Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack has really bad static
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sniper123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack has really bad static

Ok out of the blue magic jack has been acting up. When I get a call the static is just out of control basically making the conversation not worth having. I don't know what caused this all I do know is I have unplugged re-plugged magic-jack and have rebooted my pc still same thing continues. This static noise is like when a real bad cell phone or cell loses reception. I did notice the static got bad and then magic jack disappeared. replugged magic jack it was working. The static is noticeable when you speak up or receive a call dial tone is clean.

I thought the static was a passing phase turns out its very continuous. any resets I can do? or advice?. Im worried that this magic jack isnt so great now this annoying static is happening very often Sad.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject:

I am also experiencing this problem, and have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. The only other thing I could think of was that the device was for whatever reason, not functioning properly anymore. When I talked to MJ customer service, they told me I would have to pay ANOTHER $39.95 to get a replacement.

Let me know if you figure this out, because its gotten to the point where I let my voicemail pick up and email people, unless its really urgent in which case i have to use a neighbor's phone. Aaargh. I wish MJ would support its customers and quit yanking us around.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject:

Oh, and you can also try using a headset, that seems to eliminate the static issue, though if you are anything like me, this "solution" won't be quite good enough.
sniper123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject:

good news i tried my other laptop and its..... fine. So I think it is pc specific. Dont know why but I will plug in the magic jack back into this laptop some day
devinmccloud
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject:

Sniper, it says a lot about your intellect when an individual tries to troubleshoot the situation and use his brain instead of just getting frustrated and claiming MJ fraud (cross post ramblings). I applaud you. I think this is a problem the Magicjack owner never saw coming, the fact that there would be so many variables related to the individuals computer that could cause problems. You might want to try and clean out your usb port, it's possible to get hairs and all kinds of garbage on the contacts. It's hard to say, but that could be the static problem. While your at it, open your case and spray it out. I try to do this once a month to all my pc's. If that fails, you may want to check for EMI or Electro magnetic Interference. In the pc world it's known as "jitter" or "crosstalk". Jitter is the destabilization of a signal as it travels across the media. Too much jitter and the signals become unusable, which is why so much effort is expended in protecting against jitter-causing conditions such as EMI and crosstalk. I am not sure how much protection a rj-11 cable or telephone cable has. Might be something to rule out....just a guess.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:

I've found that PC specific noise is usually related to CD/DVD burner drivers/programs and USB driver programs like the one that runs my back pack drive.

Best results is when MagicJack is run on a fresh dedicated machine. choppy,garble,static noise can result from these drivers.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

congrats man, I'm glad your MJ works on a different machine! Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, mine does not. As to the comment regarding jitter and hair in the usb ports, neither of those seem to be the problem, my ports are all cleaned out, I just built the box MJ is running on from a new clean case, and the MJ still has the static problem even when every electric item in teh house is turned off, and I use a corded phone. I had thought before that maybe interference was the culprit, and so bought a shielded case and tucked the MJ inside, but that made no difference either. I'm willing to try all suggestion, but I havent run across many people with new ones. :/
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Wyrdmage wrote:
congrats man, I'm glad your MJ works on a different machine! Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, mine does not. As to the comment regarding jitter and hair in the usb ports, neither of those seem to be the problem, my ports are all cleaned out, I just built the box MJ is running on from a new clean case, and the MJ still has the static problem even when every electric item in teh house is turned off, and I use a corded phone. I had thought before that maybe interference was the culprit, and so bought a shielded case and tucked the MJ inside, but that made no difference either. I'm willing to try all suggestion, but I havent run across many people with new ones. :/

it's possible the connections on the MJ board, that go to the RJ-11 connector may be the problem with yours, since it seems to "travel" with the MJ dongle to any computer.

It may also be the phone connector itself, or dirt there too.
Sometimes static is an analog problem.
Remember, all digital signals are, usually, analog first, (Analog to Digital converter, ADC), or converted to analog from the digital bits, (Digital to Analog converter, DAC), so this may be a simple connector or solder problem on the board itself.

Wave soldering sometimes may leave a cold solder connection on some pins, causing it to be good one second and off the next second.
This can cause a "crackel" sound, like static, when it deals with analog sound, going to or from a DAC or ADC.

one other thought Smile are you calling the same person as the test?
Maybe their phone wire is doing the crackeling, and not your MJ Razz

but, if you call your own MJ #, for voice mail, and you still hear the static,
chances are, the bad connection on the connector inside the MJ, or your own phones RJ-11 plug, or phone wire may be the cause.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:

wow interesting post. Razz I have "tested" calling many numbers, the result is always the same. Also, I have tried multiple phones, of various varieties, so it's not a phone issue. I cleared out the jack that the phone plugs into on the MJ, and the problem is still there. So basically all thats left is a bad MJ right? Correct me if I'm wrong cuz most of what u said confused me. XD
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I cleared out the jack that the phone plugs into on the MJ, and the problem is still there. So basically all thats left is a bad MJ right? Correct me if I'm wrong cuz most of what u said confused me.

YES, grasshopper, if all you have tried, outside of the MJ dongle, has not yet solved your problem, it is then safe to assume, the MJ, as the last item not looked into, Razz ... is the source of the static.

Sorry to confuse you with the techno babbel in the last post, but, simply stated...

there could be a bad connection in the MJ dongle, that goes to the actual RJ-11 jack, or anywhere else in the analog path of that board

what I was saying in the other post is, a source of the crackel, or static, could be from the analog signal before it's digitized and sent to the computer.

If you can't open your dongle, or if you don't want to, I'd say try to send it back.
BUT, if you have some knowledge of circuitry and what a bad connection, or cold solder joint looks like, you could look for it yourself, instead of sending it back.

It could also be a part in the board, anywhere along the analog path as well, like a transistor, or even the IC itself, screwing up the analog signal, but if it's a simple bad connection, you may spot it, if you know what to look for, and save yourself the trouble dealing with the MJ company.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:

OMG I think I love you! In a completely platonic, non-sexual, friendly way....you know what, forget i said it. Razz Anyways, my dad is a comp tech and taught me years ago how to fix busted circuit bords that just need some soldering. I'll crack this bad boy open and see if I can spot the problem, if not maybe he can. THANK YOU!!!! XD
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject:

Wyrdmage wrote:
OMG I think I love you! In a completely platonic, non-sexual, friendly way....you know what, forget i said it. Razz Anyways, my dad is a comp tech and taught me years ago how to fix busted circuit bords that just need some soldering. I'll crack this bad boy open and see if I can spot the problem, if not maybe he can. THANK YOU!!!! XD

I'm curious if you were able to troubleshoot the problem?

it could also be one of the interface parts,
... transistor with internal junction breaking down,
... resistor / capacitor with a hairline crack,
... anything in the analog path of the RJ-11 conector.

not JUST a bad connection of a part on the board, ...

it can even be a hairline crack somewhere on the boards trace patterns.

if you have a simple signal tracer (analog of course Very Happy ) it could help to give a clue where the crackle starts
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I dont have a signal tracker, and I cant find anything wrong with the board itself, although that doesnt mean anything. The problem persists, unfortunately.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Wyrdmage wrote:
I dont have a signal tracker, and I cant find anything wrong with the board itself, although that doesnt mean anything. The problem persists, unfortunately.

you may be able to get a signal tracer from Radio Shack

with analog signals, ... a simple signal tracer is just an audio amplifier,
like the one here...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620&cp=&sr=1&origkw=signal+tracer&kw=signal+tracer&parentPage=search

Smile

I think it already has an input "volume control" on it, but may need a capacitor to the Plus input side to keep unwanted DC from entering, if it doesn't already have one there.

it should at least be enough to trace the different sections of the RJ-11 jack area, including the transistor inputs and outputs (base, collector)

you'd start from the RJ-11 jack and work back, through the transistors, resistors and caps to see if the crackel stops closer to the main chip.

sadly enough it could be coming from the main chip analog out that goes to the actual interface area for the RJ-11 jack... but if it's starting after that, you'll stop hearing it at some point along that line.

The part that has it at the output and not at its input is the part that's bad.

YOU DO KNOW that you'll have to test this circuit when it's actually powered and connected to a call, unless the crackel starts even with idle mode, BUT, it will have to be powered by the computer and active, so be careful you don't short anything 'cause it will make the computer either reboot, from the momentary loss of the 5volts DC on the USB port, or if the system is really old, may short out the power-supply, so maybe your dad can do it, or with dad looking on with you , is the best way. Wink

I have a schematic of a possible close likeness to the Magicjack interface for the RJ-11 and Ringer Circuit, it's just a small JPEG picture file around 300KBytes... and the RJ-11 with Hook-Switch circuit, is around 110KBytes

Click the thumbnails to get the full size pix.

if you don't see the thumbnails of it above, you may have your firewall blocking "Banner/Skyscraper Ads" pictures.

I don't know how close this is to the parts actually on the MagicJack, but it can at least give you an idea of the type of connections , parts and wiring, that may be similar on the magicjack.

Wink

To save the pictures to your hard drive, easier ...

you can click the links below to just get the JPG into your browser, without all the other stuff from the website of the picture servers, I just realized it may work when I checked out the properties of the picture on the site Very Happy

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/sp/3eb76eff9158a75c5a8053a229844146/Schematic_RJ-11_and_Ringer_Circuit.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/sp/6754de7b99d775b44078c8d4fcf5e76c/RJ-11_Jack__Hook-Switch_-_To_Phone.jpg

if not, 'cause the number in the middle of the link is generated by my unique login, just click the thumbnail and check the pictures properties, on that picture server site, for the link unique to your login,...
... (RIGHT-MOUSE-BUTTON click , over that picture , to see that menu)
mike72172
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Poor sound/static when using a connected phone

It's interesting when I use my magicjack with my bluetooth headset it sounds great; however, when I try plugging a cordless phone into the MJ it is static all the way. I'm using a powerd USB hub and those individuals on the other end of the call do not hear the static. three phones now and each one has the issue. I'm now using a Dect 6.0 cordless from GE. It does not get the caller ID and my end sounds like a bad cell phone connection. If you have any ideas I'm willing to try. All MJ support would say is use it through the headset.
stevewide
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I have the same problem with hearing static, especially when someone calls me. I purchased DECT 6.o phones, added 5600-5700 wireless port openings as MJ suggests on their website, checked background priority under advanced tab in system properties, checked "use default devices" under audio settings in the sound tab of control panel...all with no improvement.

What else can do?

What I haven't done is present all this to MJ for their suggestion.

Steve
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject:

stevewide wrote:
I have the same problem with hearing static, especially when someone calls me. I purchased DECT 6.o phones, added 5600-5700 wireless port openings as MJ suggests on their website, checked background priority under advanced tab in system properties, checked "use default devices" under audio settings in the sound tab of control panel...all with no improvement.

What else can do?

What I haven't done is present all this to MJ for their suggestion.

Steve

you could also have a defective unit with a crack or bad connection of the board, or transistor, or other part, on the analog sections.

have you tried the magicjack on another computer?
if yes, did it also have static as the other installation had?

if no static, then it's something with the system you first used it on.

If yes, then it could be the magicjack dongle, with either a bad part or crack or cold solder joint, in the analog section.

you could troubleshoot it with a signal tracer, as shown in my last post to Wyrdmage.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor sound/static when using a connected phone

mike72172 wrote:
It's interesting when I use my magicjack with my bluetooth headset it sounds great; however, when I try plugging a cordless phone into the MJ it is static all the way. I'm using a powerd USB hub and those individuals on the other end of the call do not hear the static. three phones now and each one has the issue. I'm now using a Dect 6.0 cordless from GE. It does not get the caller ID and my end sounds like a bad cell phone connection. If you have any ideas I'm willing to try. All MJ support would say is use it through the headset.

is the computer being connected to the Internet thru a wireless connection
...if so, the wireless phone could be messing with each others frequency

have you tried a normal wired phone with the Magicjack?

as for the caller ID not working,... many posts here about putting a 100K ohm resister across the RJ-11 connectors of the Magicjack... or somewhere in the line, to the phone.

If you're directly connected to the Router, or Modem, to the Internet
it may be a bad connection, bad part (transistor, resistor or cap), or crack on the circuit board pattern, in the analog section of the MagicJack.

It could also be the wireless phone creating the static thru the circuitry of the MagicJack by way of magnetic induction, ... especially if there's a bad solder connection on a part of the analog section, or even digital section, of the Magicjack

The Magicjack starts to act like an antenna to the RF noise, and it goes everywhere within the circuit

Try a corded phone and see if the static goes away.
also, try a different computer with what you have now, to see if the first computer is the fault.
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject:

There's no reason for you guys to need to use the soft phone or headphones to make a call-that's bs and the MJ tech people are wrong in telling you that. You didn't pay to use headphones. Have you both tried other ports and have you plugged it in without the cord? Have you tried it on other computers and tried other phones?

If you did all that and the sound is still really bad then there's a problem with the MJ and you should not have to pay for another one. They should give you another one. I have the device called the Hawking Broadband Booster and it made my calls real clear.
It seperates the signal and cleans it up so your calls are clean. If you guys have tried everything and have gotten no love from the online support people then, if you want, email me and I'll give you the owner as well as the main tech support persons email address and they will be more then happy to get the thing fixed for you. I just can't post the address here and flood them with letters. I'm Rob at
[email protected]
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
the Hawking Broadband Booster and it made my calls real clear. It seperates the signal and cleans it up so your calls are clean.

I think that device is QoS in a box. It doesn't clean signals. It just detects protocol the protocol of packets, like RTP (VOIP voice) and gives it priority over other packets.

You can do the same thing spending $50 on a Linksys WRT54G and replacing the firmware with Tomato. You'll have a lot more control over the priority rules.

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I paid 30.00 for The HBB1 Hawking Broadband Booster brand new and it seperates the signal thus cleaning it up. The calls are much more clearer then before. It does boost the speed of the signal by sorting the traffic which increases the overall speed. There is alot of happy Hawking users with MJ out there. You'll find alot of them on here and there are already other threads here discussing this. I've had MJ for a year now and the difference before the booster and after is really big. I also have the Tiger Jet anti echo software working-it's free. I tried many things to make this thing sound as clean as the regular land line and most of the time now it is. It also helps to have a fast connection speed. When I jumped from 1.5 mbps to 12 it made another positive difference in the call quality.
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Here's a CNET video review of the Hawking Booster and how it can help your phone sound better. It shows a price tag of $79.99 but you can find them much cheaper online on EBAY or I got mine from Fryes on sale for $30.00. Regular was $40.00.-Simple to set up-just plug it into the modem and run the cord to the computer. Nothing else to setup or adjust. It starts increasing the audio quality and the speed right away. Read the reviews from users. I think Dan should have these devices for sale at a special price for his customers. I asked him and he liked the idea.

http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-accessories/hawking-hbb1-broadband-booster/4505-6461_7-31398247.html
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
I think Dan should have these devices for sale at a special price for his customers. I asked him and he liked the idea.

I agree. It could be useful for people who don't want to delve too deeply into things like routers and QoS.

But, I'd be careful saying it separates and cleans signals. It's just giving priority to some packets at the expense of others, using QoS which is available in routers, but requires a level of expertise to setup. It's apparently based upon some hard-coded parameters which the customer can't adjust. For example, someone might want to give VOIP higher priority than games. But, this Hawking device might give equal priority.

The problem with saying it cleans and separates is that it may mislead those who use QoS in their routers. If they use Hawking the dual use of QoS would interfere with each other. (Aside from being a needless expense.).

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Some routers like mine don't have QOS settings-I have a combo router/modem. The info I'm posting is the same thing from the company web site. It does boost the signal and it does seperate the signal-Thats what it does and it does it very good and very fast and easy. Just plug it in. I can now do big downloads while playing video games and use the MJ all at the same time with no audio interference at all. Before the booster that was not possible without loss of audio quality. How it works I don't know but it does and for 30 bucks I'm happy and so are all other users of this device. I have yet to see any complaints with this device.
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=80&ProdID=216

This is the company page for the Hawking Booster-
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
The info I'm posting is the same thing from the company web site. It does boost the signal and it does seperate the signal-Thats what it does

Trust me. There's no magic occurring in the Hawking device. You don't get something for nothing. It's just QoS. Giving priority to known applications/protocols at the expense of others.

Their description of the product is misleading. They say it boosts traffic, increases speed by 400%. That's really only half true. It does that at the expense of other traffic deemed to be less time sensitive. So, it could be said it decreases speed too.

It's just a balancing act. It increases speed of some things that are more noticeably degraded when competing for limited resources.

It sounds like a useful device tough. I'll remember to recommend it more as an alternative to typical QoS in a router for people who don't want to immerse themselves in the details.

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:

"trust me"? lol-thats funny-I speak from not only my own experience but the testimony of many other satisfied Hawking users. This thing does not rob Peter to pay Paul. It does prioritize the signal but not at the cost to other programs running. I see no loss to any other programs. My calls are clean and clear and I play big, high action games that require alot of resources to run, while downloading movies all at the same time. Now, before the booster my calls sounded terrible when I tried this. Now they don't.
So, your theory is flawed. Seperation without degradation would be the actual end result. To suggest that this will steal signal from one area to give it to another is just not how it works. And who would want anything that did that anyway? It SEPERATES yes, but-It's not choosing one over another. and the proof is in the call quality. And for less then 50 bucks it's a great investment and a must have for dsl users with VOIP- you can adjust the QOS on your router all day and still not get the call quality you would with this device-TRUST ME! There are alot of MJ users here that have tried-I'll see if I can find some old posts about this on here-We discussed this alot a while ago-
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:

az-Here, I found an old post about MJ and the Booster:

"Vincent on August 26th, 2008 4:16 am Lets get a little real here. What can you expect for $20 a year? Well I have a router on my network and the calls all had a lag of one second. So i replaced my old router with a newer one with QOS and it helped but not that much. I then bought a device called a Hawking Broadband Booster HBB1 and enabled it and the routers (Linksys) QOS and thew lag is gone. the Hawking device is a lag illiminator. Now the magic jack is like a real phone service. Before this. it kinda sucked. Oh and I had to disable the windows QOS in the network settings. So in conclusion my system is 6 years old, with a router linksys BFSR41 ver.4.3 and a Hawking Broadband Booster HBB1 connected to a Magic Jack and it work great now. The Hawkings Broadband Booster HBB1 made all the difference
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
This thing does not rob Peter to pay Paul.

Without using the device, and doing nothing else on your computer, go to speedtest.net and do some tests to see what speed you usually get.

Install the device. Call 909-390-0003. This is the echo test phone number.

Start a speedtest.net test while counting from 1 to 100 into the echo test.

This is actually a good test to demonstrate how well the Hawking device works (if you also do the simultaneous test without it too). But, the above test will show you that it can only achieve quality/timeliness for some protocols (like RTP, which is the protocol carrying your voice over MJ) at the expense of others.

You should see the upload and download speeds drop about 100kbs. If you have a very high speed or variable connection, I don't know how easy it will be to see it. But, I have a consistent 1500/250 speed. It's very easy to see my speed drop to 1400/150 when performing the above test.

That's just the way QoS works.

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject:

too much work-it works fine the way it is and I just did two different speed tests yesterday with the Qwest tester. My dl speed is 12 mbps. Can't remember the upload. Why is this test of yours needed again? I don't see what the point is. The booster works fine-ask anyone that has one. I don't know what else to tell you except that you should get one if your phone sounds bad. End of story-
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:

saxman wrote:
Why is this test of yours needed again?

You said it doesn't accomplish its improvement in quality at the expense of other traffic. The test I mentioned will show you that your up/down speed will decrease somewhat.

The test is also useful to demonstrate to others the improvement caused by the Hawking device (or any QoS). Just call the echo phone number, start a speedtest, and speak into the phone counting from 1 to 100. Do it with and without the device (or, any QoS device).

saxman wrote:
The booster works fine-ask anyone that has one. I don't know what else to tell you except that you should get one if your phone sounds bad. End of story-

I already use QoS with my router. I agree that QoS can be helpful. I think there are differences in implementation. For example, I've read a few people say DD-WRT's QoS doesn't produce the same quality as Tomato's.

So, the Hawking device could be useful too. Especially for those who don't want to delve into the finer details. But, I think the Hawking page is a little misleading. It overstates what it's doing. You can't get a 400% increase in speed overall using QoS. Protocols that are prioritized can achieve that relative to the speed they'd have if they compete for a saturated connection. But, they can only achieve it by slowing down competing protocols. The echo/speedtest thing I mentioned should demonstrate that (if you have doubts).

Mark
cougar11211
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Here's what I think. The heck with soldering this or that, or buying this adapter or that one. Why should a consumer have to do this?
Maybe MJ should put up a sidebar saying their product is marginal and they have sold more than their technology can keep up with.
MJ should offer a free replacement if one is having problems with the orginal one.
Something has happened to their product. Too may issues in the last month or so.
My Vonage is on the way. Had enough of disconnects, garbled conversations, and updates that dont work.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:

cougar11211 wrote:
Here's what I think. The heck with soldering this or that, or buying this adapter or that one. Why should a consumer have to do this?

MJ would work a lot better if they sold an ATA adaptor to plug directly into your router. They could (from what I've read) use a codec that compresses the voice 4 times more than what is used in the softphone. Evidently they can't use this codec with the softphone because it would use too much CPU and possibly degrade the quality of the call. If they used this codec on a decicated ATA processor, there'd be less VOIP bandwidth usage to juggle; less reason for QoS, etc.

The original business plan was to generate revenue through targeted ads. But, since we haven't seen any ads after a year, I'm thinking that idea isn't panning out. Makes me wonder if MJ will adapt a more traditional business model (ATA adaptors, higher prices, etc.).

Mark
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor sound/static when using a connected phone

mike72172 wrote:

Two things Mike, you can fix the caller ID with the 100K Ohm fix and do you have a wireless router. If you have a wireless router try turning off the RF in the configuration page for the router and see if the noise goes away.
sligg1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject:

cougar11211 wrote:
Maybe MJ should put up a sidebar saying their product is marginal and they have sold more than their technology can keep up with.
MJ should offer a free replacement if one is having problems with the orginal one.
Something has happened to their product. Too may issues in the last month or so.
My Vonage is on the way. Had enough of disconnects, garbled conversations, and updates that dont work.

I go back a long way with MJ also. You are going to use Vonage as a replacement. I'm dissatisfied with MJ's problems, I'm going with Ooma. Have you considered Ooma for your use?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:

sligg1 wrote:
I'm going with Ooma. Have you considered Ooma for your use?

Ooma's business model looks questionable to me. They essentially overcharge for an ATA device, front-loading the cost of their service, tying it to hardware, and then give "free" service after that.

Everyone knows you don't get something for nothing. They will rely upon hardware sales in the future to create revenue (to pay their costs associated with "free" services for previous customers). This strongly resembles a pyramid scheme. At best, it begs the question whether Ooma can provide "free" service forever.

Personally, I suspect the over-priced ATA device has a feature to allow Ooma to disable it after a period of time or usage. The story will be "gee, it must've gone bad. You'll have to buy a new one." (A stealthy way to have pay-as-you-go.).

The whole Ooma thing looks suspect to me. I'm leery of MJ's business model too (since we haven't seen any targeted ads yet). But, as someone else noted, you don't have to speculate as much with MJ. Just a year ($20) at a time. I did 5 years for $100. Ooma is a big, multi-year speculation ($250).

Mark
LAFitz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Static on toll-free calls only - What's up with that?

From the moment I got it, my MJ has worked exceptionally well in both making and receiving calls to private numbers. However, I get terrible static when dialing any toll free number (800, 877, etc). Can anybody explain this?

Laurie
Chris "hack"
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Static on toll-free calls only - What's up with that?

LAFitz wrote:
From the moment I got it, my MJ has worked exceptionally well in both making and receiving calls to private numbers. However, I get terrible static when dialing any toll free number (800, 877, etc). Can anybody explain this?

Laurie
I can't explain it but maybe can make you feel better knowing I have similar issues with long distance calls. Local calls sound fine but calls out of my area code are noisy on the receiving party end. They complain that my voice is hard to understand but I hear them perfectly.

The problem has been since the August update that fixed my Panasonic cordless phone not dialing out. Now the Panasonic dials out fine but some "beeping" started at the same time, but beeping seems to have been fixed 95% by MJ. The noisy-choppy audio is reported by very few Forum posters so I don't feel confident the problem will get fixed by a mj update.

I've been working on this for more than 4 months to no solution. I've followed the few suggestions on the MJ site, the many ideas here. Changing proxy helps some calls but it's so random that it does not prove that the trouble is fixed. It may be [in my case] the cause is the ISP, Time Warner Cable, especially since it is near impossible to prove without their cooperation.

remember that my problem is poor audio on the other end, I hear fine on my end
Some strange symptoms:
When using headset, terrible audio is "sometimes" heard on both sides of conversation but never with pots phone
Calls to Florida are always fine, area code 727 [Magicjack's home base 3000 miles away].
Calls to the MJ test number are usually fine, 60 miles away [909-390-0003].
Calls to area codes even only 30 miles away are borderline unusable, area codes 562 and 949.

some things tried:
4 different phones, and eliminate phone entirely using only headset
4 different computers including one with fresh XP install
2 different routers, one linksys and one dlink
direct connection to internet modem
setting high priority for mj process [in task manager] and background services
writing a batch file to change proxies in order to force test individual proxies

My conclusion is that the problem is somewhere in the internet connection with magicjack's proxies. I've ruled out the dongle itself since two friends (mj owners) have the same problem, all in the LA area but all different ISPs. I have not given up on the problem but I will NOT be renewing mj service (expiring in 4 months) unless it gets fixed. This problem makes mj entirely unreliable and unusable.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Chris "hack" ... I feel your pain, but I'm not ready to give up on my MJ, although I sure have thought about it at times. Thanks to redpepper and sabresfan, I think I have found a workable solution. I have been testing the pcphonesoft Skype and Xlite plugins and I've been very pleasantly impressed.

I set up accounts with both Skype and sipgate and don't have a strong preference for one over the other. Skype requires me to use my cell phone number for the outgoing caller id. For some reason, sipgate is sending out a blocked id instead of my Google Voice number I tried to set up; however, Support is looking into it and has escalated the issue.

So, now if the MJ dialtone is sketchy or if the call starts to break up while ringing, I hang up and rollover to Skype or sipgate. Certainly not a perfect solution, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger for ooma or the tk6000. This seems to be an acceptable workaround... at least, for me.
Chris "hack"
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Darkman for your response. It helps to know there are others with the same problem, to know it's not just me making user errors. Another difficulty with this problem is that I never know it's there until somebody complains and those people are not [really] willing to sit by the phone answering it all day while I troubleshoot it. I have tried going into the phone book and looking up business in the area of question and making test calls to them but can't trust what they say since they just want to get me off the phone and go back to work [100% have said audio is fine].

On a similar note, I was troubleshooting choppy video streaming for a friend over his home network. It turned out that setting a [buffer] delay of 2000 - 3000 milliseconds fixed the issue. With MJ, that delay would make the call unusable too since people would be talking on top of each other.

Darkman90808 wrote:
So, now if the MJ dialtone is sketchy or if the call starts to break up while ringing, I hang up and rollover to Skype or sipgate. Certainly not a perfect solution, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger for ooma or the tk6000. This seems to be an acceptable workaround... at least, for me.
I do similar with my cell phone, not the preferred solution but at least the call can be completed and done with. And for $20 a year I just may renew the MJ account even though it has rendered itself into the "toy" category for me.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Another difficulty with this problem is that I never know it's there until somebody complains and those people are not [really] willing to sit by the phone answering it all day while I troubleshoot it.

ROTFLMAO! If I had a nickel for every one of my friends I've used as a guinea pig for my MJ, I'd have a jar full of nickels. They're *really* losing their patience with me over this. I'm glad I'm not the only one, too!
WCMencken
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna power down my modem and power it back up after a few minutes and see how that works.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject:

WCMencken wrote:
I'm gonna power down my modem and power it back up after a few minutes and see how that works.

That's fine.
mastdesi
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject:

I bought majic jack a week ago and i have the same static issue ( noise like computer fan running in background ), I can hear it on my end always and sometimes on the other end also. i have windows vista on a athlon 2600+ 2.0ghz, 512 ram and 5mb/800kb dsl internet, all computers are on the same network using a dlink router. but when i used my dual core computer with windows 7 i get perfect quality, but now i switched to my worst computer IBM NetVista 6792, win XP, 256 ram, 2.0ghz and it works flawless, crystal clear quality.

I think this problem is with the usb port power or something. If anyone can figure this out it would be great.
Debbie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I was having the same problem (people could hear me fine, but they sounded like they were talking underwater to me). I figured I just made a bad investment and simply didn't use the magicjack for a few weeks. Today I was trying to be careful with my cell phone minutes (which was the original reason I purchased the Magicjack). I got fired up and decided to try to figure this out. From past experience with my computer/software issues, things like this usually end up being something simple, so I started out simple. I clicked on Menu (in the Magic Jack icon on my desktop). The first selection was 'Switch to telephone' Hmmmm I thought, of course I want it on telphone, so I clicked on this, then tried another call--VOILA! Fixed. I went back to look under menu after I completed my call, and it now reads 'Switch to Headset', so that must have been something I accidentally clicked on before I started having the problem. You would only click on this now if you want to use the headset (it probably won't sound right if you have it in telephone mode with a headset, but I can't attest to this, as I don't have a headset). Anyway....

I hope this helps some others out before they give up (like I almost did).
tinner44
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject:

I had the static off and on for years and have tried a number of solutions including upper level mj support. Itís not a hardware problem Iím sure here are things I have tried that did not work or help
Many different phones including hard wired
Different usb ports
Reboot computer
Reboot router change router
setting high priority for mj process [in task manager] and background services
None of these things made any real different
If I use a wired usb headset it helps for a while
When the static gets bad enough I canít dial from phone
Had MJ upper level support go into my machine and make changes, which work temporarily
I have 7 computers hard wired in my house and by just moving the jack to a different computer all the static is completely gone, but only for 2to4 weeks and then I need to move it again. to a computer that once had the static problem and now will work. I had it installed in one computer and when it quit working I changed my hard drive with windows xp to backup copy and it worked perfect no other hardware changes. I didnít move or unplug anything but the hard drive. It has to be something in the software. Any ideas?
tinner44
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject:

uninstalling and reinstalling my cd-rom drivers also cleared the static . Now to see how long it will stay static free
Taggert_LOA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: re: static

here is some info i got from magic jack support. it cleared my static issues right up. i was pulling my hair out before this fix. it involves opening ports on your router.

Start > Run > Type in cmd > Press ENTER
A command prompt will open
Type ipconfig > press ENTER
Make note / write down name of the default gateway and IP address
Open your Internet Browser
Type in the default gateway IP (Example: 192.168.1.1)
Type in Username and Password
Find "Port Range Forwarding" and forward port range 49152 - 65535 UDP for the IP address you located earlier.

like i said my magic jack was unusable before this fix. now it works like a charm.
ayami
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

FOUND IT!!

EUREKAAAAAA :)

IF you have very bad background static noise when using Magic Jack by USB AC Adapter but no problem when connecting it into computer USB port,

It is all about USB AC ADAPTER.

Seems they degrade in quality over time and cause very back noise. I am using my mobile AC Adapter and no problem at all. My magic jack became almost useless because of such a bad noise since last year.

Just make sure to use a USB AC Adapter with 2Amp (2000 milli Amp) output as its original one is same. I am not sure it really gets that much current but better to be in safe side.

Most mobile phone adapters have output less than 1Amp (mostly under 850 milli Amp)
rehgarde
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

ayami,

I had to register just to log in and THANK YOU!!

Today, I started hearing a high pitched noise on the phone. Then, static came and the phone was useless. I changed the USB AC Adapter and I have my phone back!

I use MJ plugged into the router, not the computer. It did work fine on the computer. I thought it was wires in the house or a MJ problem.

A million thanks!!
gdp
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Phone line static

Try Changing your USB Power Adapter. The static on my Phone was so bad I had to have people call back on my cell. Second problem I have had with the power source using magic jack. Now the first place I look when things suddenly don't work for no reason at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: