Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
magicjack and international calls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reymix
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: magicjack and international calls

hi everybody im new with magicjack i purchase my own MJ soon... im research on internet so i read i can make international on any country...

so my question... it is TRUE or FALSE ? only in US, Canada and Puerto Rico ??
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: magicjack and international calls

reymix wrote:

Free calls to US and Canada (not exactly "unlimited" but if you stay below 2500 minutes per month it's ok, otherwise they want to charge you 1 cent per minute for US and Canada).

Calls to other countries cost more. The rates should be listed on the MJ web page. Probably in the knowledge base. Search for "international."

Mark
tloe
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:

How did you find out what their minute limit is? I recall seeing some speculation about it here, but nothing official from the company.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:

tloe wrote:
How did you find out what their minute limit is? I recall seeing some speculation about it here, but nothing official from the company.

I remember a couple people who said they'd been terminated for excessive use were told by dead chat (or someone at the phone number they were told to call, but nobody answered) that they could buy international minutes and it would be used for domestic long distance at .01 per minute.

It wasn't quite official (disclosed on the MJ site). But, a bit more than speculation.

Of course, if you talk a lot more than whatever MJ's limit is (2000-2500 minutes per month?), it could be beneficial to just spend another $40 for a second unit. A penny per minute adds up. If someone talks 4000 minutes, it would only take a month or two to pay back for the second MJ.

Mark

Mark
tloe
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm aware that the company mentions in their TOS about excessive usage, but of course fails to quantify their statement. I was just wondering how he came up with the 2500 minute cutoff...is this an estimate/guess or something gleaned from the tech chat?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:

tloe wrote:
I was just wondering how he came up with the 2500 minute cutoff...is this an estimate/guess or something gleaned from the tech chat?

I came to the 2000-2500 range based upon what the terminated people reported. I documented what I've heard here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21324662-magicjack-is-a-RIPOFF~start=20#21432106

It's probably more complicated. MJ probably looks at different things, like volume of calls versus duration of calls (200 one-second calls per day probably raises more concern than 1 200-minute call). Whether you use 1000 minutes in 2 days versus 2000 minutes in one month.

Mark
reymix
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:

my question... can i call other countrie for free ? like center america or south america

if not whats per minute ?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject:

reymix wrote:
my question... can i call other countrie for free ? like center america or south america

if not whats per minute ?

As mentioned in an earlier post:

>>> The rates should be listed on the MJ web page. Probably in the knowledge base. Search for "international."

I guess I could look up the rates for you if you provide the country names.

Mark
tloe
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Ok, thanks for the info. You'd have to talking on the phone for at least 1.5 hours per day, every day to go over 2500 minutes in a month. I don't use my MJ nearly that much, so this won't affect me, hopefully..
BTW, the international rate list is available here:
http://www.ymaxcorp.com/clec_rates.html
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject:

tloe wrote:
You'd have to talking on the phone for at least 1.5 hours per day, every day to go over 2500 minutes in a month. I don't use my MJ nearly that much, so this won't affect me, hopefully..

That's not too hard to do. I telecommute a lot. I spend a lot of time on toll-free conference bridges. For someone with a family of 5 (which includes teenagers), using MJ as a whole-house phone would be hard to exceed 3 hours per day.

But, as I said, buying two units to spread the usage would be cheaper than paying .01 per minute (reported by those who've been terminated).

tloe wrote:
BTW, the international rate list is available here:
http://www.ymaxcorp.com/clec_rates.html

Also here:

http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-73335289/cmd/kbresource/kb-8718529419815687177/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=international&sf=101113&sg=0&st=582690&documentid=334781&action=view

The last time I compared MJ's international rates it looked like lower rates could be found. If I used more international minutes than domestic, I'd look at vbuzzer.com.

Mark
sdjohnstone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: UK Calls

I use my MJ to call from near Seattle, to Manchester UK for 2 cents a minute (Thats to a land line phone)

The call quality is better than some of the land lines I have used, and thats on a MJ connected via wifi to a router 600' away. (I steal wifi; my 17" Laptop can pick up wifi, but not my 12" Notebook with the same intel PRO Wireless card). In all the service has been great, other than one day when calls did not want to go through.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: UK Calls

sdjohnstone wrote:
I use my MJ to call from near Seattle, to Manchester UK for 2 cents a minute (Thats to a land line phone)

The call quality is better than some of the land lines I have used, and thats on a MJ connected via wifi to a router 600' away. (I steal wifi; my 17" Laptop can pick up wifi, but not my 12" Notebook with the same intel PRO Wireless card). In all the service has been great, other than one day when calls did not want to go through.

You may want to invest in a wireless range booster;)

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CaliforniaPlaya
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject:

To use 2000 for the minutes in one month is the same when using 100 minutes everyday for two months on the MagicJack when they call me and I call them together? I want to make sure it will work.

Thanks!
Melman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: magicjack and international calls

reymix wrote:
hi everybody im new with magicjack i purchase my own MJ soon... im research on internet so i read i can make international on any country...

I have used magicJack since May 2008 and for the most part it works great. You can only make those unlimited phone calls to USA, Canada and Puerto Rico. I am here in the USA and my girlfriend lives in China and soon I will travel there and I have bought her a magicJack so she will be able to call me for free from China to the USA and vice versa. Make sure your computer is optimized and is running in great shape to use with magicJack and you have a good internet connection. Do not be discouraged if you have a few problems at first like a few people, because most people have a great success using MJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: