Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magicjack and Directv?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trellaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack and Directv?

I know some people have apparently gotten Magicjack to communicate with Directv IRDs.

I am interested in trying this out BUT will Directv know where my connection is originating from? IP addy etc?

Thanks
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Good luck with that one,MJ doesn't handle data very well especially from DirecTV receiver units.

2400 baud it the fastest data connection so far,9600 for fax in some cases will work.

Your RID# "Receiver ID" is tied to your billing address,if you connect successfully.

MJ works good for voice and not much else,It's certainly not a replacement for a POTS line.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I have 3 directv receivers and MJ works with two of them. It works with an old samsumg receiver and the newer hd dvr receiver. It does not work with my newer standard receiver I got from them after my other older receiver broke. I'm not sure if it goes by ip address or not if they know where you are located. In most situations they never seem to care where you live as long as they get paid.
trellaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject:

sabresfan wrote:
I have 3 directv receivers and MJ works with two of them. It works with an old samsumg receiver and the newer hd dvr receiver. It does not work with my newer standard receiver I got from them after my other older receiver broke. I'm not sure if it goes by ip address or not if they know where you are located. In most situations they never seem to care where you live as long as they get paid.

Hmmm do I go directly from magicjack to receiver?

Thanks

Its worth a try I think Smile
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject:

My MJ is hooked up to the latest DirectTV HD DVR receiver no issues here almost a year. i didnt really had to nothing special i just split the out port from the MJ and ran a phone cord to the receiver and another cord to the phone.

btw, the MJ i have is an older version dunno if that really makes any difference, bought my MJ Jan 2008.
trellaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject:

kulumbaa wrote:
My MJ is hooked up to the latest DirectTV HD DVR receiver no issues here almost a year. i didnt really had to nothing special i just split the out port from the MJ and ran a phone cord to the receiver and another cord to the phone.

btw, the MJ i have is an older version dunno if that really makes any difference, bought my MJ Jan 2008.

Simple enough. What does this allow you to do?
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject:

what are you trying to do with the MJ and DirectTv? i thought directtv needs phone line to check location etc?

i do have my direct tv also hooked to my router which assigned it an ip for on demand stuff etc.
trellaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject:

kulumbaa wrote:
what are you trying to do with the MJ and DirectTv? i thought directtv needs phone line to check location etc?

i do have my direct tv also hooked to my router which assigned it an ip for on demand stuff etc.

Directv does not need a phone line.
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject:

then what are you trying to accomplish by hooking MJ to it?
trellaine
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:

kulumbaa wrote:
then what are you trying to accomplish by hooking MJ to it?

I thought I could get VOD but I read you need an ethernet connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: