magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack on Ubuntu 8.10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmbrar
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack on Ubuntu 8.10 Reply with quote

I just installed Linux Ubuntu 8.10 and my magic jack is not working. I am very new to Linux also. is there any way that I can get this thing to work on Ubuntu 8.10.

it is recognized as i can see it in when i did the search.

please help and i don't want to install windows and this is my home phone too.

much appreciate any help.

thanks
davrow
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ doesn't work under Linux natively. Many use VMWare on Ubuntu.
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ubuntu, the magicjack is recognized as a soundcard, just like in windows. However, the software does not load so you will have to find your SIP info and then load it into a linux softphone.

To use the MJ device with a softphone, you'll have to get your SIP information from the dongle. See this post to learn how to do that: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stroths-mj-utilities-suite-sip-grabber-upgrader-and-more-t4230.html

Please see here about configuring some softphones:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/linux-softphones-t739.html
If you want to use twinkle, just browse to www.getdeb.net and search for it, the newest version is there. Be sure to download the one for 8.10 and your specific architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) as using the wrong one will cause lots of problems (believe me!).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: