Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack Faxing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jc2020
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Faxing

Anyone tried to fax using magig Jack?
Is there a way to use multiple magic Jacks with one computer?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Faxing

jc2020 wrote:

No for fax....yes for multiple jacks with one computer...you could install a virtual machine...but what are you trying to do exactly?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Faxing

jc2020 wrote:

I have tried faxing, and it works. Just needed to adjust my fax sending to the lowest transmission rate.
As far as multiple - it's not supposed to be able to do this. You can have multiple MJs behind a router or on a network but not on the same computer.
garybritt
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject:

On the original forums before they were closed someone posted a message that described a procedure for running more than one magicjack on the same computer. I don't remember everything but it had to do with running each magicjack as a service under a different logon account and handling some related problems that might crop up from running multiple instances of the targetjet phone drivers. Might have to install them more than once under different hardware names somehow. Something like that.

A procedure only for the dedicated and knowledgeable types who don't mind doing trial and error to make it work.

Gary
SpamBox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject:

garybritt wrote:
On the original forums before they were closed someone posted a message that described a procedure for running more than one magicjack on the same computer. I don't remember everything but it had to do with running each magicjack as a service under a different logon account and handling some related problems that might crop up from running multiple instances of the targetjet phone drivers. Might have to install them more than once under different hardware names somehow. Something like that.

A procedure only for the dedicated and knowledgeable types who don't mind doing trial and error to make it work.

Gary

I can see how that might work. Maybe under different user accounts, it could work. Hmmm might have to get it a try.
jc2020
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Faxing

SpamBox wrote:
jc2020 wrote:

I have tried faxing, and it works. Just needed to adjust my fax sending to the lowest transmission rate.
As far as multiple - it's not supposed to be able to do this. You can have multiple MJs behind a router or on a network but not on the same computer.

thanks SpamBox,
But what do u mean by behind a router or a hub?
This is a USB device, I'm not what you are talking about. can expalin to me a little bit more about using it with a router or a hub?
thanks
jc2020
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Faxing

SpamBox wrote:
jc2020 wrote:

What about receiving faxes?
AtlBlackBear1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
jc2020 wrote: What about receiving Faxes?

I have been able to send and receive facxes on MJ line. I have noticed that "Autoanswer" mode does not work. I had to manually receive the fax by answering the phone and then hitting the fax receive button.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Faxing

jc2020 wrote:
But what do u mean by behind a router or a hub?
This is a USB device, I'm not what you are talking about. can expalin to me a little bit more about using it with a router or a hub?

Talking about using multiple MJ's. You can't (well not easily...) use multiple MJs on the same computer. You can use multiple MJs on different computers but the same cable modem/internet connection if you're using a router, which if you had multiple pc's running & connected to the internet then you probably already have a router in place. So it's a moot point.

Just so it's in plain-speak:
1 MagicJack for each computer connected to the internet (yes I know there might ways to get multiple jacks running but not by using the standard install methods)

--------------
Maybe that should be a campain slogan for a politician - instead of the old "a chicken in every pot" "A MagicJack on Every Computer"
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject:

I can periodically get a fax to send using MJ. On the other hand, I can consistantly send perfect faxes over my other VOIP system, Phone Power, using either my Brother all-in-one printer/fax or my computer's fax modem. I can't receive faxes on either line so I use a free service from www.k7.net to get my inbound faxes received via email as TIF files.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject:

I should of mentioned earlier, I haven't tried receiving yet.
rayray
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I have a 3 way spliter one going to a fax and one going into a cordless phone. everything works great i have faxed before this and i heard of no issues. I send more then i rec so i cant coment on that. but everything looks fine with the 3 way spliter.
dcham1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Magic Jack Faxing

I have had a 75% success rate with faxing with Magic jack. I have a Brother 575 Fax machine. I do the following to get mine to work: 1) I change the compatibility mode to basic 2) I put a DSL line filter on the Magic Jack 3) I turned the overseas mode to "ON".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trek101
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject:

Faxing via the dongle is hit and miss. You will have to set your speed settngs to 9600 bps or slower to be reliable. Utilising on an ATA which supports T.38 Fax Relay makes it a little bit reliable over VoIP and I receive an average of 5 faxes a day without too much issues. Making sure that you deactivate call waiting before sending helps alot...
Anon3
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack, routers & faxes

Hi, I'm considering purchasing 2 MJ's. I need certainty on the subjects of routers & faxes before I jump in and buy them. Would I need to get a particular brand of router to accommodate Computer #2 and the fax machine? If any router is likely to work, I'll go for the cheapie at Wal Mart. Thanks!

P.S. I'm delighted to see this unofficial site, as I probably would pass on the whole idea, with their customer "no service" reputation. Thank you all very much!
maine-iac

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject:

If you have read any of this forum, you will note that when it comes to MJ, there are no certainties. What has worked for one person has not worked for another. There are too many variables involved. You may need to just try it to see if it works for you.
threeputting
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Faxing

jc2020 wrote:

Yes. All you do is when the magic jack is plugged in and running. Take a regular phone cord from the phone your using and plug it in the back of your computor or where you have a phone jack on the computor. I used the microsoft fax with windows, under accerrories, communication then click on fax. Works great.

Also you only need one MJ program to run two MJ's Just not at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: