Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack Fixes and Myths - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikiate
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Fixes and Myths - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL

Magic Jack Fixes and Myths - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL - New!
by Hikiate - 9/7/09 9:46 AM

In reply to: MagicJack installation problems -- here's a great fix! by botalo2008

Arrow Works:
Upgraded Software http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
Hot Fix http://www.magicjack.com/site/downloads/mjrecover_setup.exe
Cut holes in your router firewall
Reformatted MJ from My Computer (go to Task manager>services>end process for anything saying “MJ” or Magic Jack. My Computer and right click both Magic Jack Icons and Choose Format-NOT YOUR “C” DRIVE or EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES!!!!!)
Had MJ Customer Service reformat my drive remotely
Scan and Fix – Do this when it pops up
Vista Right-Click “My Computer”>advanced settings>Advanced>performance> settings>Advanced>virtual Memory>Custom Size>set both boxes to “recommended (see below boxes)”; Reboot

Evil or Very Mad Worthless:

Background is favored (performance settings)
Switched UBS jacks
Tried different phones
Disconnected Virus (in most cases)
Made MagicJack.com a trusted site
Rebooted Router
Replaced physical Magic Jack at my expense (in most cases)
Write Dan an evil letter
Made MJ a high priority (slows do the computer and MJ boot)
Tried using extension cord; not using it
Tried using powered hub, and without

Key words: Magic Jack, MJ, Dan Borislow, YMAX, Free Phone, IP Phone, Help, Internet Phone, USB Phone, Softphone, Soft Phone, SP Phone, MagicJack, MJSetup, Help, Reformatt, VoIP, Magic Jack Hack

mel2000
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Fixes and Myths - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL

hikiate wrote:
Evil or Very Mad Worthless:

Tried using powered hub, and without

While that one didn't work for you it has worked for many others, including myself. Far from worthless.
hikiate
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: I am glad it worked for you

I am glad it worked for you-the Magic Jack was a nightmare for 8 months for me. I am glad you found a simple fix.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I also have to disagree with the powered usb hub. This is one of the better suggestions out there. I just picked up an old and very cheap laptop. MJ is the only thing I have running on it and my calls have been better than ever. It worked fine on our desktop but now with the laptop, powered usb hub and all the servers blocked that I don't want to use my calls have been as good as they have ever been.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:

As of the past two updates setting the process of magicjack.exe to high is unnecessary.They finally optimized the code to run smoothly and the response time is much improved.

but I still wouldn't rule out that for someone as it might end a garble sound when MJ is conflicting with another software program.

And so it goes with many of the MJ fixes listed,only a couple apply to any given problem/computer.
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject:

Many of us here have had great success using a thin client dedicated for magicJack. They are small, low power machines that run MS XP embedded OS. When configured properly, they perform very well and most can run headless (no monitor/kb/mouse required).

There are tutorials on this site on how to configure mainly the HP 57XX TC's, but little support for other brands. Do a search for Thin Client on this site and see what you come up with. Also, ebay is a good source for pre-configured or "magicJack ready" thin clients if you're not up for the task yourself.

I pretty much can guarantee one of these little guys will solve your problems. I had nothing but problems when I first got my MJ running on a C2D E4300 w/ 3GB Ram and Vista. Calls disconnecting, continuous dial-tone, no dial-tone, callers can't hear me, choppy audio, poor call quality, won't work w/ a fax machine, the list goes on.

Then I got my first thin client. WOW, what a difference. Call quality is excellent and I can shut down my power hungry PC. Nobody can even tell that I'm not on a landline. Plus you won't be bothered by the softphone popping up every time you get a call. I now run several in my home and office and NEVER have any problems. I even run one dedicated as a fax line. Check em out...
maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Alpman,

What was your success in using MJ as a fax line? I have tried and not had any luck.
Alpman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Don't even try to use it on a Vista machine. It won't work and I've tried several. It was 50/50 hit or miss on my other office XP machine especially if I was runniing any other programs.

I now have it running off of a 667Mhz thin client with only 256MB memory and its near perfect. The only thing I had to change was the baud rate on the fax machine. Set it to the lowest speed possible. Mine is set to 9600. The 14400 setting worked most of the time but I would get communication errors about 20% of the time. I've only had one communication error since I changed it to 9600 and it only takes a few more seconds to finish the transmission at the lower setting.

Hey, it works and that's what counts. I saved my company about $350/yr switching my fax line to MJ.
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Thin Client

I bought a thin client already configured for MJ from e-Bay and the MJ almost always works great. I tried lots of the stuff mentioned elsewhere and this was the best and easiest solution for me. Well worth the $60-$90 for the thin client. Search "thin client magicjack" on e-Bay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: