magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack will not start with EWF enabled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STxFarmer
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack will not start with EWF enabled Reply with quote

Noticed the Magic Jack was not running tonight and tried everything to get it started. Once I disabled EWF and rebooted then it started right up. Enabled EWF, rebooted, no Magic Jack. Disabled EWF, rebooted, and there it is again. As long as I leave EWF off Magic Jack will run. I am running Stroth's v1.2 and never had this issue before.

Any ideas?
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue on a Neoware CA15 with a stock 256MB image and was finally able to fix it. Try this...it might work for you:

1) Disable EWF and restart Windows with MJ removed from the TC
2) Navigate to C:\Windows\Documents and Settings\Administrator(or whatever your user name is)\Application Data and delete the entire folder named "mjusbsp". The "Application Data" folder is hidden so if you can't see it go to Control Panel, select Folder Options, click the View tab and tick "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Also delete the MJ shortcut on your desktop.
3) Enable EWF and restart with MJ plugged into the TC
4) Windows will startup but Mj will not. Open the MJ drive letter that is 1.62MB in size and double click "autorun.exe". You'll see the "Download in Progress" and then "Lucky You" after the initial splash. Let it finish and MJ should start.
5) Commit changes and restart Windows, leaving MJ plugged in. MJ should launch at startup.

The key is to install MJ with EWF enabled. For some unknown reason it did not work properly installing MJ with EWF disabled. Let us know if it works for you...good luck!!
Alpman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STx - Another solution is to replace the DOM with a Microdrive and disable EWF altogether. Then you don't have to worry about committing the drive for MJ updates either. BTW - I thought your screen name looked familiar. It looks like you may be thinking the same way because I just realized you purchased one from me on ebay the other day. (Alpman AKA acpcguy)

Last edited by Alpman on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
STxFarmer
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue wtih this was the dongle no longer liked the USB port on the TC and once it was moved to a powered USB hub all was well again. Just strange.
newwonder01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: MJ is not auto starting is EWF is enabled Reply with quote

I have started with EWF disabled and working fine, if I enabled back then MJ is not auto starting.

Am I missing something here..
BADBOY
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is EWF ?
my MJ's wont start on a reboot either .
I have to unplug and replug them in to get them to start after booting.
Could this EWF be my problem as well ?

Thanks
R0ss
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BADBOY wrote:
What is EWF ?
my MJ's wont start on a reboot either .
I have to unplug and replug them in to get them to start after booting.
Could this EWF be my problem as well ?

Thanks

The cf cards in thin clients have finite read writes. T o prevent premature failure of the drive EWF prevents changes from being written to the CF drive. Instead they are written to a RAM Drive. To commit changes you must tell ewf to do so.
Elsewhere in the forum it suggests using a POWERED Usb Hub for the MJ. I purchased one from ebay and have not had any problems with MJ since. It seems that eliminates a host of issues some have with MJ on Thin Client.

Ross
Alpman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already discussed this issue with BADBOY and his problem is not with EWF since that feature has been removed from his MicroDrive thin client. His problem is a power issue which will be solved when he gets a powered hub, just like stx and many others on the forum that have had similar problems. Some thin clients just don't have enough juice to kickstart the mJ on bootup (especially older version mJ hardware, which consumes more current than the current mJ's). The powered hub fixes this issue and a few others as well. Consider it low cost insurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: