magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack Now Charges By The Minute For Call Forwarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palerider0098
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Magic Jack Now Charges By The Minute For Call Forwarding Reply with quote

Check it out for yourself...When you Buy New or Renew You Will Have To Buy The Minutes You Get Each Month For An Annual Fee.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Stela'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554083462663X

Stela: Hello, how may I help you?

Chris: Mine line is up for renewal on 11/1/2012 and I need to know if I will have to pay for call forwarding when I do renew?

Stela: We do not have the update for the call forwarding yet and it is not yet available on your account portal. However our engineers are working with it and it will be back soon.

Stela: Check your account portal from time to time.

Chris: Not what I asked you: I am up for renewal in a couple of weeks so will I have to pay then?

Stela: Yes, for the renewal you need to pay to renew.

Chris: or will it still be included in the package?

Chris: READ WHAT I TYPE PLEASE! Will I have to pay by the minute for call forwarding after I renew?

Stela: The payment for renewal is for the service/subscription of the device, other features that needs payment will not be included and you may pay it separately.

Chris: Is Call Forwarding still included like it is now or will it be extra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Chris: Just a simple yes it is or no it is now please!

Stela: As I have stated above we do not have the update yet for the Call forwarding.

Stela: We are not allowed to give a guess since it is not available yet. Our engineers are still working with it.

Chris: When will you have one?

Stela: We do not have time frame and we are not allowed to give a guess.

Chris: Engineers do not make ploicy, they fix stuff

Stela: They took the call forwarding feature since they are still updating and working on it to serve you better.

Stela: So please wait for the update from time to time. Check your email address or your account portal.

Chris: You are not allowed to say jack...I know this. I have asked more than once and all I get are incorrect vague answers and lies
LessImpressed
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Call forwarding Reply with quote

I am hot and cold about this. I've been using MJ for years. I upgraded to MJ+ when they decided (finally) to allow prepaid years and vanity number to be transferred. The conversion was quick and easy (except for a couple of brain checks on my part) and I bought a new year and number for my old MJ. Happy camper so far. Except, of course, that I had to pay $25.95 for the new year on the old MJ instead of $19.95. And that I couldn't add the free year that came with the MJ+ to the prepaid time I transferred. The free year is a gift, not a part of the MMJ+ price. They did send me an email before I added the 5 year plan to the old one stating they were increasing the price, so I WAS forewarned.
Then I found that my Call Forwarding feature was gone. They gave me the https://web01.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html link which worked well enough to turn the feature OFF (I had turned it on before doing the upgrade), but now it doesn't work any more.
My primary use of call forwarding was for when the service is down (not infrequent) but now it's like any other phone line outage.
Secondary use, and the reason I bought the new number for the old MJ, was to ensure I was able to catch all calls related to the sale of my house. Now that doesn't work. May have to rethink the need for two Magic Jacks.
Bottom line, I guess, is that I still save a BUNCH of money compared to ATT, Bell, ComCast, Vonage and other VOIP and hard-wired alternatives. Call quality is really good. Haven't tried a fax yet on the MJ+ but they say it should work. Using a line splitter with L1, L2 and L1/L2 jacks, I plug my MJ into L1, my MJ+ into L2 and my house receptagle into L1/L2. Then I can operate a 2-line phone from any receptacle in the house. Of course, I had to clip the AT&T wires coming into the house first.
I'll probably keep both MJs and pay the $4.95 a year each for call forwarding. But then again, I may vote with my feet on the new number. There is a competitor for MJ. NetTalk. Same kind of device and everything. AND they offer free call forwarding.

Last edited by LessImpressed on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Palerider0098
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: URGENT MESSAGE: Call Forwarding News Release! Reply with quote

***PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE - VERY IMPORTANT***

You are now chatting with 'Mary'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554083473443X

Mary: Hello, how may I help you?
Samuel: If I buy a Magic Jack USB phone thing today does it come with call waiting included, or is it extra?
Mary: Let me assist you with that.
Mary: Call waiting is free with magicJack, Samuel.
Samuel: okay so if I were to go buy your older usb model right now and set it up online that would be included?
Mary: Do you mean the Standard magicJack?
Samuel: yes I do
Samuel: Standard=USB Plus=TCP/IP Only
Mary: Yes, that would be included.
Samuel: and would that be the same for one that I purchased last week?
Samuel: How about Call Forwarding, is that free as well?
Mary: Yes, call waiting is available with magicJack devices.
Mary: Unfortunately, call forwarding is currently unavailable.
Samuel: I noticed in that when I logged in under my number for the older ones that I own it is still there

Samuel: My new one does not have this feature in my account control panel

Samuel: how much does it cost now, I do need this feature

Mary: Yes, it is unavailable as of the moment.

Samuel: okay so how about an answer for my other two questions

Samuel: How much does it cost?

Mary: The call forwarding is not available as of now, so I cannot provide you the price.

Samuel: Is this Technical Support or Sales?
Samuel: Hello?
Mary: Do you mean the price for the call forwarding feature?
Samuel: No, I mean which department are you? I clicked on sales but your replies sound like the "Live Help" in my MJ Control Panel.

Mary: I am under Technical Support. However, we also offer billing.

Samuel: Shocking...Once again nice job lying to Current Customers!
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palerider0098 - You're using the wrong web address to access the call forwarding setting for older, pre-existing accounts. The address that you MUST use to reliable get to it is simply my.magicjack.com/call-forwarding.html (you MIGHT have to add https:// in the front of it, but I don't). - NOT the specific web server address that you might have accessed it through before.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that a receiving phone company (other than MJ) generally charges a call termination fee for each and every MJ-forwarded call that it receives, and that MJ probably at least sometimes needs to pay a third telecom co. for some calls that are forwarded to a non-local number as well, I can see MJ requiring a per-minute fee for forwarded calls beyond a certain number of forwarded calls (or forwarded minutes) per month or year, and for calls forwarded to numbers whose phone company MJ does not have a termination fee agreement with. But to charge a per-minute fee for every minute of all forwarded calls is ridiculous. They should just up everyone's annual fee a bit and be done with it. But NO, they want to keep nickel-and-dime-ing us, little-by-little, bit-by-bit, so that the company can show its stock investors a steadily increasing profit over time. I think this strategy will ultimately backfire.
LessImpressed
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Call forwarding Reply with quote

Me again. I'm curious now about a couple of things.
Folks (including me) are bitching and moaning about an ANNUAL fee of $4.95 or $19.95 for 100 or 500 MONTHLY minutes of call forwarding. Nobody seems to be complaining that they upped their basic annual fee for the license to use the device from $19.95 to $29.95. Put the two together and they've added a BUNCH to their bottom line. NetTalk at http://www.nettalk.com/duo offers a product that's pretty close to identical to MJ+, costs $20.00 less to purchase (you can get it at WalMart), comes with FREE CALL FORWARDING (check the website) and has the same annual license fee as MJ now charges for MJ AND MJ+.
So:
1. MJ+ is $69.95 w/1 year and NT DUO is $49.95 w/1 year.
2. MJ+ and MJ are $29.95 for 1 extra year, NT DUO is $29.95 for 1 extra year
3. MJ charges extra for call forwarding, NT doesn't.
I believe MJ will be losing business.
But back to my original thought - annualize the call forwarding charge:
$4.95 for 1200 minutes (100/mo * 12 mos) in a year is 4.125 CENTS a minute.
$19.95 for 6000 minutes (500*12) in a year is 3.325 CENTS a minute.
By the way, I haven't seen whether or not unused minutes roll over.
MJ's asking to lose customer base to NetTalk.
LessImpressed
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Call forwarding Reply with quote

SteveHC -
I have tried every iteration of the address that I can come up with, including the link from the saved chat. None of them work.
This reminds me of the Obama tax issue. I'm gonna vote him out, too.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyna: Hello, how may I help you?

WEB: I was trying to figure out why call forwarding disapeared and I have been reading that Magicjack is going to be charging for this service when it comes back. Is this true?

Reyna: Let me help you with that.

Reyna: I apologize however we do not have the exact information since the said maintenance is not yet done WEB.

WEB: That doesnt sound good.

WEB: That means pricing is being disucused.

WEB: When I purchased magicjack it said call forwarding was going to be included.

WEB: Now its been down for about 2 months with NO sign of when it will be back and no promise that it will be INCLUDED anymore.

Reyna: Please wait while I check that for you

Reyna: Thank you for waiting. As I have re checked here, yes WEB you are correct there is a charge for the said new call forwarding, however for now it is not yet accessible.

WEB: I thank you for checking on that.

WEB: However that is bad news.

Reyna: Thank you for your patience WEB. And I apologize if this has inconvenience you.

WEB: I bought my magicjack and it said it was included and free. Now they want to charge for it.

WEB: My service is up in November and I will be swtiching.

WEB: I know its not your fault but you can tell the people above you how disapointed I am.

Reyna: I understand how frustrating this issue has become WEB and I understand how you feel however since this chat is recorded your issue will be noted.

WEB: Ok thank you. Maybe it will help with future customers but for me this is my last week with magicjack. And as a person who has worked in IT for two decades and who has recommended magicjack to MANY MANY MANY individuals I will no longer be recommending it to anyone. As a mater of fact the one individual who just went out the other day and got magicjack for the first time, I will be telling him to box it up and send it back.

Reyna: I will understand WEB.

WEB: thank you for your time. And listening to me rant. Bait and switch is a BAD BAD BAD business model.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am switching to netTALK. I know its not perfect but I am so mad about the bait and switch with magicjack. I am tired of no name showing on my caller id. I am tired of the low volume levels on my phone.
Palerider0098
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Call Forwarding? Reply with quote

If you have a MJ that was activated prior to September of this year you can get to your "Call Forwarding" settings by using this link: https://web06.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html

I have been using this link to manipulate two of my MJ's that are older; However the MJ that I purchased two weeks ago is a No Go, it is now an Extra that you must buy separately.
doug2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Really MAD Reply with quote

The only reason I had MJ was to use the call forwarding. I never placed a call or received a call thru the device. All call were forwarded to my cell phone. It worked great!!!!! Then it stopped working.

After spending way too much time with "Tech Support" stationed in MARS somewhere .... I found out the truth. Now they cannot give me an availability date for the new optional call forwarding.

A good company would have the replacement in the wings before terminating the old service. You do not do that to your customers!!!
And offer NO SOLUTION. Just a "We no think you what date when be" reply. Who can undertand THAT????

I am no longer a CUSTOMER ..... and I will tell ALL of my friends.

Sell you shares if you have any .... this company sucks and is going to die.
wen8044
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:51 pm Post subject:
I just installed my 5th MagJack only to find out I couldn't find call forwarding in menu so I came to this forum I find they are now charging, They didn't even notify me of any change. so far 3 of my MJ are still working on call forwarding, guess they are waiting till I renew but I got news for them, there are other services such as netTalk that still have all the features so I will be switching unless Magic Jack changes this for all the olderer customers but I doubt that happening as greed of money is on there there mind.
it's like everything else in life you find a good thing and in a small amount of time people get greedy and want more, in other words get what you can then set on your can. I will probably get refund on this newest MagicJack and buy nettalk
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about contacting support if your call forwarding still works. They are asking customers for their phone numbers that still have call forwarding so they can disable it. DONT TELL THEM WHICH NUMBERS STILL HAVE CALL FORWARDING!!!

I am porting my number to netTALK. I chatted with Magicjack and told them I didnt think I should get stuck paying $30 for porting out since they took away a feature in the middle of my subscription they said I would get FOR FREE. I argued and talked to a manager(probably same person with different screen name) and they closed the chat on me. I contacted netTALK and asked them if Magicjack could hold up my port if I didnt pay magicjacks $30 charge for porting out and he said "NO. The port will go thru as planned on the set date".

I just dont understand how they can leave the customers in the dark about call forwarding. Take it away then try and HIDE the fact they they WILL charge for it when it comes back. I WILL NEVER BE A MAGICJACK CUSTOMER AGAIN. If you notice I am the second member in the memberlist of these forums. That tells you how long I have been a customer. I helped setup the forums to help people after they shut down the chat service they used to have where magicjack employees and users could help one another. I used to spend hours a day helping others with technical issues and they have done nothing but stab us in the back.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is off the Magicjack Q&A section on their website from september.

-------------------------------------
Question
Can I use magicJack to forward calls to my cell phone?

Answer
YES, if available, visit http://my.magicjack.com and login to set up Call Forwarding. Click "Call Forwarding" under the "Call Features" tab and follow the prompts to check out.

The call forwarding feature may not be used to forward calls to conference, platform and non-ILEC area telephone numbers.

Plan Options: 100 minutes per month $4.95/year, or 500 minutes per month $19.95/year.
shushwap
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am switching over to Nettalk... I refuse to pay MJ to allow me to call forward
Darkbob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest BS from Magic Jack.

You are now chatting with 'Natasha'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554084365728X

Natasha: Hello, how may I help you?

Bob: Hi there. How do I log into my MagicJack account and set up callforwarding, pay bills, etc.

Natasha: Thanks for addressing your concerns.

Natasha: Please wait while I check that for you

Natasha: As of now, we cannot do the process of the call forwarding and other features to your magicjack. But rest assure that we can process it in a couple of minutes or hours.

Natasha: We are doing some upgrades, our engineers are working to get them completed as fast as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Bob: Ok. So the web address is the same? My.magicjack.com?

Natasha: Yes, that is correct.

Bob: So has there been a change to the call forwarding feature? You can still use it, right?

Natasha: We do not have the full access on the features, but rest assure that the upgrades will be done as soon as possible.

Bob: So I'm not clear. How long has the feature been down and when will it be back? Is there a charge to use it?

Natasha: We do not have the exact timeframe, but you can chat us back if you need some information. We will be glad to assist you.

Bob: Is there a charge to use call forwarding?

Natasha: No, there is no charge for the call forwarding since it is a free feature of magicjack.

Bob: That's what I thought but the web forum has a lot of talk about charges for this feature. Are you sure?

Natasha: Yes, I am sure.

Bob: Has the feature been down for 2 months?

Natasha: No, at this moment only.

Bob: There's a LOT of talk in the forum about this feature being down for 2 months and charges from MagicJack for the feature. LOTS of people having problems. I think you may be wrong about this.

Natasha: Okay, for this yes the call forwarding features in not yet available, we can access the call forwarding through link as of now.

Bob: So what is the link?

Natasha: This link "https://web01.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html " we can access that one once the update us already done

Bob: Oh. Are we talking hours or days or weeks? Any guess? I'm leaving for the USA tomorrow and I need to call forward.

Natasha: Just a couple of minutes or hours Bob

Bob: Ok thanks. I'll check back
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are absolutely lying. Below is the QA FROM THEIR OWN SITE.

Your Question
Can I use magicJack to forward calls to my cell phone?

Answer
YES, if available, visit http://my.magicjack.com and login to set up Call Forwarding. Click "Call Forwarding" under the "Call Features" tab and follow the prompts to check out.

The call forwarding feature may not be used to forward calls to conference, platform and non-ILEC area telephone numbers.

Plan Options: 100 minutes per month $4.95/year, or 500 minutes per month $19.95/year.

http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-2926669063804784961/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=call%2bforwarding&sf=101113&st=455836&documentid=345568&action=view
LessImpressed
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

I'm not going to bore anybody by pasting in the two support chats that got me where I am now. Up to October, 2012, I was a happy Magic Jack Standard user. That started in March of 2009. I cut the AT&T wires, plugged my Standard's output phone wire into a wall jack and the MJ Standard into a powered USB hub and it ran like a scalded dog. Sorry, born in Texas.
Line got flaky about mid-2011, they had me try some stuff and then sent me a new unit for just the shipping and handling. Less than $11.00.
Features worked, voice worked, no more problems than I had with AT&T.
Still a happy camper. So happy, I extended my service another 5 years.
My most frequently used MJ feature was Call Forwarding. VERY useful.
Decided I needed a second line (have a 2-line cordless base), so I bought a MJ+ from Best-buy and a L1, L2, L1/L2 adapter. Plugged the Standard into the L1 jack, MJ+ into the L2 jack and the wire to the wall jack into the L1/L2 jack. Bingo!!! I had a 2-line phone again. Haaaaaaaappy camper.
Things looked so good I had them move my years and number from the MJ Standard to the MJ+. Worked like I planned it. Paid them for a year to reactivate the MJ Standard and made it my secondary line. Man. These folks were GOOD!!!
So I went online and went to features to set up Call Forwarding for the devices I'd just installed, modified, messed with and made myself feel better than I have since I retired and couldn't find CF in the features. I know it was there when I started all the above stuff because I forwarded my primary line before I started with the changes. They gave me that CF link, but all that allowed me to do was turn off CF. The link hasn't worked since.
Got all that baffle-gab about it will be available at an unknown time that you see all through this thread. The other thing I see is a lot of angst in the dialogs folks pasted into their notes. Angst ain't productive.
Once I decided that MJ was exercising their "Terms of Service" rights to change their service without warning, I set about to vote with my feet.
This is the story of my success:
10/2/2012 - Started the MJ+ addition to my phone service.
10/2/2012 - Found out my favorite feature wasn't available, and when they make it so it won't be free anymore, Toto.
11/2/2012 - Had the "top 10%" chat tech refund the year I'd bought for the second number (old MJ). The refund actually posted in about 48 hours.
11/3/2012 - Using the chat ID number they give you from 11/2, I engaged them again. I gave them the chat ID # and asked for immediate escalation to a "top 10%" chat tech. Wasn't immediate, but took less than 10 minutes.
She read the 11/2 chat and asked right away if what I wanted was to move the years and number from the new MJ+ to the old MJ. I said yes, she gently tried to talk me out of it with things like "even if you go back, you still won't have call forwarding". Ain't that a crock. But I said do it. She did. After less than an hour on 11/3 I had my primary line on the old device along with the 2017 expiration date. Got it done early enough to return the MJ+ to Best-buy. That credit's also shown up on my card.
So now I'm a single-line guy without Call Forwarding. A small step for a man, a giant leap backward for Magic Jack.
I figure that I've spent a couple of hundred bucks with MJ since 3/2009. I just did a spreadsheet function that tells me I've been a customer for 44 months. Over that time I would have paid $1,760.00 to AT&T. I'm way ahead, just pissed off at MJ.
I went to Walmart online and ordered a NetTalk DUO for $49.95, including a year's service. When it gets here, and if it works, I will port my current MJ number to NetTalk and MJ's lost a customer. If it doesn't work, I'll stay with Magic Jack and wait to see what Google decides about charging for Google Voice in 2013. That works great and right now, for the features I use, it's free.
Bottom line is:
If you are unhappy with MJ, use their chat to [b][u]get to a "top 10%" chat person. They have done a complex change in my account with nary a glitch:
1. Moved my 2017 expiration date and number from MJ to MJ+. No charge.
2. Gave me a new number and reactivated my original MJ for a year, $29.99+tax and the Al Gore fees.
3. When I became an unhappy customer due to CF, refunded and deactivated the action on the original MJ. Credit showed up in a couple of days.
4. Moved my 2017 expiration date and number from MJ+ to MJ. No charge.
I'm not happy, but I'm over $1,500.00 ahead for all the time since 3/2009. The especially tasty part of the $1,500.00 is that about a third of it was taxes and fees. A buck not paid to the gummint is an 8-point buck. Sorry, Texan.
Can't really complain about Magic Jack. Mostly good, way cheap, easier to get rid of than love handles. But it's ultimately bye-bye Borislov. Hopefully today will be bye-bye Obama as well.
GO VOTE.
BILLY_KIDD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: how's nettalk working for you? Reply with quote

[quote="shushwap"]I am switching over to Nettalk... I refuse to pay MJ to allow me to call forward[/quote]

A lot of us are having NT quality issues
duter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent some time with customer service who was giving me the same runaround they were apparently giving everyone back in SEPTEMBER.

SIX months later -- still not available huh?

So went back to Chat and expressed my displeasure then received a bunch of pasted garbage from their terms of service.

This has got to be the most unethical and deceptive "legitimate" business I have ever come across. Just rip a 5 year fee from me without telling me the ONLY feature I use Magic Jack for is no longer available.

Are they serious?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: