mention that when you have a router/modem combo, you need to hook up the booster a little different. You need to put a switch between the booster and the modem. You plug the ethernet into the switch then out to the booster. Anyway I paid about 20 bucks for this little thing. Its made by Linksy-it's small like the booster. I still need to find out about the wireless as I will be getting a new wireless modem/router next week. I'm going faster and the old one won't cut it. For install instructions check out the Hawking site here-
http://www.hawkingtech.com/downloads.php?type=diagram&file_id=3133
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject:

Reviewed by: hugebean
Updated:09-05-06

Duration of ownership:3 Months

Strengths: Small footprint. Seems to be working flawlessly as my VOIP has been issue-free.

Weaknesses: Takes a little while to get going.

Overall Evaluation: This little gadget has made the transition to VOIP quite easy for me. My service has been great. When I have to reset the system it takes a little while to get going, maybe a minute or two but other than that it is great. I've found I need to power on my devices, in the following order, while waiting about a minute or two in between. Modem...Router...Booster...VOIP

Overall Rating
4 Star Review Reviewed by: snwalt1
Updated:05-22-06

Duration of ownership:1 Weeks

Strengths: Improved VoIP telephone connection.

Weaknesses: Engough with blue LEDs!!!

Overall Evaluation: I am constantly on-line downloading stuff or playing on-line games. This has always been causing a problem with our VoIP telephone service. Once I got this product and hooked it up I can download, play games, do whatever, and still have a clear connection on the phone.

Overall Rating
5 Star Review Reviewed by:
Updated:05-17-06

Duration of ownership:2 Months

Strengths: easy installation, no configuration, it works across a broad range of packet types.

Weaknesses: Lack of responsiveness of tech support. Lack of good documentation.

Overall Evaluation: This unit doesn't really "boost" your internet speed at all BUT it does effectively prioritize upload traffic and eliminate the latency due to large queues in the dsl or cable modem you are using. The end result of this is absolutely amazing. Any time you send an email with a large attachment, use bittorrent or any other file sharing system, download huge files very fast, etc. you can saturate the upload link and then a normal ping time will go from 15ms to 1000ms or more. This will make VOIP, Thinclients (terminal server or Citrix), or other realtime traffic unusable. It will also make websurfing painfully slow due to the latency for SYN packets. This router has its own queue and rate limits traffic so the dsl or cable modem queue never fills up with packets. Then it can decide what type of packet is most important (Voip, ACK, SYN, Etc) and send it ahead of other less important types (FTP uploads, bittorent, email attachments, etc)The end result is you can absolutely saturate an upload and download link on a cheap connection and still make a good VOIP call. I tested this product in an office building with a T-1 and DSL for backup. After installation I turned the T-1 off and just ran on the backup line with 15 people all using thin clients and nobody knew the difference. I measured ping times for a week and found that if a link was totaly saturated the device would add about 10-15ms of latency (awesome compared to 1000ms without the device).In summary, within 2-3 years every single consumer router sold in the world should have this technology in it, but you can have it today!

Overall Rating
4 Star Review Reviewed by: Chuckt3
Updated:05-06-06

Duration of ownership:5 Days

Strengths: Small size of unit AND it actually boosted my Internet

Weaknesses: Layout of device connections.

Overall Evaluation: I was very skeptical about a little piece of hardware actually being able to boost my broadband Internet connection, but it actually works! My Vonage connections never sounded better while I was downloading a bunch of files. I only paid $25 for this, and I would be willing to pay much more, after knowing that it actually works!

Overall Rating
2 Star Review Reviewed by: jamyan69
Updated:04-01-06

Duration of ownership:14 Days

Strengths: Speeds downloads

Weaknesses: On my VOIP connection, I still have situations where the person on other line can't hear me.

Overall Evaluation: I'm not sure if this device is helping my VOIP connection. So far, I haven't seen an improvement. Before I purchased it, I had this problem and I'm still having now.

Overall Rating
4 Star Review Reviewed by: 774
Updated:03-29-06

Duration of ownership:4 Days

Strengths: plug and play ease of installation, transparency of use, improves connection speeds

Weaknesses: none

Overall Evaluation: I have been using this device for about 4 months now and it does seem to make the internet connection more stable and smooth. I have not actually measured the throughput with and without this device but subjectively it is a noticeable (i.e., modest) though not a huge increase in speed. I think it is a good and useful device though I do wish the speed increases were better.

Overall Rating
4 Star Review Reviewed by: kaneohe7
Updated:02-15-06

Duration of ownership:10 Days

Strengths: Really works, easy hookup, little to no administration needed, solid feel to item not all cheap plastic

Weaknesses: Price could be a little lower and does not increase boost network connection by 400% as stated by manufacturer

Overall Evaluation: Overall I am very please with the Hawking broadband booster. It doesn't increase my connection by 400% but it does help speed up the connection. I am using SBC DSL 3MB download 512 upload and I notice the difference with this on. I use bittorrent quite a lot and I can now surf the internet and run my bittorent software at the same time. I have used Hawking network products in the past and have been a little disappointed in their quality, but not in this broadband booster. It is really put together quite well and has a nice solid feel to it.

Overall Rating
5 Star Review Reviewed by: m9a1x7
Updated:02-09-06

Duration of ownership:4 Days

Strengths: QoS Ubicom Streamengine algorithm; trafficks internet usage efficiently; works out-of-the-box w/ existing router/modems; no other product like it in the market

Weaknesses: Not the 400% boost that the manufacturer claims; normal web-sufing takes a slight hitch.

Overall Evaluation: Utilizing a QoS algorithm, Hawking HBB1 incorporates Ubicom's Streamengine technology to filter and traffic internet usage to provide a more efficient network bandwidth. Internet heavy applications (p2p, media streaming, VOIP) are given higher priority, allowing for a smoother connection when needed. Less lag equates better quality -- there is less lag when I play on Xbox Live and media streaming is smoother.Works right out of the box with any existing router/modem combination (modems w/ built in router requires additional configuration) with absolutely no need to configure -- it is all automatic. I literally plugged it in and worked right away.Performance boost within the 20-40% range. A great fit for any LAN/Wi-Fi network. Works great for gaming, media pcs.

Overall Rating
4 Star Review Reviewed by: googmall
Updated:12-13-05

Duration of ownership:

Strengths: Workds great

Weaknesses: Price.

Overall Evaluation: Imagine purchasing a piece of hardware that just works. Now, imagine that it costs only around $40 after rebate. This product is it. I use Voicepulse VOIP service and was experiencing choppy outbound sound quality during periods of moderate internet usage. After plugging this unit in-line with my router, the problems have disappeared. This a great product for anybody who is experiencing outbound sound quality issues with their VOIP services. It does nothing for the inbound quality so, if you have problems with that, move on. It's a great product to add QoS to any network without having to change your router. I have a Netgear FWAG114 router that is not anywhere near replacement age and was struggling with what to do about my VoIP service problems until I found this product. Configuration couldn't be easier. You literally plug it in and forget about it! All in all, it's a plug and play, no configuration required, high value product! Highly recommended if you're looking for better voice quality.

Overall Rating
4 Star Review Reviewed by: giaophan1
Updated:12-08-05

Duration of ownership:3 Weeks

Strengths: Easy to install. It works. It increases upload speed a lot. Beautiful package.

Weaknesses: Not 400% increasing claimed as ads.

Overall Evaluation: Just put Hawking HBB1 between the modem and router. It really works and optimizes network traffic. It makes network run smoother. It acts like a policeperson at 4,6... ways road. It prioritizes some data and application such as VoIP, internet gaming, P2P, uploading ... I use Azureus (P2P file sharing sevice) and I saw the upload speed increases a lot; so, we don't need to spend a lot of time on seeding to improve the share ratio (and save wear and tear on computer,too). Of course, the download speed increases too but not much for web surfing. If you have more than 2 computers on the network then Hawking HBB1 really works for you. But it is NOT 400% increasing. In my opinion, it only about 100-200% increasing. However, I saw many bursting speeds in download/uploading for short times. I bought it for $30 (after rebates) at Circuit City. I would buy the product again.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject:

SM58-I just got an answer from Hawking about the modem/router setup. The wireless hooks up the same as the wired one. No difference. That makes it easy.
iz6
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject:

Just bought one from E-bay. Cant wait to try it. I'll post my results.
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:

Great-Don't forget to do what the other poster said and check your settings on it- make sure it's saying you have dsl or cable whichever you have and the speed is close. Here's the post-
Though the Hawking will operate plug-and-play, it may need manual configuration. Open a browser and type in 192.168.229.61. Hit ENTER at the username/password screen. Take a look at the information tab and make sure it has detected your modem type correctly. If you're running DSL and it shows cable (or vice versa), go to the configuration screen and manually set it to the correct modem. Also check the detected upload speed. When I first plugged mine it, it was detecting 256k when, in actuality, I have a 750k up link. It had incorrectly detected the modem type and everything was fixed once I reset it.

THEN . . . make sure that QOS is disabled on your router and for the network connection of whatever computer you're using for the MagicJack. The Hawking device provides QOS services and you gain nothing but a significant speed loss if you allow other devices on your network to tried to detect and provide them

Mine was set wrong when I checked it-also-you may want to check your voip speed and internet speed before and after. I'm curious how much resourse the mj uses-maybe you can post that too-Is your modem a combo modem/router? If so, you need to put a switch between it and the booster. I just upgraded my dsl speed today from 1.5 mbps to 12! Super fast and cleaner calls. ps-if you need a switch get a Linksys sd 205 5 port-they are small, same size as the booster and the booster can sit right on top of it. And don't forget to pick up one more ethernet line.
iz6
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Mine is braodband wireless. There is an antenna with a modem I am assuming outside in a box, It run in the house via ethernet cable into a little half moon shaped splitter. It has 2 ethernet plugs. One is for cable from the outside box the other is for cable feeding the router. I am guessing the booster goes between the router and the splitter. Is that correct? My download speed from Speed test.net is 721 and upload is 237. Do you think this will help me?
saxman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject:

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=80&ProdID=216
this is the HBB1 setup page-it shows in detail how to install the booster. It sits between the modem and the pc.-There is a toll free number there and they will anwer all your questions-no problem, Really good tech support there. I don't want to give you any wrong answer but yes it will help not only your phone but any other device and the overall speed of the connection. Just makes the system run alot smoother. You can print out there support pages there and/or call them. Make sure the settings are right after getting it set up.
hvlqodvhinIyc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
I have sp3 and I have had the Hawking booster for about 9 months. I got it because of the audio quality of the calls. Not good. It made a real big difference in the sound as well as speeded up the dsl overall. It works by seperating the traffic and it does a fine job. All I know is it works as advertised.

I'm glad it's working for you. For others, it's important they know the Hawking Broadband Booster only shapes outbound traffic. When you say it improved DSL speed overall you indicate pretty convincingly that something else changed in your case.

The HBB prioritizes outbound traffic only. It's recommended use is for when several disparate services, such as web cam, a game console, a laptop game, and a PC sending e-mail all upload at the same time a voice call is being made. That's it. That's what it does: prioritize outbound VOIP traffic. The sound you hear, or lack thereof, are packets inbound to your VOIP client and unaffected by the HBB.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject:

What it does is just what it says it does. It improves the the entire system by sorting the traffic. It increaes the speed by doing this and the sound of my phone is much better. The cost is very little for such an effective tool for voip. Talk to anyone that has one. Ask if they want a refund? I have never heard one person complain about this device. Only skeptics that have a hard time believing that such a thing can actually improve the system. It does and if it cost 100 dollars I would pay it.Why this is not built into MJ or any voip phone is hard to figure. TigerJet voip systems is now making speaker phones with anti echo and anti static chips in them, so when they come out I may get one. They are working to come out with clear calls on voip.Until then Hawking runs my phone just fine.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: The Hawking Booster Information and comments

The Broadband Booster streamlines and manages data traffic for these applications for an overall better experience for all users:

-VoIP Inernet Phone Calls
-Web Cam Streaming Video
-Internet Cameras
-Online Console Gaming (Xbox Live, PS2 etc...)
-Online PC Gaming
-P2P File Sharing Programs (BitTorrent, Kazaa etc...)
-Web Servers, Web-Hosting
-Video Conferencing via the Internet
-Instant Messaging (MSN, AIM etc...)
-E-Mailing with Attachments

Features

-Boost the Speed of your Internet Applications by up to 400%
-Compatible with all Home or Work Broadband Networks
-Improves Email, VOIP, Web Cam, Online Gaming, Instant Messaging, and overall network performance
-Great for Networks with Multiple Computers (2 or more)
-Eliminates Lag in Online Xbox, PS2, GameCube and PC Gaming
-Plug and Play Installation, and Automatic Configuration

What Others are Saying About the Broadband Booster:

"...the HBB1 did a stellar job of preventing the FTP upload from degrading VoIP traffic."

- Tom's Networking

"Latency, known as "packet loss" in benchmarking terms, almost disappeared on a Vonage VoIP account. We tested multiple FTP uploads, Xbox and PC online gaming, and even fired up all those activities plus a Web conferencing session simultaneously and noticed very little packet loss. The HBB1 certainly performs better than the Quality of Service features found on some routers..."

- Laptop Magazine

"The numbers and figures speak for themselves. The Hawking Broadband Booster really makes a difference when a game or any other time-sensitive application has to share an Internet connection with other applications.
We stressed the Hawking Broadband Booster and the device responded in all scenarios, proving that it offers not just a marginal but a considerable improvement when it attaches to a home network. Even if in some situations games were not playable (because we intentionally created the worst scenarios), it is impossible to pass up the performance enhancement that results from putting the HBB1 into work."

- Team XBox .com

(Please check our reviews column for the latest awards and reviews for the Broadband Booster)
hvlqodvhinIyc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
Talk to anyone that has one.

I am. Right here. With you. You describe bottling smoke.

TCP/IP, DSL, and radio transcievers are not parts of the nether world where devices are improved by spells and magic. You seem to place stock in the Tom's Hardware review. Go read it. It goes into a little more detail than the quote from Hawking. It confirms what I say.

Neither positive affirmation nor advertising copy are solutions to network connectivity troubles.
iz6
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Mine will be delivered tomorrow. I'll post my results ASAP. I have high hopes....just hope Im not disappointed
iz6
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Well I got it and have it working. It has improved the quality of the calls, and has sped up my download speed from around 460 to 520. And upload from 188 to 231. It has also got my fax machine so that it can send a fax. Still wont recieve on but it will send now. The biggest improvement is in the other 2 PC's in the house. Much quicker. I think it is well worht the investment.
wease
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject:

I also just got one and it has really helped my MJ quality and internet speeds.
Best thing i ever bought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: