magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack plus getting hot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need a lid on the Magic Jack Plus, I have taken my entire case off of mine for great ventelation.
Denny
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think you need a lid on the Magic Jack Plus, I have taken my entire case off of mine for great ventelation.
Denny

I agree 100% my Magic jack been working perfect since I poped the front "faceplate" off of it. I think it was a major design flaw to not have any heat vents built into the magic jack, no wonder so many bad reviews it took me a long time to figure out the problem (thanks to this thread)

Denny does your magic jack now work pretty much perfectly? if so how long?
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayo, Works perfectly for the past 2 months...No problem at all.
Denny
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most recently I've had a few drop offs , but I think what is happening in this case my internet connection is faulty. I don't seem to have many problems, but if it rains outside I have more drop calls. Must be getting a small surge and then disconnects, and then i have to flush the router and modem. Then it works fine. But I'm thinking a lot of my MJ problems are probably faulty cable connection problems. Well be looking into that idea. I don't have much rain here so... But MJ temperature seems to be fine
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: My Magic Jack Flashing blue light Reply with quote

My MJ plus was acting strange today. Dropping off a few times. Sounded like a FAX machine was running in backgound a couple times. Wouldn't hold a dial tone. But if you tried enough times the call would finally go through. Now it is just flashing a blue light. and it will only work if i plug it into my computer. I double checked connections, power source all seem to be fine. Hey Denny2 , if i tell them my MJ is overheating will that come with a new receptacle to USB adapter or will it only come with the MagicJack? Also my MJ plus is over a year old will they still cover it?
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "Livin Large", the Magic Jack has a lifetime warranty, just go to their customer help text thing and tell them you want a new one because of overheating issues..
I don't think it's the power adapter messing up.
They will charge you $9.95 for shipping and you get the whole kit.
Denny2
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Denny2 and here is what I got when I went to MagicJack Live help:

Is the blue light on the front of your magicJack PLUS blinking or solid when plugged into the power adapter?
Solid
Blinking

Request a FREE replacement power adapter by CLICKING HERE
ok

And I try to go back into tech chat and I only get : you do not need to speak with a tech if you have a blue blinking MagicJack, request for free power adapter. So I did. This must be a big problem for these guys.Im going to see how well my MJplus works just plugged into my computer. I usually don't have it plugged in to it. So If it works ok Ill settle for the free power adapter. If it doesn't Ill be getting back on with them

Item Description Qty Price Each Total Price Charge Date
magicJack PLUS Replacement Power Adapter 1 $0.00 $0.00 FREE
No Shipping & Handling $0.00 FREE
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my new power adapter arrived ( took approx 4 days) . MJ plus with new adapter working fine. Actually I have been using the MagicJack Plus plugged into my computer this week. I have found the connections never dropped off and the voice quality sounded as good as a land line connection. Ill be checking the temperatures of the new adapter with the MJ+ attached.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have poped off my faceplate , I have had very few issues... I still drop once and awhile (but all my friends and family know about it already, so they just call me back) OR Ill hear the odd weird beep on my end.. but its so rare i really dont care.

Again thanks denny.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayo: that is exactly how it works for me too. My friends and family know if it drops off, its my MagicJack. We call it " MagicJack Dropoff". But if I get too frustrated and if there are too many drop calls I will plug it into the computer itself. Fortunately its been working pretty well. I have my face plate popped off too. I just blow the dust out if I see it getting some built-up.
paultergeist
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been close to two years now that I bought the MJ+, and it has never worked correctly on my Linksys Router, nor directly connected to my cable modem either when used alone. The blue light has never flashed, and it does get quite warm but not hot.

It only works almost flawlessly when connected to my computer. I do get the occasional disconnect, but that's it.

So I paid extra for the MJ+ and could never get my money's worth because I have to use it as a regular MJ.

I contacted technical support chat dozens of times, and they tried dozens of things to get it working right, but to no avail.

It works, but I have choppy sound that comes in "waves". I can talk for 10 minutes with no problems, then, 30 seconds of choppiness, then another 5 minutes of perfect sound, then another 30 secondes of choppiness...

Connected to the computer (which accesses the internet via Wifi) no problems whatsoever. I've come to the conclusion that MJ+ is an underpowered ARM processor crappy product. The network is also "underpowered" with not enough available "lines" causing occasional time-sharing drop-offs .
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue light should NOT blink - there is a tiny little white light behind/to one side of the blue light, this little white light should blink, almost in unison with the blinking orange/amber light.
Have never had any "big" problems with my MJ+, by it's own or connected to the pc.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I followed the directions from this Forum and got into the settings of the wireless router and opened up some ports specifically for MagicJack Plus to use. It seem to help. I assumed everyone else has already done this. If you haven't done it you should IMO

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/port-forwarding-instructions-for-the-magicjack-plus-guide-t12420.html
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinLarge wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you all, but I followed the directions from this Forum and got into the settings of the wireless router and opened up some ports specifically for MagicJack Plus to use.

I'm confused. Exactly how did making tweaks to your router cause your MJ+'s power supply to become strong enough to do its job?
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
LivinLarge wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you all, but I followed the directions from this Forum and got into the settings of the wireless router and opened up some ports specifically for MagicJack Plus to use.

I'm confused. Exactly how did making tweaks to your router cause your MJ+'s power supply to become strong enough to do its job?

This has nothing to do with the power supply.
It has helped me with dropoffs. But this maybe different results for different people. MagicJack Plus is ever evolving. And we are the guinea pigs.
duckmon243
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie and must say that I love this form. I've got a ton of good information from you guys. I'm quite sure that I have a heat problem but it's not with dropped calls. After I've been on the phone for a half hour so I get kind of garbled sound kinda like bad cell phone reception area. After reading what you guys been trying I'm definitely gonna use the extended cable and split the case open on my magicJack. I'm going to try going step beyond that. I'm gonna use an USB adapter that comes from like a cigarette lighter/power port outlet that you power a lot of your USB voltage type devices in your car. I have an adapter that plugs into wall/AC and it converts to a cigarette lighter so I can plug my USB plug right into then go with the extended cable into the magicJack. What do you think? Any thoughts?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with the "cigarette lighter adapter" business at all. Just use the mj's own a.c. adapter, but connect it to the mj+ via the included usb extension cable. All you're looking to do here is to get the device out of direct physical contact from the a.c. adapter.

Anyway, I'd first try just that alone. If it doesn't fix the problem then open up the case.

But it sounds to me like the issue may very well be with your ISP and/or your router. If you have a router that's separate from the modem (not a combined modem/router unit), try (temporarily, just for testing purposes) disconnecting the router from the modem and connecting the mj+ directly to the modem and see if that corrects the problem; if it does, chances are the problem's with your router's hardware, firmware and/or settings.
duckmon243
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the extension cable with the cigarette adapter. The heat at the MJ+ has dropped noticeably. I had one extended conversation just tonight and had no garbled sound. So far so good. Thanks for your follow up. Think that as an added precaution that I will split open the case.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds promising!

I don't see how using a cigarette lighter contraption (vs. the mj's a.c. adapter coupled with the USB extension cable) would make any difference (unless you received a defective a.c. adapter or it somehow went bad), but it certainly doesn't hurt the mj+ as long as its voltage and wattage output are the right amount and consistently so.

BTW - MJ has been offering consumers one free replacement a.c. adapter per mj+ device, so I guess some of those a.c. adapters have indeed proved to be defective. And plenty of folks have also been successful at using other a.c. adapers with the mj+.
duckmon243
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad......kinda! Previous posts had suggested that the power adapter provided by MJ did run hot. So just to eliminate that possibility, I did try my "cigarette plug" adapter. Since then I have plugged in the MJ adapter by itself to see how much heat that it generate. The MJ power adapter did not seem hot at all. I may try it with some sort of component plugged into it, so as to see if it runs hot under load.

Like I said, now I was using the extension cable provided by MJ and the heat is noticeably cooler and the garbled audio has went away.....at least during my first long conversation. I able pretty much convinced that MJ+ problems are due to heat. I intend to split the case so that the internal components are better able to cool.

Thanks
NH74
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Good To Know.... Reply with quote

Good To Know I'm Not The Only One Having This Issue.
We Have Been Having Issues With People Saying They Tried Calling Myself Or My Wife, To Which We Both Would Reply Nope The Phone Never Rang. We Would Have A Dial tone But When You Tried Calling Someone Nothing Would Happen.
So I Was Almost To The Point Of Going Out And Buying A New Cordless Phone Until I Came Home Today And Could Smell The Scent Of Very Hot Electronics. Come To Find Out It Was The Magic Jack.
It Was So Hot When I Separated The Power Adapter From The Unit That I Dropped It As It Was Too Hot To Hold.
As Per Responses In Here I Have Hooked It Back Up Using The Usb Extension On The Computer Instead Of The Power Adapter.
Problem Resolved

All I Can Say Is Im Glad That I Found This Out Now...As I Could See Our Son Knocking Some Papers Off The Desk Onto The Unit And Starting A Fire.
Yes It Got That Hot
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Good To Know.... Reply with quote

NH74 wrote:
We Have Been Having Issues With People Saying They Tried Calling Myself Or My Wife, To Which We Both Would Reply Nope The Phone Never Rang. We Would Have A Dial tone But When You Tried Calling Someone Nothing Would Happen.
So I Was Almost To The Point Of Going Out And Buying A New Cordless Phone Until I Came Home Today And Could Smell The Scent Of Very Hot Electronics. Come To Find Out It Was The Magic Jack.
It Was So Hot When I Separated The Power Adapter From The Unit That I Dropped It As It Was Too Hot To Hold.
As Per Responses In Here I Have Hooked It Back Up Using The Usb Extension On The Computer Instead Of The Power Adapter.
Problem Resolved

All I Can Say Is Im Glad That I Found This Out Now...As I Could See Our Son Knocking Some Papers Off The Desk Onto The Unit And Starting A Fire.
Yes It Got That Hot

- It may also be that your MJ+ a.c. adapter is shot. You should be able to get one replacement for free from MJ - suggest you do a live help chat to request one. Then use the usb extension to connect the two together.
imajeff
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Good To Know.... Reply with quote

Certainly my experience with the new MagicJack Plus and the new new 2014 version I just got, they get really hot because that's what they do. I should certainly never have to pay $9.95 to replace their crappy design for them, it's not even worth that much when it heats up like that! When the chips heat up so much even when still working, they will wear out sooner.

NH74 wrote:
We Have Been Having Issues With People Saying They Tried Calling Myself Or My Wife, To Which We Both Would Reply Nope The Phone Never Rang. We Would Have A Dial tone But When You Tried Calling Someone Nothing Would Happen[...]

@NH74 Are you James T Kirk, how did you capitalize Every... Single... First... Letter?
greenman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Good To Know.... Reply with quote

NH74 wrote:
...All I Can Say Is Im Glad That I Found This Out Now...As I Could See Our Son Knocking Some Papers Off The Desk Onto The Unit And Starting A Fire.
Yes It Got That Hot
If it's too hot to touch, it becomes a safety issue. Was the AC adapter melting, smoking or baking itself to the point that it started to crack apart? In any case, I hope you're not using it anymore.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: getting hot Reply with quote

Running mine MJ+ now a few months after i got the free USB power adapter. MJ+ seemed to be working a little better for a while. Then I had not check the temp of my mj+ in months and i thought I better check it see how its doing. Well it just about burned my hand when I touched it. Calls were dropping off a lot more. So I run my fan on it to cool it down. Then one of my buddies that call me weekly told me between each ring he was getting a MagicJack advertisement. For each ring he got another ad. So this pissed me off so I plugged it into the USB on the comp and the commercials stopped. And the drop offs were a lot less. Yesterday I had enough I chatted with MJ tech and told him I need a replacement. So they are sending me a replacement for 11.80 . I will see how well this new works when I get it. Seems as though they are still trying to figure out all the bugs in MJ......at our expense. To be continued.......
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok got the new replacement MJ+. I came with USB power adapter and all cables. I talked with my friend for 3 hours no drop offs. We will continue to observe The new MJ+
greenman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinLarge wrote:
Ok got the new replacement MJ+. I came with USB power adapter and all cables. I talked with my friend for 3 hours no drop offs. We will continue to observe The new MJ+
Perhaps there was a glitch in the power regulation circuitry on the first one you recieved. I'm glad your second one seems to be working more appropriately.
fredjones1735
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: plugged in part of magic jack plus 2014 Reply with quote

the rest of the magic jack gets warm,the part that plugs into adapter gets hot.i am thinking it has something to do with all adapters or there is a faulty power supply(or inadequate).maybe there newest one does not overheat,i have magic jack plus 2014.i guess magic jack company does not want to admit about overheating issues.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: I know this is an OLD post, but I wanted to address this... Reply with quote

ecobbMJ wrote:
Another thought - I see the MJ included ac/usb adaptor has a 1 amp output. That, I believe is much higher than the typical cpu usb output.

Why not substitute an adaptor that has a lower current output, like .5 amp? Wouldn't that reduce the heat being generated?

I'll see if I can find one and try it out. JC

The Amp Rating of an adapter doesn't mean it's pushing out that much current all the time.
It's just how much current can be drawn from (sucked out) of it, without it getting damaged.
Don't feel bad about not knowing this. I too use to think this same thing, many years ago, before I learned electronics. Smile

I also wanted to say, the adapter you choose is important. Exclamation

If it's a really cheap type, made poorly, it may even ADD noise or interference to the circuit it's connected to, or may even cause damage to that circuit because of spike-voltages within the cheap adapter, if it's not filtered properly, or it's designed poorly.

I just looked at my iPad2 power adapter and it says it gives 5.1 volts DC and can support up to 2.1 Amps being drawn from it.
So, the Apple iPad adapter is a good choice to use if your original MagicJack-Plus adapter screws-up. Smile

I also saw an article from someone who opened the iPad adapter, and showed how it's made.
It looked very good inside, with special added circuitry to stabilize the voltage / current and it's filtered very well too.

They showed waveforms from several others, and the Apple one.
Apple gave much less ripple-voltage, and no spike voltages.

http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

It's possible the MagicJack-Plus adapter may be causing some issues with voice quality for some people, or dropped-call issues.

Just a thought. Wink
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: 2 outputs - 1 AMP and 2.1 AMP charging at the same time :) Reply with quote

****EDITED****
Much to my surprise, this company no longer lists the adapter for sale.
The fact is still true though... regarding the adapter chosen,
...about it making a difference with circuit operation.
It just means you need to find another company selling a quality adapter.

I eMailed the company and was told they're working on another adapter/charger
That's why the one called "Fuel" is no longer showing on their site.

There's no word from them when it will be done, and what specs the new one will have.

------------------------

Hey...looking around the internet, I found the ideal replacement adapter for your MagicJack Plus.

This one has Two USB connection outputs (total of 3.1 AMPS)

One of them is a 1 AMP output, and the other is a 2.1 AMP output.

So, this means you can power your MagicJack Plus, with the 1 AMP,
AND charge your iPhone, or iPad with the 2.1 AMP, at the same time.

It looks like it's made with quality circuitry, as the Apple product is.
No spike voltages, and fully regulated for voltage and current.

They also give you an option to order it with, or without, the USB Data cable, with the original 30-pin or the new Lightning connector.

http://phonedoctors.com/product/fuel-by-phone-doctors-3-1-amp-dual-usb-home-charger/

Right now, at the time of this post, it's on sale. Around $18 without the cable.
(normally $25.00 without any cable)

There's also a LIFETIME warranty on the adapter.

They also repair all types of phones, and sell the DIY parts too.

This isn't an advertisement for them. Smile I just happened to see it, looking around the internet for adapters similar to the Apple version.

I've been looking for a place like this, for a LONG time.
Rather than purchasing from China, ...not knowing what the quality will be.

I hope I've helped someone with this.

Last edited by momo on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Tests on knock-offs and Original power adapters, comparisons Reply with quote

This is why some power adapters are not good choices for the MagicJack Plus

Ken Shirriff's blog has an article where 12 power adapters were tested,
including Apple's and the cheap knock-offs.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

You'll see how bad adapters can create noise on your phone-line or other
issues, using it with the MagicJack Plus, or even using a crapy adapter to
charge your phone or tablet, or view it.

There's oscilloscope photos, and technical stuff that's explained very well.

It will give you an eye-full.... Smile
Traijan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tests on knock-offs and Original power adapters, compari Reply with quote

momo wrote:

I've been using my Logitech adapter (one of the ones that came with my Logitech MX performance mice) and it solved the issues that I had with my MagicJack + (which was that the MJ+ wouldn't allow outgoing calls, I'd press the number buttons on my phone but the MJ+ unit would not take them as being dialed).

I'm not sure whether it puts out less amperage than the stock MJ+ adapter or not, but for me, the MJ+ has never gotten hot, of course mine is a 2013 product so maybe they made changes to it since the OP posted about his trouble of it getting hot, or perhaps he had a defective unit in some way.

Never the less, my Logitech mouse charging adapter has worked fine with my MJ+ since June of this year.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tests on knock-offs and Original power adapters, compari Reply with quote

Traijan wrote:
momo wrote:

I've been using my Logitech adapter (one of the ones that came with my Logitech MX performance mice) and it solved the issues that I had with my MagicJack + (which was that the MJ+ wouldn't allow outgoing calls, I'd press the number buttons on my phone but the MJ+ unit would not take them as being dialed).

I'm not sure whether it puts out less amperage than the stock MJ+ adapter or not, but for me, the MJ+ has never gotten hot, of course mine is a 2013 product so maybe they made changes to it since the OP posted about his trouble of it getting hot, or perhaps he had a defective unit in some way.

Never the less, my Logitech mouse charging adapter has worked fine with my MJ+ since June of this year.

That's amazing..!
I guess that articles point has just been proven.

I bet most of the trouble issues posted on this site can be fixed by using a better quality adapter.
And the one given with the MagicJack Plus is most-likely causing many, if not most, problems experienced by customers over the years..! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: