magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

magic jack goes back to dial tone when making a call

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonytony24
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that problem as well. What I noticed is that it happens to either of the following:
Area Codes which belongs to some small town.
Free Internet based Telephone Service (free phone conferences) and etc.

Could it be some kind of agreement that MJ and other providers have not agreed to?

Just curious. I usually just bypass this by calling using my grandcentral #.
Tron00
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that problem whenever I reboot the computer. I then have to go to "Advanced Users" and "Restart" Magic Jack. Once I do that everything works fine until the next time I reboot the computer. Then I get the dial tone issue again until I restart MJ once again......
will_1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Update from my first post Reply with quote

Since the first issues with the returning dial tone i have not had any issues at all with the jack in fact i feel confident enough with it now that i called ATT and canceled my rip off phone servive that was costing me 47.00 month average with no long distance or directory assistance.
I will report any future issues i might have and will be montering any that others might have
hardlyw0rking
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, bingo! I have Windump running on the MagicJack box and TCPDump running on the SmoothWall. I wasn't sure what to look for.

john_navarro is absolutely correct.

One of my problems *IS* the MagicJack proxy refusing the call.
doublehelix
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed call drops as you mentioned, on using either MJ device or ATA for long calls. If you talk less than 10 mins or so, everything seems fine. On 12th drop today, just decided to stay out of a conf call. Constantly drops exactly same intervals. Amazing but the call quality when active has been crystal clear (no sliences, delays, or noise).
doublehelix
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. I was asked to be back on the calls. Now the drops are between 2 min 28 sec - 3 min 2 secs all the time. Will be the cell for a while and play bad battery card to stay out of this call... Ouch.
Strafejumper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update from me:

my mj has never really worked, i get dial tone more than i get through

It comes in and out on its own, i wait 15 minutes and try again and it works, then after 5 minutes its not working again.

This makes testing difficult, because i change some settings and then it works so i think oh i have found the magic setting out of 100's that makes MJ work! And then i get dial tone again and i realize the setting didn't change a thing.

So far i have not identified the problem but have eliminated some possibilities:

I tried a different phone (corded)
I tried a different PC (however both PCs XP SP2)
I tried forwarding ports 5060 to 5060 and 5070 to 5070
I tried disabling XP firewall and my routers firewall - linksys wrt54gl
I tried disabling AntiVirus on one PC and the other PC has no AntiVirus installed

None of these things had any effect

Today though i have had some success -
when i am stuck in dial tone hell - make ten attempts to call 4 different #s and get dial tone everytime - i go to:
MJ Softphone menu -> Advanced -> Restart
and then i can make some calls. But then 5 mins to an hour later i get dial tone again. When i get dial tone people cannot call in either.

This is not acceptable to me so i'm going to keep trying to get MJ to work, if i have time the next step probably will be to hook directly into the cable modem (where is my friend with laptop when i need it lol)
Strafejumper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i tried plugging in directly to the cable modem no router, seemed to help with the dial tone so i could actually make a few calls. But the voice would break up every so often and so it was not pleasant to use.

After a few months of tinkering to find out that the quality of the service is not really usable is disappointing. I was actually hoping to cancel my land line and use magic jack but its not going to work for me. Planning on installing tomato firmware anyway on my router so I'll try one last time for the heck of it and then I'll be looking to return or sell my mj.

I knew going in though that $55 US dollars for a year of service was kinda YMMV , no plans on taking a $220 risk on ooma after this experience

- Also, i tried calling friends cellphone from MJ and from landline and there was a big difference, but calling a landline seemed to be much less difference, maybe MJ for some reason is not good at calling cell phones, haven't tested really though other than the one call
tailspinner
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strafejumper wrote:
Planning on installing tomato firmware anyway on my router so I'll try one last time for the heck of it

Did you try Tomato?

I have a WRT54GL and was having the dial tone issue, too. Upgrading the manufacturer firmware did not help. Switched to Tomato v1.23 and the MJ is working smoooth.
aoeu00
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in another thread, I also confirmed the dialing a number which is busy gives dead air then dial tone. From my land line, it just responds with a busy signal (as it should).

I really wish the developers would resolve this issue either with their servers and/or the MJ software to gracefully handle this (by giving a busy signal instead of dead air/dialtone).
kriscrash4x4
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: need help call gets dropped Reply with quote

im having the same problem i need to know what program this is so i can test my connection

Code:

15 106.869191 172.17.1.5 67.88.218.6 SIP/SDP Request: INVITE sip:[email protected], with session description

16 106.979443 67.88.218.6 172.17.1.5 SIP Status: 100 Trying

17 107.020024 67.88.218.6 172.17.1.5 SIP Status: 603 Decline

18 107.020794 172.17.1.5 67.88.218.6 SIP Request: ACK sip:[email protected]
TransferCutter
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem - goes to dial tone.

Reading, I see many are using the WRT54GL.
I wonder if this is where the problem.
Some have said the problem goes away after switching over to tomato

Anybody else having this problem and using the WRT54GL?
thedavids10
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the exact same problem and am using the same WRT54GL also....i got magicjack chat online and they "rebooted" the magicjack "on their end" was her exact words, but it seemed to work fine....no dial tone problems after that
TransferCutter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebooted on their end. Never heard that 1. Might have to contact them and ask for that. Right now, I reboot it before I want to use it.

If yours is still working without any problems in a few days without you haveing to fo anything, please write back and let us know.

Thanks
computer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: magic jack goes back to dial tone when making a call Reply with quote

will_1 wrote:
I ve had this magic jack for a couple of weeks now and it has worked fine on my laptop. I just got a desktop and it worked for one day now when ever I try to make a call it immediately goes right back to a dial tone.

I talked to customer service and after going through all of the steps they told me to do still goes back to a dial tone any suggestions thanks.

In this case , you can try to end the magicjack.exe process frto ur task manager and then can unplug your MJ for 30 seconds, After that you can place a call
TransferCutter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransferCutter wrote:

Updating my own post....

My MJ has now worked perfectly and continually for 4 day without a glitch. I upgraded the firmware in my Linksys WRT54GL router to Tomato. Seems that the router was the problem.
josuecebs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransferCutter wrote:
TransferCutter wrote:

Updating my own post....

My MJ has now worked perfectly and continually for 4 day without a glitch. I upgraded the firmware in my Linksys WRT54GL router to Tomato. Seems that the router was the problem.

I have had Tomato firmware on my WRT54GL since I got my magicjack and I still get a dial tone after dialing. As soon as I reset the network connection or the magicjack it starts working fine but within 24-48 hours its back to dial tone after dialing again... I think this proves that the WRT54GL (or its firmware at least) is not the cause of the problem.

This problem is really starting to annoy me!
TransferCutter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - April 22 and still working. Have not rebooted computer or MJ. Both running 24/7.
pjt1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up and running on 2 MJs 24/7 since 2/18/09. Have not rebooted either MJ or PCs.
jrhowe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Back to dial yone Reply with quote

Got this last week. Rebooted, then worked fine. Haven't had it again YET
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: